Being an Ambassador

Status
Not open for further replies.

rage

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Vapetastic.com
It's been so weird since I started vaping. The amount of people who have asked me about it have been many.

One reason I think is that it looks nothing like an analog. Mines a stainless steel 510 with a blue led and a white cart.

I've never seen anyone vape in public. When I'm out I'm the only one doing it. It can feel kind of weird, I get a lot of looks. I was out at a restaurant with one of my buddies and I took a puff and someone from across the bar yelled "What? Is he doing magic down there?". I had a good laugh and showed him it.

The general feeling I get is people are intrigued by it, and generally like it. They want to know how much they cost (and they all think initially that they cost more than analogs), they constantly think you only use them to quite smoking all together (although I point out it's also an alternative to smoking analogs).

I've already converted a friend from analogs to a PV (your welcome cignot he just ordered today). I have another friend who's going to order after Christmas.

I'm wondering how many others get this? Although I have been vaping for less than a week I have spread more knowledge about PV's then I ever thought I would in such a short time.

I feel like an ambassador.

ruready

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Eastpointe, MI
I've been vaping a little over a month and I feel like I'm a walking billboard. Everyone notices and asks about it. I've given all my cards out for cignot and vapor station that I have. I've converted a few and that makes me feel great. I was a smoker over 30yrs and once I got my 510, that was it for me. Haven't had an analog since.

soylent

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
cincy, oh
in my 3+ months of vaping, I've converted 3 friends and introduced over two dozen to my world. Ambassador is a great word.

I always have to explain the +/- of the whole thing and where to go to get what you need. The first comments are always "I've heard of SE or Blu...." and you have to train them out of the cage.

Though I don't mind at all as long as the person is actually interested. I HATE when a friend tries to get me to push a PV on a smoker who is happy doing what they're doing. They won't listen and I'm not a preacher. Do what you do, and if you want to know what I do, I'm happy to share.

I do think we need some badges though. :D

epluribus_vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I think "Ambassador" is a great term. As a friend pointed out, e-cigs are mostly a "word of mouth" thing right now. I have yet to see a vaper out in the wild (one that I don't work with), but working at a military installation, we went from 0 vapers to now ~60 in 3 months... so ambassadors are doing a great job of informing the masses!

billo

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Wesley Chapel, FL
My experience showing my PV to smokers has been an almost total negative response.

I've probably had 60 people ask about it. When they ask what it costs, I tell them about $50 to start with a good pair and some juice, and that usually ends the conversation.
Even after I tell them the cost is under $1 a day to replace my 1-1/2 pack a day habit.
These smokers don't think long term. $4 for a pack every day suits them fine. Even though it adds up to over $1000 per year.

Three people have asked to take a drag on my PV. They all reacted with a grimmace
and said it tasted terrible. ( They were inhaling Kent with some light menthol from my 510. To me, this is the closest I can get to a cigarette taste.)

I could go on about close friends and relatives, but it's all the same result.

Most smokers will SAY they want to quit, but are not serious. If they're not serious they may say," why should I trade one addiction for another ?"

Also, after about 6 months I have NEVER seen another person vaping !

I really have to wonder if the cigarette companies have anything to worry about.

I know that lots of you have written about good experiences as an ambassador, but
I've just about given up !

rage

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Vapetastic.com
@billio
Sorry to hear that. I've had only one person kind of blow me off so far, but he was really drunk and was being a jerk. I'm just pretty good talking to people.

I've thought of getting some cards made with some info (like websites to order from and what you'd need to start). I mean lots of people I have met have been at bars, so you just never know how jacked up someone is.

I'm personally finding out that it is immensely cheaper than I even initially anticipated. I MIGHT finish my first 10ml bottle this week, which meant I only spent $5 to smoke this week (vs at least $35). I'm now dreading thinking about how much ejuice I'll have rolling in the next few days (about 140ml). Yup I'm set for a few months. lol

Chriss

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Chicago Area
I'm on a bowling league and go out with the smokers in between games. Most of them are curious and ask me about it so I give them the run down. I do always tell them that it has worked great for me, but it is a personal choice and commitment and I would never try to push someone into it. When I decided to start vaping, I knew I wanted to get off of analogs - period. Not vaping was not an option for me, but many people are happy smoking and don't want to try it. That's fine with me. All I can do is pass along my knowledge. Luckily, I have never had anyone give me grief about it, saying that I'm stupid for doing it, or anything like that. I would have a problem with that!
Maybe I'll have a tee-shirt made up...Ask me about VAPING. ;)

just-cass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2009
ireland
pinkvaper.com
A pack of analogs in Maryland/DC/Silver Spring is usually over $6.50 so its easier for smokers to be open for ANYTHING cheaper then their current habit. lol

20 cigarettes in ireland is 8.50 euro....bout 10usd a pack...thats 70usd a week for me...i broke even after less than a week with a months supply of juice!!!!at 2 weeks now ive saved 70usd already!!!! :D:D:D ive already converted a few...a kit here costs less than a weeks analogs so definitely people are more open to it here...its more about the uncoolness of it i think why my friends wouldnt use it...

tattoo131313

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Belleville IL.
I haven't seen another person using a PV yet.I have explained how they work to co-workers and family but, since I've only vaped at home or in my car, not too many people have seen me use it. I have on occasion "sneaked" a vape in walmart or some other store but, I try not to draw attention to it. So, I haven't really had to answer many questions about vaping since hardly anyone sees me doing it.

Kimber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
Tennessee
I finally saw someone else in the town that I live in using a PV the day after Christmas at a Mexican restaurant. I went over to ask him if they gave him permission to use it because I was going to use mine as well if it was allowed. I believe I scared him as he was speechless at my question. I explained my intentions and he said that he would be more conspicuous about it. He and I vaped the entire time we were there (albeit, sort of stealthily) and no one said a word. It was awesome!

tbl35

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
NPR - FL
These smokers don't think long term. $4 for a pack every day suits them fine. Even though it adds up to over $1000 per year.
A week ago, I would've said "$4 a pack in Pasco County? WHERE WHERE WHERE?!?!" :D Honestly, with the prices doubling in FL in the past few months, I'm surprised you're not getting more interested people. It does take commitment & more time, but so far I'm finding it fun. Also, now that I can smell what smokers smell like (and my car, ugh) it gets less and less appealing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread