Barns N Noble and what they told me about their policies about E-cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctherus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
California
I dont know about you, but a good book and a nice vape sure is a hell of a great day. So me being curious I decide to call up a local Barns N Noble and ask them. When I asked the gentlemen on the phone if the use of electronic cigarettes was allowed in the building, he went "electronic....cigarettes?" like he has never seen overpriced E-cig kits at mall kiosks. He quickly transferred me to his manager.

The manager picked up and explained to me that they have no corporate policies over E-cigarettes. They as management could technically not do anything about it, or atleast, based on customer reaction and/or complaints from situation to situation. I then asked if I quietly kept to myself and sat in my corner with a book and a started vaping, would I be alright to do so. He said it would be fine as long as customers werent complaining about what is going on, and since it is a grey zone, it really is just based on how other customers take it.

I just thought I would share my experience with you all today because I am sure I am not the only one here who enjoys going there.

Doberz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
NW Indiana
www.facebook.com
I hope this comes off as un-rude as possible.. But I really don't get people that strive to vap in public places? I mean, as smokers we weren't able to smoke everywhere we wanted. And 99% of us just took it for granted. I know vaping isn't really harmful to those around us, but it still confuses people because the general public really has no idea what an e-cig is. For that fact, I only really vap were I can smoke. Or I'll take a quick puff and hold it in if I'm at a concert, ballpark, public restroom, etc. I would feel just odd puffing away while reading at Barnes N Noble. And would expect someone to eventually get in my face about it, lol

Arctherus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
California
Oh I totally agree. Totally understandable. I wouldnt expect people to be blowing plums of vapor while in a coffee shop. lol. There is a certain line between getting a simple fix and just puffing yourself into a cloud. Its just an incredibly nice convenience to be able to vape and not have to leave the comfort of an inside area. Honestly if a facility had a patio or something along that lines where I would still be able to read a book or whatever else Im there for, I would sure as ever go and do that.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Until two weeks ago when I was laid off, I worked for the last ten years printing books. I would think that whatever residue was left from vaping would not be bear as bad as what gets on the books while being printed, bound and trimmed. Never never never let a child chew on a book. If you saw what I saw.

Stormiefury

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Wylie, TX
I have to agree with Doberz. I don't see the point in trying to vape in public places. To me if feels like I'm asking for it. I like that I can vape in my own home but that's as far as I go for indoors. I don't want to push it with other peeps. Even though I quit and I'm super proud of myself I don't see any reason to treat my vaping any different than when I smoked in public. But that's just me. I am a very shy person in public and I don't like to do anything that brings attention to myself.

Stormie:angel:

kickitback

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2009
NC
try to see it that way,
Many people have no idea what vaping/E-cigs are, to them you are smoking and not only that but you doing it of a weird device that may look like something worse then cigarettes . Lots of people will have a problem with it and will make your experience a crappy one. I always stealth vape or wait till i get to my car/home/places i can peacefully vape.
I am no vaping/nic junky and can wait for a better time to do it.
I think that eventually e-cigs will be more popular and people will learn its not a bad thing and will accept it but until it happens I try to be respectful and away from wrong attention.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
In some situations I do go outside to smoke, but I am not standing in the smoking area to vape. #1 I do not like the smell any more and my family and friends are happy I do not smell like smoke anymore. I have a friend that still smokes in their house - I had no idea before what my daughter and wife were complaining about before, but now I can smell it. #2 as long as we continue to vape with the smokers then we will be associated with them in the non smokers / non vapers eyes. I truly believe this is different. I am getting nicotine, but I am not generating smoke and the other things associated with them.

I also vape inside at times, but unless I am in my house I do not blow out huge plumes of vapor in public. I take smaller vapes and exhale down. From a distance - a person cannot tell the difference between vapor or smoke - for them it is the smell. I have been challenged on a couple of occasions. I challenged back - do you smell smoke? They saw the vapor. I then show and explain the PV. All have withdrawn their complaints and I have actually had a couple tell me good luck.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Honestly, until we have good studies saying that the stuff we exhale doesn't harm others, I don't feel comfortable foisting my "second hand vapor" on others.

The argument of "it's just water vapor" is flawed. It's PG vapor, nic vapor, VG vapor, and water vapor. The only one we know is safe, really really safe, is water vapor. (People have PG allergies, VG is a complete unknown, and nic is not something everyone wants inside of their lungs).

Yes, I think it's safer. Yes, I don't think I'm hurting myself nearly as much as when I smoked. But I cannot say that the vapor I exhale is 100% safe with 100% certainty, and therefore I won't vape around others who don't vape. Even outside, I blow the vapor away from friends I'm walking with. If I was a non-vaper non-smoker, I certainly wouldn't want clouds of SOMETHING in my lungs. I think it's only courteous.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
The world worries so much about second hand smoke and being exposed to the carcinogens that are known to cause cancer (and I agree it is bad - smelling at least if not also health related), but no one stops driving their cars. Okay, if you are closed in a room with 30 smokers for one hour you will come out coughing, gagging, and you may even get sick from it. But try the same thing with your car that you love so much - you will not walk out and it will not take an hour either before you succumb...

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
The argument of "it's just water vapor" is flawed. It's PG vapor, nic vapor, VG vapor, and water vapor. The only one we know is safe, really really safe, is water vapor. (People have PG allergies, VG is a complete unknown, and nic is not something everyone wants inside of their lungs).

Really when is the last time you had your water tested. My understanding is that more than half of the water in this country is unsafe to drink. More than likely the other ingredients are just as safe or safer.

As for vaping in public why not? Other peoples ignorance doesn't seem like a very persuasive reason.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just look at where things are headed with smoking bans...

--No smoking in a public park
--No smoking in your car with a child present
--No smoking anywhere in the vicinity of a school
--No smoking anywhere in the vicinity of a hospital
--No smoking anywhere in the vicinity of a government facility
--No smoking anywhere on the grounds of any government run housing
--No smoking in your own home if it is government run housing

This is why we should not allow them to treat us like smokers.

I'm not saying to act like you can blow out clouds of vaper everywhere and anywhere, because that might do more harm than good.
But I am saying that silent consent to be pushed around and treated unfairly will only lead to more of the same.

Personally, I believe that everyone around me should THANK me for purifying their air for them.
But while I truly believe that, I try not to act like it is my right to purify their air for them.
:)

sanjosse

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
San Jose, CA
Personally, I believe that everyone around me should THANK me for purifying their air for them.
But while I truly believe that, I try not to act like it is my right to purify their air for them.
:)

I agree. Once, while boarding a plane that was using vapor to cleanse the air before takeoff, my 10 year old son turns to me and says, "look dad, the plane is vaping!". I then explain why they are using the vapor. He then says, "So, where ever we go, and you vape, means that YOU are cleaning the air too", he paused, then said, "that's cool, thanks dad!".

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Have you been to a dance club in a while?? They fill the dance floor with fog. Fog is pg and water. I have seen it at many clubs and my son at college says its in all of them...

Yes. I didn't say PG was a killer, just said that people have reactions to it. People have reactions to the stage fog used in clubs, as well as in plays. Difference is, people make a conscious decision to enter a club, their own decision. If I start vaping in a room full of non-vapers, they aren't being informed and aren't making a decision. If I politely asked folks around me if they minded if I vaped, then it'd be fine.

The world worries so much about second hand smoke and being exposed to the carcinogens that are known to cause cancer (and I agree it is bad - smelling at least if not also health related), but no one stops driving their cars. Okay, if you are closed in a room with 30 smokers for one hour you will come out coughing, gagging, and you may even get sick from it. But try the same thing with your car that you love so much - you will not walk out and it will not take an hour either before you succumb...

Again, not saying vapor is the same as car exhaust, just saying that I don't want to expose people to something that they haven't chosen to be exposed to.

Really when is the last time you had your water tested. My understanding is that more than half of the water in this country is unsafe to drink. More than likely the other ingredients are just as safe or safer.

As for vaping in public why not? Other peoples ignorance doesn't seem like a very persuasive reason.

I'd like to see a report about half the water in the US being unsafe to drink....haven taken classes in municipal water treatment I know that water treatment facilities are held to strict guidelines and do rigorous testing. Could you imagine the lawsuits otherwise?

In any case, drinking tap water vs. bottled water vs. water you distill yourself is, again, a personal decision. I am not saying vaping is bad, or that vapor is toxic. I am just saying that a) we don't have rigorous studies that prove that e-cig vapor is safe to inhale and b) putting out clouds of vapor that other people then breathe in without first getting their consent is discourteous.

Look, I like vaping. I don't want to see it banned or shunned either. But I think a lot of people delude themselves, confusing the statements "it's safer than smoking" with "it's safe".

Flying W

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
CFH,Tx.
That is very cool. I will be sure to remember that next time I feel like shopping at a bookstore. Thats being fair,and thats all . Public Vaping 101 - Vape but be curtious .

I dont know about you, but a good book and a nice vape sure is a hell of a great day. So me being curious I decide to call up a local Barns N Noble and ask them. When I asked the gentlemen on the phone if the use of electronic cigarettes was allowed in the building, he went "electronic....cigarettes?" like he has never seen overpriced E-cig kits at mall kiosks. He quickly transferred me to his manager.

The manager picked up and explained to me that they have no corporate policies over E-cigarettes. They as management could technically not do anything about it, or atleast, based on customer reaction and/or complaints from situation to situation. I then asked if I quietly kept to myself and sat in my corner with a book and a started vaping, would I be alright to do so. He said it would be fine as long as customers werent complaining about what is going on, and since it is a grey zone, it really is just based on how other customers take it.

I just thought I would share my experience with you all today because I am sure I am not the only one here who enjoys going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread