Another e-cig company merges with big tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
A remarkable lack of understanding of how the American federal government works. Have you seen our President's latest budget proposal? It does not cost tobacco companies $3.40 to manufacture a pack of cigarettes, which is what your "roughly a few cents on each cigarette" math suggests. Profit per pack of cigarettes in America, as split between the tobacco companies and whatever greedy government entity is taxing them, ranges anywhere from $3.00 to $9.00 per pack.

Well when I worked for british american tobacco, it was based in australia, where tax on tobacco sales is around 95% of profit (thats where I was given the figure of a few cents per tailor made ciggarette).

Where I live, now, in new zealand, tax is now around 99% of profit, and set to increase every year for the next six years (until virtually no one can afford them).

What percentage of profit, tax, does america charge? Is it less than 95%? Perhaps the profit per ciggarette could be slightly higher, if the government is taking less tax?

Profit per pack of cigarettes in America, as split between the tobacco companies and whatever greedy government entity is taxing them, ranges anywhere from $3.00 to $9.00 per pack.

Okay, thats a concrete figure. If we are talking 20's and 30's, and you take 95% out, that leaves up to 45cents, which is about right, based on the australian tax level (their currency is pretty similar in value to US dollars). So for the BT take to be higher, the tax in the US must be lower than 95%. If it was 80%, the 9 dollar profit would end up being 1.20 for BT, which assuming at least 20 ciggarettes is nine cents per ciggie.

What percentage goes to the govt in the US i suppose is really the question, as to how much BT actually makes per ciggie in the US?

Looks like its both state and federal level tax so it depends on where you are. Indeed looks it might be lower than alot of other western countries.

Wiki-
"Phillip Morris currently lists all taxes, including federal, state, local, and sales taxes, as 56.6% of the total cost of a pack of cigarettes."

What we I guess need to figure out then, for US sales, is the sale value of that 9 dollar profit pack, and how many ciggies are in them (which you should know yes?), so we can figure out the production cost, to subtract that, as well as the 56.6% govt take (variable by state) and determine profit per ciggie.

Interesting really, as it does seem like your tobacco taxes are lower than many other places. But I am still curious to determine profit per ciggie. Its certainly more money in the govt pocket, like most places, than it is for BT.

And I think even with this potentially lower tax take, the originally quoted profit of "5-10 dollars per day per smoker on average" which I was responding to, seems way off the mark.

And how much is the mark-up on most e-juice? Its about 50% or more isnt it? Certainly DIY is much cheaper, and thats not even using bulk sources...

Smokeless images nicquid is 19.99 US for a 30ml. Which I think is probably more than 50% markup. At 3ml a day (many vapers say they use alot more than this), thats 1.99 retail per day, and probably over half of that is profit. Thats certainly more than tobacco companies are making per day per smoker in NZ or australia with our tax rates (and thats only liquid, not pre-filleds), but it could possibly be lower than tobacco smokers, at your potentially lower tax level in the US.

Thing is though, most vapers use pre-filled cartos - by _choice_, for "convenience" (like most smokers use tailors), which so far as I can figure would be equal to, or more profit per consumer in the US (rough as math). Assuming say 9 or 10 us bucks per pack of 5, 3mls a day still, and 50% markup (which may be less or more than actual mark up on pre-filled cartos).

In general I think its a good idea to do whatever actual math we can (even if its very rough like this post), rather than just assume profits would be lower. So far as I can figure, even with your possibly lower tobacco tax of 56.6% of total sale price, there could be higher profits from pre-filled carto sales per consumer than from tobacco sales.

We should also compare profit wise, tailors with pre-filleds, and roll your own with juices, as that makes more sense.

Last edited:

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Production cost of a pack of cigs is far less than a dollar per pack. Before the tax increases during the early 90s generic cigs averaged a dollar per pack for generics so they had to be making some profit at that level. I have paid $15 a pack in some areas. Taxes are easily over 90%.

The government gets far more from BT that BT gets to keep for itself. If they try and get the lost revenue back it is going to be expensive. If they put the tax at that high of a percentage many will quit vaping. I don't think vaping is capable of getting the kind of tax revenues analogs get government. I wonder if this is what the some of the anti vape is all about.

Last edited:

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
The government gets far more from BT that BT gets to keep for itself. If they try and get the lost revenue back it is going to be expensive. If they put the tax at that high of a percentage many will quit vaping. I don't think vaping is capable of getting the kind of tax revenues analogs get government. I wonder if this is what the some of the anti vape is all about.

That is exactly what it is all about. Many are worried about BT fighting Ecigs because of lost profits but its actually various State, local and Federal governments that stand to lose far more. Every smoker that manages to quit smoking is thousands of dollars per year in lost government revenue. We have a government entity, the FDA, with a ulterior motive in limiting the expansion of ecigs. I typically hate conspiracy theories but I think there is enough evidence to support the fact government is interested in limiting the harm ecigs could potentially do to their bottom line.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Production cost of a pack of cigs is far less than a dollar per pack. Before the tax increases during the early 90s generic cigs averaged a dollar per pack for generics so they had to be making some profit at that level. I have paid $15 a pack in some areas. Taxes are easily over 90%.

Right okay, so the tax is still high-ish, if thats right. If it was around 90%, that would be $1.50 for BT, for that pack for $15. Ignoring production completely that would be $1.50 a day or so for a PAD smoker, for BT. Which is exactly what I thought, like here, and australia BT profits are low because of govt taxes, again, assuming this is right.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
I don't think vaping is capable of getting the kind of tax revenues analogs get government.

Well thats exactly right IMO, you couldn't tax it as much. And this betrays who is really threatened most by e-cigs - the anti-smoking lobbies (who would lose funding), the goverment, who would have to spread the tax burden across many areas, unless they legalised currently illicit drugs. Hence why i mentioned all those things in my last post (sugar, alcohol, petrol etc). I would add, potentially currently illicit drugs, perhaps also carbon tax as other alternative taxes. Basically it will have to be spread out more, across a range of lesser "vices".

So yes, without tobacco, one would have to reshuffle the tax burden in major ways. Its something govts worldwide will have to face eventually though either way, the course the world is on regarding smoking - the current aim has been to minimise the number of smokers - and that strategy is working. E-cigs just speed it up. Either way, its an issue that government have plot a course for. I guess they just started out thinking, yay, more money from higher taxes (short term mindset), and didn't entirely think it through to the now inevitable destination (much less money from tobacco, much less smokers)

Last edited:

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Right okay, so the tax is still high-ish, if thats right. If it was around 90%, that would be $1.50 for BT, for that pack for $15. Ignoring production completely that would be $1.50 a day or so for a PAD smoker, for BT. Which is exactly what I thought, like here, and australia BT profits are low because of govt taxes, again, assuming this is right.

It might not be that profits are actually low. The tax is not part of their cost structure except for the work accounting for it and passing it on to the government and retailers may be responsible for some of that.

Lets say the non-tax price is $1.50 and the price of production is $1.50. That is a hefty 50% margin, they make their money in high volume. It is simply the government makes far more than the .50 BT earns. It does not have to be a low profit item if BT does not have to carry those costs but is instead applied after the sale. They didn't have to cought up their own capital.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I think you have a typo. If the price is $1.50 before taxes and it costs $1.50 to make a pack of cigarettes that would be zero profit no matter how much volume.

Don't forget that the stores selling cigarettes also do the final markup., which ranges from 18% to 36%.

State excise taxes range from $4.35 in New York to 30¢ in Virginia. The federal tax is $1.01 across the board and some cities and counties add their own tobacco tax, like NYC adds $1.50, making it the most expensive place to buy them. Most of the US isn't paying over $9 for a pack of cigarettes.

V2 and National Tobacco have formed a partnership. E Cigarette News | News at V2 Cigs . V2 is one of the big retailers of cig-a-likes and this merger brings another big tobacco company to the side of e-cigs. Will it be a good thing? I think it will be. Tobacco companies are seeing the light and seem to understand e-cigs are the future, be nice to have them on our side.

So can we expect this tobacco company to add their poisonous Chem to the mix. After all those guy are so honest, Right?

pdxtechdoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
pdxtechdoctor
I haven't read through the entire thread, so this has hopefully been mention by someone but I wanted to share my thoughts..

This take over by BT is really bad for most of us.. it will push the prevalance of these analog look-alikes which are what most of of started with and found lacking.

All this push for regulation will mean that non approved devices will not be legal.... That means that all of the mods and attys will have to be put through certification tests to be approved for sale. These tests will be EXPENSIVE. BT is tying to make it so that only large corps such as themvelves will be able to pay for this testing and certification and therefore the only products on the market.

The juice vendors will also get hit hard with these certification and health tests...

These moves will mean the end of the market as well know it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread