Are we shooting ourselves in the foot by using the term 'E Cigarette'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Didn't read all the suggestions, but...

Battery
Operated
Nicotine
Emitter

It's a BONE!

boning might raise some eyebrows but not bad
Oh. My.

I've taken to introducing it as an "E-cigarette... Personal Vaporizer, whatever...", but you're right, neither is really descriptive enough. My buddy said "It isn't that thing that heats the tobacco is it? Because that smells and tastes awful." I still had to explain it. We probably do need something that's short and concise. And not dirty. Preferably.

Nicotine
Atomizing
device

...still no good. *sigh*
yeah I'm not sucking on anyones nads

Last edited:

roxinal

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2009
marshalltown iowa
People ask me what it is and I say "it's an electronic cigarette, but I like to call it a punch stick."
"Why do you call it a punch stick?"
Then I punch them in the face. So yeah, I think being called an electronic cigarette turns them off.

playerags
I love that made me laugh. remember the commercial about hawian punch the little guy says how would you like a hawaian punch and he punches the other guy, Probably before your time I am a old timer lol. Anyways thought that was funny
Roxanne(roxinal):rolleyes:

mbolack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2009
Tulsa
I'm thinking we should leave the word nicotine out of it. After all, many of us have the eventual goal of vaping without any nicotine content.

How about doing about this backwards? What *doesn't* the FDA regulate... or bother with? What words are used to describe those, and how could those words be truthfully combined?

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I call it that too (nicotine vaporizer, actually.) The only somewhat negative comment I've ever gotten is "Why don't you just quit?" which is a valid question.

I know what you mean about the "Why don't you just quit?" question being valid - but imho it's also a bit rude. It's doubly irritating because the people who ask the question are often bone stupid - I feel like replying "Why don't you develop social skills?" It's a vexed one, that's for sure.

rfun6

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2009
Tennessee ....
Inhaler
Mister (double meaning)
personal light saber (pls)
miniature light saber (mls)
Penning (cause shaped like a pen)
Atomizer or Atom-ing
Atoning - to make amends... for past smoking
Kicker - kicking,,, for kicking the habit

I'm just running on trying to think of a good name. Don 't want anything that kids would be to attracted to. But you want it to catch on and attention grabbing. The name shouldn't be something to scare people with medical terms or anything to do with smoking.
I'm sure we can rack our brains and come up with something good. Let's keep trying.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Inhaler
Mister (double meaning)
personal light saber (pls)
miniature light saber (mls)
Penning (cause shaped like a pen)
Atomizer or Atom-ing
Atoning - to make amends... for past smoking
Kicker - kicking,,, for kicking the habit

I'm just running on trying to think of a good name. Don 't want anything that kids would be to attracted to. But you want it to catch on and attention grabbing. The name shouldn't be something to scare people with medical terms or anything to do with smoking.
I'm sure we can rack our brains and come up with something good. Let's keep trying.
add
nic
delivery
inhaler
smokeless(very important part)
replacement
digital
HD (seems to be all the rave these day)
therapy
vaporizer

there has to be an abbreviation somewhere

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
I just thought about how much the term e-cigarette might help some people to accept the idea as a nicotine replacement method rather than simple drug abuse. Does anyone agree?
To most non'smoker's nicotine replacement is drug abuse. I've actually had my kids come home from school and tell me I use drugs.............

If you add in the word cigarette and most think a cigarette is a cigarette is a cigarette.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I love it. Kids propagandized to accuse their parents of drug abuse.

Everyone uses drugs. Anyone who says they don't is full of ****. Caffeine, nicotine, aspirin, alcohol... the list goes on and on. There's not a single human being on the planet that doesn't use one drug or another. The problem is the black and white language of the culture war against certain drugs. There's no distinction made between drug use and drug abuse. There are millions of people who drink but are not alcoholics. There are millions of people who smoke who are not abusive smokers. There are millions of people who use pot who are not addicted. There are millions of people who drink coffee who don't abuse caffeine. But the mainstream community doesn't want to admit that there's such a thing as responsible drug usage. It undermines too many lucrative avenues. The perception is that there's more money to be made and more power to be consolidated by demonizing drugs than there is to recognize the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread