Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I can't find the link right now, but I remember seeing where Reynolds was either scaling back or reworking their Vuse line of products, due mainly to customer apathy. I'll keep looking, but my sense is that while they'll continue to be the biggest aligator in the swamp, they've still got a long way to go to figure out what the folks at joyetech and Kanger figured out before Vuse was a good idea.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Let them make their Vuse, just like Blu, it's from a company smokers know and trust, and, that is all they need to get off analogs and onto vaping, then they will discover cigalikes are basically junk and, move on to Joytech, Kanger and the other better PV suppliers and, on to better tasting juice.

Meanwhile BT will have a good reason to make sure vaping is kept legal - they are making money off it too. Yeah it's BT and we hate them but, really, they do have the political clout to keep all the good stuff legal and, having their own cigalikes gives them good reason to use that clout in our favor.

Unfettered

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Texas
It seems they would have the resources to fund R&D on the most awesome PV ever and be able to mass produce it and sell it at very low cost (like Provari with half the pricetag or less), but yeah....the device in that video looked pretty lame, comparatively speaking. Seems very odd, because the technology is pretty darn basic.

But the nic juice is where they'll make their money, not the device. And that is what has me concerned. Because the technology is so basic, most anyone with a little knowledge and a few bucks to drop at radio shack can make a mod. BG will never be able to regulate that, I don't think.

But the nicotine.....once they start screwing with that they'll have us by the short and curlies. They can regulate the hell out of that, and they will, so that it favors BT.

I'm honestly surprised that RJ Reynolds is even wasting time on an ecig, tbh. Unless they're trying to come up with some proprietary ecig that one can only use their nic products with. (Don't know how that would be possible, but nothing at all surprises me anymore.) And then miraculously, the FDA will find that their nicotine product is much "safer" and approve it to the exclusion of all others.....

Just thinking about BT AND BG's evil mits in vaping makes me too depressed for words.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Let them make their Vuse, just like Blu, it's from a company smokers know and trust, and, that is all they need to get off analogs and onto vaping, then they will discover cigalikes are basically junk and, move on to Joytech, Kanger and the other better PV suppliers and, on to better tasting juice.

Meanwhile BT will have a good reason to make sure vaping is kept legal - they are making money off it too. Yeah it's BT and we hate them but, really, they do have the political clout to keep all the good stuff legal and, having their own cigalikes gives them good reason to use that clout in our favor.

They are going to keep it legal. That's not what concerns me. They are actively lobbying to ban online sales, require licenses for regulation and so forth so that only the big boys can sell them. BT is not your or my friend.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
It seems they would have the resources to fund R&D on the most awesome PV ever and be able to mass produce it and sell it at very low cost (like Provari with half the pricetag or less), but yeah....the device in that video looked pretty lame, comparatively speaking. Seems very odd, because the technology is pretty darn basic.

But the nic juice is where they'll make their money, not the device. And that is what has me concerned. Because the technology is so basic, most anyone with a little knowledge and a few bucks to drop at radio shack can make a mod. BG will never be able to regulate that, I don't think.

But the nicotine.....once they start screwing with that they'll have us by the short and curlies. They can regulate the hell out of that, and they will, so that it favors BT.

I'm honestly surprised that RJ Reynolds is even wasting time on an ecig, tbh. Unless they're trying to come up with some proprietary ecig that one can only use their nic products with. (Don't know how that would be possible, but nothing at all surprises me anymore.) And then miraculously, the FDA will find that their nicotine product is much "safer" and approve it to the exclusion of all others.....

Just thinking about BT AND BG's evil mits in vaping makes me too depressed for words.

What is going to happen is that the only way you'll be able to vape is to buy pre-filled, tamper-proof nicotine cartromizers, sold by BT. This will be done by invoking the phrase that defeats all reasonable opposition to common sense these days, i.e., "to protect the children".

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
They haven't given up. They just hope to have a viable product before the FDA or congress proposed regulations that will benefit them and likely put the smaller companies out.

I have a friend who works for them. We've had an ongoing conversation about them and their attempts to get into e-cigs. He told me about their recent strategy, and they seem certain they will get favorable legislation.

xan13x

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
USA
As has been said before, this doesn't mean they have seen the error of their ways. It means the cigalike is what they want to lobby into the only thing legal. I hope the only part of this the FDA can regulate is the nicotine, so we can at least still buy real juice without it, and either quit the nic or mix it ourselves.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...the nic juice is where they'll make their money, not the device.
This made me think of current ink jet printers and the replacement ink cartridges. You can pratically buy a new printer for $5o or less, but the dang replacement ink cartridge is $30.

:facepalm:

A co-worker was telling me he visited his son at his dorm room, and was wondering why he had a stack of ink jet printers against the wall. His son said it was cheaper to buy inexpensive printers in bulk than replacement ink cartridges.

Last edited:

dejavoodoo

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2012
denver
I'm guessing they won't bail too soon judging by these numbers:

The e-cigarette industry has enjoyed exponential growth in recent years, rising from sales equivalent to essentially zero traditional "analog" cigarettes annually in 2007, to the equivalent of 600 million analog cigarettes in 2012, to a projected 1.5 billion analog cigarettes replaced this year, according to an April report by Business Insider.com.

BT is bound to be feeling some monetary loss by now.

Here is the link to the article Universal Corp. Forms Liquid Nicotine Joint Venture (UVV)

Unfettered

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Texas
This made me think of current ink jet printers and the replacement ink cartridges. You can pratically buy a new printer for $5o or less, but the dang replacement ink cartridge is $30.

:facepalm:

Exactly. And they're all proprietary. Sure, you can buy knock offs, but ink isn't a controversial substance.

I think the suggestion that they'll create tamper resistant carts is probably spot on. It's an "elegant solution" for them to make nic juice a proprietary product.

I mean, we all know the bottom line is $$....for BG and BT. They don't give a rat's behind about safety. BT wants market control and BG wants to clamp down on it so they can tax it into oblivion.

That is why I'm so torn about so many people switching to vaping. I'm so glad people are saving their health, BUT we draw a whole lot more attention as a community than we did 4 years ago. And there are way more possibilities for someone to do something stupid (building sub ohm coils without any real knowledge and blowing themselves to kingdom come leaps to mind) and turn the eye of Sauron on us full force. The media isn't generally interested in facts, and they aren't going to care that it has nothing to do with the general safety of vaping. They will villainize the entire practice and give the government all the ammo they need to put us squarely back in BT's grip.

I, for one, am fed up with being watched over like a child. Enough is enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread