Anyone Know A Good Durable Mod That Lasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
Over the last 5-6 years I have been through many mods. Some of them I dropped from my nightstand, never to work again. Others, the buttons just decided to stop working after being used for a few months.

3x Wismec 3 battery mods - All 3 mods the button crapped out.
2x smok 2 battery mods - A 3 foot fall onto my carpet and a roughly 3 foot fall out of my pocket made both freeze up.
2x Low quality starter kit vapes - Just stopped working after the first couple months without explanation.

What I've learned is that smok mods are fragile, Wismec mods are sturdy but the buttons are garbage, and starter kits are all around bad.

Just now, my Goon rda is starting to get a little corroded. That thing has lasted me 5 years. I want a mod to match. Tired of buying a new mod every year or less.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Over the last 5-6 years I have been through many mods. Some of them I dropped from my nightstand, never to work again. Others, the buttons just decided to stop working after being used for a few months.

2x SMOK 2 battery mods - A 3 foot fall onto my carpet and a roughly 3 foot fall out of my pocket made both freeze up.
2x Low quality starter kit vapes - Just stopped working after the first couple months without explanation.

What I've learned is that SMOK mods are fragile, Wismec mods are sturdy but the buttons are garbage, and starter kits are all around bad.

Just now, my Goon RDA is starting to get a little corroded. That thing has lasted me 5 years. I want a mod to match. Tired of buying a new mod every year or less.

The Aegis range is very tough and I've never heard of one crapping out. Waterproof and drop proof. I use Solos and never had a problem.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
The Aegis range is very tough and I've never heard of one crapping out. Waterproof and drop proof. I use Solos and never had a problem.

Thank you, I've heard good things about Aegis, but I wanted to be sure they wouldn't just crap out like the Wismecs. I appreciate the advice. I'll probably be getting one of those.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'll probably be getting one of those.

Would you be interested in info. on where you can get them from in the US, using a discount coupon code, and getting Free S/H, too? Your location isn't shown under your avatar, so wanted to check first.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Haven't any problems with evolv's single 18650 dna mods including the firing button.

Have built a few vv years back before dna vw came out still have them but not in use.
From 2012 bought board on ebay and also the meter if i was to build another now a days would use a Dna 75c for personal needs and enclose in a homemade carved wood enclosure with strong magnets for the battery door as i did carve out a few briar tobacco pipes when i was indulging.
VV Box Mod 2.jpg

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
The Eleaf iStick Pico 75w (18650) mods are very durable and last. Got one when they first came out. I've dropped it more than a few times. My dog has sent it flying across the LR with her tail. The cat has knocked it off tables. It still works. My wife was always dropping her Pico's in the snow and mud, still works. They're solid. I own several. Can likely find sales on them this weekend.

As previously mentioned the Aegis Solo's can totally handle rough and tumble. Love mine. They're excellent mods. Been dog and cat tested here. :D

Good luck. :)

ETA: Smok and Wismec product QC isn't very good.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Gotta throw in the Vandy Vape Jackaroo 100w mod in the list of durable mods.
Recently got mine and I'm really happy with it,if i do a bad job at wicking and my atomizer leaks over my mod that isn't a problem,i just put the mod under the faucet and wash the e-liquid away.

And i love the looks of it,looks rugged and manly ;)

DSC00167.JPG

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Gotta throw in the Vandy Vape Jackaroo 100w mod in the list of durable mods.
Recently got mine and I'm really happy with it,if i do a bad job at wicking and my atomizer leaks over my mod that isn't a problem,i just put the mod under the faucet and wash the e-liquid away.

And i love the looks of it,looks rugged and manly ;)

View attachment 894341
Damn those Jackaroos are cool looking.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

2x SMOK 2 battery mods - A 3 foot fall onto my carpet and a roughly 3 foot fall out of my pocket made both freeze up.

What I've learned is that SMOK mods are fragile, Wismec mods are sturdy but the buttons are garbage, and starter kits are all around bad.

Just now, my Goon RDA is starting to get a little corroded. That thing has lasted me 5 years. I want a mod to match. Tired of buying a new mod every year or less.

I second the Pico 75W mods for price, durability, and functionality. I have a number of expensive mods and others that are mid range, but the Pico usually finds a place in my pocket daily. They fit in a pocket easily, have replaceable 18650 or 21700 power. Pico 75W can be found around the internet for somewhere in the $30 range on sale.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The Ages line just came out with a 21700 line it's like the Solo but with a bigger battery. I have an 18650 Solo (am I numerically correct? Well, whatever) I am meaning to buy one once I get some money in my account. I love that form factor in mods, you can't beat it. The Ages mods are all very durable I drop mods a lot but they don't seem to mind it.

I love everything about by Jackaroo INCLUDING it's heaviness (I think they made it out of lead) but I like heavy mods I am far less likely to drop them.

I can attest that the Jaq B (if you want a DNA mod) is pretty fantastic. I dunked mine in coffee and it did not miss a beat after drying out, and I was SHOCKED. It is also extremely light but has withstood drops from me on many occasions.

Yeah, Wismec, .Smok, well you can do better with many makers. Really. Don't be discouraged just try different things.
Anna

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
The aegis solo is fantastic, I love using them in tough environments. I'm a commercial fisherman and tick all the 'proof boxes. I use the solo in wet, dirty, dusty environments also with shocks and vibrations. It's performed admirably.
The squid double barrel is also pretty tough, so far. I sent one flying in a car crash and also dropped that same one 3 ft on to cement and has still worked perfectly.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just get a Provari. :)

I bought a Provari V2 on my first anniversary vaping. It was a variable voltage stick mod that worked well (still does), but the array of electronic mods took me over and my Provari hasn't been vaped for years. It was cool, but a little primitive compared to modern mods.

That said, it fits in a pocket, looks good with a carto or a standard atomizer, and uses standard 18650 lithium cells, but the down side is that the cell must be a button top. The Provari V2 circuit board has a cutout to allow the button, but not a flat top cell to make contact.

Last edited:

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
I had an Aegis Legend and loved it until I capsized in a kayak and it stopped working. It didn't sink far and I got it out of the water within 10 seconds, it came out stuck in fire mode. I took out the batteries and tried a new coil when I got home, but it was completely dead. I'm not sure if this experience is typical, mine may have just had a faulty seal somewhere.

I then got its primary competitor, the Vandy Jackaroo. Haven't capsized with it, but I do like it better. It feels less clunky than the Aegis, although it's not exactly a fair comparison because the Jackaroo is a single-21700 battery, while the Aegis Legend is a dual 18650 (Aegis Max is now available which is a direct competitor, single-21700).

I do know that the Jackaroo is my new favorite as it feels tougher and more tightly built. I've had it exactly a year, used nonstop, and it looks and operates as new. Only the front anodized plate that frames the buttons and screen is susceptible to some cosmetic wear. I've dropped it dozens of times but the fire button is still so nice and tight, you'd think it was new.

However -- I can hardly find the Jackaroo anywhere anymore. Some sites are claiming it's discontinued. I don't know why it would be... and it's still displayed proudly on the Vandyvape site. I'm not sure if this is a Covid supply issue or what, but I want another one. The only viable source seems to be Fasttech, and even they seem to be running low as only 2 colors are still in stock.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2 is a definte option @lostbladder, but depending on what resistance you build for the Steam Crave Hadron may be another option.

But I've no ideas on how hardy the Hadron really is, but it's just the fact that it will be able to run low resistance builds with a good margin of safety for a long time due to being a dual 21700 mod. But they are a bit unwieldy and then there's the squonk backpack addon, just to make things that more interesting.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Oh and forgot an idea that may resurrect your Goon RDA, you could try disassembling it and cleaning it with a toothbrush and toothpaste or tooth powder (smokers type). As the abrasives will help remove corrosion and you also get a nice minty freshness.

I use this method on all my rebuildable atomisers when recieved new or for deep cleaning.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Resomods metal P67's, Grands, 2.1's, 1.0's etc are bullet proof (I acquired 37 of them). Reosmods is closed now, but they come up for sale and there are some 'as new' ones in the classifieds right now for way lower prices than what they cost in their heyday.

Russ (Super X Drifter) made a YouTube video years ago where he tortured a REOSmod Grand. As you will see... bullet proof.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread