Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Even though I doubt that I will get the Ares, I will continue to watch Phil, DJLsb, Anthony, Todd and a couple more, all for different reasons. Not Vic though, when I feel that a reviewer's own self interest is more important than mine, that's when I move on. It's my money that he is trying to get me to spend through his review, whether he knows it, or not.

I will watch several different reviewer's, and what they say about a piece of vape gear, consider what their style of vaping is, be it Lung Hits only, or Restricted Lung Hits, or MTL, and if they use High wattage, Medium Wattage, or Low Wattage, if they use a Tight Draw drip tip or one the size of a Hub Cap. Some of those Negatives they put on a piece of vape gear, might be positives for me, so I take all that into consideration.

But I have to feel that they are telling me the Unvarnished Truth about a product.

exactly. when it comes to an actual review it should be fair and unbiased and focus on only the product itself. take the pharaoh for instance i don't like rip, i know many don't. not that i don't like him personally, i just don't like his everything is awesome style of review. but when reviewing the pharaoh i had to focus on the product itself and it's a great product. I feel many can't be objective. and it's a widespread issue not an isolated case. and again it falls on the community. IDK if people know why i stopped posting here, but it goes back to this exact issue. it was about the captain PD270 which i tested and it failed and i consider to be a poor mod and not worth buying. another user here did a review of which was sponsored praising the mod. I was trying to warn to others that the mod is a POS and not waste money but that user was hell bent on shilling it out in the hopes of getting more free stuff. in other words he sold out to get some free gear. he .....ed to the mods and they warned me to leave it alone and decided to let him continue his shilling. at that point i figured it's not worth posting here if that's how it's going to be that people are allowed to do that and if someone speaks up about it they get a warning. so i just decided to not post here much. since then that user also while claiming how the TC on the captain is great, was asking me question because he didn't know how to use it. hell he still doesn't.

he's done 2 reviews since then both glowing of course but also to anyone who knows what they are talking about clearly can tell he doens't know anything. but noobs who google and find it, will fall for it and it's sad. besides that the only posts this user makes is in contests threads. his reviews he tests temp control using the TFV12 T12 coils and baby beast coils. none of which are SS but for some reason he thinks it is and says they work in TC on every device he's reviewed. Now i don't go around posting in his reviews calling it out, i just ignore it but it does make me sad that it's allowed. I understand there is a "freedom of speech" but where is the line drawn? when it comes to misleading people for personal gain i don't think it should be allowed. I did a review on the invoke recently and on another forum someone else who reviewed it came into my thread trying to shill it despite me giving it a bad review. he went as far as to say i'm wrong and it's a good mod in the effort of getting free stuff. Even everyday users do it too. Since i started getting stuff i've been hit with dozens of messages of people asking how to get free stuff and new "reviewers" without a clue popping up all because they want free stuff. it makes me sick. I seen a guy win a drag on another forum. have it for 1 day. ask questions about how to use it as he had no clue then hours later post a glowing review. Now i know the drag is a great mod, but clearly this person has no business posting that review because it could have been a bad mod and they wouldn't know. The entire concept of reviews has been so watered down and tarnished that i just mostly feel like I'm fighting a losing battle because people only care about free .... and have no integrity.

I guess I'm scum. I liked Vic's review, and I'll probably like the Ares eventually after I work with it more.

why would you say you are scum? I don't get it. nothing wrong with liking a review or product?

As for reviewers, their own products, and reviews of same: what's that old saying...sometimes, the best course of action is to do nothing. Put the product out and let the chips fall. Say nothing in response to criticism. Just provide customer support.

As for Vic. I've been watching his reviews for a while and he's been one of the few reviewers I do watch. But, yeah, his review for Ares was certainly atypical for him...in so far as the format his reviews follow. Something was definitely "up", there. Either he had an axe to grind, or he just REALLY hated the tank and went off the rails. Ah well...time to move on. ;)

I think DJL did it right personally. he showed how to use it, explained his design choices, showed what's in the box and all that but didn't review or glorify it.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Exactly, I hear ya ^^^, and agree 100%. Phil did (4) videos on how to use the Ares, he didn't hype it at all, just explained how to use and wick and build on that Ares. They were more instructional videos than anything else.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The problem is that anyone can buy a video recorder and make videos. When we see that something is wrong in the video (like bad advise), sometimes we can correct it by pointing it out, and sometimes we just can't no matter how hard we try. "Truth in Advertising" is coming in shorter and shorter supply nowadays. It's "Buyer Beware" for sure.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Exactly, I hear ya ^^^, and agree 100%. Phil did (4) videos on how to use the Ares, he didn't hype it at all, just explained how to use and wick and build on that Ares. They were more instructional videos than anything else.

and that's exactly as it should be.

The problem is that anyone can buy a video recorder and make videos. When we see that something is wrong in the video (like bad advise), sometimes we can correct it by pointing it out, and sometimes we just can't no matter how hard we try. "Truth in Advertising" is coming in shorter and shorter supply nowadays. It's "Buyer Beware" for sure.

yeah but there are 2 sides. in the case of youtube they can easily censor their channel, disable comments etc etc. even with comments saying things like the hate many get, most people will more often then not, especially the uninformed side with the reviewer as the voice of knowledge because they made the video. with written reviews it's a bit different. I've seen a lot of people pop up once i started getting stuff for review trying to do the same but with no knowledge and no idea of what they are doing. when people search for a review, especially new vapers, they tend to believe it's done by someone with experience and knowledge when it isn't, it screws over the new person. case in point as i said with the reviewer here talking about how good the t-priv is in temp control with the baby beast when it isn't even compatible in temp control due to kanthal coils and the mod sucks at TC anyway, i often answer many questions of people i see on forums asking about temp control with that kit and have to tell them it's not compatible for temp control. now where they heard the idea from? IDK but it could have been from the review there and then someone wasted their money on a kit that doens't do what they thought it would based on an uninformed reviewer. and like i said i tried to speak up, and was shut down by the mod team and that's why we are in the position we are in with bad info everywhere and apparently it's not allowed to speak out on it. On top of that you get trolls and fanboys when you do give good info if you don't like the product they do and they get pissy which could sway others into believing the wrong info. that's why i did a measure by weight on my SMM review. one fanboy of wotofo sweared it was 4ml capacity. i measured with a syringe and then weight and got 3.7 i seen about 3-4 other reviews claiming 2.6 to 3.8 only he got a full 4 supposedly but he argued so hard with everyone for whatever reason, that people may believe the bigger mouth

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
It is not necessary to assume bad intentions and dishonesty in those who have differing opinions. It is actually possible for someone to genuinely and sincerely love a consumer product that you genuinely and sincerely believe to be a worthless piece of trash.

Opinions are biased by their very nature. Opinions are formed by weighing evidence, everyone decides what weights to apply to each variable and these decisions are very often done unconsciously

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Where's that Busardo link at Please, I would like to read it, I'm interested, and I haven't watched "General Hospital" in decades.;)
Busardo’s first comment is pinned to the top of the comment section under Vic’s YouTube video. On an iPad you have to “open” the comment to read the thread that follows. Not sure whether the underlying thread is visible by default on a computer.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
It is not necessary to assume bad intentions and dishonesty in those who have differing opinions. It is actually possible for someone to genuinely and sincerely love a consumer product that you genuinely and sincerely believe to be a worthless piece of trash.

Opinions are biased by their very nature. Opinions are formed by weighing evidence, everyone decides what weights to apply to each variable and these decisions are very often done unconsciously
it really depends on the situations. If you want to say flavor production and ejuice i can buy that for sure with personal preference playing a huge factor. Some things are more factual. like a reviewer saying a mod does good temp control with the baby beast coils that are SS. because factually the baby beats coils are kanthal, factually the mod doens't have a mode to do temp control with kanthal. thread quality, leaking issues with poor design, glass quality, post screw quality, mod output of accuracy and consistency (since i do test them) , ability to temp control etc are all factual and measurable items. muhc like the fucha 213 series mods, they factually didn't put out anywhere close to 200 watts. it's not an opinion or subjective. it's a hard fact

edit: in those cases either the reviewer has bad intentions or poor knowledge. and if someone has poor knowledge they have no business in doing a review so that can revert back to bad intentions. Case in point one time i had an offer from someone to review some 200 dollar projector. it looked cool but i turned it down. i don't them i only do vape reviews and even if i had an interest in reviewing a projector i'm nowhere near qualified to give a good assessment on it. now i could have taken it for free, did a shoddy review and enjoyed my new projector but i didn't. It comes down to integrity. I also was offered some dog leash and money to do a review on amazon as a verified buyer. i .... you not. they said buy the leash give it a good review and you can keep it and we'll reimburse you for it and give you extra. I told them no i don't do stuff like that. some would have taken the leash and done it. funny enough with all that BS not once has avaping company ever tried to get me to do a positive review, nor has any gotten mad at me for negative ones despite popular belief that it happens all the time. I think it more comes down to the individual but to an outside person, how do they know who to trust and who not to?

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
it is in my humble opinion that 99% of all reviewers would benefit by getting the hell over themselves and realize that they're just average people with enough free time on their hands to play with vape stuff in front of a camera. The ones that can't stop complaining about the other ones are the worst of the lot. Good Lord.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I will admit, I love it when someone does a NON-sponsored review of their vape equipment that they purchased, just because they love it that much. That's worth more than a zillion words, and the most "catchy" video in the world..... :)

Anna
I half agree with this. it is nice to see people happy with their gear for sure. The only thing is the downside of it. to give an example

lets say poopman is the biggest reviewer in the world. he has 10 million subs. poopman designs an RDA the poop rda. he hypes it up, everyone hypes it up all his subs everywhere on the internet we see the poop RDA and nobody even has it for that matter yet. it's the best because poopman says so. Now lets say joe is a vaper. joe has been vaping for a couple of years, never owned an rda or any rebuild-able he's been vaping on some premade tank for 2 years and ahppily off cigs. he decides i want to get an RDA. he finds the poop RDA from all the hype goes to a local shop and gets one super early. he takes it home, slaps in his 1st build and loves it. he then goes online to tell everyone how the poop RDA is the best RDA ever and give it's a glowing review. now someone who has a bunch of RDAs sees this review, doens't know who joe is but knows joe made this review, loved it, purchased himself, and vaped for 2 years. we'll call him bob. bob decides i'll buy this RDA for my collection. Bob gets it and thinks it's junk and he has 10 better RDAs already. so bob does to joe's review and says i brought one and it's junk. Joe replies well it's my 1st RDA and better then the tank i've been using for the last 2 years. now bob feels cheated because he thought the review was of someone who was more experienced with different RDAs. Bob could recommend 10 better RDAs then the poop rda but joe's review is selling them out and people are getting disappointed except for the other people like joe.

that's why i half agree. I do love seeing people's opinions for all levels of experience, vaping types etc. but when you say something is a review it makes it sound more professional and people take it as such compared to something like i just got my 1st RDA this si what i think and i'm excited. that sounds a lot better

Reactions: 52anddone

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Who cares if you speak your mind? It's a forum....it's main function is to give folks a place to speak their minds. If you want to leave, leave. If you want to stay, stay. That's another beautiful feature of a forum...no time clock. You get paid the same either way.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Sadly, mine is now leaking under the base also. I think the juice is coming out of the airflow holes in my case. I had disassembled and cleaned the tank out yesterday and rewicked and filled with a new juice. I got a little gurgling at first, then the leaking started. Everything feels tight, so not sure what I possible did wrong. I haven't checked the Orings yet. That's next for me. Open for any suggestions...
Jingles, I've run into that only one time and it was when I was tweaking my wick. And here comes the jokes......... Seems that in the process of playing with my soaked wick ends, (More comments I thinking) I created a gap in the channel in the back of one side and juice just dribbled out the air holes. Once I found it and made sure that the wick channel was fully blocked with Rayon. No more leaks.

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
trust me, i know what you implied about me. sorry i'm passionate about helping others and not happy with the state of things. I'll gladly leave if people here don't want me speaking my mind.
I want you to speak your mind. I read your reviews over on reddit and think they are great. When I don't agree with you, I will still believe that you are being honest and doing the best that you can do to the best of your ability and knowledge until there is evidence to the contrary.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
On another note: The seeping from the top cap fill slider was juice (as others have mentioned) and not condensation (as I initially thought). I've tested this by making a shim out of the bottom of a chicken nugget sauce container. Don't laugh.... it was the only thing I could find that was thin enough and stiff enough to be placed under the gasket. Ran it like that for two days with no seepage. I have removed it however because it caused the fill port gasket just a little to high as was causing some damage on the edges. I had to press in on the gasket when closing due to it being so tight. So it looks like it might be a tolerance issue. Since removing, I've not had as much seepage, but then again it's sits upright all the time. The other cause of seepage I've noticed was liquid getting under the slider when I was filling with a dropper that is a little too big. For that fix, I just made sure that when I filled the tank the dropper was in the center of the fill hole and not off to the side. This helped minimize the seepage.
Right now I running a 26 ga SS316L coil @ 2.5 ID and getting .526 ohm wicked with Rayon running 22.5 watts and getting really good flavor and vapor. Thanks for those who stated they were using SS316 & 2.5 ID and getting good flavor, I agree.

Reactions: 52anddone

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I want you to speak your mind. I read your reviews over on reddit and think they are great. When I don't agree with you, I will still believe that you are being honest and doing the best that you can do to the best of your ability and knowledge until there is evidence to the contrary.
i appreciate that for sure i was just responding to the other user since they insinuated something and thought I didn't get it then facepalmed at my post. I don't post here often and didn't want to disrupt or ruffle any feathers of the regular posters which is why i made that offer. I don't expect people to agree with everything i say by any means. atomizers can be tricky because everyone likes a different vape or has different preferences. juice is pretty dam subjective. people will always have differing opinions and i do keep an open mind as i feel myself and everyone should always be learning

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Jingles, I've run into that only one time and it was when I was tweaking my wick. And here comes the jokes......... Seems that in the process of playing with my soaked wick ends, (More comments I thinking) I created a gap in the channel in the back of one side and juice just dribbled out the air holes. Once I found it and made sure that the wick channel was fully blocked with Rayon. No more leaks.

Thanks Seiggy! I did end up unscrewing the base and tucking my tails in tighter earlier this afternoon. It did seem to help the leaking situation. Another case of user error!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
i appreciate that for sure i was just responding to the other user since they insinuated something and thought I didn't get it then facepalmed at my post. I don't post here often and didn't want to disrupt or ruffle any feathers of the regular posters which is why i made that offer. I don't expect people to agree with everything i say by any means. atomizers can be tricky because everyone likes a different vape or has different preferences. juice is pretty dam subjective. people will always have differing opinions and i do keep an open mind as i feel myself and everyone should always be learning
In the spirit of lightening the mood, here's a hilarious review (the only one I could find for this device that I wanted to order) where the reviewer can't figure out how to fill the tank or turn down the wattage.

Anyway, I got this kit despite his grave warning and here's a pic of the fill holes in the tank. The mod works really well - no blowing up

Attachments

• IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread