Atomizer Cleaned ! Simple Cheap Effective Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Please help me understand how these chemicals are really getting removed from the very absorbent materials in the atomizer. When I wrote about my RC Cola clean I noted that I was tasting cola remnants for 2 days afterwards, even though I'd soaked and rinsed it out throughly with very hot water.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Good point, I think with the inherent design of the coil wick, a bundle of tiny glass-fibres,
and the huge porosity of the metal mesh wick,
there's a strong potential for small amounts of stuff to linger in the deep recesses,
even with thorough rinsing.

After cleaning with some chemicals - choose you favourite method,
I'd guess simple rinsing might not be enough, maybe boiling the whole
atomizer in water would be a good thing to do.

Ramblin

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Columbia, Missouri

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
About the EM stuff:
For UK buyers : 250 ml and 1 litre bottles of EM
Effective microorganisms (EM) products from The Recycle Works
quite reasonable prices, was just about to place an order myself,
would like to see how this stuff works first-hand.

Hmmm, but reading around their site, it seems you have to do quite a bit
of 'fiddling' to get a working microbe culture (fermenting with molasses + long wait).

The shelf life of fresh culture is only 4 weeks.. so this has put me off.

Also I'm not convinced you could wash the microbes out of the atomiser properly.

jamie - i think that the stickiness of cola with all its sugar explains why with cola perhaps more than a quick rinse might be needed to remove the taste.

With H2O2, vinegar (and even cola, absent the lingering taste) a quick rinse should be fine. Anything thick like a paste, however, would be best rinsed under fast running tap more some time.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Did you try it Faethe? If so, how did it go?

Lu

I've got a bunch of atomizers soaking in coke now. I am going to rinse them in a solution of Borax and Vinegar. Reading what I did here just now about coke taste/stuff clinging to the atomizer mesh and leaving a residual taste, makes me think that vinegar/borax (which are both flavor neutralizers/odor absorbers) should take care of that, or any residual oils.

I'm still curious as to what people think of Borax because I am wondering if there isn't some lurking chem in it that might not be cool to vape.

Frody

Mar 21, 2009
Germany
About the EM stuff:
Hmmm, but reading around their site, it seems you have to do quite a bit
of 'fiddling' to get a working microbe culture (fermenting with molasses + long wait).

The shelf life of fresh culture is only 4 weeks.. so this has put me off.

Also I'm not convinced you could wash the microbes out of the atomiser properly.

Maybe that's "EM Farming"? After fermenting it become EMa (activ). This is what I'm buying. This should have a shelf life of approx. 3 months. But to be honest, the first 4 weeks are the best (more little helpers)..

My supplier has some EM alternatives with citric acid or vinegar ("EMc", "EM5"), which have a much longer shelf life. I would test it but I don't know how to make some photos of an atomizer wick (I even can see it on the MiniFogger without a magnifier) without disassembling..:oops:
So I have to play a little more with my camera..

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Thanks for the clarification, didn't realize there were different 'types' of EM,
pehaps I'll try to find a UK source of the 'right stuff' :)

Was thinking of getting a mini-fogger for just that reason (being able to see the coil easily),
but I've already got 2 x JOYE510, 5 or 6 901's & a super-mini, so maybe after pay day :rolleyes:

Hope you can get some good photos, keep us informed....

revdrlon

Apr 6, 2009
ky
heh, might as well repost this here too, i hope i dont get in trouble for doing this too much...

okay guys, im fairly new to this (i havent even got my dse901 in the mail yet) but i am quite good with pipe care. i know the best way to remove any sign a pipe has been used is by soaking it in a mixture of kosher salt and grain alchohol. i dont know it this would damage the atomisor, but i know with a pipe when you do it if you let it sit that way for about 8 hours the mixture is solid brown from all the nicotine it removes from the briar. if it does it that well with a pipe then why wouldnt it work to get an atomisor clean?

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
i was wondering if the old trick for decarbing an rc plane exhaust would work. large pot, half a cup of biological detergent, 1 liter or so of water, simmer for 30 mins to an hour, soft brush to loosen anything left on, then simmer again for 30 mins.

we did this with rc helicopter mufflers simmer in ethylene glycol,
(yes,car radiator anti freezer)
highly poisinous.....not recommended.

trintek

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
i never tried ethylene glycol, i always used biological laundry detergent, would let it sit in warm water for 30 or so, simmer it for 30 or so... brush off the loose bits, then do it a second time, worked wonders. unfortunately i don't have an atomizer crapped up enough to try it on right now.

antifreeze, i never would have thought of that :)

there is a patent floating around for a decent carbon remover, i had a local lab make some up a few years back to use on some old motorcycle engines i had laying around, the stuff works wonders just by soaking, no agitation until the end.

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
The lining of your lungs is infinitely more sensitive than your stomach (which contains acid by design). If you wouldn't eat it, think LONG and HARD about vaping it.

If you all want to experiment with non-inhalable solvents (or solvents that leave no residue), then you really need to think about boiling/steaming or something else that will ensure that there is ZERO solvent residue left behind.

Be smart about this.

Your health isn't worth a $8 atomizer that is overused but "clean" again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread