Anybody else get this blow-off response from the White House regarding the petition we all signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundrinkr

Alis volat propriis
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Behind the Rainbow
Yep.... utter BS. Don't send me an email about the dangers of tobacco. vaping is not tobacco @@. As for "The Great American Smokeout"... ummmm.... I quit in August. I don't smoke ANYMORE @@ Duh.....that's why the petition was about vaping@@
I absolutely refuse to give up hope. And now I must leave this thread before I roll my eyes right out of my head!

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
In politics - you don't fight fire with fire. You fight fire with hot topic leverage.

This is exactly why organizations like the CASAA are important, but need a separate industry trade group. There has to be a trade group - they have to hire lobbyists - they have to get the ear of members of the media. If those in this trade don't protect this trade, it will be gone sooner than later.

Here is the question that should be asked to get the medias attention and to make it a big deal right now as we enter an election year with a weak economy and high unemployment: How many jobs will the FDA cost if they get their way on e-cigs? Several sources say that something close to 4 million people in the US have tried e-cigs. I've never seen any numbers relating to how many people are constant e-cig users and only a few guesses as to how many users there might be in the future. -- Direct employment (vendors, employees of vendors, manufacturers, mall kiosks etc etc) and indirect employment (how many man hours by the USPS, customs, shipping handlers at the ports, UPS, advertizing agencies, landlords, web hosts, etc etc etc) numbers are necessary. -- When we can write to our congressman and say that 50,000 jobs will be lost - or 100,000 jobs will be lost, or half a million man hours or whatever indirect employment estimates would be, then the game changes. When the press hears that 500 people in Chicago (or wherever) are about to lose their livelihood and 100 people in Denver and 100 people in North Carolina.... Without a trade group, getting hard numbers is difficult if not impossible.

I strongly encourage all who make their living in this trade to organize a trade group and hire a couple of statisticians, some lobbyists, and a press liaison.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
In politics - you don't fight fire with fire. You fight fire with hot topic leverage.

This is exactly why organizations like the CASAA are important, but need a separate industry trade group. There has to be a trade group - they have to hire lobbyists - they have to get the ear of members of the media. If those in this trade don't protect this trade, it will be gone sooner than later.

Here is the question that should be asked to get the medias attention and to make it a big deal right now as we enter an election year with a weak economy and high unemployment: How many jobs will the FDA cost if they get their way on e-cigs? Several sources say that something close to 4 million people in the US have tried e-cigs. I've never seen any numbers relating to how many people are constant e-cig users and only a few guesses as to how many users there might be in the future. -- Direct employment (vendors, employees of vendors, manufacturers, mall kiosks etc etc) and indirect employment (how many man hours by the USPS, customs, shipping handlers at the ports, UPS, advertizing agencies, landlords, web hosts, etc etc etc) numbers are necessary. -- When we can write to our congressman and say that 50,000 jobs will be lost - or 100,000 jobs will be lost, or half a million man hours or whatever indirect employment estimates would be, then the game changes. When the press hears that 500 people in Chicago (or wherever) are about to lose their livelihood and 100 people in Denver and 100 people in North Carolina.... Without a trade group, getting hard numbers is difficult if not impossible.

I strongly encourage all who make their living in this trade to organize a trade group and hire a couple of statisticians, some lobbyists, and a press liaison.

Ditto that

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
response from the White House

thumb_smiley-vault-signs-022.gif

GAC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Yeah, that response was an insult, I quit smoking almost a year ago and they want to inform me of the dangers of tobacco? I expect nothing less from our pathetic government, they just want to be able to tax the crap out of it and stuff their pockets full of our money. They can act like they don't like tobacco products, but they sure do like the revenue it produces.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
It's just more of the same old bs.
"We don't give a sheet about ecigs and we don't you using them
so we will ban everything having to do with them for your own good since there isn't one iota of evidence stating they are less harmful than real cigarettes.". Love how they keep repeating that second hand crapola too and the alleged numbers dying from second hand smoke. :glare:
C.B.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Even better I got this blow off responce when I tried to reply using the link at the bottom of it.

Due to the high volume of messages received at this address, the White House is unable to process the email you just sent. To contact the White House, please visit:

Contact the White House | The White House

Thank you.

poolslime

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 24, 2011
    Colorado
    It boggles my mind at the stupidity that is behind this response.

E-cigarettes may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans or otherwise harm public health -- for example, if they are attractive to young people and lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death.

Nice spelling of ingreNdients to start off the response. But the first sentence makes no sense. Saying that e-cig may contain ingredients that are toxic, followed by an example...of the potential for kids to switch to regular cigarettes? Seriously? This was either written by a standard writer, and obviously poorly written at that, or by someone who has it out for e-cigs and is grasping for straws.

DerekUrban

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2011
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I think I puked a little there...

"That's a nice petition you all sent in, and we even read the first line or two, but E-Cigs contain nicotine, and nicotine is in cigarettes, and cigarettes are bad. You should quit smoking and you hate children!"

I'm so tired of this "Think of the children!" Nanny state bull. If something is for adults and still manages to remain enjoyable, then obviously it's evil and should be destroyed. Whatever happened to having parents?

fb305

ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    Did anyone honestly think that anything would come from this petition? The government doesn't care about "we the people" the government cares about the people lining their pockets. Honestly they would probably prefer we all smoke anyway because of all the money they make from tobacco taxes. Big tobacco and big pharmacy make the government tons of money and vaping does not. All the proposed bans will do is position vaping for big tobacco to take over the industry. Because then they can tax the hell out of it and still get their pay-offs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread