Status
Not open for further replies.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/ban-juul-not-vaping-electronic-cigarette/

A ‘Juul ban’ makes more sense

A return to limited availability of e-cigarette products seems like a smart move and one that does the least amount of harm. Data was already showing before Juul’s rise that traditional tobacco use was decreasing as e-cigarette use increased. Recent health crises aside, there isn’t much evidence to suggest that vaping isn’t a healthier alternative to tobacco use in some way.

By limiting e-juice and e-cigarette availability to specialty shops, it will become far more difficult for these products to end up in the hands of our youth. While the evidence is anecdotal, such a system worked well for years. Industry groups have long pushed shops to card customers, and many prohibit minors from entering their stores at all.

It might also be prudent to ban pod systems altogether, too. Yes, it would be inconvenient for those of us who might not want to fill a tank or change a wick or coil. But if the other option is a flavor ban that will likely only push vapers back to smoking, it might be a worthwhile alternative.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A Juul ban would accomplish precisely nothing. Oh, sure, it would put the company out of business, but if that's the product people want (and the market says it is), someone will step in to fill the void, legal or not. You can already buy blatantly counterfeit Juul pods, and Juul "compatible" devices and pods are available as well. Juul's pod/device interface may very well turn into the new 510...

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
The problem with a slippery slope like this is that it's... slippery.

By eliminating the largest vaping product manufacturer entirely, currently listed as 70% of the CS market and 30% of the entire vaping market, is that slowly picking off the rest of the manufacturers becomes much, much easier since the smaller manufacturers/retailers would not be able to afford a reasonable defense. And that would surely be the end game for politicians in today's nicotine war climate.

Bad, bad idea from the outset.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Has anyone noticed that the illnesses have ceased being reported on, that the handful would appear to be it? Has anyone else linked this to possibly bad carts just sprinkled into the black market, enough to create a panic by sacrificing a few for the bigger picture?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Has anyone noticed that the illnesses have ceased being reported on, that the handful would appear to be it? Has anyone else linked this to possibly bad carts just sprinkled into the black market, enough to create a panic by sacrificing a few for the bigger picture?
Numbers are still growing though. Another possibility is that understanding is growing that buying a cartridge of brown goo out of the back of some dudes pants he claims is “drugs” isn’t the healthiest move.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Another possibility is that understanding is growing that buying a cartridge of brown goo out of the back of some dudes pants he claims is “drugs” isn’t the healthiest move.
I've forgotten which thread I read it in, but the story was that the market for "carts" is not what it used to be. Basically, hardly anyone wants 'em right now. It seems consumers are being prudent.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Numbers are still growing though. Another possibility is that understanding is growing that buying a cartridge of brown goo out of the back of some dudes pants he claims is “drugs” isn’t the healthiest move.
Good point. As long as I'm aware on how to make my juice the way I want it, and have the equipment to last, i secretly want to see this epidemic rise. After they remove the "cause", and see death tolls rise, people will then realize how stupid they are. OK, not such a secret anymore.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Good point. As long as I'm aware on how to make my juice the way I want it, and have the equipment to last, i secretly want to see this epidemic rise. After they remove the "cause", and see death tolls rise, people will then realize how stupid they are. OK, not such a secret anymore.
You and BT. Wouldn’t matter. The infrastructure would be gone and all there would be is iQOS. The barely less worse option than actually smoking.

• Agree

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Since the obvious lessons from a decades-long the war on (some) drugs have been ignored, I wouldn't count on this fixing the stupidity either.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Yeah i thought that might be possible .

• Agree

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I'd say that the US regulators, government officials and media outlets are terrorist conspirators in the most literal sense of the word. They intentionally created a panic to protect their financial interests. And this author empowers them by offering to throw the largest and most successful manufacturer under the bus if they'll only give the rest of us a pass? How long does he suppose that would last? Don't negotiate with terrorists.

Vaping is good. Kids vaping is good too since it means they don't smoke cigarettes. Depriving citizens of the most effective smoking cessation technology is bad. Money from the tobacco settlement earmarked for anti-smoking should go to Juul and other domestic manufacturers and distributors as a reward for promoting this lifesaving technology, and as a gesture of contrition for damaging their businesses with bad legislation.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'd say that the US regulators, government officials and media outlets are terrorist conspirators in the most literal sense of the word. They intentionally created a panic to protect their financial interests. And this author empowers them by offering to throw the largest and most successful manufacturer under the bus if they'll only give the rest of us a pass? How long does he suppose that would last? Don't negotiate with terrorists.

Vaping is good. Kids vaping is good too since it means they don't smoke cigarettes. Depriving citizens of the most effective smoking cessation technology is bad. Money from the tobacco settlement earmarked for anti-smoking should go to Juul and other domestic manufacturers and distributors as a reward for promoting this lifesaving technology, and as a gesture of contrition for damaging their businesses with bad legislation.
A tirade in defense of JUUL huh? BT bought. Creator of the whole kids vaping thing that is driving all this mess. Creator of the protonated nicotines they marketed as “salt”. The company people have been jumping ship frantically from because it’s been clear for weeks they are going completely down.

Not gonna happen. JUUL is one of the worst things that ever happened to vaping.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London

Your desire to see more people dead isn't so secret anymore.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Your desire to see more people dead isn't so secret anymore.
I know. That's why I said it. Don't get me wrong, it's sad when people die. But I'm not responsible for ignorant decisions. It's Darwinist. We all know that vaping made our lives better. A nice hobby, a healthier body. When a kid says he only did what we do, we know he's lying, and those people who got sick f'd the whole thing up. Do you have sympathy? I don't.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
From 0 to 10 Million: Vaping Takes Off in the U.S.

Vaping numbers from a year ago.

I agree that JUUL is a significant player in making vaping acceptable to the masses. We have been a grassroots community for 10 years and government has ignored us for the most part.

People hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I think they are finally realizing that vaping slowly reduces the numbers of smokers through the transition to vaping and that makes us more and more acceptable. Vaping doesn't stink up the air, reduces the number of cigarette butts thrown on the ground, and reduces the number of smokers. What's not to love?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread