Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

at0m

May 1, 2018
Are the threads stripped on the screw or the 510 hole?
I already tried the 510 screw from a different tank with the same results. I don't know how to explain it but if the threads in the hole were stripped I should still feel some resistance. It's like whatever the screw is supposed to screw into is just gone or has been shoved up into the base. Since I can't disassemble the base I don't know how else to check.

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Thanks for taking the trouble. I really appreciate it.
I can clearly see brass threads inside the 510 hole. They are easy to strip and might be your issue. Can you see the threads? You will need a light and maybe a magnifying glass. Maybe try taking a pic and zoom in on it???

How long have you owned the Ares?

at0m

May 1, 2018
I can clearly see brass threads inside the 510 hole. They are easy to strip and might be your issue. Can you see the threads? You will need a light and maybe a magnifying glass. Maybe try taking a pic and zoom in on it???

How long have you owned the Ares?
You're right I definitely see brass threads in the hole so they must be stripped. I got it about 2 weeks ago and other than tightening the screw when I first got the tank, and taking it apart to wash it I don't see how that could have happened. I only took the screw out because I figured the base had to come apart more but when I put it back in I got no resistance at all. I've stripped enough threads over the years that I know what it feels like. I'm gonna see about getting it replaced because I don't think this is operator error. Anyway I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
You're right I definitely see brass threads in the hole so they must be stripped. I got it about 2 weeks ago and other than tightening the screw when I first got the tank, and taking it apart to wash it I don't see how that could have happened. I only took the screw out because I figured the base had to come apart more but when I put it back in I got no resistance at all. I've stripped enough threads over the years that I know what it feels like. I'm gonna see about getting it replaced because I don't think this is operator error. Anyway I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Try getting it replaced. Hopefully they'll help you out.

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
Been busy trying to read this whole thread, got to page 35 and decided to rebuild my ares... as I wasn't getting the love or flavour I was expecting..... so glad I did, put in a 2mm Id coil at 1.6 ohm.... omg I'm now in heaven!! Lol thanks for this thread all you peeps!

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Does the Ares require any special tricks while vicking to avoid leakage?

They are hit or miss, my 1st leaked from the top fill, innokin replaced it for me, and that one leaked from the base, so then I gave up on them, but heard some say their’s never leak, so think just luck of the draw with them IMO.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    It's a velocity deck so just make sure the coil is raised up a bit, and fairly tight in the coil, the tails can be thinned quite a bit. I don't drop my tails all the way to the bottom of the tank, with eliquid sloshing around 3 mm or so is more than enough (for me). Full disclosure I use rayon and pretty much everything has been easy for me to wick. The tails should be thin enough and correctly placed in the channels so it's easy to put the rest of the tank on the deck.

I have not had a single leak, anywhere, with either of my Ares. Guess I got lucky.

Anna

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Just got an Ares and am vaping it. I guess I should read the whole thread and I probably will in the next few days, but right now I just have one question :)

I tried to get the glass off the upper O-ring but it's so tight I'm worried about breaking it. I used rubber bands on the parts to maximize grip to no avail. Left it alone for now, but I think if I can separate these parts and lubricate them with juice I'll be ahead of the game later on. Or maybe they will get looser as juice seeps into the joint .. any advice is appreciated :thumbs:

alistairs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 3, 2014
    Castro Valley, CA, USA
    I tried to get the glass off the upper O-ring but it's so tight I'm worried about breaking it. I used rubber bands on the parts to maximize grip to no avail. Left it alone for now, but I think if I can separate these parts and lubricate them with juice I'll be ahead of the game later on. Or maybe they will get looser as juice seeps into the joint .. any advice is appreciated :thumbs:

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I've just been using it anyway, and it hasn't loosened up in several weeks. The only other thing I've thought to try is sticking it in the freezer, but haven't got around to trying that yet.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Just got an Ares and am vaping it. I guess I should read the whole thread and I probably will in the next few days, but right now I just have one question :)

It won't twist off, but side to side pressure will loosen it. Unscrew the build deck and remove it. Then, put your finger in the chimney and use your thumb to press the glass toward the chimney. Do that back and forth from both sides until the glass starts to move. Wiggle the glass and pull and it will come off. The o-ring must have been dry when it was assembled. Mine was like that, too.

It's a stepped o-ring where the glass tank slides onto the outside of the ring instead of just pressing against the bottom edge. I think that's the reason it won't pull straight off easily.

This video shows how to remove the glass at the 7:00 mark.

Last edited:

lanzenesi

Jan 24, 2016
    Savona, Italy
    Well, Mike seems to be at ease in taking his glass out, but my experience shows different. As I had already a silver Ares, I wanted to go for the black look on the second one but it felt badly stuck.

With a lot of patience and time, I nearly made.it, bit it broke on what seemed the very last pull; too bad. Now I have my dark Ares, but one spare glass less. Unfortunately, spares don't seem so easy to find.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll try the finger inside the chimney trick gently next time I open it up to mess with the coil. If it's too tight I'll just leave it there until I break the glass.

I put in a bigger coil earlier today, 6 wraps of 27 gauge on 3 mm instead of 4 wraps, and that has improved the flavor. It's a nice vape now and will probably get better with a little more experimentation. So far so good :)

Boyer357

Jun 16, 2018
    HI Everyone, need help! been vaping 7 years using primary the ego one's, mega v2. Purchased Evic primo and Ares in Feb. And have used everday but I can't get Ares to match anything close In flavor coil/wick longevity of ego one, have to change cotton everyday, coils every 3 days juice gets so dark. Vape at 8-13 watts Making all coils around 1ohm Using 28g kanthal, tried spaced coils, different diameters. Just went back to old ego v2, using 1ohm and I get several weeks out of prebuild coil, taste better, no dark juice. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for your questions and suggestions..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread