Status
Not open for further replies.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
By all means Wally..if you get it coiled and in your tank unbroken, then the vape is bliss...it really is supurb. I cranked out another 15 yesterday and today....broke three during the process, ground the skin off of the tip of my "twisting" finger till it bled, and spent 4 1/2 hours doing it.

The work is tedious to make these....Just have to find a better way...
Thanks for keeping us informed on this.
I'm sure you guys are on to something big.

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
Zip and/or Bad...

The ceramic wick I got is 3/32" diameter.... they do not feel that fragile at all. These were named "FC-2000" and from zip's description of the ones he has messed with... I believe these are different.

They are different. They look slightly different too. The ones I am talking about (and making) are "fish sticks" made from air diffusers for aquariums. I have not purchased any of the FC2000's...I didn't want to spend $11.99 on 3.

In another thread, someone chimed in who did buy those and already broke all of them trying to coil them. I ground 6 of them this morning to 3/32" and talk about being paranoid just handling them. How do they vape Randy? Do you like them? What method did you use to coil?

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
Photos courtesy of Scubabatdan and other "ceramic" vapors:
The long one is PetSmart "Fish stick", the other 2 FC-2000
IMG_1497_zps9a678093.jpg

IMG_0701_zps4741fb1c.jpg

IMG_0710_zps0a544183.jpg

IMAG1452_zpsa17247f3.jpg

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I've coiled them two ways... and didn't feel that I was close to breaking them using either.

On the first two I coiled, with the ceramic rod out of the AGA-T so I wouldn't be putting any side shear forces on them... I just wrapped the coil directly onto them. Both times, the coils would relax and then spin on the ceramic.

So I changed it up some... I then coiled them on a 3/32" welding rod... While I could wind the coil a bit tighter, they would still relax and when I tested on the ceramic rod, they were still a little loose. So I found some 2mm rod to recoil them on ( 2mm is just under 3/32" ), when the coil relaxed it was still snug when I moved it to the ceramic rod. To get the coil onto the ceramic required that I "screwed" it on ,,, so it does fit nicely IMO.

Vape is good and clean. I'm using about the same wattage as I do for a SS wick. I do feel that it takes a bit longer initially for the coil to warm up... I think the ceramic is acting as a heat sink to an extent but once it is going it keeps vaping well.

To clean them... super easy. Disconnect the wires, slip the ceramic and coil right out... toss in a pan of water and bring to a boil for a couple of minutes... If you need a little more cleaning, hit it with a torch... re-assemble. With the SS mesh, I was afraid of loosing the oxidation layer and getting shorts, so I'd re-oxidize them and recoil after each cleaning.

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
I do wonder if the "fishstick" aquarium rod would work better, be stronger if you fired them at around 2000 degrees with a torch for a while..

I torch mine after an initial boil, but I think my torch only goes up to 1500°...The fish sticks are SUPER fragile, but since I can make them for about .26 each, I'm willing to roll the dice..

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I torch mine after an initial boil, but I think my torch only goes up to 1500°...The fish sticks are SUPER fragile, but since I can make them for about .26 each, I'm willing to roll the dice..

A good butane torch ( not your lighter lol )... will go up to around 2400 degrees... A good propane torch can get up to about 3600 degrees but the standard ones you find at the hardware store have other additives, so say perhaps 3400-3500 degrees give or take. An oxyacetylene will go north of 6000 degrees.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
It’s really cool that you guys are getting so far along on this quest!
I’m really interested in this ceramic stuff, but it gets difficult to follow when it’s splashed in multiple threads about different products. How about starting a ceramic thread to consolidate all this great info in one place?

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
This stuff you guys are doing is REALLY cool. I'm glad there are people with the skills required to experiment like this. It's certainly not my area of competency but I bet this ceramic wick stuff is the next real step in vaping. I imagine it will be years before it reaches mass production.

RBAs are well beyond my abilities right now, and this is a step beyond that. The results sound promising!! Much as I like the genesis-style attys the work required to get them functional is more than I can handle.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
A ceramic wick will not fit into a Evod.

That actually may not be true... I believe that zippy posted a pic of one in either a T3 or MT3 in another thread and an Evod isn't that much smaller... but, as it were, we were talking OT about using them in Genesis type tanks for the most part.

At this time, ceramic wicks are just starting to be seen out there. Right now, I know of only one manufacturer selling them commercially on a very limited level and the rest are being made by hand by the users from other products that are available ( aquarium air stones etc )... They certainly hold a lot of promise but availability and durability both needs to be addressed.

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
That actually may not be true... I believe that zippy posted a pic of one in either a T3 or MT3 in another thread and an Evod isn't that much smaller... but, as it were, we were talking OT about using them in Genesis type tanks for the most part.

At this time, ceramic wicks are just starting to be seen out there. Right now, I know of only one manufacturer selling them commercially on a very limited level and the rest are being made by hand by the users from other products that are available ( aquarium air stones etc )... They certainly hold a lot of promise but availability and durability both needs to be addressed.

Very true Randy..A ceramic wick can indeed be made to work in a eVod..It's directly proportional to how much patience you have when making it up. My latest idea involves putting a concave surface on the ends with idea of creating more surface area:

T2_ceramic10_zpsf05c895e.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread