Anything specific i should know about building with SS wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I seem to Recall that when the K-Box first came out, people were saying that it Didn't do TC very well. That might have just been from the Kanger Haters? I didn't really follow it because I didn't have a K-Box.

Seems like there has to be some TC Settings? At the Very Lest, a Temperature for when TC is supposed to kick in.
I remade a 2.5mm dia coil with 5 wraps and it came out at .43 ohms , and when fired at 350 degrees it tastes burnt and sizzles incredibly loud. Very strange, dosent seem like the temp control is working very well on this. It does have up or down temp control on the kbox but not a way to put any wire parameter in like I have heard others speak of with various devices. It does however work with the dual coil armomizer with 2 2.5 coils at .12 ohms wich seems strange. If you have any more ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe will build one more coil and try again as I am a little stubborn. Thanks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I remade a 2.5mm dia coil with 5 wraps and it came out at .43 ohms , and when fired at 350 degrees it tastes burnt and sizzles incredibly loud. Very strange, dosent seem like the temp control is working very well on this. It does have up or down temp control on the kbox but not a way to put any wire parameter in like I have heard others speak of with various devices. It does however work with the dual coil armomizer with 2 2.5 coils at .12 ohms wich seems strange. If you have any more ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe will build one more coil and try again as I am a little stubborn. Thanks.

I just wish I knew more about the KBox 200 so I could help you.

I did a Quick search and came across this...

Adjusting the wattage/temperature:

"Adjusting the wattage/temperature on your Kangertech KBOX 200Wis easy.

Simply press the up or down button on the device to adjust the wattage/temperature to the desired setting. Make sure the wattage/temperature and ohms of your setup does not exceed the Amp limit of your batteries, you can do this by using ohms law. For more info please refer to this ARTICLE.

When in temp control mode, you are only able to change the max temp. The device will adjust the wattage accordingly to keep from going over the max temp."

Kangertech KBOX 200W TC Box Mod Instructions

So it sounds like the Mod will run at Max Watts while in TC. That's kinda Scary.

Because I have an early TC Mod that worked the same way. No Wattage control while in TC Mode. And it Wasn't a Reliable way to Vape. Because when the Mod did TC Wrong, I would get ALL the watts dumped onto the Coil. And then would get a Nasty Burnt hit like you are getting.

Reactions: schatz

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I just wish I knew more about the KBox 200 so I could help you.

I did a Quick search and came across this...

Adjusting the wattage/temperature:

"Adjusting the wattage/temperature on your Kangertech KBOX 200Wis easy.

Simply press the up or down button on the device to adjust the wattage/temperature to the desired setting. Make sure the wattage/temperature and ohms of your setup does not exceed the Amp limit of your batteries, you can do this by using ohms law. For more info please refer to this ARTICLE.

When in temp control mode, you are only able to change the max temp. The device will adjust the wattage accordingly to keep from going over the max temp."

Kangertech KBOX 200W TC Box Mod Instructions

So it sounds like the Mod will run at Max Watts while in TC. That's kinda Scary.

Because I have an early TC Mod that worked the same way. No Wattage control while in TC Mode. And it Wasn't a Reliable way to Vape. Because when the Mod did TC Wrong, I would get ALL the watts dumped onto the Coil. And then would get a Nasty Burnt hit like you are getting.
Thanks, I guess I should have done my own research. It does seem like it dumps massive amounts of wattage to the coil but keeps it under the temp you specify, so I took a small hit with it and oh god, I have never tasted anything as bad. I then took it apart and lo know looked at the cotton and it wasnt even burnt. I dont know what I was tasteing but I dont like this temp control thing. I primarily use mechs with subtanks and taifuns and just wanted to check the temp control thing out. It did say only 350 degrees when I dry fired it, so maybe I am under that with my .5ohm subtanks.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks, I guess I should have done my own research. It does seem like it dumps massive amounts of wattage to the coil but keeps it under the temp you specify, so I took a small hit with it and oh god, I have never tasted anything as bad. I then took it apart and lo know looked at the cotton and it wasnt even burnt. I dont know what I was tasteing but I dont like this temp control thing. I primarily use mechs with subtanks and taifuns and just wanted to check the temp control thing out. It did say only 350 degrees when I dry fired it, so maybe I am under that with my .5ohm subtanks.

And I tried out the 200 kbox because it was laying around for a backup for my daughter, as that is what she likes. I bought her a pico a few months ago and asked for it back to try the temp out on it and she said she gave it to a freind so I guess I will have to get another pico.

Nothing Wrong with something like a KBox if you are in VW Mode. And for it's Price, it isn't like it is a Waste.

It's just that Some Mods can do TC Better than others. Or can do a Wider Range of Coil Ohms or Alloy Types more reliably.

Check out this Review of the Colt Vape starting at 21:45

After watching it for a Very Little while, you will see why I made this Post in another thread ...

Thank you for posting this Heads Up about the Colt Volt. And this to me is a Good Example of how TC got a Bad Name with some people.

Because if a new to TC person tried TC on a Mod like this Colt Volt (or perhaps some of the Other early incantations of TC) they would come away thinking that TC didn't work. Or might think that TC doesn't work with a Given type of Coil.

All TC Mods are Not Created Equal. The Colt Volt is a Glaring example of this.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Nothing Wrong with something like a KBox if you are in VW Mode. And for it's Price, it isn't like it is a Waste.

It's just that Some Mods can do TC Better than others. Or can do a Wider Range of Coil Ohms or Alloy Types more reliably.

Check out this Review of the Colt Vape starting at 21:45

After watching it for a Very Little while, you will see why I made this Post in another thread ...

Thank you for that. I was starting to think that temp control was not what it has been cracked up to be, but that just goes to show maybe the kbox isnt the greatest at temp control. If I had not asked you my questions I would never have been shown this video and would have thought all temp devices to be like this. Maybe I will give it another try with another device like a pico. what do you rec, although I have already spent my Money hoardin and stockpiling so I cant spend too much. I just want to know what temps feel like at varying levels to build my mechs accordingly. Thanks.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you for that. I was starting to think that temp control was not what it has been cracked up to be, but that just goes to show maybe the kbox isnt the greatest at temp control. If I had not asked you my questions I would never have been shown this video and would have thought all temp devices to be like this. Maybe I will give it another try with another device like a pico. what do you rec, although I have already spent my Money hoardin and stockpiling so I cant spend too much. I just want to know what temps feel like at varying levels to build my mechs accordingly. Thanks.

If I was you, I would see if you could Try your Daughter's Pico. Even if it was just for an afternoon. Then if you like it, you could put it on your List for things to Buy when you have some Extra Cash.

Or if you find that TC doesn't do much for you, then you're Not Stuck with a New Mod that you Didn't need.

I don't use TC all the time. And still enjoy running a NiChrome 80 Build in a Sub/TopTank Mini.

The eLeaf Pico is a Nice, Compact Mod. Well Built. Has a pretty straight forward Menu system. And does TC well.

The Only downside is that if you use 23mm or Larger Atomizers, they won't fit unless you use a Heat Sink Riser.

Whiskeywarrior

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2017
If you want TC get a G2 Hohm wrecker. It will TC everything and I mean everything. Ni-chrome ni ti SS kanthal xXx mixed metals, whatever you want you can TC it. It also fires down to .007 ohms. That's not a typo. .007
As for the argument here I think of it like this. A man finds a flyrod and tries to use it, the line tangles up and the fly gets stuck in the tree. Is it the flyrods fault or the mans?
Just because someone has never had a problem with something and and stated such doesn't make them a snob and maybe just maybe listen to them and not berate them.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
If I was you, I would see if you could Try your Daughter's Pico. Even if it was just for an afternoon. Then if you like it, you could put it on your List for things to Buy when you have some Extra Cash.

Or if you find that TC doesn't do much for you, then you're Not Stuck with a New Mod that you Didn't need.

I don't use TC all the time. And still enjoy running a NiChrome 80 Build in a Sub/TopTank Mini.

The eLeaf Pico is a Nice, Compact Mod. Well Built. Has a pretty straight forward Menu system. And does TC well.

The Only downside is that if you use 23mm or Larger Atomizers, they won't fit unless you use a Heat Sink Riser.
Thanks for all the advice, I would try out my daughters pico but she gave it away already to a friend. I have just spent alot of $ in the last couple years stockpiling what I like and now temp control seems pretty cool. It never ends, might have to pick up a pico when I see a good sale. Oh by the way how do you like your toptanks and how do they compare to regular old stm.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Oh by the way how do you like your toptanks and how do they compare to regular old stm.

Hit wise, almost Identical. Functionality wise, I think they are a Little better.

Of course the TopTank has Top Fill. But it also has an (IMO) improved Base. Easier to dial in the Airflow you want. The base is also a Tad Shorter than the STM bases.

Not exactly Ground Break improvements. And I wouldn't Toss out my STM to get all New Ones. But some Nice Improvements none the less.

IMO Both the Sub and the TopTank Mini's are Fantastic RTA's. And are kinda like a 1/2" Box/Open End Wrench. Everyone should have at Least one.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Hit wise, almost Identical. Functionality wise, I think they are a Little better.

Of course the TopTank has Top Fill. But it also has an (IMO) improved Base. Easier to dial in the Airflow you want. The base is also a Tad Shorter than the STM bases.

Not exactly Ground Break improvements. And I wouldn't Toss out my STM to get all New Ones. But some Nice Improvements none the less.

IMO Both the Sub and the TopTank Mini's are Fantastic RTA's. And are kinda like a 1/2" Box/Open End Wrench. Everyone should have at Least one.
Good to know I dont have to alter my strategy by upgrading , since I have settled for the most part on these STM's. I now have 8 different tanks in rotation and 30 more at least in backup. When they go on sale I try to pick some up, I usually find them for 10 bucks each. Last summer Vape happy had a sale for 999 and decided to try them, it turned out that they were what I have been looking for in a tank. No leaks, thefirst time in 5 years that I didnt have to go around with juice on my fingers from some random airhole leak or seek.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good to know I dont have to alter my strategy by upgrading , since I have settled for the most part on these STM's. I now have 8 different tanks in rotation and 30 more at least in backup. When they go on sale I try to pick some up, I usually find them for 10 bucks each. Last summer Vape happy had a sale for 999 and decided to try them, it turned out that they were what I have been looking for in a tank. No leaks, thefirst time in 5 years that I didnt have to go around with juice on my fingers from some random airhole leak or seek.

The STM is just a Great all around RTA.

I've tried a Lot of Single Coil RTA's since the STM came out, and some might have a Feature that I like Slightly better. But I kept coming back to my STM's.

BTW - If you ever want a More Compact RTA, the Wotofo Sub Tank is a cut-down version of the TopTank mini. And runs the same Kanger Coil Heads and or RBA Section as the STM/TopTank Mini.

$16.56 Authentic Wotofo Serpent Sub Tank Clearomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + glass / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
The STM is just a Great all around RTA.

I've tried a Lot of Single Coil RTA's since the STM came out, and some might have a Feature that I like Slightly better. But I kept coming back to my STM's.

BTW - If you ever want a More Compact RTA, the Wotofo Sub Tank is a cut-down version of the TopTank mini. And runs the same Kanger Coil Heads and or RBA Section as the STM/TopTank Mini.

$16.56 Authentic Wotofo Serpent Sub Tank Clearomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + glass / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
That looks cool thanks for that, now stop it will you, lol. I have to stay oof of this forum because i see to much.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Nah, do not really mind bottom filling except you have or should remove your tank from the mod to fill and it uses the 510 more. But in 5 years I have not stripped or ruined a 510.
When I used bottom fill tanks such as the Manger Subtank I simply turned the mod upside down and unscrewed the tank from the base. No need to unscrew the base of the mod, though it's a bit more finicky than first unscrewing the atty.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Thumpey

Multiple ID Suspension
Apr 7, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company / Unregistered Supplier

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
so i am using this UD ss 316 L wire in wattage mode, 26 gauge spaced dual coils id 3 mm , 7 wraps at 0.27 ohm when cold. but the resistance fluctuates everytime i hit the fire button is it normal? what did i do wrong?

How Much Fluctuation are we talking about?

A Noticeable Raise in Resistance when 316/316L SS heats up is what make Temperature Control possible. So you are going to see the Same Fluctuation in resistance in Wattage Mode.

dedradd

Nov 26, 2016
indonesia
0.27 ohm when cold and at the first hit it goes up to 0.30 or 0.31 ohm and it goes back down again when it's cold. does it mean that it is normal in wattage mode the resistance fluctuates like that? the flavor beat kanthal and nichrome by far , love this ss wire but i kinda worried about the resistance changes

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
0.27 ohm when cold and at the first hit it goes up to 0.30 or 0.31 ohm and it goes back down again when it's cold. does it mean that it is normal in wattage mode the resistance fluctuates like that? the flavor beat kanthal and nichrome by far , love this ss wire but i kinda worried about the resistance changes

When a SS Coil Heats Up, the Resistance Increases. Doesn't matter if you are in TC Mode or if your are in Wattage Mode.

That type of Ohm Change is Perfectly Normal.

If your Mod only Displayed 1 digit to the right of the Decimal Point, you would Never Know it was happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread