Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
@52anddone for sure a flavor bump over a regular single kanthal.

Using the 28g twisted was very noticeable over a 26g round wire at around 1ohm.

I’m just playing with the 30g twisted now, put it in 2 tanks and an rda. It is more difficult to put in than a single wire, although it’s not incredibly hard by an means.

I had a little trouble keeping the coil tight around the jig without having it be TOO tight when it got clamped down.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Back when I did my test, 28g Kanthal single wire vs 30g Kanthal dual twisted, I noticed a definate noticeable Flavor Increase with the 30g twisted. That was using 'UD' Twisted 30g Kanthal.

Yes, you have to have your wick very snug within the whole length of the coil to negate any popping, very snug but not tight.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Rewicked just now, put in way more than I thought possible and the pop went away. It “felt” too tight, but there’s no popping at all, not dry hits.

I only ever have a pop with the twisted wire, or spaced coils. Guess I need more through the center than I thought!

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Yep. If I feel a definite "Drag" when I "see-saw" the wick back and forth in the coil then I know I am there as far as having enough wicking in. Also, the wick shoulders should bunch up a bit when "see-sawing" the wick back and forth in the coil, this is with KGD (that's mostly what I use). Using a very snugly fitting wick also negates leaking and flooding for the most part, even with a coil as small as a 2mm ID in most RTA's, but in my Siren V1 I still have to use a 3.5 mm ID coil at the minimum to keep from seeping.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I must admit, I converted to the doggystyle a while back. I’m sure that the tank just CANNOT leak. The simplicity of it rocks!

Each Ares I had (4 at one point) was inconsistent at best. A different vape experience even with the same coil, wicking, juice, etc.

jorisd1980

Oct 1, 2017
I just tried to make a twisted coil with 30GA, ID2, 8 wraps. It came out at 1.6ohms, unlike the result I was expecting, which was around 1 ohm... I’m vaping it at 12 Watts now, which seems to be a bit low due to the slow ramp up time. I must be doing something stupid here. ;)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I just tried to make a twisted coil with 30GA, ID2, 8 wraps. It came out at 1.6ohms, unlike the result I was expecting, which was around 1 ohm... I’m vaping it at 12 Watts now, which seems to be a bit low due to the slow ramp up time. I must be doing something stupid here. ;)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Not sure, my 2mm ID with 8 wraps came in at 1.33 and 1.35 ohms, 12w is perfect.

Maybe a pic? Not sure.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I retired my Ares today. I tried to like this tank but I just could not. I have many mtl tanks that are much better to my taste too many to list. I think the Ares is too airy to be mtl. I tried several different builds and the only thing it seemed to like were builds that were restricted direct lung not mtl. Even then I still have other tanks that do that better. So this one gets my thumbs down and is removed to my shelf of other mistakes. Even the simple Doggy Style blows the doors off my Ares. Maybe I got a bad one since as the poster above mentions he got 4 and they were all vaping different. This might be a decent tank for beginners with all the extras and instructions it comes with but I think it is not fair to class this as a mtl tank. Just my humble opinion.

P.S. I also have the Siren V2 which is a very similar tank and all around much better. The Siren actually can do mtl and very restricted DL well. The Siren V2 I think is the better tank of the two.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's funny, I find the reverse true. I prefer my Siren V2s over the Ares, but to me, they really only shine with the airflow wide open. The Ares can be restricted more easily, IMO. I usually use the single hole opposite all the other options. And oddly, (even with similar builds) I find the Ares shines at a higher wattage than the Siren, even with less airflow, and for me bumping the wattage higher than most of my other tanks worked for flavor + restriction, without getting anything "burnt" either. I like both tanks, but I run them kind of oppositely.

Why this is, I have no clue. I've learned that sometimes, I just have to experiment with a lot of variables. Etc. I maintain (and continue to maintain) that the gun metal Siren has a different "taste" than the black metal, and how that should come about, well I remain clueless. It's fine though, I have found that the state of, "I'm clueless, but it works," isn't such a terrible thing.

I agree with your choice of the Siren as preferable it's mine, too. Although I also enjoy my Ares, but it took me a while and some experimentation to "get it." Maybe if you bring it out into rotation another time, your experience may be different, IDK. I really like both tanks and I'm sorry you aren't liking yours. I know some folks have removed the diffuser to get a tighter draw, too unless I'm misremembering and it was the Siren folks were doing that to. Sorry, I'm having a bit of a wretched morning and I don't think my brain wants to work right..

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: 52anddone

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
My Ares is perfect for MTL. The air closes almost 100% on mine.
Yes they had something of a manufacturing problem with these. I can close off my airflow and still get air to draw through. Seems it is the luck of the draw with these. That would explain why it works for some and not others.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Yes they had something of a manufacturing problem with these. I can close off my airflow and still get air to draw through. Seems it is the luck of the draw with these. That would explain why it works for some and not others.
That sucks... They should replace yours for that being defective. You should try getting it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread