Banned? Help!! I have been out of the loop....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auntie3x

Sep 9, 2019
I just recently joined this community and have been reading the forums and I am scared! I live in Northern California, NOT San Francisco. I started vaping back in 2013 and quit cigarettes for good! I use Nautilus tanks and coils, Eleaf batteries (purchased on Ebay) and J-vapes out of Arizona. I have had no problems or warnings about getting these products. I use flavored tobaccos so I am not worried about a flavor ban....but what does this mean? I have just been vaping, oblivious to any problems or bans. Are all vaping products going to be banned? Will I not be able to purchase my items from Ebay or J-vapes anymore? Can someone please fill this out of touch person in with the latest news and what I should do? HELP!!!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Here is the thing you need to worry about. Hardware. Mods, tanks, coils.

Most vape dealers/store cannot stay in business without hefty liquid sales. Most of their liquids are about to be banned. End result most dealers/stores will not be able to stay in business. I say most because I think if any can survive it will be those backed by big tobacco ie Juul, blu etc.

If I were you I would learn what I needed to know about mechanical mods and rebuildable tanks/attys. How to build and use them safely (THIS IS CRITICAL). Buy several of both. Then I would learn how to make my own liquid and stock up on the liquid nicotine in specific as that is the choke point. Everything else in liquid will not become impossible to get. You can learn all of these things right here on ECF.

Failing that pray someone survives and you find their gear/liquids tolerable.

Auntie3x

Sep 9, 2019
Okay, so the big thing is flavor bans. If the flavor is banned, the mods and coils and such will not be banned but be impossible to find because the manufactures won't be able to afford to make them anymore? I guess I have a lot of studying to do on this website. Could you post some reference threads for me please? I am too old for this crap! I do not want to smoke again!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Okay, so the big thing is flavor bans. If the flavor is banned, the mods and coils and such will not be banned but be impossible to find because the manufactures won't be able to afford to make them anymore? I guess I have a lot of studying to do on this website. Could you post some reference threads for me please? I am too old for this crap! I do not want to smoke again!
The stores that sell the hardware won't be able to stay in business. Without sellers can the manufacturers stay in business? I don't know.

We also have about 9 months before deeming is enforced and that could take EVERYTHING off the market.

I no longer have my links to the specific threads I used to learn 6 years ago (massive computer fail deleted all of them). the DIY sections of the forums would help in DIY liquid. Searching the forum for battery safety should get you going on understnading how not to push your batteries to the danger point when rebuilding. Then on youtube you can look up build videos for the specific attys you buy.

The big thing is NEVER to come even close to the sustained AMP limit for your specific battery. SO you must build you coil to be below that. An online Ohms law calculator can do the math for you on that.

Auntie3x

Sep 9, 2019
At this point nobody knows what the FDA will eventually do with it regulations. So far they are only talking about banning flavored e-cigarettes. But really nobody can say what they will ban at this point.
I am so scared because I do not know anything about building mods or making eliquid....i just buy my parts on ebay and go about my business.

Auntie3x

Sep 9, 2019
The stores that sell the hardware won't be able to stay in business. Without sellers can the manufacturers stay in business? I don't know.

We also have about 9 months before deeming is enforced and that could take EVERYTHING off the market.

I no longer have my links to the specific threads I used to learn 6 years ago (massive computer fail deleted all of them). the DIY sections of the forums would help in DIY liquid. Searching the forum for battery safety should get you going on understnading how not to push your batteries to the danger point when rebuilding. Then on youtube you can look up build videos for the specific attys you buy.

The big thing is NEVER to come even close to the sustained AMP limit for your specific battery. SO you must build you coil to be below that. An online Ohms law calculator can do the math for you on that.
Sorry, this is all greek to me, I am so confused!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I am so scared because I do not know anything about building mods or making eliquid....i just buy my parts on ebay and go about my business.
I know how it feels. I felt that way when I started vaping too. 2 weeks after all the stuff about deeming started. I panicked. Then I started searching ECF, YOUTUBE and the net in general. I did my homeworks and learned. The info is out there. It is more crap than I really wanted to deal with but it is unfortunately necessary at this point. IF I can learn it as the old lady I am so can you.

Take a deep breath and dive in. This is your health we are trying to save here.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Your local brick & mortar vape shop makes almost all its money from e-liquid sales. The American government is proposing to ban flavored e-liquid sales, with the exception of tobacco flavors. That means many of the neighborhood vape shops could go out of business. The hardware is mostly manufactured in China (previous legislation killed all the made-in-USA hardware) for sale internationally, so it will still be available. You'll probably just have to buy online.

So what you should expect is for all the good tasting pre-mixed e-liquids to become unavailable. Locally, you should still be able to buy some (probably terrible) tobacco flavors as well as unflavored. And you'll no doubt be able to separately buy totally-non-vaping-related-flavor-shots-for-your-*cough*-club-soda-or-whatever.

• Useful
Reactions: gerrymi

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Sorry, this is all greek to me, I am so confused!
Batteries have a continuous amp limit. If you exceed it very bad things happen. When you build a coil you litterally make a coil out of Kanthal wire. How you make that coil determines its resistance (how many winds of what diameter with what diameter wire). Batteries put out 4.2 volts when fully charged (18650 batteries that is). the volts and resistance determines the Amps needed to fire that coil safely by Ohms law. So Basically you use an online Ohms law calculator and put in the resistance of the coil and 4.2 volts and see what the Amps work out to. Then make sure that number is well below the continuous discharge for your battery.

this is the one I use as it is designed for vaping Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Your local brick & mortar vape shop makes almost all its money from e-liquid sales. The American government is proposing to ban flavored e-liquid sales, with the exception of tobacco flavors. That means many of the neighborhood vape shops could go out of business. The hardware is mostly manufactured in China (previous legislation killed all the made-in-USA hardware) for sale internationally, so it will still be available. You'll probably just have to buy online.

So what you should expect is for all the good tasting pre-mixed e-liquids to become unavailable. Locally, you should still be able to buy some (probably terrible) tobacco flavors as well as unflavored. And you'll no doubt be able to separately buy totally-non-vaping-related-flavor-shots-for-your-*cough*-club-soda-or-whatever.
I think you are overly optimistic.

When the deeming is enforced in 9 months you will not be able to order hardware and it will likely be seized at customs if you try as it was years ago before Sotera got vaping back for us.

If you are willing to take that risk go ahead. I am not. I have been setting myself up for vape independence for the last 6+ years. I am set.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

So far they are only indicating that they will ban flavors other than Tobacco flavor. So candy, fruit, menthol, etc. They are indicating that tobacco flavor will be allowed. But as stated nobody at this point knows.

As for hardware, who knows long range. But I doubt even if banned that places like fasttech located in China would stop shipping hardware, coils etc. They already label the customs form as metal part or electronic part. So if actually banned they would probably not care and you would just risk losing it to customs if they caught it (not likely)

Ejuice is easy to make or since they aren't currently including tobacco or non flavored in their current ban. You could get unflavored nicotine ejuice and put in your own flavors. Most flavors are also used for food and beverage use so there is really would be hard to impossible to ban most of them. Nicotine is the one item that they could ban that would cause the most problem.

Auntie3x

Sep 9, 2019
I know how it feels. I felt that way when I started vaping too. 2 weeks after all the stuff about deeming started. I panicked. Then I started searching ECF, YOUTUBE and the net in general. I did my homeworks and learned. The info is out there. It is more crap than I really wanted to deal with but it is unfortunately necessary at this point. IF I can learn it as the old lady I am so can you.

Take a deep breath and dive in. This is your health we are trying to save here.
Thank you so much....I will start doing research on Youtube and this website and stocking up on tanks and coils

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Thank you so much....I will start doing research on Youtube and this website and stocking up on tanks and coils
Make sure you pick up REBUILDABLE tanks and learn to make coils for them. Also don't forget Mods. The ones you have will not last forever.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Many of us vets saw this coming a few years ago because of the FDA Deeming Regulations, and have been preparing for the worse case scenario. It's just happened to occur a year or two earlier than we thought it would. We own a (1) mechanical mod, (2) learned to make coils for an RBA, and (3) learned how to make our own e-juice. You've got a lot of catching up to do.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
Information Resources for Your First RBA
Explain it to the Vape Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

General E-Liquid Discussion read all threads pertaining to DIY

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013