Arry's ACTv4: First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keefer2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2011
DALLAS
I think I'll be getting mine tomorrow. Hope!

I'll let you know how it sits atop my ProVari. I thoroughly expect greatness, however. The Arry V3 has given me zero trouble (wish I bought 2, as I use it every day, I have alot of tanks, and it is hands down the best one).

I am sure others will begin to chime in beginning tomorrow as well and we can get a better feel.

Nic Sir, I am not downplaying what has been going on with you. I am sure it has been utterly frustrating, and I want to commend you on your level of reasonable thinking and being objective and polite. You are a good guy.

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Thanks Keefer. I do suspect folks with REAL 510 connectors on their mods will be in a lot better shape.

I do hope all goes well on your Provari. Please let us know - especially how the threads going into the 510 connector fits.

OK time to measure threads on bottom of the 510 shorty's

@Horton:
I bet McMaster Carr has them. McMaster-Carr

I've gotten a lot of stuff for projects from them, like threaded rod to make my own screws etc. Incredible selection and good prices and shipping rates.

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Measurements of the battery-side threads on the 510 shorty extenders included with my 2 tanks:

1) 6.8072mm (.2680")

2) 6.7945mm (.2675")

Note 1: The .2675" on the 2nd is estimated, it was roughly halfway between .267" and .268" each time I measured.
Note 2: My stainless dial caliper measures in inches. I used a web convertor to convert the measurements to millimeters.

Method of Measurement:
The "thick" section of the main jaws on my stainless steel dial caliper were closed down over the entire threads, with minor "wiggling" of the adapter done while applying enough pressure on the slide wheel to cause the calipers to close as tightly as they were going to close, then noting measurement on dial. This may sound a little weird to anyone that hasn't used a dial caliper before, but people who have used them much and are interested in the most accurate measurement will know what I'm talking about. Measurement repeated once for each shorty, with same results.

The thick part of the jaws are thick enough to cover the entire length of the threads.

Possible pitfall measuring this way is that whatever the largest diameter section of thread across the entire area covered by the jaws (ie, entire threads) will cause this to be the measurement read by the caliper, as they cannot close down further.

FWIW, at the "tip" of the threads, which enter the 510 threads on the battery first, both specimens measure 6.731mm (.2650"). I could measure this by clamping the same section of the main jaws on my caliper over the threads just at the end of the connectors. Slightly smaller (.003").

Nic-holio

Last edited:

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Also, while I'm thinking about it, I need to take the time to thank mobius from Vapers Forum, also known as tehmobius on Ebay, for sending me a few of the 510-510 sealed connectors he had left over from his last stock of them to try out. He had a few that weren't quite up to his standards but for what I need them for he's pretty sure they'd be fine and offered to send them to me to see if they would help.

I'm pretty darn impressed by the design and simplicity of these sealed 510-510 connectors, the entire thing comes apart and if you need to, you can grind the center pin tip down and just put it back together. Also note the insulator....

Mobius, thanks a LOT for doing this for me. If these are anything like I think they are I will be buying some when you get more!

Nic-Holio

arry

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2010
UK
Hi the adapter is fine as the measurements are better than that of a Cartomiser . But I do under stand the problem you are having as I tried it on several devices also got someone to do it on an ego both ways as below. THE SOLUTION is to fit the adapter to the device 1st on its own, screw all the way on, the center pin will adjust itself as its not fixed its floating , then put carto into tank then affix tank to the 510 adapter already fitted on the device/ego/battery etc.. it seems some devices prefer it to be fitted this way ,I will also be amending the instructions and upload a new video . Thanks for highlighting this too me , as i can now amend Regards A

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
@horton:
Sorry I forgot to mention this in my last posts yesterday - that link you posted was the one I found for taps and dies. The threading specs shown there for 510 would probably help in determining what the minor and major diameters are supposed to be for 510 threads.

@everyone
I'm probably going to lay off doing much more posting on this topic for now, other than reporting what results I have with other 510 shortys once I get my new Joyetech 18650 switch in. Other folks will probably be getting their ACTv4's in starting sometime today, so I'm going to "step aside" basically and let somebody else talk here or start their own threads or whatever.

There are a couple of things I've found having this tank a few days. I've been continuing to use it on one of my SmokTech 900 mAh eGo's by only tightening it down onto the battery as far as is required to make contact and work, and being "really really gentle" handling it.

1. Not being able to see the liquid in the tank without opening it up is something you are either going to hate or just have to get used to - including figuring out your usage rate and when you need to plan to "proactively refill" so you don't vape your carto dry.

2. REFILLING
Refilling is possible and easier by removing the top cap -- but every time you remove the top cap and screw it back down, you stand the possibility of forcing liquid to flood into the carto through the punch hole, and some liquid may "leak" through the center air passage hole in the bottom of the carto. You really need to be careful to screw the top lid back on slowly. This will probably depend somewhat on the size of the hole(s) you punch and also how deep you punch them (don't punch too deep, "stop when it pops").

You may NEED to fill the tank up this way (from the top) the first time you use a new carto, but if you notice you get juice runout through the bottom of the carto (where the 510 shorty screws onto the carto), understand this is probably going to happen to some degree each time you take that top lid off for this carto. Don't be in a hurry to screw the lid back down, but you may still lose some liquid to initial leakage until that center passage is no longer flooded.

I don't know for sure yet whether this means the carto was punched wrong or not, but I knew not to punch so deep that it pierces into the center air passage.

The other method of filling shown in Arry's youtube video also works. Popping the carto out/up 3/4" or so from the bottom and filling trhough the bottom hole. The good thing about doing it this way is you don't have to worry about leaking juice out the bottom of your carto from pressurizing the tank with the top cap when you're done. However this is another moment when not having side walls you can see through is something you'll have to get used to. You'll want to have good overhead light so you can see the liquid level through the hole in the bottom (there is a carto in the way too...), and filling with either a syringe or a needle tip style bottle would be a really good idea. A typical dropper type tip works but isn't very precise, whereas with a needle tip bottle or blunt tip syringe, you can stick the tip in past the carto base and easily dispense the liquid right where it needs to go.

3. Popping the carto in and out of that hole in the bottom does get a little easier over time. I'm curious what will happen when I put my next new carto in. :)

So enjoy, folks. I know a lot of other folks will be getting theirs starting today. I wish everyone the best with theirs. If you wouldn't mind, please report how the male/battery-side threads fit into your mod/battery and what type of battery/mod you have.

cheers,
Nic-holio

Last edited:

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Hi the adapter is fine as the measurements are better than that of a Cartomiser . But I do under stand the problem you are having as I tried it on several devices also got someone to do it on an ego both ways as below.

THE SOLUTION is to fit the adapter to the device 1st on its own, screw all the way on, the center pin will adjust itself as its not fixed its floating , then put carto into tank then affix tank to the 510 adapter already fitted on the device/ego/battery etc.. it seems some devices prefer it to be fitted this way ,I will also be amending the instructions and upload a new video . Thanks for highlighting this too me , as i can now amend Regards A

Thanks Arry. I have confidence in this method too, as long as the threads engage well. I'm sure the other eGo users (and I know I'm not the only one of them!) will appreciate it. Do you have the youtube link already?

The threads on these 510 shortys don't seem to "do it" for me , notwithstanding what they measure, while everything else does thread down snugly in my eGo's, but I will probably have better luck with a new switch and different 510 shortys. I could believe it's just my eGo batts. I'm less impressed with the JoyeTech 18650 eGo mod switch now than I was when I first got it, seeing how the center pin is implemented.

Maybe I can get rich and quit my day job fixing them. :) (just kidding)

VAPE ON

Last edited:

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
Also, quick update on the 510 shorty status:

On my SmokTech 900mAh eGo batts, the included 510 shorty adapters work a LOT better if you use "the Don method" Arry described. ie, screw the extender all the way down into the battery first. Then screw the tank assembly onto the extender until it makes good contact.

I have a solid connection with it, with almost no wobble.

So with a new JoyeTech switch, I'll probably have better luck. I'm still going to try the other extenders I have coming. I'll have the $7 one from MadVapes this afternoon.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Nic -- I did find some @ McMaster-Carr. Nice company to deal with. Glad they don't have minimums, cause I don't want to buy 100' of tubing or 1000 thumbscrews!!!!
Also figured that thread I mentioned was the one you had found. I was thinking you couldn't find your bookmark for some reason....duh... I'll have to read little more closely in the future.....lol.
Glad you are getting your situation resolved with the tanks...... horton - out

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
@joe944:
w00t!!! Congrats! Also very glad to hear about the good fit on the Provari!

@keefer:
hang in there! It'll be there soon! And worth the wait.

@horton:
Thanks - I won't have another Joye 18650 eGo mod switch to work with for probably 2-3 more days, but I feel pretty good about the chances of it working well as long as I start out this time by putting the 510 shorty into the eGo FIRST.

I really do like McMaster Carr - they have a great bunch of stuff there. And yeah -- I usually have those smaller kind of orders too. :)

I did get the $7 "modder's" connector (the one that comes with a nut) and the cheaper sealed connectors from MV today. The $7 one does have good threads on both sides, and unlike the included shorty, even if you put it onto the carto first, the center pin is STILL recessed at least 1mm on the battery side! It also works putting it into the eGo first. So aside from needing to seal it yourself (fill the hole with epoxy or something), this shorty seems like it would be a good one to use on troublesome eGo connectors if you have trouble with the included one. I have some more from other places I'm waiting for.

The $2 sealed v2 510 shorty from MV doesn't really work even on the SmokTech 900 mAh. The center pin sticks OUT on battery side and really has no give to it, so you can't really turn it down all the way into the 510 threads (all the way = no gap between connector bases). The threads are wobbly also. It would probably be decent on a real 510 connector though (what I bought it for).

Have fun with your tanks everyone! Glad folks are starting to get theirs in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread