• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bible Q & A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
"18 “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will bed bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

What does that mean?

15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

In context, this passage is talking about church discipline and forgiveness. Jesus was instructing his first apostles for their teaching, not establishing a general rule for everyone such as priests. If there is a problem with a believer, you should go to them first. (Remember He had just spoke about the false teaching of the rabbis). If the believer refused to listen, you should speak to them with more than one person (believer) about their teachings. This would establish the required witnesses to show that it wasn't just one person "bashing" another unjustly. If, however, the person STILL wouldn't listen, they were to
bring it to the body of believers. If the person insisted on the false teaching, they were to have nothing to do with them. The apostles themselves had been taught by Jesus Himself. If they felt that it was a false teaching that should not be taught, then they had the authority to squelch it. If they considered the error to be of little importance in the end, then they were probably right.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

In context, this passage is talking about church discipline and forgiveness. Jesus was instructing his first apostles for their teaching, not establishing a general rule for everyone such as priests. If there is a problem with a believer, you should go to them first. (Remember He had just spoke about the false teaching of the rabbis). If the believer refused to listen, you should speak to them with more than one person (believer) about their teachings. This would establish the required witnesses to show that it wasn't just one person "bashing" another unjustly. If, however, the person STILL wouldn't listen, they were to
bring it to the body of believers. If the person insisted on the false teaching, they were to have nothing to do with them. The apostles themselves had been taught by Jesus Himself. If they felt that it was a false teaching that should not be taught, then they had the authority to squelch it. If they considered the error to be of little importance in the end, then they were probably right.

But that verse is a really strange way of saying that, don't you think?

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
"18 “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will bed bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

What does that mean?

'bind' comes from the term 'Asar' - (Semitic term).... The common word for 'tying up' for security and safety, Asar is often used to indicate the tying up of donkeys ( 2 Kings 7:10). Used in an abstract sense, Asar refers to those who are spiritually 'bound'

Binding and loosing - describe the concept that the Church has the authority and means to announce that sin was condemned or forgiven. The Keys to the Kingdom given to Peter was a symbol in locking or unlocking sins and illustrate his authority in binding or loosing (Matthew 16:19). Later (Matthew 18:18) the same authority was given to the Apostles and the Church as a whole. It is not an exclusive gift to any one person or local Church.

Whatever the Church declared to be wrong or right would have been anticipated and ratified in heaven by divine sanction. This means that whatsoever shall have been forgiven on earth shall have been forgiven in heaven. Heaven sets the standard, earth follows heavens' lead.

In John 20:23, Jesus said, " whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them, and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained." This means that the Church is to proclaim the way of salvation and those who accept Him are forgiven, but those who reject Him are condemned.

In essence, this is a type of 'binding' & 'loosing' in the spiritual realms.....

Binding and loosing is determined by the hearers response

(This was 'my' take on it... ) :)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Originally Posted by chimney55

I look at that scripture this way... We can rest assured that no one will ever go before the judgement throne of God and receive an 'unjust' or unrighteous judgement, as there will always be 'witnesses' to establish every offense. This is 'good' news. :)

But that verse is a really strange way of saying that, don't you think?

yup... sure do... ;)

CartHeadMod

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Last edited:

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I just read this excerpt this morning, and I remembered this conversation we were having. This is an interesting interpretation.....

"I encourage you to go to your friends and family and resolve your irreconcilable differences and to forgive one another. You must go to the people who you have hurt and ask for their forgiveness. (Matthew 6:15)

It is written, “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” (Matthew 6:14) If you do not forgive others you will not be able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. For whatever you bind on earth with un-forgiveness will be bound in heaven. (Matthew 16:19)"

CartHeadMod

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I just read this excerpt this morning, and I remembered this conversation we were having. This is an interesting interpretation.....

"I encourage you to go to your friends and family and resolve your irreconcilable differences and to forgive one another. You must go to the people who you have hurt and ask for their forgiveness. (Matthew 6:15)

It is written, “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” (Matthew 6:14) If you do not forgive others you will not be able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. For whatever you bind on earth with un-forgiveness will be bound in heaven. (Matthew 16:19)"

I would consider it a mistake to group Matthew 6 and 16 together....verse 19 clearly doesn't apply to everyone, Jesus was speaking to Peter only.....not even to the other disciples....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread