Anything specific i should know about building with SS wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
SS will work as I said, depending on the MOD and tank/deck (RTA or RDA), but not on everything every time... the smaller the coil, the harder it is to get it working right.... if you're doing a fairly large build, it should help it work correctly. But on my various RTAs and RDAs, every time I tried single coils I had issues, and so did a LOT of people (plenty of threads and discussions easily found online about people having the exact same issue, including other vapers in my area that I've talked to).

And it's not just wattage... I tested at very low wattage, with nothing worth while until I'd increase it bit by bit, and once I'd get actual vape and warmth, it would start giving me burnt taste almost instantly. I tried various gauge, on various settings, in different tanks, always the same results.

Add to that, that my several mods had trouble staying in SS mode with the small single coils (Eleaf, Joytech, Smok, Innokin), but once switched to dual coils (in the various RDA/RTAs I have), every problem went away, logic dictates that it's simply a question that enough wire is needed for things to work properly with TC, that the power being split into two channels balances the ramping better.

If you managed to have tanks with single builds that worked out for you, that's quite great, but it's far from everyone's experience.

you keep saying this... i have 4 vaperesso transformer RDAs... they are capable of single postless to quad posted, and i've done them all in it, in SS3136L, same with my azeroth, my 454BBs, all 4 of the dripboxes 60w/160w...alien 220... kboxes... i also use single coil round SS in all my kanger toptank RBAs all 8 of them, 4 pro tank 4's rbas... baby beast RBA, big baby beast RBA and the single/multiple coil SS works in every single one with no issues both in and out of TC. YOU have an issue, i have no idea why, but stop advising it doesn't work. i'm not the only one who has said it works... please just stop.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Which is preferable, Alpaca or Elk for wicking? I know Elkwool is still popular with some, but Alpacas are probably easier to keep in a small barn in the backyard so you don't have to hunt one down every time you need to rewick.:D

Oh, and as to wire, I like SS and pretty much only build with that these days.
I use the nose hairs of dragons to build coils. Any other methodology is just wandering around blindly lost in the darkness. Also, I have fully-documented 3rd-party, double-blind taste tests which intracontravertibly prove that my opinions are facts.

Pardon me, I was looking up SS316L stuff and accidentally wandered into this thread. The search system on ECF is obviously completely broken. I'll leave now. Shhhh, I was never even here.

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
well, three months later since this thread became the joke it turned into, with so many ranting how great they were as "they never had trouble" and not even coming close to offering any actual help, assistance or anything that wasn't condescending.

Well, in case anyone drops into it, I can at least say that I did figure it out, no thanks to any in here. (but it sure help me know who's who and who needed to go on my ignore list)

Turned out that it was a question that 316L SS does have trouble registering when you don't have enough wire/mass (large enough coil) for a single coil build.

You can't really go with a target ohm reading at that point, you need to go for as large a coil as you can get in the deck you have.

Once you hit the mass required, it will register correctly and work as it should.

Hopefully if someone with SS issues fall into this thread, this will help them instead of the pointless and childish arrogance that so many displayed.

Reactions: Deryan3

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
well, three months later since this thread became the joke it turned into, with so many ranting how great they were as "they never had trouble" and not even coming close to offering any actual help, assistance or anything that wasn't condescending.

Well, in case anyone drops into it, I can at least say that I did figure it out, no thanks to any in here. (but it sure help me know who's who and who needed to go on my ignore list)

Turned out that it was a question that 316L SS does have trouble registering when you don't have enough wire/mass (large enough coil) for a single coil build.

You can't really go with a target ohm reading at that point, you need to go for as large a coil as you can get in the deck you have.

Once you hit the mass required, it will register correctly and work as it should.

Hopefully if someone with SS issues fall into this thread, this will help them instead of the pointless and childish arrogance that so many displayed.
SO ridiculous. LOL! Get over yourself. As large a coil as your deck can fit? You simply must be joking. That is absurd and not true.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA

Which mod are you using to fire your tanks? While I don't doubt the symptoms you've experienced, there is a different cause other than SS wire. For example, I had one mod where I'd just added SS316L (but it could have been any wire type) to the list of available materials, popped a working tank (dual 7 wrap 28G coils) onto it, and got the nearest thing to a dry hit that TC is capable of, horrible. Checked the settings, and it had pre-heat set to 200W for up to 1 second, and it surely punched those coils. Set that down, turned it off, really, and got my vape back. The point is there's no reason wire type or single coils will cause the issue you're describing if you have a quality mod capable of measuring the resistance changes in the wire. I suspect you have a settings issue or a connection issue in the mod or the tank(s).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Which mod are you using to fire your tanks? While I don't doubt the symptoms you've experienced, there is a different cause other than SS wire. For example, I had one mod where I'd just added SS316L (but it could have been any wire type) to the list of available materials, popped a working tank (dual 7 wrap 28G coils) onto it, and got the nearest thing to a dry hit that TC is capable of, horrible. Checked the settings, and it had pre-heat set to 200W for up to 1 second, and it surely punched those coils. Set that down, turned it off, really, and got my vape back. The point is there's no reason wire type or single coils will cause the issue you're describing if you have a quality mod capable of measuring the resistance changes in the wire. I suspect you have a settings issue or a connection issue in the mod or the tank(s).

Thanks, but I tried with the same results over several mods and various tanks (at least 4-5 different ones used for testing this issue) and I was able to repeat the results every time.

I've been doing TC for quite a while using NI200 and never had issues with it, including with all these variants. I had started switching to SS, and wasn't getting good results with it until I started using it in dual builds, but still wanted to resolve the single coil issues.

As you stated, you had a bad pre-heat setting, no doubt that was a bad circumstance, but you also stated "dual coils".

And that's been my point, with dual coils I didn't have any issues with SS, but when I did small single builds of 4-5 wraps or such, I got the same results every time... but once I increased my number of wraps to the max that I could fit in these tanks' decks and no longer bother with the ohm range and go with what I get according to the gauge selected instead, I no longer have had issues since. Just did one yesterday in one of my Lemo 2, ended up with a 0.9ohm reading, and it's working just perfectly.

So I'd rather not beat a dead horse about it nor attract the bad crowd that made this thread into a joke, I just hope that when others that are having similar issues, will see this thread and find my solution and that it will help them.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
And that's OK if you got it to work. What these folks are trying to say, though, is there's no technical reason why a single coil with any number of wraps that meets the requirements of resistance for the mod to not work, or a reason the solution you've found is what's wrong with it. Since you use nickel wire sometimes, I expect the mods you use will go quite low, so fewer wraps of SS should work as well. There is no "wire mass" requirement on the circuit boards that power the mods, it is purely resistance, change in resistance (for TC), volts, and amps, all tuned to the setpoints put in by the user. I do prefer dual coils, but I have two drippers set up on single coils of SS, and they work just fine.
Now, toss a bad connection into a tank, and the equation for TC changes, since the initial resistance changes. Toss a bad board (since SS has a low TCR, you gotta be good to TC it) design in, and your temperature will, at the very least, be inaccurate. Toss a bad setting in (like I did, twice, once as I mentioned and another time having NI selected for a SS coil), and you might get a horrible taste or pop a coil.
I'm not into the discussion techniques you encountered, either, and if you were willing to consider that what you think is wrong really isn't what's wrong, I (or others with more experience with your mods, tanks, etc) may be able to lead you to an answer that would allow construction of any sized coil you wish. If you're happy, that's fine.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
And that's OK if you got it to work. What these folks are trying to say, though, is there's no technical reason why a single coil with any number of wraps that meets the requirements of resistance for the mod to not work, or a reason the solution you've found is what's wrong with it. Since you use nickel wire sometimes, I expect the mods you use will go quite low, so fewer wraps of SS should work as well. There is no "wire mass" requirement on the circuit boards that power the mods, it is purely resistance, change in resistance (for TC), volts, and amps, all tuned to the setpoints put in by the user. I do prefer dual coils, but I have two drippers set up on single coils of SS, and they work just fine.
Now, toss a bad connection into a tank, and the equation for TC changes, since the initial resistance changes. Toss a bad board (since SS has a low TCR, you gotta be good to TC it) design in, and your temperature will, at the very least, be inaccurate. Toss a bad setting in (like I did, twice, once as I mentioned and another time having NI selected for a SS coil), and you might get a horrible taste or pop a coil.
I'm not into the discussion techniques you encountered, either, and if you were willing to consider that what you think is wrong really isn't what's wrong, I (or others with more experience with your mods, tanks, etc) may be able to lead you to an answer that would allow construction of any sized coil you wish. If you're happy, that's fine.

Well, the point is, as I had explained in earlier posts, this is a regular issue that other people have also encountered, I found several threads about this very issue, here and in other forums, but the only solution the others had stated was that they simply gave up and went with SS 430 which has a better TCR value.

I've been doing builds for way too long to be doing something "wrong" in the sense that many seems to believe, I did test on multiple tanks, multiple mods and got the same results.

You might have different mods that are more forgiving or never built single with so few wraps that the TRC doesn't register correctly.

I did double check my builds, and took in any suggestions that I found here and in the other forums, but it was a given, I am not the only person that have had this issue, and no one ever posted any sort of solution.

If you believe that there's something else, I'd be happy to venture, but as I said, the moment that I added a few more wraps and no longer aimed for the lower ohm range, it worked out.

Note that in regular wattage mode, there was never any issues, but I wanted to get TC to work with my single coil built and have done so, and as I've applied this method to every tank that didn't work correctly before, but now does, I'm quite certain that it was the mass, and since this thread, I've discussed similar items with others, which actually confirmed their experience and mentioned mass before I even mention it myself.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
And the contest continues I see... how about doing a few searches about it instead of the tap each other on the back with sarcasm as the whole arrogance thing seems to be way over your understanding, for example:
ss coil TC issues - Google Search

Multiple people have had the same issues, the tank, the decks aren't the point really as other people had other tanks and mods than I did... I tested on cartridge rebuilds, Lemo2, OBS Ace (RTA), a few RDAs, all multiple times, different builds, different gauges, (anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm, from 3-4 wraps as I remember, as this was quite a while ago (so no, I don't have the links to those particular threads anymore)) and the results were the same.

So yes, I do "claim as facts" because after weeks of testing with the same results. discussing with other people that either had similar issues or such, it was conclusive that SS316L can be very finicky and with such small coils, the TC sensors of all my mods had trouble staying in SS. Again, something that many have experienced. Some tested and figured out that SS430 worked much better for them.

Yes these tanks uses very small coils, I tried various wicking methods, and tried various cottons, from various Japanese organic ones to Cotton Bacon, the ramp of SS on small single coils is simply so fast that unless I'd soak the coils in liquid (which I even tested in my RDas and still it would end up with a burnt taste), after a few puffs, it simply ramps too fast on such coils so the choice is restricted to low wattage/temp. and have a cool vape, or increase it a bit and one tiny bit too high and it burns very easily. And this was in both TC and Wattage mode.

Eventually I started switching over to dual decks RTAs and building duals in my RDAs and it's been working great in those... larger coils, more wraps, balanced power shared. Even all my mods that had issues with the smaller coils, no longer had any. SS has become my preferred choice for all my dual builds, but I will stick to NI for the smaller ones.

Why this is such a debate instead of us helping each other, I just don't get it...
I dropped by this thread to read about SS coils as I'm interested in trying them. I've seen numerous posts in the past both here and other sites by those having issues doing TC with SS such as changing resistance, tightening connections, unstable temp control, etc. so imagine my surprise at so many NEVER having even heard of an SS issue here lol :lol:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I dropped by this thread to read about SS coils as I'm interested in trying them. I've seen numerous posts in the past both here and other sites by those having issues doing TC with SS such as changing resistance, tightening connections, unstable temp control, etc. so imagine my surprise at so many NEVER having even heard of an SS issue here lol :lol:
First of all, this angel genius did not state he was referring specifically to TC problems until we drilled down on his arrogant nonsense.

Perhaps he is right about TC but that does not excuse his prior statements.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Don't recall seeing Anyone post that they have Never heard of someone having an Issue with SS.

And I'm Not seeing a Disproportionate amount of people having problems using a Single SS Coil here on the ECF. Seems like there are about the same amount of People who are having Problems with Kanthal(s) or NiChromes(s) as with SS. About the Only Alloy that I see above average Problems with is people using Ni-200.

What I do see is a Lot of People who are Trying SS because they like the Faster Ramp-Up Time. And many like the Taste of SS over Kanthal(s) or over NiChrome(s).

... In fact, I'm not sure I have ever seen Anything e-Cigarette-wise where you Couldn't find someone who is having an Issue.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So... Are we Now at a Single, Small, Few Wraps, 316L Coil, in TC Mode, not working in all TC Mods?

Man... Not sure how many times the Goal Post can get Moved? Cause I think we are Running Out of Stadium.

We can Walk this Back from a Single SS Coil to a Small SS Coil to a Small SS Coil with few Wraps to a Small SS Coil with few Wraps not working in TC Mode if you like. But then Doesn't how the Mod does TC have something to do with it at that Point?

I don't know why You have Problems running a Single SS Coil?

But are you Really doing the OP in this Thread (or anyone) a Favor by saying that SS Single Coils Don't Work just because You can't get them to Work?

Anyway. Happy New Year Imfallen_Angel.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
It isn't implausible that he's seeing what he's seeing, and that adding wraps made it better (it - not fixed, but better). With any sort of additional resistance in a TC circuit (ie - over and above the coil itself and the expected resistance from the tank/RDA) you'd introduce an error in the TC "math." I know the DNA boards (and probably the Yihi boards) expect some value of resistance for the tank, but I don't know what it is. Anyhow, adding more wraps to increase the base/cold resistance of the coil would reduce the error, might even make it OK to vape. The real fix, of course, is to disassemble and clean every threaded connection in the tank that conducts, the first step to that is to use something to measure ohms, put a coil in the mod and measure, and then short the posts and measure. There's the 510 threading into the mod, the threading of the positive post into the block (the old Russian 91's had a threaded connection into a screw which threaded into the block for an extra connection), usually a threaded "cover" onto the base (which has the 510 threads at the bottom), and the connection points for the coil at the least. I use Aqua 2's and have to pay attention to that "cover," as the threading to the base likes to come loose and mess with even the resistance seen on wattage mode.

Reactions: David Wolf

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
I also have no luck with SS in temp control.

I've never used a DNA board though, and the last YiHi board was in the IPV4

Tried a recent build with 316L and just starting low 300F the mod will fire and read 250 degrees max at the 15W I was running the build, but let me assure you the temp was way hotter than 250 degrees. tried some various TCRs and doesn't seem.
Note: this is just a recent incident, but I've never had a stable TC experience with SS on any of my mods, however I blame the MOD's more so then the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread