Apex Vapor Alpha Information Page; Have Questions, Concerns, Suggestions, New Product Requests, or Want to Ask N8T the Alpha engineer a question? Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPJUNKIE510

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Well, I bought it. :)

It's been my main (only) vape for a little over a week now. There's definitely a learning curve, but I have to say I'm happy to have it. I'll be posting a review with details of my experience after I've REALLY put it through it's paces. (Gotta vape the HELL out of it before my opinion is worth too much.)

But all in all, one week in I'm happy with the purchase.

Everybody's got a right to their opinion, of course, and everybody else's is just as valid. But I had to ask-

Everybody seems to talk about what an expensive mod it is- I don't see it. Definitely not cheap- but at $119.99, or $179.99 with RES, the Ultramax isn't really in the same price category as the GGTS or the Provari, is it? (And you can get 20% off the max with the forum code.)

Best,
Ande

You have a good point , I owned a ggts and avs and really was disappointed with it. I had it feeding real good but I don't see the value. I haven't purchased the ultramx yet cause I'm worried about the threads not excepting the attys I use since I don't use joye. Ande can u let me know how it does with knock off attys ?

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
Quick answer-

I'm having no problems at all with the threads. I try to take care of my gear- I check that atties have the right size threads, and if they're worn to the point of being wobbly, I won't put them on anything good. (THough I'll still use them on an old ego, if they still work.)

The threads on the ultramax seem good- I've got a Jessy 1.8 ohm atty on it now. Vapes good.

I think we could do with a little clarification from the manufacturers (Apex) about what their intent is- but I'm not hesitant to put any properly sized 510 atty with good threads on this thing.

Best,
Ande

Smoking Guns

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Colorado Springs
I'm still in the honeymoon/learning stage for my Ultramax (so far I'm really liking it), but I have a question.

I'm new to atties (only have used cartomizer units in the past). How often to the atomizers need to be cleaned? How often should I switch them out?

Finally, to all you veteran Apex-Alpha users, what atomizers would you suggest for optimum performance? Are there better options over the Joye 510s that came with my kit?

Oh, wait... finally, finally. Anyone who has experience with tanks on these units please let me know what you've tried and how they compare to the res.

Thanks!

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
SGs, I either use Joye standard 510s or IKV 1.8/2.0 510 attys. I switch out the attys when I clean rinse out the RES. I then blow warm/hot water thru the atty and then let it dry.

I rinse out the RES as needed - your mileage could vary as to when you rinse out the RES.

I have used both a Lava Tank and a M1A1 tank on it and they work just fine. I use the RES when testing out juices before putting them in a tank when the flavor or vendor is new to me.

Hope this helps you some.

Smoking Guns

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the reply, Sashwa. Do you notice any difference between the Joye and IKV? I'm just wondering what I should order (only have two atties right now).

Sounds like most of your vaping with this unit is done with tanks. I was eyeballing the Liquinator, but I'm going to check out your suggestions. Do you like the Lava Tank or M1A1 tank better?

Thanks again (and sorry for all the questions!).

SGs, I either use Joye standard 510s or IKV 1.8/2.0 510 attys. I switch out the attys when I clean rinse out the RES. I then blow warm/hot water thru the atty and then let it dry.

I rinse out the RES as needed - your mileage could vary as to when you rinse out the RES.

I have used both a Lava Tank and a M1A1 tank on it and they work just fine. I use the RES when testing out juices before putting them in a tank when the flavor or vendor is new to me.

Hope this helps you some.

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
Never be sorry for asking questions. That's how you learn.

Well I use the standard Joye atty that are 2.3 or so. My IKV are either 1.8 or 2.0. So they each vape differently to me. I like them equally. Sorry I'm not much help. I like a cooler vape so I don't like the 1.5 LRs.

No most of my vaping with the UltraMax is done with the RES. I tried the tanks on it because I wanted to see if it could be done and it can. I use my tanks on my BuzzPro.

Don't get me wrong, I still like and use my UltraMax w/RES daily. I have juices that I really like but only want to vape them for a short time - not a full tank or even use a carto for.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
I like it a lot with 1.5 and 1.8 ohm 510s. (Joye or other, but make sure you don't use cheapies- the ohm ratings aren't reliable.) I like a fairly warm vape.

I've heard the RES also works well with cartos, but haven't had occasion to try it out yet.

I've also got a set of RCR123As, and tried it out at 6 volts. If you try this, get a fairly high resistance atty. (I don't have any atties over 3 ohms, and frankly at 3 ohms, I don't care for 6 volts. It'll blow your head off.)

I'd say stick with atties or maybe cartos on this unit- ya paid good money for the RES, and it's a heck of a system. Tanks are cool, but not necessary imo, unless you really want a LOT of juice without refilling.

Best,
Ande

Xiox

Apr 18, 2009
United Kingdom
On my Alpha I mainly use Cisco 306 and 510 atties both with 1.5 and 1.8 resistance (the vapour is too hot for me when the battery is freshly charged, so I use the 1.8 until its voltage drops a little). Tried some Boge cartomizers for a couple of days and while they perform well with the RES I don't like them as much, the vapour seems a little dry tasting at least to me.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
I've had my Ultra Max for a few days now, I'm finding it to be hit or miss...MOSTLY MISS.

As far as a learning curve goes that some users talk about, I don't believe there is one, it's pretty straight forward... follow the instructions as printed, 36 drops on the RES and 4 in the atty and the device should work as advertised...however, it doesn't...the RES does not feed the atty consistently, dry hits are frequent, I've found myself having to take a non-powered primer puffs to get juice to the atty or I'll get frequent dry hits.

I do agree with a previous post talking about the RES capacity, it might have a 2ml capacity but that definitely doesn't mean you'll get 2ml's worth of hits before refilling the RES, if your a heavy vapor as I am you'll be dripping frequently to keep the RES completely wet, my Ego-T with LR atomizers is way more consistent and rarely produces a dry hit and the vapor production is just as good.

After half a day there was RES ceramic grit in the atomizer threads as well in the RES threads both top and bottom, the atomizer almost seized up upon removal, that grinding is not going to be kind to this devices threads over an extended period of time.

Honestly not very happy with this device considering the price tag, if anyone after reading this is still in the market for one...I'd be more than happy to sell you mine at a greatly reduced price.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
Disagree about the lack of learning curve. The amount of liquid the RES can use and wick properly varies a lot according to the viscosity of the juice and the way you vape. 100%vg wicks a lot differently than 100%pg. And any blend is somewhere in the middle. How quickly it wicks also depends on how often, how long, and how forcefully you vape it.

I agree with you that you aren't going to be able to vape it dry- it may hold 2mls, but you don't get two mls of vaping between fills, as the RES stays somewhat moist.

The grit issue sounds a little serious- I'd give it a thorough clean, and lubricate the threads. Don't see how grit is getting in the atty threads, though. In any case, rinsing everything thoroughly should help.

Luck with it- I'm enjoying hell out of mine.

Best,
Ande

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
truman, I gotta disagree with you on the learning curve. There definitely is one and it can be overcome. I even considered giving up at one point, myself. After a couple weeks of use and adjusting how I did things I rarely had a dry hit or flooded atty. If you take the time to figure things out, it can work consistently and work well, but you have to make the effort and be willing to adjust different aspects of your vaping style to suit it.

Items like this really do require an open mind and willingness to stick with it and adjust to suit. Not everyone will get along well with them and that's fine. To each their own, but I've found the RES to be a great unit :)

As for the grit in the threads, while I guess it is possible that it's from the RES keep in mind that the threads on the device when brand new will wear in a little over time (since they aren't precisely matched between specific components, ie- this specific RES with this specific cap, when cut and have been plated after cutting). This will leave a little fine grit in them that cleans up easily and the amount left behind will reduce over time. My unit had some rough feels to it when screwing anything on or off at first, but after a short while they wore in nicely and now go quite smoothly and no longer leave any grit behind

Just my :2c: I don't fault you at all for not liking the device, everyone's tastes and preferences and vaping styles are different, I just disagree with your statements regarding those two points and am sharing my view :)

vanZilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2011
Los Angeles
... Honestly not very happy with this device considering the price tag, if anyone after reading this is still in the market for one... I'd be more than happy to sell you mine at a greatly reduced price.

Oooo k, then ... Call me old fashioned but I love a Win-Win deal - I am the Happy & Proud new owner of Truman's 1-week old Ultra Max w/ RES! It wasn't for him, but it IS for me...

:rickroll:

I don't mind that there's a learning curve, I've already watched every vid on YouTube (twice!) and I'm reading every page of every thread. I'll, .. I'll .. even read the Manual!

:matrix:

I'm happy to stick with it and see it through - I think this is one of the coolest mods made ... it's unique, nothing else like it, not even close ... it's a work of Art - and I like Art.

8 :]

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Oooo k, then ... Call me old fashioned but I love a Win-Win deal - I am the Happy & Proud new owner of Truman's 1-week old Ultra Max w/ RES! It wasn't for him, but it IS for me...

:rickroll:

I don't mind that there's a learning curve, I've already watched every vid on YouTube (twice!) and I'm reading every page of every thread. I'll, .. I'll .. even read the Manual!

:matrix:

I'm happy to stick with it and see it through - I think this is one of the coolest mods made ... it's unique, nothing else like it, not even close ... it's a work of Art - and I like Art.

8 :]

Congrats on your purchase, can't beat a deal like that. How are you liking it so far?

vanZilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2011
Los Angeles
Congrats on your purchase, can't beat a deal like that. How are you liking it so far?

I love it. Plain and simple, I love it.

I dig Art Deco and I've got a thing for the whole Steam Punk / Jules Verne / Philip Pullman 'impossible machines made w/ alternative technology' look - and this sure fits the bill.

Looks like it could have been made 100 yrs ago, or maybe a 100 yrs in the future - I'm not sure which!

Gort01.jpg

I think I'll name it "Gort"

Last edited:

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Haha I haven't heard that one yet, but definitely makes sense. Good to know it's working out for you! Looks like trumans loss is your big gain.

I love it. Plain and simple, I love it.

I dig Art Deco and I've got a thing for the whole Steam Punk / Jules Verne / Philip Pullman 'impossible machines made w/ alternative technology' look - and this sure fits the bill.

Looks like it could have been made 100 yrs ago, or maybe a 100 yrs in the future - I'm not sure which!

Gort01.jpg

I think I'll name it "Gort"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread