Arry's ACTv4: First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
I'm probably going to try not priming/pre-filling the next carto and see if putting the cap on after the tank fill does the priming for me. Or at least most of it. I can also drip some into the top if need be.

ARRY: Thank you for your help and advice. This is where being experienced with modding etc. Helps... I didn't even think about taking advantage of the "floating" center pin in the shorty til you suggested it. But it made perfect sense to try putting it in the eGo first. The light bulb lit up as soon as I read your suggestion.

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
I've only used a DCC carto so far with the tank, which is taller than the height of the tank. In this configuration you wouldn't really be able to leave the plug in the top of the carto unless you weren't going to put a drip tip on it.

I think the carto still comes up to or just slightly above the top of the cap with a Boge "regular" carto but I haven't tried to fit one of those yet (my Boge 3 Ohm cartos are reserved til I get my Provaris). Scott's review video uses one though, pretty sure. (there's a link to it in Arry's youtube channel, posted about a page back).

All the videos I've seen for the ACTv4 from Arry and Scott leave the plug out and drip tip goes straight into the carto.

The ACTv3 was a little different, on that one it was designed to fit a Boge and leave space in the hole so you could leave the plug in the top of the carto and stick a drip tip into the cap on top of it.

One advantage I saw to that was that it would greatly reduce the chance of any liquid "splashing up" into your mouth. I've had that happen a couple times using the "series of quick sharp draws without pushing the button" method to draw more liquid into the carto when it was getting a little dry. I'm using a drip tip that is really wide open in the middle (Super T widemouth 510 contoured T-tip stainless).

(off topic, a little Beavis humor) - I've seen at least once tutorial or youtube video referring to that little rubber plug as the "bung".

"BUNG hole..." (in my best ASCII imitation Beavis voice)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Joe944

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
ca
I'm very happy with this tank so far. So glad I decided to check the mail box one last time before leaving for work - as I was pulling out of the drive way.

Used it all day and went through about 6ml with zero issues. Re-filling is extremely simple and requires a lot less effort than with other carto tanks I've used.

How is the carto bottom hole fit for everyone? Mine went right in without a struggle. I washed the device with soap and lubed up the o-rings with juice before putting it together.

Are there any 510-510 connections that are shorter in length? It would look even better if it fit closer to flush with the drip well on the provari.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I received mine yesterday... :) Had it up and running in a few minutes with no issues. It's a carto tank built like a "tank" , and vapes great. :vapor:

Here it is on a Touchwood 18650, and my SS Don: :2cool:

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
How is the carto bottom hole fit for everyone? Mine went right in without a struggle. I washed the device with soap and lubed up the o-rings with juice before putting it together.

It was a little tight getting a smoktech 1.25 ohm DCC to pop through on the first one I put a carto in. I had to push pretty hard. Could have been the carto though, not sure. However it got better pretty quick, I've refilled mine through the bottom since the first refill. It has gotten easier to pop the carto back down into position with each refill. It could be the leading edge of the carto threads "shaping to fit better" :) Will know better whenever this first carto is toast. It's been doing well since Saturday.

The tolerances are tight but I think thats a good thing.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Technonut that last pic - is that a "Don"? Not super familiar with a lot of the other mods (I've only been fussing over a Provari haha) - but it almost looks like it was made to look good on that one! :)

Thanks! :) Yes, it's a Limited Edition stainless steel Megalodon. THE MEGALODON

Here is a pic in "shorty" mode using an AW IMR 18350: (Vapage VModXL 18650 for comparison)

IMG_1223.jpg

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
So good news on the Joyetech 18650 eGo mod front... I got my replacement switch today. good thing, because I was really putting a hurting on my 900 mAh eGo's :)

Putting the 510 shorty into the eGo first, and tightening that down snug, and then attaching the tank/carto to the atomizer side of the shorty until it's snug (but not super tight), allows you to get the shorty all the way down, and it fires/works well. And doesn't unduly crush the center pin. It does push it down some of course (depending how tightly you tighten the tank/carto to the atomizer side of the shorty) but it's not shorting it out.

I did not have any luck with the sealed "510 modder's connectors" from Avid Vapers on any of my eGo batts. The center pin "floats", but it seems to be way too short to make ANY contact, regardless of which end you attach first. They even have pictures of using one on an eGo battery. Go figure.. but if there happens to be anyone else out there looking for 510 shorty's to work with eGo's, I'd say you should probably not waste your time/$ on these. Mine will be going back -- they weren't $2 each... Their non-sealed ones may work better, I didn't try 'em.

I still have some on the way from Mobius to try also.

ms421

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
OKC
Received my ACTv4's, today . . . First impressions are as follows: very well made . . . I have watched all of the reviews Arry has put up and the tank works exactly as described . . . the bad news is that one of the connectors I received will not work on my Provari . . . I can get the threads to start and then it stops after 2 turns . . . the wierd thing is the connector works fine on another mod I have, so not a total loss, just frustrating. Putting the unit together is a breeze and the initial "fill" is easy from the top . . . after that, however, filling from the bottom is a real pain for me . . . can't figure out how much juice to squeeze in . . . bottom line, I am spoiled from the simplicity of the ACTv3's . . . you can see the juice level and refilling is as easy as it could be . . . I, personally, wish the ACTv3's were still available . . . a lot less money and easier to use. That's my .02 . . . Mike

Jay Dee

Verified Member
Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park FL
Got both of mine today...

First impression? I'm going to OD myself on nicotine! Can't put the provari down while it has either tank on it! *chuckle*

Did learn something I did not know before. All Boge cartomizers are not the same. Not SR or LR wise. Apparently there is a bit of variation on the size?

First one I put in went in so nice that I immediately thought "uh-oh...too easy". But it worked like a champ!

Second one I could not fit the carto in at all! Fought and wrestled (lubricated with a BUNCH of juice). Got juice all over the place...LOL. Contemplating seeing if a friend I know at work could maybe take a hair off here and there, or conversing with Stormy and Arry to see what could be done...

Saw another carto I destroyed working out how to punch...('nuther story) Picked it up and tried it for the sheer heck of it and it popped right in like my first carto.

TL;DR note: If you are having excessive trouble getting a carto into the tank, try another! Apparently Arry's tolerances are just a wee bit tighter than Boge's! :)

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
I just got this reply from Arry in regards to the cartos not fitting.

If hole in carto too low or distorted carto tube too much , hence carto tube no longer round so wont go in , try a carto with no hole punched in it ,

Every tank I have sent has had a BOGE carto fitted in it .make sure o-ring and carto lubed it tends to get easier after a few inserts .

Hope this helps.
Stormy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread