Banned? Help!! I have been out of the loop....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I'm doing that as I sit here while digging for more stock up related info and reply to alerts. I have 5 vape related pages open, alongside various other e-shopping sites for pet stuff, household stuff, etc., seriously, I'm indeed stress shopping!
You are not alone! I am stocked but the stress got me LOL

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I’m an oldish white haired lady and I have heard a vape store clerk talking to a new customer & using me as an example of how anyone can learn to build. Ha!
It seemed overwhelming to me at first but there’s so much online info and nice people who are good at explaining things and willing to share information, as you’ve seen on this thread.
Now I just gotta figure out the DIY e-liquid part. I ordered a starter kit from Nicotine River but I know I’ll need to stock
Stock liquid Nic. Get a lifetime supply and keep it in the freezer. The rest of the stuff for making liquid will always be available.

Glinda

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
United States
I’m an oldish white haired lady and I have heard a vape store clerk talking to a new customer & using me as an example of how anyone can learn to build. Ha!
It seemed overwhelming to me at first but there’s so much online info and nice people who are good at explaining things and willing to share information, as you’ve seen on this thread.
Now I just gotta figure out the DIY E-liquid part. I ordered a starter kit from Nicotine River but I know I’ll need to stock

I'm the opposite- I learned to make e-liquid a few years ago, and if I can do that, you'll be aces in no time, promise! I just didn't make time to learn the rebuilding part when I believe I should have. I have all of the components I need though, so that's a start, right? Trouble is, I got stuck in the Nautilus bvc stage, and although I have the info needed to rebuild those coils, I've yet to try it. I also have a couple mini Melos with a back stock of 10 rebuildable coils, and I haven't played with those either. I've honestly been intimidated, but your post is an inspiration. I'm going to start fiddling with those this weekend. Thank you!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Old stand by stock up list-

Essentials:
Nic
RTA's/RDA's
Replaceable batt mods
Wire or pre wrapped coils

DIY list
PG/VG
flavors
get these things after you get the essentials
If you just want a roll of Kanthal wire rather than the fancy stuff or prewound coils then that will be simple to get even after a full out ban.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
When the deeming is enforced in 9 months
May 11 is the drop-dead date. That's a bit less than eight months from now.

you will not be able to order hardware and it will likely be seized at customs if you try as it was years ago before Sotera got vaping back for us.
I do not think that is correct. There is nothing in the Tobacco Control Act that empowers the FDA to restrict anything that is made or imported for personal use. I believe it would take a new act of Congress to make that happen, and while I'm not ruling out that Congress might act, the way things currently stand, individuals should still be able to order hardware. The fact that it's now a "tobacco product" (thanks to Sottera v. FDA) still gives us a little bit of protection.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Me and my wife are switching back to cigarettes.
So you're going to let them win?

I know it's not healthy but there's nothing I can do.
Of course there's something you can do. Start by setting aside the defeatist attitude and make a plan, then execute that plan. You still have some time left. Get it done!

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
By total coincidence I'd just gotten organized on stocking up again right before the hysteria hit.

I already make my own liquid and I had just started up again on stocking up on nicotine, once I had to admit that I have to pay (a lot) more to get it in smaller containers since my bum hands can't deal safely with liters. I'm compromising right now by getting 500 ml and then breaking that down into smaller bottles for freezing and mixing. It's way easier for me to pre-make a base liquid and then just add flavors, and the easiest way for that is having nicotine in small enough bottles that I can use the whole bottle to make one batch.

I always have at least 3 flavors in use since I get easily bored, so I'd already standardized my hardware. Due to the same hand problems, I just can't (really, I've tried - please don't argue) make my own coils. Fastech sells the ones I need in a package of 20 for a fairly reasonable price.

The hard part is carving out a budget space so I can just keep buying more nicotine and coils every month.

Edited to add that looking at the amounts in my signature again I've already saved a year's income, so I just need to cut out all other discretionary spending for awhile.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
May 11 is the drop-dead date. That's a bit less than eight months from now.

I do not think that is correct. There is nothing in the Tobacco Control Act that empowers the FDA to restrict anything that is made or imported for personal use. I believe it would take a new act of Congress to make that happen, and while I'm not ruling out that Congress might act, the way things currently stand, individuals should still be able to order hardware. The fact that it's now a "tobacco product" (thanks to Sottera v. FDA) still gives us a little bit of protection.
Thanks for the correction on the date.

As for the second part. The way things are going I am not willing to trust that we will still be able to get hardware.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If something can Not be Legally Sold in a US Market, isn't that Kinda the whole purpose of Customs?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I don't use that much nic, so one liter I figure will last me over 15 years, if it holds up. My present stash I let sit at room temperature for 3 months before freezing it and it's starting a to yellow a bit after 2 more years. So I will be grabbing a fresh bottle of high grade nic sometime soon here for long term...

My method making juice is very easy. I don't use high flavor amounts except when making small vape pen juice so most base I premix 300 ml at a time in a condiment (clear ketchup) bottle from Dollar Tree. I fill to marks I made with PG and VG and then, for my 1 ml/mg, add 3 ml 100 mg nic. I then fill 30 ml glass bottles to about 25 ml for shake room. This makes each small drop of flavoring about .1% . I use a little as 5 drops per bottle depending on recipe. The only hard part is the number of flavor and juice bottles I've accumulated ... it definitely can become a "hobby". Note that flavoring is CHEAP.

A lot of people recommend a mechanical mod for the Vapapocolypse due to their simplicity. I bought a cheap one and actually my experience was it lasted the shortest time of any mod I've owned. If all my regulated/adjustable mods die, I'll use the old 510 socket to make a mech when that happens.

Batteries have a continuous amp limit. If you exceed it very bad things happen. When you build a coil you litterally make a coil out of Kanthal wire. How you make that coil determines its resistance (how many winds of what diameter with what diameter wire). Batteries put out 4.2 volts when fully charged (18650 batteries that is). the volts and resistance determines the Amps needed to fire that coil safely by Ohms law. So Basically you use an online Ohms law calculator and put in the resistance of the coil and 4.2 volts and see what the Amps work out to. Then make sure that number is well below the continuous discharge for your battery.

this is the one I use as it is designed for vaping Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Whether you push your batteries or not, the coil for a mech has to be calibrated to what batteries put out. The power it draws and the power it needs must coincide. It's not really difficult but quite inconvenient, and I would recommend learning to use rebuildables and make coils with an adjustable power source first.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    I don't think customs is very effective at stopping things coming in. Especially in small mail packets. USPS packages are shipped from China and other places with customs forms on them that most time do not match up with what is inside. USPS takes it to a customs clearance facility and then delivers it afterwards. It seems to hit the front door of the Customs facility and get handed back to USPS without much actual checking of any kind.

Lots of contraband comes in this way.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    No, not really. Customs exists primarily to collect import duties.

OK...

But that still Leave the small issue of Customs Interception/Seizing packages that contain items that can Not be Legally Sold in a US Market.

If they See it, You aint getting it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    OK...

But that still Leave the small issue of Customs Interception/Seizing packages that contain items that can Not be Legally Sold in a US Market.

If they See it, You aint getting it.
    If you're importing it for personal use, it is not being sold in the US market.

But even if they wanted to, do you really think Customs can check all the thousands of small parcels coming into the US to see if that "flashlight" might be a mod, or those "machined parts" might be an atty?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If you're importing it for personal use, it is not being sold in the US market.

But even if they wanted to, do you really think Customs can check all the thousands of small parcels coming into the US to see if that "flashlight" might be a mod, or those "machined parts" might be an atty?

Customs can Only check a Small Percentage of what comes into the USA. But I'm sure they will Target the High Volume shippers like FT.

And you would be Surprised how Many small packages can be X-Ray in an Hour.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Fasttech sells thousands of non vape items.....We know them for vape items. It may be good percent of business for them but I doubt customs will target them because of the myriad of electronic items they sell.

You may be able to x-ray a lot of items in an hour but it adds to the log jam and is expensive. Is it worth the trouble to them?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    And you would be Surprised how Many small packages can be X-Ray in an Hour.
    We shall see.

Here's the thing: I'm set for a lifetime with both hardware and essential consumables. But if I wasn't, I would prioritize the essential consumables over hardware. I think it's a lot easier to restrict the consumables than the hardware, and they will focus on the low-hanging fruit first.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread