The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

At what point did you realize "I could actually quit smoking"?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by nanovapr, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nanovapr

nanovapr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 15, 2011
    Catatonic State, USA
    I was an accidental quitter, tired of decades of wear and tear on myself. I am fortunate to have 'good health genes', but I was spending a lot of money and time slowly killing myself.

The $$$ I was spending was making me unhappy (especially when 80% or so is just a 'sin tax').
    The standing outdoors, smoking to feed my habit was unpleasant in any weather extremes.
    My vehicle, my clothes, my house, all smelled like cigarettes.

I thought I would try to save some money, and not freeze in the winter, so I got a 510 kit, grimaced at my first primer hit.

It took me about two months of learning how to operate it all, but at one point I was sitting inside, vaping, and I thought: I could really quit smoking. I/we had all quit several times for many reasons, for many days/weeks/months/years. The light came on, and I knew that I could never smoke again.

How about you?

2. xanderxman

xanderxman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Ptown, VA
    I knew I could quit as soon as I opened my first vapemail. I charged the battery and as soon as I took my first pull I decided to quit smoking. I have not touched a stinky since. Haven't even had the urge. I gave my leftover pack of smokes and an unopened pack to a friend at work,who used to smoke, the next day. I have since convinced him and two other people at work to vape and they love it and have not gone back to smoking.

3. cags

cags Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    east TN
    I just wanted to cut back from 2 1/2 pad to 1 pad. only because of the money

when I took my first hit off my first ecig (joye510) I thought.... omg. this is going to work! :)

within a week I was down to 15 cigs a day. now, a year and half later I am down to 2 cigs a day. I smoke those before bed because I'm old and I want to. but there are times I have none. :) I consider myself a complete success!

4. Swampey65

Swampey65 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Hello, my name is Swampey and I'm a vape-a-holic.

I have shared before but will share this again. The point I realized I could quit was the day I started vaping. I live about 45minutes North of Tampa & Totally Wicked has a Vape Lounge there that I was told about by one of the members here. I had spent a couple of weeks reading up on vaping - trying to understand some of the terminology & how it all worked etc. and decided I was gonna give it a try.

I called the store to see what time they opened and the girl who answered the phone asked me if I had ever used an e-cig before - I said no. She said "That's cool! Do me a favor & try not to smoke for at least 45 minutes before you come in". While I thought that was odd I said "Ok, I'll try" and I got in the car for the "Smoke-free" ride down. I arrived after about 40 minutes drive and spent about an hour talking & learning about their products and, about that time she said " I bet you're ready to go outside and smoke?" I told her I sure was and she said " Well, how about staying inside and vaping on this."

She handed me one of their Tornado batteries with a cone and cartridge on it filled with a Tobacco flavor and I took a few tokes and coughed and took a few more tokes and quit coughing and kept talking to her about vaping. In a few minutes she said "Are you still jonesing for a smoke?"

...no...NO! I"M NOT!

"Hot dayuum, hook me up!" I said, as I reached for my wallet. Now I understand why she didn't want me to smoke before I came in...veerrry sneaky I said to her..lol.

Admittedly, the first couple of days; I kept thinking I needed the "real" thing (cigarette - the mind plays EVIL tricks!) but I held off for the first three or four days and made it through, just vaping like crazy! About the 4th or 5th day, I snuck outside and tried a cigarette. I just had to know...was I just fooling myself w/ all this "vaping" stuff? I took a drag and blew it out.

YUCK! It tasted like someone backed a horse up to my mouth! That was what cinched it... Yeah, I don't need to smoke...I need to VAPE. Now, it feels like smoking is a distant memory.

That's a good...No, GREAT THING!

5. skurry

skurry Full Member Verified Member

Aug 29, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    When I realized there was something other than gas station e-cigs.

6. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    At what point did you realize "I could actually quit smoking"?

First vape... and did!

7. drsmith30

drsmith30 Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Humboldt
    As soon as my provari came in with tin box mint from tasty vapor

8. pan

pan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    mchenry, il
    I was a 1.5 to 2.0 PAD RYO smoker. I had intended to use my pv to cut back on tobacco..to cut the cost since loose tobacco had tripled in price instantly once the taxation caught up. (about 3 years ago?) As a former chain smoker, I would light one..and rather than chain smoking..would fill the rest of my "coffee time" with menthol e-liquid. I instantly went down to half a pack a day for about a week. By the end of the first week I realized I started using the pv to get the nasty ashtray flavor out of my mouth, and started putting out the cigarette half way through. For me, buying tobacco became a waste of money. I really didnt even enjoy it anymore...but still had a time giving up that last one every night. I think I just wanted it because telling myself I coulnt have it made me want it. Third week in ...passed up the tobacco because I did not HAVE to buy it...liberated from the ashtray....

9. stv4SC

stv4SC Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2012
    Pasadena CA
    Took me five days to ween off cigs. Found ECF searching Google. Best thing for me to quit and am now content with vaping. Now I/have to quit buying gear lol.

10. gthompson

gthompson Free at last Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 28, 2011
    Tennessee, USA
    About a month after i started vaping, I realized late one afternoon I hadn't had a cigarette all day. I still haven't. I wasn't even really trying to quit, and I never really thought I could quit until that moment.

11. apbtdog1

apbtdog1 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 20, 2012
    East TN
    For me it wasn't the first day, it wasn't the second day, it was about third evening. I had took a "puff" friends but never thought a whole lot about it. Talking with her 3 months later she informed me had still not smoked a cigarette. I thought i'll give it a go, let's try it. The first day i recieved my eCig in the mail smoked a few, the second day i thought i'd try to go all day with out smoking, i had one with my coffee. The third day i had one with my coffee but the rest of the day i did with out. Didn't smoke a "real" cigarette all day. The fourth day i didn't have coffee so i wouldn't want a real cigarette. I went that whole day and that evening with out smoking a real cigarette.........and THAT was when i said to myself "this can be done, I CAN do this!, I'm GONNA do this!" That's been 5 months ago. I couldn't imagine smoking a "real" cigarette now. Since then i've upgraded to a Provari.....or well two Proari's...and a Lava tube...and a couple twists....and uh... One of the things i think is really crazy is when i smoked "real" cigarettes i would(and every other smoker i've ever met)ONLY smoke my brand. There was times i've had to go to a different store because the store i had stopped at was out of my brand. With vaping i LOVE to try different flavors and i don't think i'd want to only use one flavor or brand of juice.

12. Saints

Saints Full Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2009
    New Orleans
    Threads like this are awesome and give hope to those that go back and forth about smoking. The first time I started to look at "ecigs" I found a local dealer. And it kind of felt like a "deal" (if you know what i mean)when I bought my first ecig even though there was nothing shady about the guy I bought it from. At the time it just felt weird getting this device that was all new and nothing like anything out there. I ended up quitting cigs right there for a good 8 months on a 401 to 510 to ego and started back when my fishing buddies started smoking again and I also got sick of the leaking, failing of attys, batts, etc..

I ended up getting some left over Chantix from a friend. He did quit smoking on it, but he had also quit cold turkey for a few years prior and said the Chantix made him feel crazy (see the fine print even on the commercial). I figured I had put enough crazy .... in my body (so did he) that I would take the chance and do the rest of his Chantix to quit smoking. Well it did reduce my cravings and I felt like i could quit, but I didnt have enough for a full supply and I like to drink a lot of beer and I also love smoking so I fell back into the trap. Chantix didnt have the same crazy affect on me, but I didnt want to pay the money or go to the doctor to get a scipt. So I was content on dieing a smoker. After all, my grandma and parents smoked for years and nothing happened to them:glare:...maybe I have good genes I thought:glare:...smokers make any excuse.

Well I am back to vaping trying to kick the habit and there have been some good advances on ecigs, so it seems. The thing that makes me want to quit the smoke again is I have a new baby. Well, 18 month old so not so new, but I hate the feeling of smelling like smoke when I pick him up, or walk in the door when he runs up to me. I dont want to be the stinky daddy...:confused:

My wife quit smoking when pregnant with our first son, but there was no such thing as vaping then. I was more conscious with our second, but I still didnt have the will to quit. So here I am trying again to not be the stinky guy in the room. I tell myself i have a handle on it now and vaping is nice after my break, but i know it could change at any moment of stress. I loved smoking
    and even after having a few beers I dont want to smoke and am vaping happily.

Heres to keeping the demons down and vaping on!!!:vapor:

13. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I smoked, on average, around 7 cigarettes per day.
    But I did that for over 27 years.

Truth is, I was never addicted to nicotine, and could go all day without smoking if I really wanted.
    But although I did do that sometimes, like a day at Disneyland, I really did not want to.

Basically I smoked for a number of reasons mostly having nothing to do with nicotine...
    --To take a break from work
    --To take a break or escape from any given social situation as needed
    --To get alone with my thoughts and solve complicated issues
    --To prepare myself for something I really didn't want to do

People used to always ask me why I couldn't do those things without a cigarette.
    But I needed something mindless to keep my hands occupied.

I tried many things, including a harmonica, a cup of tea, whatever I could think of, but nothing worked.
    In truth I think the breathing ritual, and watching the smoke were just as much a part of it.

Anyway, to make a long story just a bit longer...
    I knew I could quit smoking with my first drag off an electronic cigarette.

14. AuBadge

AuBadge Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 15, 2012
    Antioch, TN
    Right after my first hit on a PV. Kicked cigarettes to the curb immediately and haven't had one since. Vaping works. Period.

15. Nuuze

Nuuze Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2012
    Norcal
    After receiving my vape kit and vaping the first 2 hours I felt that it can easily replace smoking cigarettes. Been a smoker for 20+ years and I haven't really wanted a cigarette since vaping for a week now.

16. DummyMe

DummyMe Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    North Carolina
    I first started vaping using an NJoy because I wanted to not smoke for the funeral of my Mother. There were family & friends there that I didn't want to know I still smoked. The NJoy worked for the funeral, but battery life & the cartos didn't last long & I figured it would cost as much as buying smokes. A few months later, I bought more cartos & another battery & tried again. So I smoked & vaped for a few more months, mostly smoked. I found one of the Smoke Everywhere kiosks at a mall & it sounded every expensive, but it got me thinking I should check it out online. I discovered ECF (best day of my life, sorry wife, sorry kids!) At the time everyone was talking about a Riva 510 kit for $30 from a vendor. That sure sounded like a much better deal than a couple hundred from the mall kiosk.

I bought that kit & some juice, some extra carts, etc. I read ECF for days, learning everything i could. When the kit arrived, I charged the batteries & started vaping. I had less than a pack & a half of stinkies left. I chain vaped pretty good, it took me 3 days to finish that pack & a half. I just never bought more. For a 45+ year smoker, thats pretty good. I've been smoke free now over a year. I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm very proud of me!

The Rivas are long gone. I vape a ProVari, Lavatube & ePower. But still no analogs. Keep on Vapin'

17. Johny Ringo

Johny Ringo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I got an Ecig at a trade show. It sat on my desk for a month or two and occasionally I would take a few drags off it. It wasnt great but it wasnt bad. One day after taking a drag off it I said what the hell I should try this for real.

So i started looking all over the net trying to find the best ecig and after looking at a ton of paid advertising sites I finally found this place. I read a bunch here then found out there were to vapor stores here in town. I went to the one closest to me and got an ego kit. The first day or two I used it on and off and smoked in between. I didnt really like the juice I got with it , again it was ok but not really better than my cherished marlboro.

I finally decided to make the trek across town to the other store to see what they had to offer. I actually smoked a cigarette before walking in. They were all set up for ampling thier juices and had a whole menu of different juices to try. The first juice i tried was swagger and I knew instantly that I would be able to quit. I spent a good hour or so trying all the juices they had and walked out with a sample pack. Havent had a cigarette since. It has been about a month now and the pack I had when I walked into Pink spot is still sitting in my car. Think i might frame it :p

18. rosesense

rosesense ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    DC2 told my story, needed something when I wanted time to think. I knew it could work from the very first vape but was still nervous that it wouldn't 'stick' for the first 2 or 3 months. After that, I felt confident. I used to have dreams that I smoked cigs again and would wake up frazzled until I realized it was just a bad dream. Those dreams have finally stopped, thank goodness. They were nightmares, actually.

19. ClassAct

ClassAct Full Member Verified Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    I've been smoking 1PaD for (only) about 8 years but they got their hooks in good. Over the past year I've tried cold turkey several times and the gum and patches. 3 hours is about when my head starts to feel like it's underwater and every fiber of my being says I need a cigarette to breath. Until I got my 808 kit. That night I was overwhelmed by this incredible feeling that I could actually quit. It really is an amazing feeling. I've smoked since then, but not because I had to. I haven't paid for a cigarette since, and that REALLY feels good.

20. mwa102464

mwa102464 Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

First vape and I knew right there and then, but still took me 3 weeks to break my habit,, they say any habit takes 28-30 days to break, so I did it in half of that and felt pretty good about myself, it was a 32-33yr 2pk a day habit, Poof gone just like that after trying everything under the sun including, bupropion & Chantix, nothing worked that Big Pharma had or anything else for that matter,, e-cigs not only work they've most likely added years to my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.