Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Not sure what a kayfun build deck is like, because ive never used one. Building on the doggystyle is MUCH easier than the Ares.

The Doggy style is exactly what I attempted to build on. There's no way that Ni80 wire is getting trapped under those screws to stay. Fought with it to the point I wanted to throw the tank against the wall. lol. Ah well.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@stols001 I did it as a complete rookie, only used the ares for a little bit before finding this wire. I have high hopes, although this wire is WAY better at high(er) wattages than I usually see in this forum.

I've been rocking the ni80 superfine in the Doggystyle for 2 weeks now, same coil, same wick (it still looks BRAND new), @20w, and I have been in heaven.
I was all excited to try it until I saw @Chodi 's warning comment about TC. SK - have you tried it on TC, and if so, what mod? That's all I use now, so I'd really be interested if you've found it works. Especially since the Doggy is now my best friend!

No way I can go back to power mode now - I'm loving that there are no more priming puffs. And no high temp nasties being inhaled is bonus.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
The Doggy style is exactly what I attempted to build on. There's no way that Ni80 wire is getting trapped under those screws to stay. Fought with it to the point I wanted to throw the tank against the wall. lol. Ah well.

Hmm. I have the wire in the doggy no problems at all. I wrapped the screw a little to the opposite side that the wire came from, and it trapped rather easily. A lot easier than the Ares, IMO. I can take a pic when I am home if that will help.

@Brewdawg1181 I used the SS version of the wire briefly in my Wismec FJ200 in TC. It was identical to vaping it in power mode, IMO. I like the doggy on the aspire zelos, and since I didn't notice a difference in the vape, I just stuck with power mode @20w.

Also, I haven't used the SS since trying the ni80. Its been pretty damn good.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hmm. I have the wire in the doggy no problems at all. I wrapped the screw a little to the opposite side that the wire came from, and it trapped rather easily. A lot easier than the Ares, IMO. I can take a pic when I am home if that will help.

@Brewdawg1181 I used the SS version of the wire briefly in my Wismec FJ200 in TC. It was identical to vaping it in power mode, IMO. I like the doggy on the aspire zelos, and since I didn't notice a difference in the vape, I just stuck with power mode @20w.

Also, I haven't used the SS since trying the ni80. Its been pretty damn good.
Thanks, that's good to know on a couple of counts. I use the Wismec P80, so I'm assuming if the FJ handled it in TC, so can mine. My Zelos- it's pretty useless in TC. Seems to use high wattage no matter what I set it at to get to 400F, so I only use it as a backup in power mode.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Yep. Same stuff...found the answer.

Anyway, dug out the coils and....impossible to work with. Even reround in the opposite direction so the screws on my tank could capture better. Nope. I'm sure the work well with the ares due to the design, but with any tank that's like a Kayfun, they are impossible. :)

Glad I tried these before springing for the wire. Not for me.

What about the Kayfun made that impossible? Is that a Kayfun V5, Prime,?? If I am using a large wire hard to trap in any of my Kayfuns I remove the screws and set the wire in place then insert the screws. I have to do that to use any complex wire. Not something I would normally do in a Kayfun. I usually just use simple ss round wire builds for that.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I'm specifically talking about my KayFun Lite Plus, V3 mini, and V3 Plus, which have small screws to trap the wire. I'll have to dig out my Berserker box and find that Super Fine wire coil and give it a try on my KayFun, just to see if I can get it trapped. Thanks for the info sk and Shane.

BTW, I have been using 28g Kanthal single wire in all my KayFun's to date, but need to try some Twisted 30g Kanthal just to see how hard that would be to trap. I think it should work out OK, but need to do it for real.

Last edited:

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
What about the Kayfun made that impossible?

I should have been more clear: I meant a Kayfun "style" deck, which the Doggy Style is.

Anyway, I put the wire in the Ares as that deck style makes it easy. Added a wrap so it ohmed out at about 0.8. No difference in flavour that I could detect (Ares with simple kanthal VS Ares with the Vandy Vape wire), just warmer.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I should have been more clear: I meant a Kayfun "style" deck, which the Doggy Style is.

Anyway, I put the wire in the Ares as that deck style makes it easy. Added a wrap so it ohmed out at about 0.8. No difference in flavour that I could detect (Ares with simple kanthal VS Ares with the Vandy Vape wire), just warmer.

Glad you were able to test it out in the Ares, and didn’t blindly order the wire.

Funny how each of us are so different with flavors, wire, and our tastes. When I use kanthal, my juice tastes completely different, even at similar wattage!

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Funny how each of us are so different with flavors, wire, and our tastes. When I use kanthal, my juice tastes completely different, even at similar wattage!

True. I don't say it often, as most would disagree and it doesn't matter, but I don't really "chase" flavour. Once I have a tank, I've found that there are very few, if any, things I can do to improve the flavour from it.

I think of it this way: It's cotton, a wire, some liquid, and a tank. Small changes in how any one of those are set up just aren't going to make a difference. But, I try from time-to-time anyway...'cause why not. ;)

As I said, it doesn't matter: If someone's brain tells them it works, then it works. End of story.

Rambling....signing off....lol

Winci

Mar 14, 2018
Lietuva
Ares :thumbs:

Attachments

• 2018-02-14-1042 (2).jpg
    2018-02-14-1042 (2).jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 82

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
True. I don't say it often, as most would disagree and it doesn't matter, but I don't really "chase" flavour. Once I have a tank, I've found that there are very few, if any, things I can do to improve the flavour from it.

I think of it this way: It's cotton, a wire, some liquid, and a tank. Small changes in how any one of those are set up just aren't going to make a difference. But, I try from time-to-time anyway...'cause why not. ;)

As I said, it doesn't matter: If someone's brain tells them it works, then it works. End of story.

Rambling....signing off....lol
When I buy a tank, I will try all different types of wire,wraps, diameters and wick material until I find the best flavor. I have not had a tank that I could not make it give me the best flavor. Size, Shape and material matter. It all makes the flavor different.

Years ago I always went with the large diameter coils in my tanks. One day another member in the ecf told me to try a smaller diameter coil with a particular tank and it made the flavor better than it was. Some tanks just work with large or small diameter coils. Same with the wick material.

Different wattage also makes the flavor change.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
When I buy a tank, I will try all different types of wire,wraps, diameters and wick material until I find the best flavor. I have not had a tank that I could not make it give me the best flavor. Size, Shape and material matter. It all makes the flavor different.

Years ago I always went with the large diameter coils in my tanks. One day another member in the ecf told me to try a smaller diameter coil with a particular tank and it made the flavor better than it was. Some tanks just work with large or small diameter coils. Same with the wick material.

Different wattage also makes the flavor change.

That's what I was saying. For me, personally, most of those things simply don't make a difference. There's a lot of subjectivity, bias, and brain trickery when it comes to flavour.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Add to the fact that not everyone can taste subtle changes in flavour. The first almost 3 years after I quit smoking and started vaping, whenever I read a post where someone talked about the different flavour notes, it always cracked me up, I wondered if someone was pulling a prank in trying to get others to believe that their sense of taste was all that refined, ya know. I could taste the basic flavor, but not much else (just one step better than the "That tastes like crap, or that tastes Good" level). Even now I can only taste Rank, Not so Rank, Good, Better, Best, Bestest, and that's about as far as I have come in 3+ years. I would make a horrible Wine taster, that's for sure. My wife says that sometimes I'm Brain Dead, maybe that's it.

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Add to the fact that not everyone can taste subtle changes in flavour. The first almost 3 years after I quit smoking and started vaping, whenever I read a post where someone talked about the different flavour notes, it always cracked me up, I wondered if someone was pulling a prank in trying to get others to believe that their sense of taste was all that refined, ya know. I could taste the basic flavor, but not much else (just one step better than the "That tastes like crap, or that tastes Good" level). Even now I can only taste Rank, Not so Rank, Good, Better, Best, Bestest, and that's about as far as I have come in 3+ years. I would make a horrible Wine taster, that's for sure. My wife says that sometimes I'm Brain Dead, maybe that's it.
Can you taste a difference in spring water or milk?

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Today I picked up my Ares for a vape and it started whistling through the airflow? Did not do this before it was rather quiet. I have not changed anything. Have two air holes open went and changed that down to one and it stopped? Haven't got a clue how this could have changed unless something loosened up? Obviously there is an air leak somewhere and I fear it may be the airflow control ring itself in which case I am screwed. I think that is press fit and not removable. Single hole open works but the draw is pretty tight for me. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread