The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

At what point did you realize "I could actually quit smoking"?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by nanovapr, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DancingHeretik

DancingHeretik Dancing in the Chaos Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    When I got my Ego-T and figured out how to get juice to my atty and vaped a few puffs, my first thought was: This is too good to be true. It tastes too good. I'll just keep vaping away for awhile and wait to find out if it's really this good.

I kept expecting it to not work. It was like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But, after a couple of days, the other shoe never did drop, and I realized that I really could do this! I haven't had a cigarette since.

Edited to add: I had smoked 2 PAD for 37 years and thought I could never, ever quit.

2. peraspera

peraspera Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2012
    midwest
    During my first hit it was obvious to me that I much preferred the taste of vaping over smoking despite a 2+ PAD decades old habit. However, I thought it would take weeks or even months to get to the point where I would not crave a cigarette. I'm still in a state of delighted shock that I have been spared any such cravings and haven't had a cigarette since I started vaping.

I am very thankful that there was no "too good to be true" for me.

3. glassmanoak

glassmanoak Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    The very first second I took a drag of vapor into my lungs from a Volcano Inferno I knew that I would never NEED another cigarette.
    And I never have to this day, a little more than a year later.

4. plantlvr

plantlvr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2009
    Northern California
    Great stories! I too loved to smoke, tried vaping to see if I could have a 'hit of nic' at work where it's very anti-smoking. By the second day I didn't want or need a cig, just the vape.
    Tried different gear ( still do) but for this ex-smoker of almost 40 years, vaping is much better than smoking ever was. I will be 3 years smoke free very soon :)

5. Butters78

Butters78 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

When I tried my first general snus portion.

6. ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2012
    California
    DC2 told my story.
    Except the: Just 7 analogs a day (PAD here), not the 27 years (more like a little more than half of that), never tried many things like harmonica, tea, etc., nor did I try any way to quit.

DC2 - Do we know each other? Do we have half of the same DNA? So similar, but yet so far... (just joking)

7. Fiamma

Fiamma Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2012
    So Calif
    Smoked for 55 yrs, last 20 of them 2 cartons a week. Quit the day my gear arrived 24 Feb 2011. Not one cig since. Do I miss them? No. Why did I quit? I got tired of the money spent and no end in sight to the raises in the tax. I did some research and ordered up. Best day of my life ;)

8. Natalia

Natalia Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 27, 2010
    California
    Smoked for 48 years. Quit the day my kr808d starter kit arrived - 08/22/10.
    Joined ECF 5 days later, and never looked back. :)

I was lucky, some take a little longer, some still need to supplement an analog here or there, but we're all here to support each other. ;)

9. LongHaul

LongHaul Howdy Y'All Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Bradenton, Florida
    When I spent a entire check on vaping gear on purpose so I wouldn't have the cash on hand to buy figs with.

Sent from my truck using 3 toasters a broken microwave and 6 rubber bands McGyver style......Chuck Norris aint got crap on me

10. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I don't know.
    :)

You live in California, and I know almost every California resident.
    So I probably do know you.
    ;)

11. Engraced

Engraced Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    AK-Rowdy, Ohio
    I realized it the moment when I threw out my glossy red Zippo. I started vaping back in 09, but it was more of an on-and-off again HS-style relationship. I went back to vaping in March of this year (if I remember right), and in May, I threw out all of my spare lighters that I used to have.

It took me until July of this year to realize that I was REALLY done for good. And that's when I threw away my Zippo.

It was a weird sentimental moment. I loved that lighter so much, but it was almost like I knew going back wasn't really an option, ya know?

12. Miira

Miira Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2012
    Seaside, CA
    I realized it around day 3 with my e-cig. I thought it would be hard and I'd still be constantly craving cigarettes, but I wasn't. I slowly finished off the last pack of cigarettes over the next month, but haven't wanted one since and it's been months.

13. Renrav

Renrav Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Last year I got a cheap 510 analog-look-alike from the gas station. I was planning on quitting on my birthday weekend, or right after. Then a week before my birthday a coworker asked me for a cigarette as he was leaving. I surprised myself by saying "yeah sure...actually take all of them, and my lighter." A week later I went to visit my girlfriend for my birthday. She was completely crazy all weekend, including getting terribly upset that I got drunk...on my birthday...which was the plan and why she was driving that night. Things were not any better when I left, and the only time I have seen her since was a 5 minute meeting in a parking lot to give each other some stuff back.

When I didn't go buy a pack after all that nonsense I knew that I could really quit.

14. Cuando

Cuando Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I spent around two and a half hours vaping off my auto penstyle. I remember sitting there, feeling completely calm, this caramel/marshmallow taste on my lips, knowing I did not need a cigarette.

Four years later the technology has made vaping an amazing alternative to smoking. I'm far more committed now that I know the culture and the methods of vaping. Backups for backups and juice for days.

15. mostapha

mostapha Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Some awesome stories in here.

I never wanted to quit……just wanted to replace the mindless chain smoking with mindless chain vaping and have a cigarette when I actually wanted one. I realized I could quit when I noticed that I hadn't had a cigarette in a couple days and was actively choosing to vape despite having cigarettes right next to it in my pocket.

After 5 cigarette-free days, I decided I wanted one, went outside and lit it……and instantly put it out, took a shower, brushed my teeth, and went back to vaping.

I never did finish that pack of cigarettes.

16. RedForeman

RedForeman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2010
    Georgia
    My eGo kit came in the mail on a Saturday. By the end of the following Monday I knew the potential was there. I work at home, so had the eGo on my desk fiddling with it all day. At bed time I realized I had only smoked half a pack that day. Cool. Kept at it and that cig count kept dropping without even trying to do it.

It took about two months of practice and trying different juices, nic levels, and cart mods to get the eGo to be satisfying enough to stop going for a smoke. Then one day after several weeks, I was sitting at my desk thinking about it, and realized I hadn't had a real cigarette in three days. It just happened, not deliberate at all. After that, it only took a tiny bit of will power and about 3-4 more cigarettes spaced about a month apart to make me not want any more.

17. prospero

prospero Full Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Isle of Man, UK
    As soon as my ecig kit arrived, that was it! Gave me everything I needed and haven't looked back in over 2 months. Funny thing for the first 48 hours or so, I rolled my own before vaping and kept getting the urge to roll, guess that was just habit :) One happy ex-smoker!

18. chykensa

chykensa Full Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    The first vape - and 4 days later, still going strong!!

19. TheSenator

TheSenator Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I (unknowingly) ordered some low nic eliquid in my first couple of orders, so I was still on analogs for a bit, until like some others have said...One quiet weekend staying in, not going out drinking with my buddies, I had only had 2 analogs in 48+ hours.

That's when I knew vaping was WORKING.

20. MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Today. I was out and about, and completely forgot about smoking for seven solid hours. I vaped instead and never noticed the difference.

For somebody who downed 55 cigs a day twelve days ago, to two today, is incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.