Amazon.com follows Paypal --Strikes Sale of E-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
When i used to go to tobacco websites (like camelsmokes.com), in order to sign up for any mailings i had to type in my driver's license number, then wait for them to verify it before i could register. I don't see why that same system could not be used for e-cigs.

That combined with signed deliveries (with another showing of license) sounds appropriate to me. Or just make people go to the post office/UPS office to pick it up and show I.D. there.

There are ways around this other than a total ban.

Nokosa

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Maryland - United States
www.youtube.com
When i used to go to tobacco websites (like camelsmokes.com), in order to sign up for any mailings i had to type in my driver's license number, then wait for them to verify it before i could register. I don't see why that same system could not be used for e-cigs.

That combined with signed deliveries (with another showing of license) sounds appropriate to me. Or just make people go to the post office/UPS office to pick it up and show I.D. there.

I agree. I just wish people would consider things like this before throwing out the ban hammer. But, then again, it is the FDA we're talking about here.

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
They are not illegal, they are not banned, they are not evil--sheesh, what kind of financial strings are being yanked to get a company as nondiscriminating as Ebay to ban selling of something? Just do a search of Ebay sometime for questionable, tacky, borderline illicit crap to figure out their standards are about as lofty as a snake's belly.

doodon

Moved On
Sep 23, 2009
  • Deleted by lordmage
  • Reason: spammer

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com

It does seem if a kid can get a cc number he could also get the dl from the same purse or wallet.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
They are not illegal, they are not banned, they are not evil--sheesh, what kind of financial strings are being yanked to get a company as nondiscriminating as Ebay to ban selling of something? Just do a search of Ebay sometime for questionable, tacky, borderline illicit crap to figure out their standards are about as lofty as a snake's belly.

These companies like Paypal and Amazon don't need a reason to ban anything, Just a whim or legal counsel will do it :)
Most people selling need to use merchant accounts for this type of product to be safe from their stores being closed down,

jvapor

Moved On
Aug 11, 2009
Alaska
I guess my comment was a little... I don't know... less straight forward than I thought.

What I meant was that something should be done to regulate the sale of e-cigs on the INTERNET in such a way that it can be safe practice.

It's a damn shame that those of us well over the legal age can't order products that require proof of age over the INTERNET.

Actually, A credit card is verification of proof of age. You must be 18 to enter into a legal and binding contract for a credit card. If a youngster gets hold of mom and pops credit card then it is really the parents problem for not securing their property and they are also liable for their child's actions. It is not the websites marketing but rather more of the famous hands off parenting that is unfortunately becoming common place. No one wants to accept personal responsibility so they will just blame anyone else.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida

What is there to not understand---the e-cig is under strict scutinity by the FDA and in litigation. Of couse Counsel for E-Bay, Amazon, Paypal, et al, are all going to cover any possible legal exposure and rid themselves of this product till it is fully clarified by the Court.

People forget that the e-cig is a mere grain of sand on the beach to these Companies and not worth any liablilty with regards to their sale.

Sun

jvapor

Moved On
Aug 11, 2009
Alaska
What is there to not understand---the e-cig is under strict scutinity by the FDA and in litigation. Of couse Counsel for E-Bay, Amazon, Paypal, et al, are all going to cover any possible legal exposure and rid themselves of this product till it is fully clarified by the Court.

People forget that the e-cig is a mere grain of sand on the beach to these Companies and not worth any liablilty with regards to their sale.

Sun

I would bet money that if ecigs are not banned and the smoke clears Pay Pal and Amazon will change their tune. They do not want to miss their piece of the pie. Its just business.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I would bet money that if ecigs are not banned and the smoke clears Pay Pal and Amazon will change their tune. They do not want to miss their piece of the pie. Its just business.

I wouldn't give them the time of day. You know that their CEO, Paypal & eBay, has decided to really get into politics now. She announced her run for California Govenor yesterday. Guess that is why she sold Skype, to get some campaign money.

Kevin

Blooper

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Vegas
ECF unite and boycott Amazon and all these idiots who give into the demands of big pharma and the tobacco companies. The internet is a big place and there are other sites to get stuff. Since the only thing all these companies care about is profit (not against business making profits), I will let my wallet do the talking. Mine alone isn't big enough to make a dent, unfortunately hehe, but together we can doo it.

mcl5000

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Allentown, PA
Why the hell should e-cigs be allowed to be sold on Amazon anyway? They don't sell analogs, they don't sell alcohol, they don't sell any drugs in general. Why do you think e-cigs are any different than the above?

edit: I'm not sure why anybody would buy stuff from Amazon anyway. Everything they sell can be found cheaper somewhere else. It's like the WalMart of the internet.......except they aren't cheap.

Last edited:

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
I wonder what Amazon.Com will do with all the fruit flavored gums that kids can easily obtain there because of their shoddy age check? It seems to me that if we're "selling these e-cigs to kids because of the flavored juices", they should pull all the flavored gums and losenges as well. It's way easier to use the gum or losenge than it is to use an e-cig, because of the maintenance involved. There is no maintenance to lighting up a analog or popping a piece of gum in their mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread