Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm getting ready to stock up. The Vapocalypse Calculator informs me that four liters of 100mg/nl liquid nicotine should last me at least twenty years. It's an investment, so I want to be sure I get good stuff. I'm going for 100% VG because @Rossum's wonderful thread on nic storage leads me to believe this will store best. I want something smooth with little throat hit. What vendor should I use?

Bonus question: Is there any reason to choose amber over blue glass bottles (I'm planning to transfer the nic into 100ml glass battles for freezing)? If there isn't, I'll opt for blue, because it's prettier, but if amber is better, I'll go for utility over beauty.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I'm getting ready to stock up. The Vapocalypse Calculator informs me that four liters of 100mg/nl liquid nicotine should last me at least twenty years. It's an investment, so I want to be sure I get good stuff. I'm going for 100% VG because @Rossum's wonderful thread on nic storage leads me to believe this will store best. I want something smooth with little throat hit. What vendor should I use?

Bonus question: Is there any reason to choose amber over blue glass bottles (I'm planning to transfer the nic into 100ml glass battles for freezing)? If there isn't, I'll opt for blue, because it's prettier, but if amber is better, I'll go for utility over beauty.
Nicotine river has 20% off until the 31st code:newyear. I’ve read nicotine salts are more stable then freebase so should last longer and nic River’s Nicotine is good stuff. They sell a hit or smooth salt as well as freebase nicotine so they should cover anything you’re looking for. They also have great prices before the 20% off and free shipping for orders over $50.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Nicotine river has 20% off until the 31st code:newyear. I’ve read nicotine salts are more stable then freebase so should last longer and nic River’s Nicotine is good stuff. They sell a hit or smooth salt as well as freebase nicotine so they should cover anything you’re looking for. They also have great prices before the 20% off and free shipping for orders over $50.

That 20% discount is precisely what prompted my question. If Nicotine River is a good choice, great!

Do nic salts work the same way in recipes as freebase?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nic salts are generally used for high nic levels, like 25-45 mg juice fir mtl use without tearing your throat up. Personally I am unaware of any difference between blue and amber other than some theoretical risk of Cobalt leaching into the solution if kept in there for many years. Sorta like not keeping liquor in a lead crystal bottle for 10 years so you don't theoretically get lead into your scotch.

IMO if you use flavorings the source of the nocotine doesn't really matter. It's like vodka. If you mix it with tonic, let alone something like a Cosmopolitan, good luck telling the difference between a premium liquor versus a well bottle of Seagrams (or everclear for that matter in a punch). If you vape unflavored nic juice then the source and flavor will be a matter to consider. I don't vape unflavored so I can't recommend one over another.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That 20% discount is precisely what prompted my question. If Nicotine River is a good choice, great!

Do nic salts work the same way in recipes as freebase?
Yes, I mix with salts and use the same mg as I would with freebase. I only use salts because I dislike th. Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers are good for both salts and freebase, code ELRECIPES for 15% off. NR smooth salts are good but I ordered the max mg not the 100mg. Saves freezer space.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
The Nicotine River nicotine is considerably cheaper than Vaperstek's even before the 20% discount, which is a persuasive argument for buying it, I have to say.

I would be mixing at 9mgs/ml at most, so that benefit of nic salts is irrelevant to me. If nic salt liquid stores better, though, that's appealing.

Yes, I mix with salts and use the same mg as I would with freebase. I only use salts because I dislike th. Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers are good for both salts and freebase, code ELRECIPES for 15% off. NR smooth salts are good but I ordered the max mg not the 100mg. Saves freezer space.

I like the idea of saving freezer space. I guess I can be brave and go for a higher concentration.

Why are salts more expensive than freebase?

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
My answer to your bonus question- Because I can be cheap sometimes, I use the less expensive 100ml clear bottles to rebottle. After filling and labeling, they go in a box, the box gets sealed and labled. No light, no worries. The one I'm using is put in a dark cabinet.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Unless the freezer light stays on when you close the door, I wouldn't worry about colored bottles - that's all about light (UV) affecting it.

But I've got interest in nic salts too, Zazie. So I'll semi-hijack your thread to throw another question in there if that's alright. I don't care about reducing TH - in fact, I HAVE to have it. I'd like to incorporate some "hit" nic salts (as opposed to the "smooth" versions) so that I might be able to reduce my mid-afternoon & cocktail hour chain vaping a little. I saw this chart recently from PAX labs (Juul) showing how incredibly quick nic salts get into the bloodstream, and thought it might help.

So if anyone has ideas on how to come close to replicating my current TH on freebase 14mg diy juice with some or all nic salts, I'm all ears!
upload_2018-12-28_14-25-57.png

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The Nicotine River nicotine is considerably cheaper than Vaperstek's even before the 20% discount, which is a persuasive argument for buying it, I have to say.

I would be mixing at 9mgs/ml at most, so that benefit of nic salts is irrelevant to me. If nic salt liquid stores better, though, that's appealing.

I like the idea of saving freezer space. I guess I can be brave and go for a higher concentration.

Why are salts more expensive than freebase?
Salts cost more due to the fact they are mixed/altered by whatever acid the company chooses. Most keep their salt nic recipes secret. Easy enough to make your own salts if you want down the road. Personally I would just as soon pay the added cost myself.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Unless the freezer light stays on when you close the door, I wouldn't worry about colored bottles - that's all about light (UV) affecting it.

But I've got interest in nic salts too, Zazie. So I'll semi-hijack your thread to throw another question in there if that's alright. I don't care about reducing TH - in fact, I HAVE to have it. I'd like to incorporate some "hit" nic salts (as opposed to the "smooth" versions) so that I might be able to reduce my mid-afternoon & cocktail hour chain vaping a little. I saw this chart recently from PAX labs (Juul) showing how incredibly quick nic salts get into the bloodstream, and thought it might help.

So if anyone has ideas on how to come close to replicating my current TH on freebase 14mg diy juice with some or all nic salts, I'm all ears!
View attachment 788811
Personally at 8-10mg I notice zero difference between freebase and salts outside of th. For myself salts take affect no faster or harder than freebase at equal mg used. JUUL could possibly have an added ingredient in their salt recipe that does facilitate such a reaction I guess; I've not used their products.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Personally at 8-10mg I notice zero difference between freebase and salts outside of th. For myself salts take affect no faster or harder than freebase at equal mg used. JUUL could possibly have an added ingredient in their salt recipe that does facilitate such a reaction I guess; I've not used their products.
Thanks, Letitia - That's interesting, and surprising that you didn't notice the difference. I haven't tried salts yet, except in Juul & other pods, and I really felt it, but that's 50mg. I'd read that the original purpose of developing salts was to mimic the quick uptake of nic with tobacco, and they found the benzoic acid did cause quicker absorption, but gave the unexpected effect of making it smoother. Maybe I'll just try with the hit version at around my current level.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hijack away, @Brewdawg1181!

Another question: Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers says it extracts its nicotine from organically grown tobacco, Does anyone know whether Nicotine River does, too?
They don't mention organic, but it isn't synthetic- does come from tobacco. PureNic:That’s why PurNic™ is extracted from tobacco plants and never synthetically produced.
And their Chemnovatic doesn't mention organic, either: PureNic 99+ is premium quality pure nicotine dedicated to the production of e-liquids. It’s a natural, crystal clear and odorless liquid extracted from tobacco leaves.

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about organic for this stuff, since it's extracted, and ends up being over 99% pure nicotine anyway.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hijack away, @Brewdawg1181!

Another question: Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers says it extracts its nicotine from organically grown tobacco, Does anyone know whether Nicotine River does, too?
I think NR sources all of their nic, not sure though.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread