Another Chantix (Champix) disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew999999

Mar 23, 2011
Iowa
Very sad...

I've been on Chantix twice. The first time I didn't notice any side effects at all, but caught the flu 3 weeks in and couldn't keep them down. A couple of months later I tried again, but found myself staring at my cube walls not knowing whether I was happy or sad. Felt this way continuously for a few days until it freaked me out and stopped taking them. Had other friends take it with similar emotional strangeness.

OgreLokon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
I quit smoking for 6 weeks in the past using Chantix. Never finished taking the full prescription. Everyone was complaining that I was moody and I started having extremely vivid nightmares of, well lets just say, hurting people. Stopped taking it and the nightmares that kept waking me up went away.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me... I would have dreams that I could not BELIEVE came from my brain. After about 2 weeks, I was terrified to sleep, and when I did sleep I would wake up after about an hour and a half. You could almost set your watch by them.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yeah - I basically told my husband to go back to smoking. He was horribly moody and impossible to live with. Luckily, we found e-cigs shortly after! (And later it came out that people with depression and other issues shouldn't take it & he has mild depression occasionally and rare panic attacks - NOT a good combination with Chantix!)

I quit smoking for 6 weeks in the past using Chantix. Never finished taking the full prescription. Everyone was complaining that I was moody and I started having extremely vivid nightmares of, well lets just say, hurting people. Stopped taking it and the nightmares that kept waking me up went away.

jazdale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
Jackson, MI
I'm curious of a possible coincidence.
I quit smoking 2 months ago and started vaping. I have never taken Chantix.
I also got some weird dreams and wondered if it was the tobacco withdraw shortly after I quit tobacco. I'm not getting these dreams anymore, but they were vivid.

Not discounting the Chantix side-effects, I've heard these side-effects elsewhere.
But, in both cases (chantix or vaping), the common element was tobacco cessation.

meems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2010
Ohio
I can't knock chantix..it got me off cigs in the first place, and the dreams? I LOVED the dreams! They weren't violent, but they were vivid! I did the mania thing on it...I want that manic energy back! I had smoked in my basement, so I spent the 1st month of non smoking moving everything in my full unfinished 3 room basement, scraping all the walls & floors, sealing & painting everything (no more smoke smell!), the thought of that task now is inconceivable & I'm pretty energentic! I did find I went through withdrawal & that had me moody..but, although I could tell it was withdrawal jitters..snappiness, I didn't want to smoke, though I still had cigs in my freezer!

I tried Champix...after a near psychotic break, my Doc and I decided I should probably look into something different. Ten days later at my Wife's staff Xmas Party, I saw my first e-cig, and the rest (along with the analogues) is history.
Coming up on 4 months now, after having smoked for 30 years.

Last edited:

rpriode

Jan 10, 2011
Gloucester, VA
I'm curious of a possible coincidence.
I quit smoking 2 months ago and started vaping. I have never taken Chantix.
I also got some weird dreams and wondered if it was the tobacco withdraw shortly after I quit tobacco. I'm not getting these dreams anymore, but they were vivid.

Not discounting the Chantix side-effects, I've heard these side-effects elsewhere.
But, in both cases (chantix or vaping), the common element was tobacco cessation.

I had really vivid dreams for about the first month after i quit smoking and started vaping, now that has stopped! not bad dreams but really vivid and i remebered them all, which doesnt usually happen, odd i thought i was the only one since i had not read anything on here about it.! Thanks for posting!

congaman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Saint Augustine Florida
I was fired from a gig because of chantix. I had been taking it for about three weeks and noticed i was becoming more agitated by the most frivilous of things. Went completly off on a patron at the club I was playing in and then went off on a waiter for no apparent reason. Needless to say this did not go over well with the club management nor my bandmates...so, I was asked to leave both. Stopped taking Chantix and within 1 week everything was back to normal...Never did get my gig back with that band though. And, if you are taking this evil "medication?" DO NOT drink any, and i mean not a drop, of alchohol with it!

pixiedust

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Nevada
I took Chantix and wow..I was a train wreck. I have never had psychiatric problems, or violence issues- but when I was on Chantix I was angry all of the time, I really felt like hurting something..anything. It got so bad that when my husband would ask 'what's for dinner' I got an overwhelming urge to throw a frying pan at him. The good news is that when I had these thoughts I recognized they were not normal so I quit taking it but since the effects were so profound and unexpected I don't think that it should be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread