Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
This is probably just in my head, but the draw feels tighter if I uncover the small hole using the slot rather than the single hole on the AFC. I would have been happier with a Allen screw AFC on both the Ares and Beserker.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is 100% true, now that I test it. It makes my black one usable again.

I wonder what the heck is going on under that airflow ring!?!?

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I'm still not sure what happened to my Ares tank, but somehow the gold bottom pin broke off internally and was no longer making a connection. That's why it is spinning freely. I'm excited to get the new one and am hopeful I won't run into any other issues!

Now that's a New one on me. I have never seen anyone post that that has happened to them before. I take it that you are talking about the 510 pin/screw breaking off internally. That is weird, but having to make a video for them sucks, big time !!

Reactions: stols001

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Whatever you smoked, other brands just wouldn't do it for you if you had to bum one...god forbid a menthol. Although we'd definitely take them in a pinch.

Whoa now dawg, whoa. Don't be too hard on Menthol's here;), I smoked Kool Kings for many decades, and make my DIY a Menthol/Mint juice, that I am using right now. I guess I have always been a dual user, as I always liked both Camel "unfiltered" and Kool "King sized". Right now I DIY Menthol/Mint and Unflavored juice's, so I guess I haven't changed much.:rolleyes: That's one of the things I liked about smoking Kool's, is when folks saw what I was smoking, they wouldn't ask for one. My Win !!:thumbs:

Edit; I guess this makes me a "Independent", rather than a "Liberal" or a "Conservative" ?? To put it another way, I swing BOTH ways.:rolleyes: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nope, not really folks.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Now that's a New one on me. I have never seen anyone post that that has happened to them before. I take it that you are talking about the 510 pin/screw breaking off internally. That is weird, but having to make a video for them sucks, big time !!
I had a Vaporesso Gemini RTA that was delivered to me DOA; that had a similar problem. The 510 positive screw just spun freely, and I couldn't get an electrical connection. When I turned the screw, you could see something (looked like a shiny metal bar) spinning around inside the air intake slots, that was obiously atted to the screw. If I put a toothpick through the slot, to stop the bar from spinning, the bar would thread up/down the 510 screw.

This deck has a modified velocity style deck (in that it has a tube running up the center of the deck that is supposed to provide additional air to the insides of the dual coils). As best I could figure, because the positive post was not directly centered over the 510 screw, they needed a means to connect the pin to the post.

This was the diagram I included in my e-mail, to the retailer that sold it to me, to help explain what I thought was going on:
upload_2018-2-8_3-16-21.png

I also included a short video that demonstrated what the spinning bar looked like through the air slot. I never got any conformation/denial that my design presumptions were correct. But, they sent me a replacement deck, without any further questions. :)

I don't know how the bar was supposed to be attached to the positive post (if it was cast, press-fit, threaded, or something else). But, when I removed the 510 screw completely (thereby detaching the bar), I could find nothing else internally that the screw could reach/touch.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What mod is that? Looks small for dual battery, and I like small mods for pocketability. But maybe they're not 18650's? Pretty nice sized display, too.

It's an eleaf invoke. I won it, and I reviewed it somewhere. Love it, great battery life, good form factor, nice vape and feels good in the hand. I'm really glad I won it as it's not something I probably would have purchased, although I do love all my Eleaf products. I know there are other folks that have one and really like it, too.

Anna

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I had a Vaporesso Gemini RTA that was delivered to me DOA; that had a similar problem. The 510 positive screw just spun freely, and I couldn't get an electrical connection. When I turned the screw, you could see something (looked like a shiny metal bar) spinning around inside the air intake slots, that was obiously atted to the screw. If I put a toothpick through the slot, to stop the bar from spinning, the bar would thread up/down the 510 screw.

This deck has a modified velocity style deck (in that it has a tube running up the center of the deck that is supposed to provide additional air to the insides of the dual coils). As best I could figure, because the positive post was not directly centered over the 510 screw, they needed a means to connect the pin to the post.

This was the diagram I included in my e-mail, to the retailer that sold it to me, to help explain what I thought was going on:
View attachment 718419

I also included a short video that demonstrated what the spinning bar looked like through the air slot. I never got any conformation/denial that my design presumptions were correct. But, they sent me a replacement deck, without any further questions. :)

I don't know how the bar was supposed to be attached to the positive post (if it was cast, press-fit, threaded, or something else). But, when I removed the 510 screw completely (thereby detaching the bar), I could find nothing else internally that the screw could reach/touch.
Nice work... Its like an x ray image of the tank. lol

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts

View attachment 718419

That was nicely done Joel.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Thanks.:) My drafting instructor (from 30+ years ago) is probably flailing in his grave; but it kinda-sorta gets the idea across.:D
I remember my mechanical drawing class. Mr Ackerman, great instructor

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran

View attachment 718419

A really good explanation of your problem. I now see what you are talking about. They got you all fixed up and sent a new deck, Super.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man my ares flavor is great now. (I turned the wattage up 3 watts).

Ask me why I didn't experiment more sooner? IDK. I haven't had to "push" wattage much over 10, so I usually don't. For me with this setup 13 watts just gets the job done.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot, but I'm glad to see it really IS excellent for flavor. Was wondering what I was doing wrong.... LOL.

Anna

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I just built 3 Ares, with identical coils, and identical wicking. (Well as close as I can get them to identical).

I put the same juice in all 3.

ALL 3 Ares have different draws, when set to the same hole/setting.

This inconsistency is driving me nucking futs.

I saw a sale on a berserker, and I’ll be pulling the trigger.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I just built 3 Ares, with identical coils, and identical wicking. (Well as close as I can get them to identical).

I put the same juice in all 3.

ALL 3 Ares have different draws, when set to the same hole/setting.

This inconsistency is driving me nucking futs.

I saw a sale on a berserker, and I’ll be pulling the trigger.
The Berserker has a tighter draw for me.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I just got a Berserker and I really like the tight draw but I have to practice a little more with the wicking (rayon).

The Ares is so much easier to build & wick and I seem to get it right every time. The vape is consistently smooth with great TH & flavor, not to mention being very silent.

I will continue with the Berserker because with wicking practice, I'm sure it will get better.

As it stands... the Ares is my #1. :thumb:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well now that I have all three, the Siren V2 is still my favorite. The Ares is a close second (mine is also silent and non-leaking) and I like the draw a great deal... It's a nice balance between the siren (very airy) and the berserker (almost enough force to detatch my dentures from my implants, which isn't so good). I may drill out one of the airholes more on the Berserker, although I have to say all three of them have strong points and really, it becomes a matter of personal preference.

Other than Kayfuns, it's nice to see some reliable, easy to use and excellent flavor MTL RTAs hitting the market at once, and to get to compare them. I like things about all of them, and use all of them. The Siren V2 is pretty unbeatable to me, and I don't know why.... Perhaps it was because it was the first RTA I had some real, easy consistent success with. It shines best with fruit flavors in my opinion, but I don't consider it "flavorless" with really any of my juices. I just love it.

Anna

Cirus

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Update: I cleaned/blew out mine, took off the diffuser, and put the tank band/protector that came with it around the top cap, noticed the airflow ring moved much smoother and the vape was much smoother, and the horrid noise disappeared. Put on the diffuser and took off the tank band/protector and after an hour the noise returned ever so slightly. Noise got a little bit worse so I tilted and blew to get the most condensation I have ever gotten out of any tank after 2 hours of vaping. Noise was still annoying. Why is the airflow and rings changing on these? Half of me wants to break this thing apart and see how these things are made. Can't deal with the inconsistencies. Can't know what it's going to do next build.

Innokin: After providing them with all the info they asked for they wanted me to go through Vapor Authority for the return. Contacted VA and they wanted me to follow their policy. I informed both I would not be paying for anything. Innokin said they would send a new tank and VA offered to provide a return label. Customer service has been great with both so far.

Hopefully the new tank is good.
Received the new Ares from Innokin yesterday and I'm happy to report it's working. Annoying noise is gone. Guess I got a bad one. Just in case someone is thinking of buying an Ares from Vapor Authority, they said mine was the only one they sold that had this problem.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
This is probably just in my head, but the draw feels tighter if I uncover the small hole using the slot rather than the single hole on the AFC....

Nope. Not in you head. :)

I discovered this a while back and it's allowed the Ares to, at least, be usable for me.

What mod is that? Looks small for dual battery, and I like small mods for pocketability. But maybe they're not 18650's? Pretty nice sized display, too.

I own the Invoke as well. Like Stols, I'm pretty happy with it. Probably the smallest dual 18650 mod you'll find today. It's tiny. My only minor issue is the battery door on the bottom...maybe not the tightest around. It's never accidentally opened on me, but I do find myself inspecting it fairly often as it will loosen slightly from use (picking up/setting down).

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
Hi,
so I wanted to ask you folks to take a look at my build. Can´t get this thing to work like it should, after rewicking it´s fine for a few draws until the wick starts to get dry again and gives me dry hits. There is just no juice reflow. Hardly see any bubbles rising, if so, very tiny ones.

Currently I´m using a 3 mm ID SS coil 28GA with 9 wraps, very slightly spaced. Results in around 1 ohms, vaping with 14 watts. Standard KGD cotton pads used for wicking. Also tried Rayon, no difference.

ares1.jpg

ares2.jpg

ares3.jpg

ares4.jpg

What do you think?
Also, my mod looks like this in the morning:

ares_sipping.jpg

Seeping down from the airflow ring on the mod... very annoying.
Also emaild Phil Busardo about this, maybe he can give some tipps too.
Like to master this tank, but it seems I can´t.

Any comments appreciated.
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread