The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ban Juul, not vaping

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by iVapeDIY, Oct 7, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. iVapeDIY

iVapeDIY Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/ban-juul-not-vaping-electronic-cigarette/

A ‘Juul ban’ makes more sense

A return to limited availability of e-cigarette products seems like a smart move and one that does the least amount of harm. Data was already showing before Juul’s rise that traditional tobacco use was decreasing as e-cigarette use increased. Recent health crises aside, there isn’t much evidence to suggest that vaping isn’t a healthier alternative to tobacco use in some way.

By limiting e-juice and e-cigarette availability to specialty shops, it will become far more difficult for these products to end up in the hands of our youth. While the evidence is anecdotal, such a system worked well for years. Industry groups have long pushed shops to card customers, and many prohibit minors from entering their stores at all.

It might also be prudent to ban pod systems altogether, too. Yes, it would be inconvenient for those of us who might not want to fill a tank or change a wick or coil. But if the other option is a flavor ban that will likely only push vapers back to smoking, it might be a worthwhile alternative.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Deer Camp
    A Juul ban would accomplish precisely nothing. Oh, sure, it would put the company out of business, but if that's the product people want (and the market says it is), someone will step in to fill the void, legal or not. You can already buy blatantly counterfeit Juul pods, and Juul "compatible" devices and pods are available as well. Juul's pod/device interface may very well turn into the new 510...

• Agree Agree x 14
  3. Jazzman

Jazzman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    The problem with a slippery slope like this is that it's... slippery.

By eliminating the largest vaping product manufacturer entirely, currently listed as 70% of the CS market and 30% of the entire vaping market, is that slowly picking off the rest of the manufacturers becomes much, much easier since the smaller manufacturers/retailers would not be able to afford a reasonable defense. And that would surely be the end game for politicians in today's nicotine war climate.

Bad, bad idea from the outset.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    I think we should ban people, especially those we (whoever we is) disagree with or know to be spreading false information or those that cave to unsubstantiated claims, or ,,, or,,,

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. brad-man

brad-man Senior Member

Mar 22, 2019
    So Florida
    I think we should ban poorly considered, knee-jerk reactionary bans. Wait. Ban the ban, was that a Kid Rock song?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. mgordon1100

mgordon1100 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2011
    A, A
    Has anyone noticed that the illnesses have ceased being reported on, that the handful would appear to be it? Has anyone else linked this to possibly bad carts just sprinkled into the black market, enough to create a panic by sacrificing a few for the bigger picture?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tabac man

Tabac man Super Member

May 24, 2019
    London
    Best conspiracy theory I ever heard was Jackie Kennedy reached over and shot JFK in the throat.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Numbers are still growing though. Another possibility is that understanding is growing that buying a cartridge of brown goo out of the back of some dudes pants he claims is “drugs” isn’t the healthiest move.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Deer Camp
    I've forgotten which thread I read it in, but the story was that the market for "carts" is not what it used to be. Basically, hardly anyone wants 'em right now. It seems consumers are being prudent.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. mgordon1100

May 24, 2011
    A, A
    Good point. As long as I'm aware on how to make my juice the way I want it, and have the equipment to last, i secretly want to see this epidemic rise. After they remove the "cause", and see death tolls rise, people will then realize how stupid they are. OK, not such a secret anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    You and BT. Wouldn’t matter. The infrastructure would be gone and all there would be is iQOS. The barely less worse option than actually smoking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Deer Camp
    Since the obvious lessons from a decades-long the war on (some) drugs have been ignored, I wouldn't count on this fixing the stupidity either.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mgordon1100

May 24, 2011
    A, A
    Back to basics. We'll mix our own, supply each other, just like the old days. They all don't even know how it started with underground vapers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    Yeah i thought that might be possible .

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mrrythm1

mrrythm1 Full Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Willis, TX

16. GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq Self-Proclaimed Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd say that the US regulators, government officials and media outlets are terrorist conspirators in the most literal sense of the word. They intentionally created a panic to protect their financial interests. And this author empowers them by offering to throw the largest and most successful manufacturer under the bus if they'll only give the rest of us a pass? How long does he suppose that would last? Don't negotiate with terrorists.

Vaping is good. Kids vaping is good too since it means they don't smoke cigarettes. Depriving citizens of the most effective smoking cessation technology is bad. Money from the tobacco settlement earmarked for anti-smoking should go to Juul and other domestic manufacturers and distributors as a reward for promoting this lifesaving technology, and as a gesture of contrition for damaging their businesses with bad legislation.

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  17. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    A tirade in defense of JUUL huh? BT bought. Creator of the whole kids vaping thing that is driving all this mess. Creator of the protonated nicotines they marketed as “salt”. The company people have been jumping ship frantically from because it’s been clear for weeks they are going completely down.

Not gonna happen. JUUL is one of the worst things that ever happened to vaping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Tabac man

Tabac man Super Member

May 24, 2019
    London
    Your desire to see more people dead isn't so secret anymore.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. mgordon1100

May 24, 2011
    A, A
    I know. That's why I said it. Don't get me wrong, it's sad when people die. But I'm not responsible for ignorant decisions. It's Darwinist. We all know that vaping made our lives better. A nice hobby, a healthier body. When a kid says he only did what we do, we know he's lying, and those people who got sick f'd the whole thing up. Do you have sympathy? I don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    From 0 to 10 Million: Vaping Takes Off in the U.S.

Vaping numbers from a year ago.

I agree that JUUL is a significant player in making vaping acceptable to the masses. We have been a grassroots community for 10 years and government has ignored us for the most part.

People hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I think they are finally realizing that vaping slowly reduces the numbers of smokers through the transition to vaping and that makes us more and more acceptable. Vaping doesn't stink up the air, reduces the number of cigarette butts thrown on the ground, and reduces the number of smokers. What's not to love?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1