Attack of the (Kayfun Mini V3) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
If you find that the tank leaks out of the air holes after refilling, the problem is that you're pressurizing the tank when you screw the top cap back on. The easiest way to resolve this is to turn the tank upside down before you open the flow control. That lets the pressure out without forcing juice into the well.

I'll try that. I also dialed down the juice flow to about 1 3/4 turns open instead of closer to 2, though I'm using 70/30 to 80/20 VG/PG juice. I'm not sure what is best there, but I understand that 1-2.5 rotations is a typical range - depending on the thickness of your juice.

I've also raised my coil above the build deck airhole a little more, to help keep juice from leeching off the coil/wick into the airhole. I'll see how all that works.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I consider the juice control more of an off/on than a regulator. If the tank has a good seal, then it really doesn't matter how far you open it or how you wick it. Open it all the way, 2-3 turns. The vacuum in the tank will control the juice flow. As long as the wick is not blocking the juice channels, but is reasonably close to the the deck, the tank should perform flawlessly and require no fiddling.

Reactions: Katdarling

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
I haven't been on this thread in awhile... I bought a few clones of this mini v3.. Some had problems, but one was really great.. Been using it for many months now exclusively.. For my needs so far this kayfun mini v3 has been my favorite m2l tank. I worry a little bit about the internal parts deep inside.. I wonder if they are stainless steel.. It really can get gunked up inside that inner tube that controls the air flow to the coil.. I like this tank so much I was even thinking about getting the original version.. Maybe the original has 100 percent stainless parts EVERYWHERE.. and better screws!!

Is there a general consensus now about the best clone to go with these days for the mini v3. The best one i got was the cheapest for 8 bucks can't even remember where lol. What are your thoughts.. and what do you guys think about trying to find an authentic one.. or an authentic base.. and any of you guys find any other tanks that are just as good as this one for tight draws and m2L.. I know thats a very difficult question to ask people these days.. I vape tight... 12mg nicotine.. m2L..

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
I do truly wish I could advise or even comment, but I'm using my KF3s less and less. I have a huge aversion to the wicking over that WALL.

I've sort of moved on to the Toyotas and the Egg Rolls as tanks of choice at this point.

Glad to see this thread bumped tho! Thanks, Billy. :)

Can you elaborate what you mean by toyotas and eggrolls.. is there a fuller name or something?

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Yes, and I'm sorry, paladinx. You and I don't know one another, and I often forget that not everyone here knows my silliness for name changing everything.

The Toyotas are the SXK Corolla tanks (available on FT). The Egg Rolls are the Joyetech Ego One Mega V2 tanks.

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Thanks for the explanation :D
So you like that corolla better than the kayfun v3.. is it because of something like bigger air flow and more vapor or you like the flavor better.. I enjoy a very tight draw and use 12mg nicotine.

I prefer the Corolla because it just produces such a sweet vape! It's a PITA to wick, but once done, it's really pretty incredible (to me). I love the longevity of the wicking. (I'm on fill # 46.)

On the flip side, the KF3 is also difficult for me to wick, but once done is an OK vape. It just doesn't have that.... poof, that boom, that je ne sais quoi in taste that the Toyota does.

It's not a question of air flow in my take on either tank... both are fine, but the Toyota has more of an adjustment (which I like). More vapor? I wouldn't know "more vapor" if it knocked on my front door with Franklins in its hands. ;) I'm not anywhere near a clouder. Sorry. :)

My taste? I'm totally old skool, and happy with the draw on a KF, a Nauti, an Egg Roll, and of course, my Toyotas. I use 15mg., higher PG, if that helps.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
I prefer the Corolla because it just produces such a sweet vape! It's a PITA to wick, but once done, it's really pretty incredible (to me). I love the longevity of the wicking. (I'm on fill # 46.)

On the flip side, the KF3 is also difficult for me to wick, but once done is an OK vape. It just doesn't have that.... poof, that boom, that je ne sais quoi in taste that the Toyota does.

It's not a question of air flow in my take on either tank... both are fine, but the Toyota has more of an adjustment (which I like). More vapor? I wouldn't know "more vapor" if it knocked on my front door with Franklins in its hands. ;) I'm not anywhere near a clouder. Sorry. :)

My taste? I'm totally old skool, and happy with the draw on a KF, a Nauti, an Egg Roll, and of course, my Toyotas. I use 15mg., higher PG, if that helps.

Thanks for elaborating.. I will have to try this corolla and see if I have the same experience. After all this is a clone thread so perhaps whatever clone(s) you had of the KFM 3 were different than mine. Have you tried other tanks/clones like the pico etc?

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Hope you enjoy the Toyota Corolla as I do, paladinx.

I've not tried the Pico, but do use the KF clowns (EHPro mainly).

Somehow, I don't think it's a question of the atomizer/tank being a clone. For me, I just have this THING with the KF3 Mini, and find it rather swear-inducing to wick it.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I think that's the prob for me. I use rayon, and I always fuss around with all the trimming of the tails. The difficulty for me is that the wicking is "blind" so to speak. But no worries! I think I have another tank or 3 around here. ;)

Yeah, working with rayon on this tank is a little tougher. I'm still sure I'm not doing it right, but feel I'm getting closer, maybe. I'm really tempted to try cotton wick in these, to see if that makes wicking easier, as most coil/wick guides/tutorials for these tanks use cotton.

One mistake I seem to make every other day or two with this tank is forgetting to re-open the juice flow after refilling. I often don't notice this error right away. When I do it would typically be too late if I was using cotton, but rayon is a little more forgiving. Which is one reason I like to use rayon.

I find I get vape reducing build up on the coil fairly quickly, so I have to change out the wick everyday. If I'm not in a position to do that, scraping the built up funk off the coil with...whatever is handy, that helps bring back the quality of the vape. Are there specific tools people use for that purpose? I was thinking a little, compact, stiff bristled brush of some kind would be better than using keys, or whatever else happens to be at hand.

I'm disappointed I'm not getting past a day of good vaping without having to rewick, though rewicking is getting easier. I have a little pouch I carry small items like vape scissors, a vape tweezer multi tool and spare rayon in, for when I go on road trips that will last me several hours. For overnight trips I just take my whole coil building bag with everything, but that is not always convenient. I should get two sets of some of these tools, so I don't have to keep transferring them from bag to pouch and back again all the time.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I have a small case which always has spare batteries, 2 bottles of juice and 2 tanks. If the flavor goes on one of my tanks, I just use one of the other ones until I get home. I don't usually bother to change the wick until it stops working well so each of my tanks has a different color glass for the different juices that blend well together. One for strong fruit and berry flavors, one for light fruit and bakery flavors and one for nutty/coffee/chocolate flavors. I also pack a 3rd tank which I barely use because it's unflavored for when I need to stealth vape. I used to pack scissors and spare wicks, but I don't bother anymore.

For longer trips, like vacations, I have a case with a bunch of juices and my coil making kit.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Kat darling... I have used cotton and rayon is my kayfun mini v3 and the wicking is not difficult. Maybe you are using a big coil and having too much cotton/rayon.. I make a coil with the blue screw drivers that come with clones.. its maybe around a 2.5 coil or something like that.. After i put in my cotton/rayon through the coil i have a small thin mini pair of scissors.. I put them inside the indentation beneath the deck and angle them slighly up and trim the wicks.. maybe i can show you a picture of what i mean.. that always gives the perfect length of wick.. than i grab the wick by the end and put it in with the help of a mini Eyeglass type screw driver to help push the cotton in.. Once u get the hang of it, its extremely easy.. and honestly i suck at rebuilding but EVERY SINGLE build , wick etc etc that i put into this kayfun mini 3 has performed well.. Its almost idiot proof..

to the other guy with clogged coils.. that really depends on the juice... THe darker juices with certain ingredients turns black and gunks very fast.. Ive had juices where i vaped an entire 30ml bottle ont he same wick

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
If you find that the tank leaks out of the air holes after refilling, the problem is that you're pressurizing the tank when you screw the top cap back on. The easiest way to resolve this is to turn the tank upside down before you open the flow control. That lets the pressure out without forcing juice into the well.
That's an excellent idea I can use on my new KF 3 Mini clone thanks!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I make a coil with the blue screw drivers that come with clones.. its maybe around a 2.5 coil or something like that..

The infamous blue screwdriver is 2 mm--just FYI.

I prefer 2.5 mm coils for my Kayfuns. But that's just me...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I found that screwing the top back on after refilling very slowly (to let extra air escape from the tank) works very well--at least for me.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I think that's the prob for me. I use rayon, and I always fuss around with all the trimming of the tails. The difficulty for me is that the wicking is "blind" so to speak. But no worries! I think I have another tank or 3 around here. ;)

Have you watched any of Stan Q's Kayfun videos? He uses both cotton and rayon. Maybe you'll find it helpful. His pictorials in the "authentic" threads are also fantastic. I won't post any links because he strongly disapproves of clones, in case you didn't know. ;)

I only use cotton in my Kayfuns so I can't be of much help--sorry.

Last edited:

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
billybc, maybe a dab of cotton WOULD be easier. Give it a go and see what you think? For me, it's not really an issue. I have enuf tanks to keep me plenty busy at this point. :)

I'd be hard-pressed to believe that most of us (all of us?) hadn't at one point forgotten to open the juice flow after refilling. It's not a mistake one makes too often tho.... :facepalm:

You have to change the wick out ..... EVERYDAY??? :shock:
That seems odd, but interesting. I rarely change the wicks at all... hmmm.

I don't know of a tool to scrape a gunky wick other than a quick dry burn. Open to suggestions, tho. Abstolutley!

pala, I don't think the coils are big (in fact, prolly the 2.5s or 3.0s). I don't believe that the amount of wicking is my personal prob. I think it's just an ongoing sort of agony with wicking it blind. It's really ok, tho. I'll either learn to do it and to live with my meager results, or I'll just end up passing them on to someone who loves them.

(I'm hearing Whitney Houston in my head now...... anyone else?) :blush:

Have you watched any of Stan Q's Kayfun videos? He uses both cotton and rayon. Maybe you'll find it helpful. His pictorials in the "authentic" threads are also fantastic. I won't post any links because he strongly disapproves of clones, in case you didn't know. ;)

I only use cotton in my Kayfuns so I can't be of much help--sorry.

Does he disapprove of a link to his vids? :) (Nope, haven't seen them, as far as I can recall.)

Thank you, Katyaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread