Anything specific i should know about building with SS wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
I use 28g SS316L as well on mechs and love the ramp up. I tend to build at .6 or so. I suppose if I was using alpaca fur for my wick, the ramp up would cause it to catch on fire. Maybe that's where the issue was - :w00t:
On my 18490 or 18650 mechs yes, I go down to .5 cold resist but on my baby 14500 - I cant push that hard on them and I love the vape off these tiny things. Nice, long mouth drag full of warm goodness. My comfort zone.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I suppose if I was using alpaca fur for my wick, the ramp up would cause it to catch on fire. Maybe that's where the issue was - :w00t:

b46ff5d2fdd307b22a947fa03ac4d7b7.jpg

:lol:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Entertaining thread...never once heard anything about SS coils being troublesome as single coils...not saying people haven't encountered that issue but to see it spoken about like you're an exception if you've never had trouble is highly amusing. :)

Been running SS single coils for months now. Vapes great :thumbs:
Quite the opposite...

The OP's question was about "anything specific about building with SS".. right?

I mention that I had some issues with single (and small) coils with TC and very fast ramp, something I looked up, discussed with others and found that it was a common thing for many people.

So, answering the OP, I stated that he should be aware that he could have similar issues, so that it wouldn't be a surprise or frustration for him should it happen.

But somehow, a few of you have decided to turn this into a contest... I never said anything about "exceptions" or anything like that, it's a given that it works just fine for many, but simply that it IS something that many people did experience, and posted about on multiple sites/forums and discussed. Go look it up for yourself if you don't believe it.

As I said, some people NEED to somehow to prove that "their way" is the only way with comments that oozes "Oh look "I" don't have trouble, see how great I am! so you don't know what you're talking about." attitude ... I simply provided information about SS, and even stated that the trouble I was having was resolved with going with dual coils.

Sorry but instead of arrogance, when I see someone having issues with something, I will discuss with them, try and see if I can help them resolve the issue they have, and provide information, links, images, videos, etc. and will not belittle them as some of you did here.

Did any of you asked anything about "why" I had trouble with small coils and attempted to discuss and assist? Nope, not one so consider that.

Again, the question was "anything I should know"... anyone stating "I use it, no problem" is NOT providing anything but making a gloating comment, nothing more.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
To further clarify on why people are giving you a hard time, look at your first statement in this thread: "SS is better for dual coil setups, as single coils or small coils with few wraps are actually terrible as SS heats up very fast, so fast that it will burn your wick and liquid very easily."

That was stated as a fact. That was stated with an implication that if your experience is contrary to that, you are an exception. And that is what is hilarious. Scaring someone away from trying single coils is not particularly helpful (unless they prefer duals anyway, which is highly possibly).

If your delivery had been different, I suspect others would have not given you such a hard time. I wouldn't have called the thread hilarious. And Alpacas would never have been brought to the table.

alpaca.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Which is preferable, Alpaca or Elk for wicking? I know Elkwool is still popular with some, but Alpacas are probably easier to keep in a small barn in the backyard so you don't have to hunt one down every time you need to rewick.:D

Oh, and as to wire, I like SS and pretty much only build with that these days.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Everyone jumping on the poster of burning on single coils; perhaps a lot of people better go back and reread as I think they missed the word SMALL. SS does burn hotter and you have little wick inside it does burn through quick. Have all the experts tried all the different tempuratures, cottons and rayon's ect? Why jump all over a poster when you don't even know if you are using the same thing. JESHHHH!!! Just my opinion.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
i just bought my first roll of stainless steel wire, and i'm wondering if there's anything important i need to know before building with it. the only difference i know of is that it has a lower resistance than kanthal. but im not sure how much lower. i bought 28g wire

I am aware of how astray this thread got, so here's info. 316L SS (one of the more common types for vaping) has about half the resistance of Kanthal. So if you're used to Kanthal, you will be adding wraps if you intend to match the resistance. If you're using it for temp control on a regulated mod, resistance doesn't matter as long as it's within the mod's specs (maybe 0.1 to 1.5 ohm? Some variation in the figures given out by the manufacturers). If you want to use it in wattage mode, it will be fine. Either build more wraps to match your Kanthal build, or turn up the wattage to get the vape you want with the lower ohm coil.

SS is easy to work with for both spaced and contact coils, as well as more elaborate coils if you want to go that route. Check coil wrapping at Steam Engine to help guide your builds. Coil wrapping

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Everyone jumping on the poster of burning on single coils; perhaps a lot of people better go back and reread as I think they missed the word SMALL. SS does burn hotter and you have little wick inside it does burn through quick. Have all the experts tried all the different tempuratures, cottons and rayon's ect? Why jump all over a poster when you don't even know if you are using the same thing. JESHHHH!!! Just my opinion.
Because the poster made a blanket statement with no specifics. Even "small" is not specific. How many wraps is "small?" Seems rather subjective at best. Also - wicks don't burn when wet. :?:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Maybe if the word "and" was used instead of the work "or", the Poster would Not received so much Grief from people who are Very Happy with using Single SS Coils?

SS is better for dual coil setups, as single coils or small coils with few wraps are actually terrible as SS heats up very fast, so fast that it will burn your wick and liquid very easily.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Which is preferable, Alpaca or Elk for wicking? I know Elkwool is still popular with some, but Alpacas are probably easier to keep in a small barn in the backyard so you don't have to hunt one down every time you need to rewick.:D

Oh, and as to wire, I like SS and pretty much only build with that these days.

Actually, Virgin Llama wool is the Best.

But you have to be Careful when you buy it. Because there are So Many people selling Knock-Off Llama wool out there.

Mostly made from Cloned Sheep.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Actually, Virgin Llama wool is the Best.

But you have to be Careful when you buy it. Because there are So Many people selling Knock-Off Llama wool out there.

Mostly made from Cloned Sheep.

I'm thinking Angora makes the most sense long term, as your wicking source multiplies like bunnies! :D:lol:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm thinking Angora makes the most sense long term, as your wicking source multiplies like bunnies! :D:lol:

I think Angora is Way Over Priced.

And it is Marketed towards those Vape Snobs who think if they Pay More they Get More.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Maybe if the word "and" was used instead of the work "or", the Poster would Not received so much Grief from people who are Very Happy with using Single SS Coils?
Even with that they were so far off base, it greatly depends on the gauge of the wire used.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think Angora is Way Over Priced.

And it is Marketed towards those Vape Snobs who think if they Pay More they Get More.

Gotta be cheaper than finding a Virgin Llama. Even tried Google to see if I could find out how to even examine a Llama to be sure.:lol:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Guess all I am trying to say is I do sell coils in stores and give coil building lessons. Built a 3.5mm .45 coil. and I could not keep wicks in it. So anything is possible. Got to belittle people ................ enough said. CHEERS! Happy New Year to all? :) :)

Hey Nobody here is say'n that a Person Can't have a Problem using a SS Single Coil.

But that goes for Kanthal(s) or NiChrome(s) or Ti or Ni-200 or whatever Metal Alloy a person can make into a Coil and then Stuff It with a Wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread