Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Striker- I have no idea... I have joked with fellow vapers about: If you grow tobacco you'll get thrown in jail but not if you grow the other.. We'll keep the mention to a minimum. I know it's against the forum. But seriously, we are getting to that point where things are very imbalanced for sure.

Oh I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. :facepalm:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Relax Rick- No one is against you here- we're all just trying to get to the truth that's all!!

You know, about the rules and all- sure I agreed, so did everyone else but...you know, one's mind doesn't remember everything...staying current- that could be endless.... We all do our best...we try to be ethical for sure....if that's what you meant. When I joined, I don't recall that entire list...it's added up since 12/10...when I joined and the do not tell you to go back and re-read all the additions or you're terminated. I'm just not that rule bound. Like I said, I try to do my best and be ethical. I like a good argument- I want to be enlightened! :)

Last edited:

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
Relax Rick- No one is against you here- we're all just trying to get to the truth that's all!!

You know, about the rules and all- sure I agreed, so did everyone else but...you know, one's mind doesn't remember everything...staying current- that could be endless.... We all do our best...we try to be ethical for sure....if that's what you meant.

be still, my beating heart.

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Yep- the "if you use nicotine, we won't hire you" policies.
I posted about a big health care or health oriented company in my area that does that- there are several.
Like I said, they are out there- more common than you think. And they do nicotine tests at hire at least...and typically either do tests afterwards at random (like drug tests) or if they suspect that you're using.
Fired instantly (in some cases) or severely reprimanded if you test positive.

Anyone know of other companies that are doing this?

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
I posted about a big health care or health oriented company in my area that does that- there are several.
Like I said, they are out there- more common than you think. And they do nicotine tests at hire at least...and typically either do tests afterwards at random (like drug tests) or if they suspect that you're using.

Anyone know of other companies that are doing this?

and there's really no other way to check for tobacco use (insurance risk) other than testing for nicotine.

THAT'S IT...FINALLY!!! SOMEBODY GETS ME!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

PS - You COULD vape 0-nic e-sauce if it comes down to the love of vaping, but I know of no 0-nic cigarettes.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The only nicotine-related increased health insurance risk that has ever been verified scientifically is smoking. Even modern, Western smokeless tobacco does not cause illness or premature death. Certainly no diseases have ever been linked to use of NRTs (pharmaceutical nicotine products). So there is no justification to use nicotine testing to deny employment. People who do NOT smoke and therefore do NOT increase health costs are being denied employement unfairly.

There is a definitive test that separates smokers from users of less hazardous souces of nicotine: It's called the exhaled carbon monoxide test (also called "eCO"). I saw several devices being demonstrated at the last SRNT conference (Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco.) I was told that they don't cost any more to administer than the cotinine tests that are being used to detect nicotine use.

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
The only nicotine-related increased health insurance risk that has ever been verified scientifically is smoking. Even modern, Western smokeless tobacco does not cause illness or premature death. Certainly no diseases have ever been linked to use of NRTs (pharmaceutical nicotine products). So there is no justification to use nicotine testing to deny employment. People who do NOT smoke and therefore do NOT increase health costs are being denied employement unfairly.

There is a definitive test that separates smokers from users of less hazardous souces of nicotine: It's called the exhaled carbon monoxide test (also called "eCO"). I saw several devices being demonstrated at the last SRNT conference (Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco.) I was told that they don't cost any more to administer than the cotinine tests that are being used to detect nicotine use.

But nobody is going to go through with the extra step to NOT hire you (post #55)...blood or urine analysis is just as damning, unless you fight it by having a more definitive test done on your own dime...THEN you got something to work with (pun intended), right?

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012

...like Dave said...

(hope you don't mind me quoting you solely for my argument's sake, Dave - LOL)

PS- God..would you just LOOK at the post count on this "dead" thread? Wow. Just...wow!

Last edited:

StrongPimpHand

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
DFW, TX
www.facebook.com
They are looking for the cheapest labor they can get and with 8.5% unemployment they can pick and choose. Who comes in for treatment has nothing to do with it.

I am a prime example of this crap. Had a 75K a year job. From my hire date till the day I was let go profit was up 19%
Was let go because of something I did when I was 17 years old(27 now)... Cause I am a felon the very best I can do is 40k as a Rodbuster foreman

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
I am a prime example of this crap. Had a 75K a year job. From my hire date till the day I was let go profit was up 19%
Was let go because of something I did when I was 17 years old(27 now)... Cause I am a felon the very best I can do is 40k as a Rodbuster foreman

That sucks...but it is totally commonplace now. I feel bad for you, man, and I do feel your pain...believe me. It's like they're just looking for a way out of paying a decent wage these days (which is REALLY what this whole post is about, IMO). I hope things get better soon for you.

PS - I know it's expensive, but since it happened when you were a minor, is expungement an option? PM me if you don't wanna go public with this now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread