Attack of the (Kayfun Mini V3) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I have fine tuned my wicking to a point where I only need 1.25 - 1.5 turns to get enough juice into the chamber. My mix is 75% Vg and 4% distilled water. Of course I am using Rayon. Cotton might be different.
Same here - using Japanese organic cotton pads for wick.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
LOL! If you only KNEW me and keyboards. I have to replace them much more frequently than most. ... ;)
I usually keep mine for 8-10 yrs. I just bought a new keyboard last week. Corsair Vengeance K95 mechanical keyboard :D. I've always had ergonomic keyboards from Microsoft so having a standard keyboard takes a bit of getting used to but the keys are so much better. And it has a scroll wheel for volume.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
You probably could use one of those more expensive, noisy, clicky mechanical computer keyboards...
Heh. I have Cherry MX red keys so they're not as noisy but I also put o-rings under the keys so they're even more quiet now.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Heh. I have Cherry MX red keys so they're not as noisy but I also put o-rings under the keys so they're even more quiet now.

You did not! You put O RINGS under the keys? To dampen the sound??? The sound's half the fun!!!!!

8-10 years for you? (wow!)

Quite possibly and literally 8-10 months max for me.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Just FYI for any thinking of ordering the $8.99 Tobeco clones from efun. Ordered a couple on 8/4 and they arrived today (8/20), so shipping was 16 days total - which is not bad, all things considered. They were packed in a bubble wrap envelope.

The tracking showed "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" from 8/12 through 8/17, so I was wondering what was going on, but then on 8/18 USPS in San Francisco kicked in.

Haven't tried them yet, but they appear to be in good condition.

I just got my order (2 weeks from order to mailbox) from efun for 2x Tobeco V3s. I'm doubting they are Tobeco brand. All my V4 & V5 Tobeco KFLs came in branded Tobeco boxes. These came in a complete clone of the original's black box including the seal.

Were yours in a box at all? If so was it a brown Tobeco labeled box of a black box like an original? Anyone else get the Tobeco version, if so what type of box did it come in?

The build quality seems OK although I had to clean out some left over pieces from the machining process. The screws are noticeably smaller than my V3 mini's from Focal.

My main disappointment is the air tube securing the positive block. One one it sits flush w/ the top of the block. On the other it's just slightly recessed. All my other KFLs regardless of version the tube protrude a bit from the block. So for these I hope any condensation / juice from the wick doesn't easily make its way down the air tube. With the slight protrusion on all my others I think that helps to avoid juice going down the air tube.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
While I'm posting - A couple weeks ago I got 2x mini's from Focal. I think a couple weeks ago KTMRider mentioned them. They are the 316SS versions. I'm very pleased w/ these. Machined well, vape well, no leaks, condensation build ups etc. I like these better then the supposed Tobeco ones from eFun.

They also had a screen under the 510 drip tip. I don't know if these was extra or a true clone should have them. The 'Tobeco' mini's from eFun did not have this screen.

Andyhrn

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
TX
I've never used Kayfun before and always been on look out for something newer and better. Now after getting Kayfun v3 mini from FT I finally realized that I've been wasting my time and money all this time.
This RTA is perfect in size and performance. Kinda feel stupid by not getting in to Kayfun game earlier.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I just got my order (2 weeks from order to mailbox) from efun for 2x Tobeco V3s. I'm doubting they are Tobeco brand. All my V4 & V5 Tobeco KFLs came in branded Tobeco boxes. These came in a complete clone of the original's black box including the seal.

Were yours in a box at all? If so was it a brown Tobeco labeled box of a black box like an original? Anyone else get the Tobeco version, if so what type of box did it come in?

The build quality seems OK although I had to clean out some left over pieces from the machining process. The screws are noticeably smaller than my V3 mini's from Focal.

My main disappointment is the air tube securing the positive block. One one it sits flush w/ the top of the block. On the other it's just slightly recessed. All my other KFLs regardless of version the tube protrude a bit from the block. So for these I hope any condensation / juice from the wick doesn't easily make its way down the air tube. With the slight protrusion on all my others I think that helps to avoid juice going down the air tube.
I bought my first Tobeco version from VapeNW. It came in the same cloned Svomesto box as the ones from Fasttech and the ones from efun; it did not come in a Tobeco branded box. It is possible, I suppose, that the VapeNW version was not a Tobeco either. It was, however, advertised as a Tobeco by VapeNW. <shrug>

I haven't broken out the efun clones yet, so I haven't formed an opinion as to whether they appear to be the same as the one I got from VapeNW. I probably won't do so for at least a few more days.

What I can say, however, is that the VapeNW "Tobeco" clone was far from clean when I received it. It reeked of machine oil and I found some flakes of metal in it. I had to completely disassemble and wash it out several times to get rid of the taste of machine oil. However, once I adequately cleaned it out and tightened the center post it has worked very well and I have been using it every day since. (You might try tightening the center post of the one with the low air flow tube to see if it will raise it above the deck. It might be loose. Actually, you should probably do that with both of your units anyway.)

My Tobeco K4 clone - also from VapeNW - did come in a brownish Tobeco branded box.

EDIT: I was wrong about the box of the Tobeco clone that I got from VapeNW. It is not a copy of the Svomesto box. It is black in color, overall, and is the same size as boxes of the other clones, but the Tobeco logo and a picture of the RTA are on the box.

Last edited:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
While I'm posting - A couple weeks ago I got 2x mini's from Focal. I think a couple weeks ago KTMRider mentioned them. They are the 316SS versions. I'm very pleased w/ these. Machined well, vape well, no leaks, condensation build ups etc. I like these better then the supposed Tobeco ones from eFun.

They also had a screen under the 510 drip tip. I don't know if these was extra or a true clone should have them. The 'Tobeco' mini's from eFun did not have this screen.
There was no screen on the Tobeco I got from VapeNW either.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
You might try tightening the center post of the one with the low air flow tube to see if it will raise above the deck

There was no screen on the Tobeco I got from VapeNW either.

Thanks for your replies. Perhaps the ones from eFun are Tobeco's then.

As to tightening the tubes. Yep I tried that. Both were pretty snug/tight from the git-go. Put a put a 5mm socket on 'em and gave a bit more torque - any more and I was concerned of damage. One is now just a smidgeon beyond the positive block and the other is now flush instead of recessed. No time today for building but in the next day or so, they'll get a good cleaning and build 'em to see how they perform.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
2 1/2 always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, a little more on the black Tobeco so the logo lines up nicely with the mod :)

I'm a little late to the spaced coil conversation, but it's real easy to accomplish with titanium wire. Titanium also works very stabile in TC mode.

When I use SS I just make a contact coil and slightly pull it apart after installing it so it is spaced evenly.

But I prefer Ti1 for flavor, and probably because I'm used to working with it now.

It was a pain in the buttocks when I first started using it though, but if you can accept that it has a mind of it's own and just wrap it to one size smaller mandrel than the coil you want to end up with it'll make you very happy in the long run :)

My fav is 28g from UD, on the little orange spools (that happen to fit perfectly in my little coil-building-pouch).

I just stick the wire in a vice and wrap it by hand. I have one of those coilmaster jigs too but found it easier to wrap by hand with a vice, especially with titanium.

Try two wires twisted together for optimal results
24639996112_5365340198_o.gif

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Nice!
I have the Vengeance K60 with Reds, what size o-rings did you install?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HJMLDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're the same size as the o-rings that fit on most (all?) 510 drip tips but these are a bit softer and made specifically for keyboards. You'll need a key puller. I have a 3d printer so I printed a key puller :).

Keycap remover for Razer BlackWidow keyboard by 4ndreas

You did not! You put O RINGS under the keys? To dampen the sound??? The sound's half the fun!!!!!

8-10 years for you? (wow!)

Quite possibly and literally 8-10 months max for me.
I did! Apparently, it's a popular mod for these keyboards. It still makes clicky noises but not as much as before. If you like the tactile click, Cherry MX brown keys have a mechanical click as well as being a mechanical switch.

It's hard for me to find a keyboard I like so I tend to keep them for a long time. I usually take all the keys off and clean them and the keyboard every couple of years or as needed. The keys on my last MS keyboard started wearing off (the letters) so I decided to get a new one. I wasn't expecting to spend so much but it's definitely worth it and I was kicking myself for not getting one of these sooner.

The 2 316ss KM3's I got from Focalecig didn't have screens on them. They still work great and I'm getting used to the limited capacity. They work just as well as my black Tobeco KM3's.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I bought my first Tobeco version from VapeNW. It came in the same cloned Svomesto box as the ones from Fasttech and the ones from efun; it did not come in a Tobeco branded box. It is possible, I suppose, that the VapeNW version was not a Tobeco either. It was, however, advertised as a Tobeco by VapeNW. <shrug>

I haven't broken out the efun clones yet, so I haven't formed an opinion as to whether they appear to be the same as the one I got from VapeNW. I probably won't do so for at least a few more days.

What I can say, however, is that the VapeNW "Tobeco" clone was far from clean when I received it. It reeked of machine oil and I found some flakes of metal in it. I had to completely disassemble and wash it out several times to get rid of the taste of machine oil. However, once I adequately cleaned it out and tightened the center post it has worked very well and I have been using it every day since. (You might try tightening the center post of the one with the low air flow tube to see if it will raise it above the deck. It might be loose. Actually, you should probably do that with both of your units anyway.)

My Tobeco K4 clone - also from VapeNW - did come in a brownish Tobeco branded box.
Tobeco does not copy the box so if it looks like the SM box, it's not a Tobeco.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
The keys on my last MS keyboard started wearing off (the letters) so I decided to get a new one.

This. This this this this this. I love my keyboard (not expensive at all), so within the year, due to the lack of letters (even tho I touch type, I still like to see them), it will be replaced. I keep buying the exact same one, but the lettering disappears on every type/brand I've used.

Yes, I've tried the stick on letters (yuck) and yes, the clear nail polish (just peels off). So it's a yearly investment, and worth it to me!

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
This. This this this this this. I love my keyboard (not expensive at all), so within the year, due to the lack of letters (even tho I touch type, I still like to see them), it will be replaced. I keep buying the exact same one, but the lettering disappears on every type/brand I've used.

Yes, I've tried the stick on letters (yuck) and yes, the clear nail polish (just peels off). So it's a yearly investment, and worth it to me!
I'm a touch typist too and also like to see the letters. My last keyboard was the first time that happened. I have a spare new MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 that I tried for a few days but the thing is HUGE! It took too much space on my desk.

One of the reasons I bought my new keyboard is because I can buy a new set of keys. Cherry MX switches are widely used and keys are readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread