Another e-cig company merges with big tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor Vinny

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Lawrence, Kansas
I live in a small town an hour away from a medium-sized city that has no vape shops and about 3 hours from the nearest large city with only a couple of vape shops. The only e-cigs sold in my town are blu and some off brand sold at Walgreens. My Walmart doesn't even carry them. I need online sales.
I was operating under the assumption that if BT has their way, you'll find ecigs and pre-packaged ejuice in every gas station. It'll be crappy, but it can be bought. And online sales won't provide any great benefit seeing as how federal and state internet sales tax, just this week, seem to be gaining bipartisan approval.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Well, I have made up my mind.
I came into Vaping as an alternative to all the Drugs available to help(Haha) stop smoking. I have seen to many failures and after 45yrs of not finding a way, I really wanted out. Vaping was the best choice in the world in my case. I stopped cigs immediately and have not looked back even once.
Problem is I have found I enjoy Vaping< at any nic level> as it relaxes me. I'm down to 12mg and some 6mg liquids.

I have just placed my second WL DIY order and will have enough hardware and DIY to ween myself off nic and be covered for at least 4-5 years.
If I am successful, Uncle and State will never see a penny in e-cig taxation from me.

I will none the less, stand and fight, sign petitions and back everyone in the right of freedom of choice. We all know only to well how much better off we are for discovering a better solution.

BT, BPh, and USG can all PUCKER UP!!!:glare:

Mountain_Rain96

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Atlanta Ga.
Well, I have made up my mind.
I came into Vaping as an alternative to all the Drugs available to help(Haha) stop smoking. I have seen to many failures and after 45yrs of I will none the less, stand and fight, sign petitions and back everyone in the right of freedom of choice. We all know only to well how much better off we are for discovering a better solution.

BT, BPh, and USG can all PUCKER UP!!!:glare:

Amen. I'm almost 50, and while I wouldn't classify myself as 'disgruntled', I'm fed up with ridiculous taxation, moral doom-mongers, politics, and the government in general being a buttinsky. And I'm a Veteran. I swear before Almighty God...if I have to read up/study on/go back to school/whatever for the next 10 or 20 or 30 years to learn DIY methods, whether they be build-it-yourself hardware, or e-liquids, I am DONE caving in to big business and the government. They will never see another single penny from me as far as taxes on tobacco/and/or/vaping. N.E.V.E.R. I even know how to make my own homebrewed beer, been doing it for years. Not to sell, just for me.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Money is in things that need replacing, and often. Prefilled cartridges are the one thing that will fit that profile perfectly.

And V2 is partnering with National Tobacco to produce and sell DISPOSABLE batteries. Great for the environment and the consumer (sarcasm).

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
And V2 is partnering with National Tobacco to produce and sell DISPOSABLE batteries. Great for the environment and the consumer (sarcasm).
At least NJoy has a recycling program with their NJoy Kings.
Too bad the damn things cost way too much, because a lot of people really like them.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I've never used a disposable, and although I would guess that the majority of the community does not use them, I imagine that some people do like and use them and I have no problem with that. My concern would be if BT took over and only offered disposables.

I didn't realize that there were recycling programs. It would be great if every B&M outlet that sold disposables had a recycling program - with their resources, BT could do this, but I sorta doubt they would. I haven't had a rechargeable battery die on me yet, but I was planning on dropping it off at Home Depot when one does.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
" BT isn't going to help create an ecig market unless they can get the 5$ to $10 a day they currently get from each smoker."

Um, BT earns about roughly a few cents on each ciggarette (I used to work for british american tobacco). The government takes most of the money. I dont think anybody smokes 200-500 ciggarettes a day!

I don't really see a overt public voter justification for taxing e-cigs, although I am realistic if smoking drops off they will want to tax _something_ (booze, sugar, petrol, e-cigs - I am not sure its obvious what exactly that is. Usually taxes are levied on things people feel guilty or negatively toward. In this respect nothing rivels smoking, nor can likely be villanised as much. It seems likely multiple "vices" will have to take its place at a lower tax rate in order to replace lost smoking taxes)

- but even if a tax was levied on e-cigs it couldn't be high. If vaping was as big as smoking, re-fill liquids or pre-filled cartos, there would be _plenty_ money to be made tax or no tax, especially compared with the measely margins involved now on tobacco smoking, that are only compensated by the large volume of sales...

It remains to be seen, in what form, and with what practice BT will take when joining the party, but I still see it as positive that some BT companies are putting their chips on our side of the fence, investing in their future...its contrasted with tobacco companies that are actively resisting the inevitable future, -RJR - and they most certianly are a problem as they are fighting against e-cigs with lobby money etc...

Last edited:

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
I believe the cottage vaping industry is too well established to vanish under regulations. At worst vendors will have to sell their product to "club members" rather than the general public. Many industries get around various regulations this way, vaping will be no different. Instead of just buying a juice you will join a vendors private "club" and then they will sell you their wares. Works for private golf clubs, private breweries, tobacco and alcohol coops. Such a model would not be too bad and would likely work for vaping.

Ferrel1134

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
St. Paul mn
I believe the cottage vaping industry is too well established to vanish under regulations. At worst vendors will have to sell their product to "club members" rather than the general public. Many industries get around various regulations this way, vaping will be no different. Instead of just buying a juice you will join a vendors private "club" and then they will sell you their wares. Works for private golf clubs, private breweries, tobacco and alcohol coops. Such a model would not be too bad and would likely work for vaping.

Never even knew this was out there as a option. You finally put my fears to rest this morning thank you.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

An angle that I had not considered. Very interesting and defiantly worth talking about with venders as a way of possibly meeting the age verification requirements and keeping out best loved venders mixing.

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
An angle that I had not considered. Very interesting and defiantly worth talking about with venders as a way of possibly meeting the age verification requirements and keeping out best loved venders mixing.

Exactly my thoughts. When selling to the general public an age verification software might be considered a reasonable requirement. When selling to a club member rather than a stranger it would be unreasonable. Private clubs self monitor compliance with laws with many laws not applicable. :D

Vapor Vinny

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Lawrence, Kansas
Um, BT earns about roughly a few cents on each ciggarette (I used to work for british american tobacco). The government takes most of the money. I dont think anybody smokes 200-500 ciggarettes a day!

I don't really see a overt public voter justification for taxing e-cigs, although I am realistic if smoking drops off they will want to tax _something_ (booze, sugar, petrol, e-cigs - I am not sure its obvious what exactly that is. Usually taxes are levied on things people feel guilty or negatively toward. In this respect nothing rivels smoking, nor can likely be villanised as much. It seems likely multiple "vices" will have to take its place at a lower tax rate in order to replace lost smoking taxes)
A remarkable lack of understanding of how the American federal government works. Have you seen our President's latest budget proposal? It does not cost tobacco companies $3.40 to manufacture a pack of cigarettes, which is what your "roughly a few cents on each cigarette" math suggests. Profit per pack of cigarettes in America, as split between the tobacco companies and whatever greedy government entity is taxing them, ranges anywhere from $3.00 to $9.00 per pack. Assuming vapers, on average, consume about 3ml per day, what's a 30ml bottle going to cost?

Public voter justification for taxes? Are you serious? When has that ever been a requirement for progressives? Seriously?

Vapor Vinny

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Lawrence, Kansas
So you're saying I should go ahead and pull the trigger on buying that 20 gallons of 100mg nicotine I'm looking at? It's like $5,700. I hope you're right.

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
So you're saying I should go ahead and pull the trigger on buying that 20 gallons of 100mg nicotine I'm looking at? It's like $5,700. I hope you're right.

That would be a little drastic....unless you have some excellent recipes and want to start your own "club" or become a juice vendor. ;) I believe the changes will be slow and will happen State by State. You will see it coming. Nicotine is used in other NRTs, PG and VG have thousands of different uses outside of vaping. I would not lose any sleep over what the Fed is currently trying to do. I mean take action, join CASA and make your voice heard but this industry will not be killed/hyper regulated over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread