The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

At what point did you realize "I could actually quit smoking"?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by nanovapr, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bryth65

bryth65 Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    UK
    Easy. About 4 days after I started vaping, and realised that the untouched half pack of smokes in my office desk was just taking up space. Opened the pack, ran them under the tap and dumped the soggy mess in the bin along with 5 disposable lighters. Over a month later, I have not touched a cigarette, have not missed them and have no regrets.

2. Liquinator

Liquinator Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2012
    C:\Germany\LwrSaxony
    The day I got my Reo (last november) was the day I quit without even struggling or thinking of ever going back.

3. JENerationX

JENerationX Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I never quit smoking.... I started vaping, and over a couple months realized I'd forgotten to smoke or buy cigs.

4. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I started vaping thinking I would try this out and see how things went. I've had about 6 smokes since then, mostly in the first few weeks. Never thought it could be this easy to quit smoking, especially since I've never been able to do it before. Feel a lot better for it too!

5. perpetua

perpetua Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2010
    UK
    The morning I woke up, after a couple of weeks of starting vaping and didn't reach
    to spark up a ciggy immediately.

I've never looked back . . . .

6. Alliebar

Alliebar Full Member Verified Member

May 22, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    The day I no longer needed to have a just in case back up smoke. I still feared I would wake up in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning and need a real cig. Not in 4 months. 38 years, 1.5 PAD habit. Not anymore. Not ever again!

7. phonedude

phonedude DIY Enthusiast Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Kansas
    Although wanting to quit for years I was convinced I would die smoking. And I had the terrible smokers cough that I worried made that a real possibility.

I realized I could stop smoking upon taking the first puff of a cig lookalike that the local smokeshop let me try.

When I saw the cloud of vapor I blew out and felt the slight peppery tingle in my mouth I remember thinking "There's no reason this shouldn't work." And I bought one.

Then I came home to get online and do some research. I wanted to make sure I was making a good trade. In less than a week the smokers cough went away and I could take a deep breath for the first time in years. There may be no proof that e-cigs are safe but I am convinced it was a very good trade for me.

:2cool:

8. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    I probably realized in about 6 months in vaping.

9. Bullcity-puffer

Bullcity-puffer Unregistered Supplier

Sep 12, 2012
    Durham, NC
    I had tried everything under the sun and the idea of quitting something that seemingly had me licked was an idea almost too big to handle. I kept my old pack of cigs with me the first week just in case- when I got the urge to smoke I puffed my eGo and the urge disappeared. I kept this up and tried not to think about it too much. I somehow got to the end of the wk and hadn't had a smoke - i continued to carry that old pack around but with little to no temptation. I think I fooled myself into it- it just stuck- I think I knew that if I went back and forth btwn analogs and my puffer it would be harder to give em up. I stuck and stayed!! I find it hard to believe sometimes its been almost two yrs!:banana:

10. HighlanderNorth

HighlanderNorth Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2012
    Mid Atlantic USA
    I Kinda didnt realize I could quit smoking until I started vaping, which I was trying mainly as a way to "smoke indoors without smoking indoors" if you know what I mean, but I bought it mainly out of curiosity, and because my Mother was disappointed that I skipped a stop-smoking seminar with a hypnotist. But I seriously even consider that it was going to make me stop smoking!

I didnt plan on quitting per se, and I had no limitations or guidelines set up or any support, etc.

Pretty much I just started vaping and stopped smoking 4 weeks ago today......

11. tearose50

tearose50 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2011
    Left coast
    The first day I decided to seriously give vaping a try I knew I could switch. My analog use reduced over 1/3 that day and mostly went down from there to zero 2-3 weeks later. Knowing I could was the big factor for me -- so then I just went for it.

I still have my favorite un-known brand shiny black with gold scroll detail mini with whistle tip cartridges that I bought my first week. It was my 2nd e-cig kit, a nice upgrade (found that out later) and I became so fond of it, I bought another kit. (I may frame it someday.) I believe it was an early version of a 901.

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    I was a pack a day smoker for 27 years. On January 20th of this year, I began my vaping journey. A few weeks later I went to Las Vegas for Superbowl weekend. I packed my e-cigs in my luggage, arrived in Sin City, and proceeded to drink & gamble like a degenerate for 3 straight days. E-cigs got me through that trip and afterwards I knew that I no longer needed cigarettes in my daily life.

In Vaping I Trust . . .

13. Genestus

Genestus Full Member Verified Member

About a week into having my v-tube. I just kinda forgot I still had half a pack of cigs.

14. l337acc

l337acc Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    Northern California
    You know, for me, it wasn't that "I could quit smoking"...it was more like "I can start vaping!"

Haven't touched a cigarette or chewing tobacco since...

15. Wolf308

Wolf308 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2012
    NC
    I may be an unusual case, but I switched 100% from the get go. I went and bought my first kit (which got traded out about a month later) and told myself this was going to work. I smoked for 22 years, and over the last year and a half I dropped 100 lbs. "the hard way." So I thought... these have to go. I have a goal of running a half marathon (on hold due to running related knee injuries... go figure!) and wanted to cycle distances. I wasn't achieving a darn thing with the way I was breathing. Yeah... while smoking I was running 7 miles. But I sounded like my lungs were going to come clean out of my chest and wait for me to pass by again. I could only cycle 2 miles. And I paid $75 for that darn kit! LOL! Cheap mixed with having goals did it for me. So I finished off my carton of cigarettes and didn't allow myself to play with the e-cig until I was done with the carton. I warned my co-workers when I was down to 2 packs. Then I made the switch. I was a real joy to be around for about a week and made a point of apologizing individually and in person to everyone I had extended contact with when it was over. But I never looked back. And before I hurt my knees I got myself to half marathon running distances and hit 30 miles on a mountain bike. Every time I want a cigarette I look at my running shoes or at my bike and the desire passes fairly fast. I keep my bike helmet in the car for instances of desire in the car (mom still smokes and it does get tempting... I never did develop that hatred for the smell of cigarettes, and cigars are my down fall, I love the smell of a good cigar).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.