Status
Not open for further replies.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
I don't have a lot to add except this: I bought two of them, one silver and one black. I used the stock coil and supplied cotton in the silver one for a couple of days and probably ran less than 10mls through it. Flavor was nowhere near as good as the Eggrolls and CLR coils. Plus I had to run it at a lot higher wattage than I thought would be necessary. This morning after not being more than a couple of feet from my desk, it's leaking out of the air holes. Washed, back on the shelf, I'll try again one of these days when I have time. The black one's glass was nasty and not real easy to clean. The rest of the parts seemed OK.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
So here's the dealio. I have always believed that ALL Chinese manufacturers live and work in one huge room in an enormous factory. They DO have room dividers between the various companies, but those room dividers are made of a sheer and transparent fabric.

Yep, it's all just one big room.

She's not kidding, just FYI. She's believed this (kinda, sorta) since the moment I met her.

The scary thing is that she may be correct (or close to it).

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

Figs

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2017
Granbury - Texas - USA
UPDATE: I said before that I used one of the coils that came with the Ares because that was what I made anyway. I started thinking about that, got the box out to check the remaining coil, and the ones that come with it are 3m ID. I usually build 2.5’s. So I spun up a quick 2.5, wicked it and gave it a go.

Better. More the way I like it. Smooth and creamy vape, actually a bit smoother than the Berserker. Good flavor, and gentle but firm TH. A little different than the Berserker, but I actually like it just as much. I’m happy now, and the Ares is for sure a keeper.

I still give the Berserker an edge as I find it easier to build on. I seem to have a harder time capturing the tails on the Ares for some reason. No big deal, and something I’m sure I’ll get better at. IMHO you can’t go wrong with ether the Ares or the Berserker.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
She's not kidding, just FYI. She's believed this (kinda, sorta) since the moment I met her.

The scary thing is that she may be correct (or close to it).

She's correct. She always is. ;)

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
What are Eggrolls?

Thanks DP for giving DragonRon the link.

Great tanks. Cheap price. And nine bucks for five coils, which last a long time. You cannot go wrong. And the dealer DP indicated is super fast on shipping. Wonderful deal all the way around.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
So, I rebuilt last evening using my standard build (sorta): 3mm ID (instead of 2.0 or 2.5) 1.5 ohm kanthal, and put the smallest bore drip tip I own on it. The experience with the airflow certainly improved as did coil performance. The included coils aren't to my taste, that's for sure.

If you're trying to get a tighter draw on this tank, absolutely go for a smaller bore on your tip. That's the only option, in my opinion. Simply trying to "cheat" by close a hole off further makes for a turbulent, loud, and uncomfortable draw.

It's usable now, but still lacking significantly in draw quality and flavour. I'll keep playing, though....

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
As I wrote I was not happy with the flavor and TH I got from the included (very) spaced 3mm ID Kanthal coil, so I replaced this with my standard MTL coil: 2,5 mm ID, SS 316 CONTACT coil, 9 wraps wicked with KGD cotton and now I got a FLAVOR monster! What a difference!

At first I wanted to take only 5-6 wraps but it´s not very easy to insert smaller coils because of the given distance of the posts, a clear disadvantage of the easy wire fixing mechanism...

Anyone missing flavor may give that a try!

K.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Hey Kusie, hows things going. I have seen posted several times of people that didn't like the included 3mm spaced coil, and said that the flavor was Flat. So they wrapped their own coil that was 2.5mm or even 2mm but stayed with the spaced version, and reported back that they noticed a jump up in flavor. I am guessing that 3mm messes up the flavor for some reason, I can't think of why it would do that, but it seems that it does, so your not alone. I'm glad that your having some success with yours.

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
Hey 52,
the coil looked fine, but I think it´s just too spaced for it´s size or maybe too thin or a combination of both. It´s a 28GA wire IIRC, and maybe a 26GA wire would have made a difference. My guess is that the wide gaps between the wraps together with the thin wire may produce not enough heat on the juice to fully develop it´s flavor...

Well anyway I´m happy now - great, but not perfect tank! I find all the latest fuzz and "b i t c h fighting" of the YT reviewers quite amusing and to be honest a bit immature. Luckly the only oppinion that really matters to me is mine ;) and all of your first hand experiences of course. I can´t stand most of the YT videos with those guys acting like big "hot shots" and the first thing most of them do is blow a massive cloud of vape at the viewer to show off how cool they are ... LOL, that really puts me off.

K.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Hey 52,
the coil looked fine, but I think it´s just too spaced for it´s size or maybe too thin or a combination of both. It´s a 28GA wire IIRC, and maybe a 26GA wire would have made a difference. My guess is that the wide gaps between the wraps together with the thin wire may produce not enough heat on the juice to fully develop it´s flavor...

Well anyway I´m happy now - great, but not perfect tank! I find all the latest fuzz and "b i t c h fighting" of the YT reviewers quite amusing and to be honest a bit immature. Luckly the only oppinion that really matters to me is mine ;) and all of your first hand experiences of course. I can´t stand most of the YT videos with those guys acting like big "hot shots" and the first thing most of them do is blow a massive cloud of vape at the viewer to show off how cool they are ... LOL, that really puts me off.

K.

I totally agree, as long as your Happy with your vape, not much else matters.

Yes, I agree with your 2nd paragraph 100%. I thought that making YouTube reviews was to be able to help other vapers with their equipment, and teach them about newer equipment that will be coming out soon to online shops and B&M's, but, too many "so called" reviewers are in it just to impress others and be on camera for their "15 minutes of Fame". Haha, that really gets me too with the Cloudz. The first thing we see is a Massive Cloud Bro, then have to wait 30 seconds for the screen to clear and for them to start talking, then they blow another Massive Cloud Bro when they go to the "Down Low Shot" for a build, then a few more Cloudz to end the video. These are Big ol' Honkin' Cloudz too. I bet they go thru 10ml of juice just to impress all us Noobs out in YouTube land that have never seen anything quite so wonderful in all our lives. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: When I grow up I want to be just like them. ;)

DragonRon

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Bossier City, LA
I have been mostly happy with my Ares. But it is now starting to leak out the air holes. I am using the premade coil and 50/50 juice and on the second and third Air hole. Wicks just barely touching the base. And I get some seeping between the air adjuster and the top metal piece before the glass tube. Any ideas? Could it be condensation in the air adjuster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread