Status
Not open for further replies.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
Contacted the ALA and told them our story and success with e-cigs. I won't go into the entire email I sent but I will say it was a personal story and very polite. This was their response.

"Thank you for your email to the American Lung Association. Until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) determines that e-cigarettes are safe for consumers, the American Lung Association urges consumers not to use these products.
The FDA conducted on limited study in July 2009 and found that the products contained carcinogens and toxic chemicals, including the ingredients found in anti-freeze. A study conducted at Virginia Commonwealth University and published in February 2010 found that e-cigarettes deliver little or no nicotine to users."

Nothing like listening to proof or having an open mind. Idiots!

autumnbreeze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
It blows my mind that the Virginia Commonwealth University study showed that ecigs deliver little or no nicotine. How is this possible? If it delivered little or none how does it work for so many people? Is the issue with the ecig companies they used for the study? Total BS!

And yeah, I didn't expect much back from them to our replies. Thank you for contacting them Cliff. Don't stop trying though!

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Keep contacting them and don't accept the canned response. For example, I sent them the reference and link to the newer article that shows we do get nicotine, published by Bullard et al., in tobacco Control in response to that part of their canned email. That PVs/e-cigs do deliver nicotine is important because the FDA can say something annoying like the following- they have carcinogens and they don't work- argh.

Anyway, after a few emails back and forth with the ALA, and them saying that it doesn't matter, they're sticking with the FDA's lead, I asked them to forward my request to the Board of directors. I'm planning to print and send a snail mail version addressed to the attention of the board of directors.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
It blows my mind that the Virginia Commonwealth University study showed that ecigs deliver little or no nicotine. How is this possible? If it delivered little or none how does it work for so many people? Is the issue with the ecig companies they used for the study? Total BS!

And yeah, I didn't expect much back from them to our replies. Thank you for contacting them Cliff. Don't stop trying though!

Spikey and I met personally with the researcher and discussed a variety of reasons why he got the results he did. For one thing, he was unaware at the time of his study that one puff from a tobacco cigarette requires 10 puffs from an electronic cigarette (on average) to get the same amount of nicotine. He instructed his subjects to take 10 puffs from their assigned product. So this was equivalent to the amount of nicotine you'd get if you only took one puff from your traditional cigarette. Not much.

Also, he has taken a look at other models that may deliver nicotine more effectively than the NJOY and Crown 7 products used in his study.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
To the ALA we are infidels and the only resolution that will ever make them happy is to accept their faith or die.

Why do you think evidence and facts don't matter? Because it's not about that it's about ideology.

It's about idiot-ology if you ask me.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

(So) Jersey Girl

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
South Jersey
emails are not recommended, though I'm thinking of emailing the White House
hopefully soon

but I think I've read that actual letters work the best
It's not recommended to email politicians who are going to be voting on proposed bans. I emailed the ALA, like others have done, only I have not gotten a response yet, while others did. I wouldn't waste my money to mail them a letter. I think they are sick of hearing from us and are simply ignoring us. I think we should flood them with e-mail. In fact I think starting this afternoon I will send them an e-mail everyday, asking them why they are ignoring me, until I get an answer.

trailblazer6

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Lakewood , NJ
www.bikerornot.com
It's not recommended to email politicians who are going to be voting on proposed bans. I emailed the ALA, like others have done, only I have not gotten a response yet, while others did. I wouldn't waste my money to mail them a letter. I think they are sick of hearing from us and are simply ignoring us. I think we should flood them with e-mail. In fact I think starting this afternoon I will send them an e-mail everyday, asking them why they are ignoring me, until I get an answer.

Most likely your e-mail is being sent to there Spam Folder. Snail Mail would be the most effective. A flood of snail mail is even better. All those sacks of mail can't be ignored.:pervy: There Address:
American Lung Association
1301 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20004
Mine went out yesterday asking them to please remove me from there mailing list since I will not continue to donate to them in light of there stance on e-cigarettes. A most effective tool to fight a most effective killer (Tobacco cigarettes ) In short. to get there attention you got to hit them in the pocketbook. So let everyone you know, know just how stupid and wasteful there are with the money they get. Public awareness is the key. I posted an article by Vocalek to my facebook wall for all my friends to see. She make some really strong arguments and shows just how foolish they are being. That link is The Truth About Nicotine: Lung Association Recommends Smoking
But you do whatever you feel you can. Because doing nothing at all is unacceptable.

(So) Jersey Girl

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
South Jersey
Most likely your e-mail is being sent to there Spam Folder. Snail Mail would be the most effective. A flood of snail mail is even better. All those sacks of mail can't be ignored.:pervy: You mean like in "Miracle on 34th Street" where they carried all the mail bags into the court room and dumped them on the judge?
There Address:
American Lung Association
1301 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20004
Mine went out yesterday asking them to please remove me from there mailing list since I will not continue to donate to them in light of there stance on e-cigarettes. A most effective tool to fight a most effective killer (Tobacco cigarettes ) In short. to get there attention you got to hit them in the pocketbook. So let everyone you know, know just how stupid and wasteful there are with the money they get. Public awareness is the key. I posted an article by Vocalek to my facebook wall for all my friends to see. She make some really strong arguments and shows just how foolish they are being. That link is The Truth About Nicotine: Lung Association Recommends Smoking
But you do whatever you feel you can. Because doing nothing at all is unacceptable.

Trailblazer, I didn't mean to come across so seriously. Unfortunately there is no "tongue planted firmely in cheek" smiley available. I just wanted to get a canned response like the others did. ;)

I have much better things to do than sit around emailing the ALA everyday. I have no intention of writing to them by snail mail, either. They probably wouldn't read it once they realized the subject matter but would more than likely put my name and address on their mailing list and start sending me beg letters. (Ever try to get off a spam email list? "Hey guys, I'm here! Don't send me any more of your crap!" Oh, we got a live one.)

I hope you can share with us any response you get from the ALA. And the next time you get one of their beg letters, write across the donation slip "Why do you want to kill me?" and send it back to them in the postage paid envelope they always enclose.

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
I seriously doubt writing the ALA will do much good. A check of Pfizer's 2nd quarter donations (Pfizer makes Chantix and Nicotrol) shows the drug company gave the ALA over $l.5 million for their "smoking cessation" program in that quarter alone. The ALA is unlikely to heed the "little guy", particularly when that little guy is using something like the e cig that so threatens to punch holes in Pfizer's smoking cessation drug boat.

http://www.media.pfizer.com/files/responsibility/grants_payments/pfizer_us_grants_cc_q2_2009.pdf

(Hope that link works)

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread