Stories of people who know nothing about vaping trying to tell you about vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvarck31

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2017
The Land
So I have a couple little stories. My sister who wouldn't know the difference between a dog and a cat apparently. She likes to tell me how bad vaping is every time I see her. She tells me it's worse than cigarettes and that mods blow up and kill people all the time.

My best friend tried to tell me that what I'm doing is still smoking after I mentioned I hadn't smoked in 2 years now. And I said how do you figure? And he said you're just basically smoking through an electronic device instead of an actual cigarette. He said it's still combustible tobacco in your tank. I'm like WHATTTTTT. He had no clue what vaping even is.

I explained how it all worked and how there is no tobacco, just flavored liquid made from a few food grade ingredients. Then he went on to say that well there is nicotine in it so you might as well just smoke. UGH.

This jut goes to show the general public knows nothing about vaping. And I think because vaping is seen as something close to cigarettes or always being compared to it most people automatically think it's bad without doing any actual research for themselves.

EDIT: I wanted to add one more. I belong to another forum about video games and we have some off-topic sub-forums and I asked if anyone vaped and this guy replied to me and said You should really quit. It's not good for you. I recommend a nicotine patch or gum. I'm like WTF are you kidding me?

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I've had a few of those conversations. A few times I felt like I was able to make a dent in the wall of ignorance, but mostly not.

Don't think it's just vaping. In a place where a crazy guy with a website can convince people that a candidate for President is running a human trafficking ring out of a pizza joint the Age of Reason seems like a fading memory.

pvarck31

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2017
The Land
For your friend...
Is Nicotine Bad? Top 28 Nicotine Benefits + 4 Negative Effects - Selfhacked
Tell him to go easy on potatoes (and other vegetables) as it contains nicotine...:D
I love the dude, we've been best friends since kindergarten. But he is a cynical ....

He smoked for 5 years and act like he's the .... because he quit cold turkey. I just wasn't able to. And of course he thinks vaping is a crutch for me. Well it probably saved my life so I'll take that crutch.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@pvarck31 - Nope...you're not the only one who has stories like that. I'd bet that every vaper has similar ones to tell, or will have in the near future if they've not been vaping very long yet. I know I do...from conversations with a couple relatives, some longtime friends, some elderly neighbors I've known for 20+ years, etc. ALL of them have and/or had lots of wrong ideas and misinformation about vaping, ie. what vaping actually is, what eliquid is and is not made of, the differences between vaping and smoking, and on and on.

I can and do try to educate them about vaping and clear up anything they've heard or read that's wrong. But, with what's presented on TV, in newspapers, online, etc....it's an uphill battle to get them to believe everything I tell them about vaping. Most can understand and will believe some of it, but not all of it...yet.

Does it get under my skin sometimes, or frustrate me? Yes it does, especially when I know how much healthier I've become since quitting the smokes after 42+ years of them...when I started vaping almost 5 years ago. Do their comments make me think about quitting vaping? Nope...never, not at all. Many of those people will likely never fully understand vaping, and/or think it's better/healthier than smoking. So I've just got to do what I know is best for me, even if they don't understand it, nor see why I do it. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I don't feel the need to correct anyone on it anymore. It just seems to lead to heated debates and arguing. I just state that they don't have to like it or participate in it, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions and I do not care about their opinion. Then I take another drag and go on my merry way.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I don't feel the need to correct anyone on it anymore. It just seems to lead to heated debates and arguing. I just state that they don't have to like it or participate in it, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions and I do not care about their opinion. Then I take another drag and go on my merry way.
Try correcting a Fool and end up in the Fool pool.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
The moment I mention that I make my living by doing chemical analysis of tobacco smoke and e-cig vapor, they usually shut up and listen. Or at least shut up. So I really don't get into a lot of debates.
I still explain stuff if someone is interested, but I´ve given up on preaching a long time ago.

The main thing that always gets to me is that so many people still think that Nicotine is the problem. We know for 50 years now that it isn't, but you just cant get it out of peoples heads.

"Still Nicotine; you´re still an addict!"
"Poison!" "Nerve toxin!" "Cancer!"
Gee, shut up already.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
The moment I mention that I make my living by doing chemical analysis of tobacco smoke and e-cig vapor, they usually shut up and listen. Or at least shut up.
I still explain stuff if someone is interested, but I´ve given up on preaching a long time ago.

The main thing that always gets to me is that so many people still think that Nicotine is the problem. We know for 50 years now that it isn't, but you just cant get it out of peoples heads.

"Still Nicotine; you´re still an addict!" Gee, shut up already.
Tell them coffee causes cancer and see the shock and awe(well, it only causes cancer in California)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Well, i vape AND drink coffee. At the same time even. Woe is me, im doomed. On topic though, a woman at work once waved off a cloud i let out that the wind caught an blew her way and used a "foot long" burning cigarette to do it. Gave me a dirty look and said how much she hated the smell of "that stuff". I said i didnt realize how offensive strawberry scented vapor was. I told her that her cigarette smelled like south end of a north-bound mule, and by extension, her breath. I didnt make a new friend that day.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Friends, family, work mates etc have at one time or another mentioned exploding batteries or popcorn lung.
Its okay. Theyre only reacting to something theyve casually read about and only articles theyve been directed to.
I dont see it as a personal attack, its more about them being situationally unaware.
I dont feel I have to correct them but whenever I have felt the need to engage with them about vaping Ive found that they understand quickly they dont really have a clue about the subject, but more than that they dont really care about the subject anyway, they only thought they cared.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I gave up educating people a while ago, i usually just smile when i see someone covering their mouth or waving my clouds away, then proceed to take another hit.

If they ask about it sure i'll inform them but otherwise i don't care anymore.

It's like beating your head against a wall. I really would like to be an ambassador for vaping but it seems impossible, and is exhausting. My sister has my brother-in-law convinced that he is better off smoking than vaping. "It's worse than smoking" she says, so her husband continues to smoke a pack of Marboro reds per day.

hmmm...let's see...who to listen to?...my cardiologist or my misinformed sister?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I try to keep in mind that I am just like they are about other topics. Maybe that makes me an idiot also, but I just feel like I am regular folks mostly.
    I think that part of the problem is that people don't have the decency not to tread on someone else's turf.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I had a perfect stranger come up to me while vaping on the street last summer and tell me, "You know vaping is more dangerous than smoking." I asked her did she read that on Face Book, and she said, "Well yes, as a matter of fact I did." I asked her if she believed everything that she read on the internet, and she replied, "Of course not." I told her this is one of those things on the internet that she should not believe and that I had personally done the research and am comfortable that vaping is way more safer than smoking. But thank you for your concern and went about my business.

The earliest studies on e-cig use were tainted against vaping because they were sponsored by Big Tobacco and Big Pharma, who had their own self interests to protect. They viewed vaping as a threat to their future profits because they knew vaping could help smokers stop smoking. Current studies by reputable scientists have repeatedly shown that vaping is much safer than smoking tobacco. Social media outlets still depend upon the misinformation of those earlier studies. As usual these days, determine the source of who is funding the anti-vaping research and follow the money trail.

Yes, modern antifreeze uses propylene glycol (Pg), the same ingredient that is often used in e-liquid. What many people don't realize is that antifreeze manufacturers once used a similar ingredient (ethylene glycol) which was poisonous to animals that drank the liquid if it was allowed to collect on parking lots and die, so manufacturers changed over to propylene glycol which is not poisonous when consumed.

Is vaping the same as smoking? Both are nicotine delivery systems. But smoking is the combustion of dried plant material which results in tars and other carcinogenic substances found in the smoke. There is no smoke or combustion with the vaporization of e-liquid.

Is nicotine harmful? It depends upon the amount consumed. In large quantities, it can be considered a poison. If used in small or moderate quantities for vaping, it is essentually the same as caffeine -- a stimulent found in any number of popular drinks and food items (chocolate, anyone?). Nicotine may even have benefitual health benefits. Is Nicotine Bad? Top 28 Nicotine Benefits + 4 Negative Effects - Selfhacked

E-cigarettes explode? Yes, they can if you are ignorant about battery safety. E-cigarettes use lithium ion batteries which are extremely powerful for their size. If the user does not respect that power and practice safe battery habits then they are at risk. The vast majority of e-cig explosions have occured within a niche group of vapors who were using a type of non-electronic mechanical mod known as "hybrid" or faux hybrid direct battery mods using a juice attachment that was not designed for that device; because of this the battery shorted out and exploded. This is the result of user error because of ignorance on the behalf of the user not understanding their gear.

Many battery explosions occur when lithium batteries are carried unprotected in a pocket or purse. Contact with conductive metal coins or keys can short the batteries causing them to vent or explode. Always protect naked batteries in a plastic battery case.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread