Atomizer Cleaned ! Simple Cheap Effective Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, thank you.

I have been looking into the ice machine cleaner (nickle safe) as mentioned in this forum, it is food safe, and rinses clean away.
I do refrig for a living, and it seems that the cleaner would be better than pepsi for strength, now maybe it could be too strong for this application?, I am going to try it on an old atomizer when I get my new ones in....

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Removing Carbon from a Pan Bottom has some more ideas in case interested.

Jigtg--We repeat to mind everyone that these are experiments and using chemicals and solvents for the purpost that they are not intended is dangerous!!! So if you or anyone else takes on an experiment--be careful and do so at your own risk---Just another reminder that saftey comes first and the quest for a SAFE way to truly clean the coil off off atomizers has not yet been found to date----Sun

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Just a thought - maybe the main reason for the efficacy of cola is the mechanical lifting achieved by the release of CO2. The cola soaks in and as the gas is released, the bubbles push off the deposit. The phosphoric acid helps a bit too by reacting with any inorganic minerals and oxides within the deposit structure, creating holes where the gas, on release, can prise off/apart the deposit.

So even carbonated water might work a bit. Could be tested. A water with lots of dissolved gas would be best; perhaps soda water.

Skullbone - look forward to your results.

Last edited:

BarryK

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Essex ENGLAND
Simple Effective Atomizer Cleaning

Note 4: In the below demonstration I used a switchable voltage supply with 3V, 4.5V (and others),
1.2 amp current-limited, bought from Argos for £10, the jack plug happens to touch the atomizer battery contact-end quite nicely.

Just a thought, has anyone tried using a low voltage AC power supply for this? - 4 to 6 volts at around 1 amp or so.

It may just be that the 50hz (60 in the US) will have some effect in 'vibrating' the gunk off........

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
I don't see what good magnetic field would. The wire has enough surface area to maintain temperature pretty stable for a second or so. In theory what might work is to heat it to 1000 celsius or so very rapidly. Metals expand when heated after all. Out of interest, I tried heating ~3ohm piece of nichrome wire with 50 vols by sweeping wires to short circuit it. It takes something like 10th of a second to heat it to 1000 celsius. Somehow I don't think that is fast enough but then again I'm not a physicist. One can also get bubbles to form near the wire by placing it in water and pushing 12 volts through it.

revdrlon

Apr 6, 2009
ky
hmmm, i hadnt thought about doing the electroplating thing, that would probably work really good. i metal detect all the time and when i get a coin of value i always shove it in the electroplating mix and sock it with electricity to get the crud off it

the key thing to remember is that you have to set it up like the wire is what you are trying to coat things with and not the other way around. if you do it the other way around then it will just try to coat the wire with the other metal making it almost impossible to get clean ever again

revdrlon

Apr 6, 2009
ky
maybe this will help people a bit, you would need to set it up o the atomizer is hooked up to the positive terminal of a battery and the spoon is hooked up to the negative.
250px-Electroplating-of-spoon.PNG

the mixture is salt and vinegar and a bit of water

i usually stop adding salt when it stops being absorbed by the water

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Has anyone tried using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner? How effective is that? I just purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon for $30, so it would be cool if I could also use that for my atomizers.

Caywen--the posts are few with results on this method--I tried it and it might be good to clear a flooded atomizer of a bad taste--but as for cleaning the coil--it will not work---nice unit to have around though--Sun

caywen

Mar 4, 2009
Caywen--the posts are few with results on this method--I tried it and it might be good to clear a flooded atomizer of a bad taste--but as for cleaning the coil--it will not work---nice unit to have around though--Sun

Thanks for the info, Sun. Is the coil you tried to clean completely gunky, or was it mild? My plan is to use the ultrasonic bath regularly (maybe every 3 days or so) to prevent major buildup, but it seems the jury is still out on that.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Thanks for the info, Sun. Is the coil you tried to clean completely gunky, or was it mild? My plan is to use the ultrasonic bath regularly (maybe every 3 days or so) to prevent major buildup, but it seems the jury is still out on that.

Caywen--I have taken apart an atomizer after one days use and the coil was loaded with residual--so it is a very fast progressive build up. One days use yeilds a lot of residue!!!! Sun

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
I contacted the manufacturer and you don't need to mess with the product at all. They said some farmers who use large quantities will add the molasses mix to make a larger batch from the original in order to save money. The product is activated when you get it. Hope this is of some help. Would really like to hear some results from those who have tried this stuff.

I have a product that I use to clean my stove top. It is specifically made for cleaning burnt on residue. It is available at Lowes and is called Cooktop Magic. I haven't tried it on an atomizer as I am new to this and have not had the need yet.

I actually found the MSDS on it and it looks to be safe. It says it is completely water soluble and is not a carcinogen etc.

link to MSDS: (I can't post links yet so you need to add the www)

hardwarestore.com/media/msds/101836.pdf

I know it is an amazing cleaner and would work. The only question is safety, any opinions?

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Fascinating avatar DontBlink, very high quality.

CooktopMagic
suspension of calcium carbonate, alumina and detergent in water
Sounds relatively inoffensive, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope,
stronger alkalis have been tried & found wanting
(this atomizer gunk is tough stuff)

Then again anything (within reason) is worth a try,
if you try it, just be careful to get it all out of the atomizer before using it.

Not sure what the alumina is supposed to do, probably just an abrasive.

2kool2, perhaps you should get more atomizers & cycle them,
then you'd possibly have less chance of failure,
& loads to clean at once at the end of the quarter ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread