Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
One interesting thihg just occured to me about the available BT/BV FDA-approved options in the future.

They're going to do their best to make them "tamper-proof," but sooner or later someone is going to figure out how to modify them in such a way that their cartridges can be refilled, and/or their batteries/housings can be recharged/swapped/reused/etc.

So a decade from now, the future of vaping may lie in the creation of weird hybrids, in which some of the parts will be available from FDA-approved cigalikes. As soon as BT/BV becomes aware that people are modifying their devices, they'll have to submit a new application to the FDA, which will be fast-tracked. More and more R&D money will go into ensuring that these kinds of modifications will become impossible, as the black market in hardware, 3D printer plans for homemade parts, and high-concentration nic. grows.

Eventually states will start passing laws against "nicotine paraphernalia."

I really despise printer cartridges. They are a complete ripoff. So I just drill a hole in them and refill them until the cartridge wears out. There will be a way around "tamper proof" cartridges, unless they rig them to explode (which I wouldn't put past the FDA or BT). But again, the big problem comes down to new vapers. The lack of respect to smokers by BT/BP/FDA is astounding.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On

Funny that only 14 months ago, people were still seriously discussing the merits of cigAlikes. I also hadn't thought about electric toothbrushes until I read that.

Pretty soon the CDC is going to be spending millions funding research addressing how common consumer appliances have to be redesigned. And every few months we'll hear about some manufacturer recall, allegedly on safety grounds.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but this does seem to logically lead us back to "medicalization." Unless vaping is only available by prescription, there will be no effective way to stamp out all these homemade devices and the clubs that will spring up everywhere to help people build them.

Besides, what happens if smokers who are desperate to quit start using cigAlikes as cessation because there's no other alternative? (Or vapers who really can't stand cigarettes anymore, but who don't have the time or the knowledge, etc. to build their own mods?)

Also - isn't there another technology besides springs and threads that can be used to get contacts to work in a mech mod? (Stosh?)

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I really despise printer cartridges. They are a complete ripoff. So I just drill a hole in them and refill them until the cartridge wears out. There will be a way around "tamper proof" cartridges, unless they rig them to explode (which I wouldn't put past the FDA or BT). But again, the big problem comes down to new vapers. The lack of respect to smokers by BT/BP/FDA is astounding.

Well I can tell ya right now Green Smoke is owned by altria. It isn't super easy but I have successfully taken apart the cartos they sell to refill them or use a more comfy drip tip.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Besides, what happens if smokers who are desperate to quit start using cigAlikes as cessation because there's no other alternative? (Or vapers who really can't stand cigarettes anymore, but who don't have the time or the knowledge, etc. to build their own mods?)

Also - isn't there another technology besides springs and threads that can be used to get contacts to work in a mech mod? (Stosh?)

Springs and threads work for a tube mod, and are a bit more of a challenge to build. A simple plastic battery box and push button switch from Radio Shack is much easier for a beginner. There's plans with parts lists all over the Modding Forum from back in 2010, it's what a mod used to refer to before Smok and Vision took over. A 3.7 volt fixed voltage mod will always be available to anyone.

Anyone that can assemble a children's plastic toy can build a mod, it's just a battery and switch in an enclosure of some sort, a dab of JB Weld and you're good to go.....:vapor:

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Springs and threads work for a tube mod, and are a bit more of a challenge to build. A simple plastic battery box and push button switch from Radio Shack is much easier for a beginner.

Thanks ... actually it might a bit harder for me than for you. I'm a software guy, I don't do much hardware. I once changed the oil in my car - never again. Like an idiot, I unscrewed the nut all the way. No one told me that you're not supposed to do that :facepalm:

That said, I'm not sure the "altoids box" design is all that portable. One approach: buy a bunch of mechs and use them only when portability is required. (Might be bad karma, but maybe ECF needs a "vapapocalypse" forum.)

Reason I asked about the spings and threads tho' was not because I wanted to personally build one, but instead I was wondering whether a manufacturer could design something differently - something intended to last for ten years or more. (Or which would be very easy to repair/maintain, unlike threading which might have to be machined again.)

Right now, there's no incentive to do that because all the equipment manufacturers want vapers to keep upgrading to the latest and greatest new thing. But if/when the FDA proposal becomes final, lots of people are going to be looking for something that might have that sort of lifespan, and for which (obviously) the customer would pay a premium.

Hmm ... it occurs to me that 510/ego threads are also needed for the tanko/atty/whatever, not just for the battery enclosure.

What about a harder metal? Titanium? Just thinking out loud, forgive me if my Qs are stupid. But I'm sure that once people realize that equipment is going away, the market will respond. Whether that involves differences in form, or materials, or something else ... I'm not sure. This is why I wish CASAA would come out with a more definitive statement. That will help to clarify the situation and build the demand for long lasting devices.

My guess is that the FDA isn't going to show its hand until the rule is final and the 2-year window is near to closing. And then presto! standards for equipment will start popping up in the Federal Register. Theoretically they could crack down much earlier on any unregistered equipment manufacturers. But presumably a few will be smart enough to register. By nailing those who don't register early on, the FDA would be displaying its intentions. And presumably it would prefer not to do so. Then it can sieze a bunch of equipment, and brag about all the saved children in a press release.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
....That said, I'm not sure the "altoids box" design is all that portable. One approach: buy a bunch of mechs and use them only when portability is required. (Might be bad karma, but maybe ECF needs a "vapapocalypse" forum.)

Reason I asked about the springs and threads tho' was not because I wanted to personally build one, but instead I was wondering whether a manufacturer could design something differently - something intended to last for ten years or more. (Or which would be very easy to repair/maintain, unlike threading which might have to be machined again.)

Hmm ... it occurs to me that 510/ego threads are also needed for the tanko/atty/whatever, not just for the battery enclosure.

A mini "altoids box" with a 14500 battery would be a more portable option, although a 18650 box mod isn't huge either.
(Yes, I carry two with me everyday, along with a spare 18650......:blush:)

The problem with a "10 year mod" or the 10 year toppers to go with it is cost. The market wouldn't bear a $400-$500 rig. Even the highly regarded Provari or Reo wouldn't last 10 years without some servicing. For toppers, a 10 month lifespan is more common today, and extending that is cost prohibitive.

The easy to build / easy to repair mods would be the better path. I would be more optimistic on the connectors if 808/901 were more popular (it's a M Coaxial Power Jack - Radio Shack part #276-079 for the mod end).
Everyone might not be a geek, but they know one...:laugh:

ECF has a pair of "vapapocalypse" forums, the Modders forum and the DIY forum. The stickeys in each has all the information necessary to continue vaping (IF we still have access to nicotine liquid)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Seriously, I don't think that we'll ever be totally unable to buy e-cig hardware. One can get a drink in Saudi Arabia and people vape in Singapore. We're not there yet--and we'll never get there. I hope. This is America, after all.

I have a ProVari and a stainless Sigelei mini--they both use 18xxx batteries. But they are regulated. I don't want a mech. Worst case scenario--I buy a mech, a kick, and a gallon of nic. :facepalm:

But I like my MVP2 and I'm sure that I'll be able to get it in the future--one way or another.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Thanks ... actually it might a bit harder for me than for you. I'm a software guy, I don't do much hardware. I once changed the oil in my car - never again. Like an idiot, I unscrewed the nut all the way. No one told me that you're not supposed to do that :facepalm:

That said, I'm not sure the "altoids box" design is all that portable. One approach: buy a bunch of mechs and use them only when portability is required. (Might be bad karma, but maybe ECF needs a "vapapocalypse" forum.)

Reason I asked about the spings and threads tho' was not because I wanted to personally build one, but instead I was wondering whether a manufacturer could design something differently - something intended to last for ten years or more. (Or which would be very easy to repair/maintain, unlike threading which might have to be machined again.)

Right now, there's no incentive to do that because all the equipment manufacturers want vapers to keep upgrading to the latest and greatest new thing. But if/when the FDA proposal becomes final, lots of people are going to be looking for something that might have that sort of lifespan, and for which (obviously) the customer would pay a premium.

What about a harder metal? Titanium? Just thinking out loud, forgive me if my Qs are stupid. But I'm sure that once people realize that equipment is going away, the market will respond. Whether that involves differences in form, or materials, or something else ... I'm not sure. This is why I wish CASAA would come out with a more definitive statement. That will help to clarify the situation and build the demand for long lasting devices.

My guess is that the FDA isn't going to show its hand until the rule is final and the 2-year window is near to closing. And then presto! standards for equipment will start popping up in the Federal Register. Theoretically they could crack down much earlier on any unregistered equipment manufacturers. But presumably a few will be smart enough to register. By nailing those who don't register early on, the FDA would be displaying its intentions. And presumably it would prefer not to do so. Then it can sieze a bunch of equipment, and brag about all the saved children in a press release.

One thing you can count on. The market place will find "work arounds". It always does with any product.
    This little box mod cost me $2.20, and took 20 mnutes to make for example.
    P1000483.jpg

But, while regulating hardware will be a problem, it isn't what will kill us. We could always find a used up Blu battery to get a 510 connector. The costs of liquids is what will. As I read the document (and I sure hope I'm mistaken) a vendor that makes 50 flavors at 4 different nic strengths, and 4 different PG/VG ratios would need to have the same container of PG certified 800 times at $1,500.00 a pop. That would be $1,200,000.00 just to get their PG approved. This would simply mean that the FDA's intention is to let MONEY limit flavors instead of the regulations.

Last edited:

jstaubin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 28, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    One thing you can count on. The market place will find "work arounds". It always does with any product.
    This little box mod cost me $2.20, and took 20 mnutes to make for example.
    P1000483.jpg

But, while regulating hardware will be a problem, it isn't what will kill us. We could always find a used up Blu battery to get a 510 connector. The costs of liquids is what will. As I read the document (and I sure hope I'm mistaken) a vendor that makes 50 flavors at 4 different nic strengths, and 4 different PG/VG ratios would need to have the same container of PG certified 800 times at $1,500.00 a pop. That would be $1,200,000.00 just to get their PG approved. This would simply mean that the FDA's intention is to let MONEY limit flavors instead of the regulations.

Since pure nicotine liquid is not banned, what is to prevent companies from shipping zero nicotine eliquid and also selling nicotine.

Jan 19, 2014
    Moved On
    Since pure nicotine liquid is not banned, what is to prevent companies from shipping zero nicotine eliquid and also selling nicotine.

You may have your finger on a good idea here. Perhaps if a group of manufacturers organized via AEMSA were to pony up the $10M (or whatever) to sponsor an application for high-concentration nic., then maybe they could win.

(However, high-concentration nic. presents its own consumer safety issues obviously. This is one reason why Greg Conley is pushing the black market argument.)

Putting that aside, there are at least four questions one might ask:

1) How high would the concentration need to be, for it to be useful in tandem with flavorings? For ex., if it was 2.5% and you wanted to create 2% e-liquid out of it, you'd better have flavoring that will work at 20% overall concentration. (I.e. 4 parts 2.5% unflavored base plus 1 part flavoring). Most flavorings would work, I suspect. If you wanted much more than a 20mg/ml result, your base might have to be quite a bit higher than 25mg/ml.

2) What would be the PG/VG mix? The costs of submitting an application are too high to support more than one choice. And obviously either (a) the resulting nic juice's PG/VG ratio would be highly influenced by the base's ratio; or (b) the base would have to be of relatively high concentration. It's a tricky problem.

3) Would the flavoring be considered a "component or part of a finished tobacco product" if it was "intended or expected for use" ? You'll note that the PDF refers to hookah charcoal flavoring. This may not be a deal-breaker, perhaps customers could get their own water-soluble flavorings. The FDA isn't going to try to shut down TFA or LorAnn because they sell "components or parts intended for use in a tobacco product." Although some of their flavorings might have to be pulled (e.g. one of my fav.s - cubano). That said, I can't see FDA successfully pulling TFA double chocolate off the market via a court battle. (Athough they might be able to intimidate them with a cease and desist letter.)

4) What if the FDA reviewed this application as soon as it was submitted (say: on the last day of the 2-year window), and immediately rejected it? That's $10M down the tubes, and a lenghty court battle to come. Would the applicants get a preliminary injunction against the FDA? If not, then the ban would be in effect starting just one day after the two-year window closes with no resolution in sight. Not a lot of "bang" for ten million bucks, is it? Who's going to put up the cash for a risk like that?

Of all of these, I'd say #4 is by far the biggest problem. Any e-liquid manufacturer can sell it up until the very last day of the 2-year window, so long as they register in time. But if the $10M (or even $1M) only buys an extra day, because the FDA immediately rejects the application, then that's hardly money well spent. This is a business, after all. Investors deserve a reasonable expectation of ROI. And the uncertainties there are daunting, to say the least. BT and BV (big vapor) have the "deep pockets" needed to sustain a long fight in the courts, plus a reasonable expectation that FDA will approve their products for fear of litigation. I frankly doubt any e-liquid manufacturer (or group of manufactures) has that kind of money to throw around.

And finally: FDA has other incentives - they want to approve at least a few cigAlikes. They do not want to approve e-liquid, because their goal is to eliminate vaping, or at least reduce it to a "dual use" technology (i.e. make sure that it's less effective at cessation). How can they possibly do that, if they permit any form of e-liquid?

Jan 19, 2014
    Moved On
    Nothing is banned yet. We have no idea what will be banned after two years, though.

None of us has a crystal ball. But right now, the only hope I have is that the FDA won't get the proposal submitted to the OMB for final review by the end of '16. Otherwise I'd bet that it's game over for everything - e-liquid as well as all equipment. You'll still be able to wear your Provari tee shirt. And of course there will be a black market.

Last edited:
    Jan 19, 2014
    Moved On
    Bottom line: it's DIY with hardware. I need to start learning electronics and start buying machine tools :(

That's a lot harder than DIY w/ e-liquid. Another $1-2K bites the dust, it seems. (Probably more.)

Part of me has to wonder whether getting the right lathe, maybe a used version of something like this:

Northern Industrial Lathe Milling and Drilling Machine Combo — 1/2 HP | Lathes| Northern Tool + Equipment

would let me maintain off-the-shelf mech mods. As opposed to getting all the electronic stuff.

Right now, I think it may actually be possible to keep a vivi nova tank going for a very long time - get a metal tube, and rebuild the coils. There appears to only one thing on it that's not made of metal, and that's the little part on the bottom of the coil. The silicon top of the coil isn't needed. Genisis hybrids also look as if they may be quasi-maintainable, except that the tank is glass. There may be other possiblities.

I really am hoping to invest less than $5,000 and 2,000 hours. (I say that half-seriously.)

I realize that most of you folks who have been doing this for five years have invested at least that much time and money. And I respect that.

A mini "altoids box" with a 14500 battery would be a more portable option, although a 18650 box mod isn't huge either.
    (Yes, I carry two with me everyday, along with a spare 18650......:blush:)

The problem with a "10 year mod" or the 10 year toppers to go with it is cost. The market wouldn't bear a $400-$500 rig. Even the highly regarded Provari or Reo wouldn't last 10 years without some servicing. For toppers, a 10 month lifespan is more common today, and extending that is cost prohibitive.

The easy to build / easy to repair mods would be the better path. I would be more optimistic on the connectors if 808/901 were more popular (it's a M Coaxial Power Jack - Radio Shack part #276-079 for the mod end).
    Everyone might not be a geek, but they know one...:laugh:

ECF has a pair of "vapapocalypse" forums, the Modders forum and the DIY forum. The stickeys in each has all the information necessary to continue vaping (IF we still have access to nicotine liquid)

aikanae1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2013
    az
    Bottom line: it's DIY with hardware. I need to start learning electronics and start buying machine tools :(

That's a lot harder than DIY w/ e-liquid. Another $1-2K bites the dust, it seems. (Probably more.)

Part of me has to wonder whether getting the right lathe, maybe a used version of something like this:

Northern Industrial Lathe Milling and Drilling Machine Combo — 1/2 HP | Lathes| Northern Tool + Equipment

would let me maintain off-the-shelf mech mods. As opposed to getting all the electronic stuff.

Right now, I think it may actually be possible to keep a vivi nova tank going for a very long time - get a metal tube, and rebuild the coils. There appears to only one thing on it that's not made of metal, and that's the little part on the bottom of the coil. The silicon top of the coil isn't needed. Genisis hybrids also look as if they may be quasi-maintainable, except that the tank is glass. There may be other possiblities.

I really am hoping to invest less than $5,000 and 2,000 hours. (I say that half-seriously.)

I realize that most of you folks who have been doing this for five years have invested at least that much time and money. And I respect that.

If you do, I wanna come play at your house :laugh:

Instead of a vape shop, you could rent time on your machine?

There is also Shapways if you know how to draw up plans for 3D printing on some of the parts. I think in the modders forum there's been some trials with this.

SAVE THOSE 510 CONNECTIONS from dead ego's and spinners.

You could also collect all the dead mods, atty's and coils for parts to use later on with repairs/rebuilds. I think that's a do-able to start now. "Just in case".

Where there's will, there's a way. I don't think a lot of people are realizing this may make even what is produced in a garage illegal.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2013
    az
    There are some very interesting ideas here. What if nic retailers pooled their resources to get unflavored nic approved. That's it. I think the EU caps it at 20%. That would be the starting point. You could say unflavored doesn't attract kids, better for public health, yada, yada.

Eliquid retailers could prepare to sell flavoring only. Anyone can get PG/VG to mix to their ratio. I don't think there's a rational arguement against retailers selling flavors, that FDA approves already with 0% nic. Heck, I'll figure out a reciepe for muffins if they want.

But the emphasis would be on keeping quality nic available - I suspect the FDA has their sites on single use, pre-filled cartridges only. So it's still a challenge to get approval for just unflavored nic approved, including studies etc. That will take a lot of resources.

It's not the ideal but it might be more practical than retailers submitting 4,000-5,000 applications for each individual eliquid and preserve some of the expenses involved; keeping vaping affordable. It might also break through the glass ceiling of prefilled cartridges with tobacco only flavors.

I believe in Canada / Australia they were buying flavors with 0% nic and adding their own nic so it can be done with some level of satisfaction.

You may have your finger on a good idea here. Perhaps if a group of manufacturers organized via AEMSA were to pony up the $10M (or whatever) to sponsor an application for high-concentration nic., then maybe they could win.

(However, high-concentration nic. presents its own consumer safety issues obviously. This is one reason why Greg Conley is pushing the black market argument.)

Putting that aside, there are at least four questions one might ask:

1) How high would the concentration need to be, for it to be useful in tandem with flavorings? For ex., if it was 2.5% and you wanted to create 2% e-liquid out of it, you'd better have flavoring that will work at 20% overall concentration. (I.e. 4 parts 2.5% unflavored base plus 1 part flavoring). Most flavorings would work, I suspect. If you wanted much more than a 20mg/ml result, your base might have to be quite a bit higher than 25mg/ml.

2) What would be the PG/VG mix? The costs of submitting an application are too high to support more than one choice. And obviously either (a) the resulting nic juice's PG/VG ratio would be highly influenced by the base's ratio; or (b) the base would have to be of relatively high concentration. It's a tricky problem.

3) Would the flavoring be considered a "component or part of a finished tobacco product" if it was "intended or expected for use" ? You'll note that the PDF refers to hookah charcoal flavoring. This may not be a deal-breaker, perhaps customers could get their own water-soluble flavorings. The FDA isn't going to try to shut down TFA or LorAnn because they sell "components or parts intended for use in a tobacco product." Although some of their flavorings might have to be pulled (e.g. one of my fav.s - cubano). That said, I can't see FDA successfully pulling TFA double chocolate off the market via a court battle. (Athough they might be able to intimidate them with a cease and desist letter.)

4) What if the FDA reviewed this application as soon as it was submitted (say: on the last day of the 2-year window), and immediately rejected it? That's $10M down the tubes, and a lenghty court battle to come. Would the applicants get a preliminary injunction against the FDA? If not, then the ban would be in effect starting just one day after the two-year window closes with no resolution in sight. Not a lot of "bang" for ten million bucks, is it? Who's going to put up the cash for a risk like that?

Of all of these, I'd say #4 is by far the biggest problem. Any e-liquid manufacturer can sell it up until the very last day of the 2-year window, so long as they register in time. But if the $10M (or even $1M) only buys an extra day, because the FDA immediately rejects the application, then that's hardly money well spent. This is a business, after all. Investors deserve a reasonable expectation of ROI. And the uncertainties there are daunting, to say the least. BT and BV (big vapor) have the "deep pockets" needed to sustain a long fight in the courts, plus a reasonable expectation that FDA will approve their products for fear of litigation. I frankly doubt any e-liquid manufacturer (or group of manufactures) has that kind of money to throw around.

And finally: FDA has other incentives - they want to approve at least a few cigAlikes. They do not want to approve e-liquid, because their goal is to eliminate vaping, or at least reduce it to a "dual use" technology (i.e. make sure that it's less effective at cessation). How can they possibly do that, if they permit any form of e-liquid?

Last edited:
    Jan 19, 2014
    Moved On
    Roger it would be cheaper just to buy about 50 mech mods now than to buy manufacturing equipment.

Yuo make a good point, Gary - and I'll take it one step further.

Stosh, I think you're ultimately right that there is no solution except to learn how to put off-the-shelf components together. Who knows what sorts of batteries will be available 10 or 20 years from now?

So we have to be flexible and learn to build what we need from the current generation of off-the-shelf components.

For now, I need to learn how to build my own coils and see if I can at least maintain the tank/atty part. I'll have to worry about power later.

Worst case, the FDA will surprise us and come out with the final rules in record time, and then hardware manufacturers will start bailing out immediately (which means the entire hardware market may suddenly collapse, and retailers will start closing up shop and dumping their stock). Either that or the price of everything will go way up :(

We still have until the end of 2014, I figure. Can't get worse than that, I don't think. So I might have to buy a little off-the-shelf equipment to tide myself over, until I can learn enough (and acquire enough tools) to build my own. Still looks like a major investment of time and money, no matter what. But it's still better than smoking cigarettes :D

[...]There are some very interesting ideas here. What if nic retailers pooled their resources to get unflavored nic approved. That's it. I think the EU caps it at 20%. That would be the starting point. You could say unflavored doesn't attract kids, better for public health, yada, yada. [...]

As I said the biggest prob. with that is that the application will cost $1M at least, and then FDA could reject it, one day after the 2-year window closes. I know they have an internal dispute resolution process for drugs, but I'm not sure what happens for tobacco products. That said, if the applicants have to wait for a hearing in federal court, relief could be many years away.

Any entity willing to take a risk like that had better be willing to lay out another few million for lobbyists and attorneys. That's what it costs BT and BP to navigate the system.

A cushy job set up for Mitch Zeller wouldn't hurt, as long as the offer was better than what BP probably already has lined up for him. Now we're talking several more million.

[...] I don't think a lot of people are realizing this may make even what is produced in a garage illegal.

Not necessarily, at least not yet under the worst case. I could build a mech mod in my garage and use it myself. As soon as I give, lend, or sell it to someone else, then I become a manufacturer of a "misbranded or adulterated component or part of a tobacco product." Similar to the case of a RYO injector machine. I can use it to make my own tobacco cigarettes. I just can't sell them or give them away. (Well, I guess I have let people "bum" them before. Don't tell the FDA.)

If one were to set up a club or a co-op that allowed its members to make mech mods, that might lead to the raw milk co-op situation. Wouldn't be a smart idea, unless you like the idea of a SWAT team in your garage, enjoy tasting of your own concrete floor for serveral hours while you're handcuffed, and want to end up dropping tens of thousands in legal fees.

If you let someone else use your garage, knowing that they're going to make an illegal "misbranded or adulterated component or part of a tobacco product," that might also be risky. The FDA recently started busting these little shops that let customers use the shop's automatic rolling machines to make their own tobacco cigarettes. I assume the same would apply to any equipment used for that purpose.

But until the gov't outlaws "nicotine paraphernalia," it will still be legal to purchase your own equipment, and make your own tobacco cigarettes or mech mods - so long as they're exclusively for your own use.

Stosh

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    As an experiment today I took apart a plain old 510 cartomizer. They DO work as a very basic dripper if necessary so maybe stop tossing them.

Don't toss anything, get a big plastic box and save it all, the 510 connectors if nothing else will be valuable. If you can get a cartomizer disassembled, it can be recoiled, and re-fillered with ecowool.
    Make MacGyver proud....:laugh:

Stosh, I think you're ultimately right that there is no solution except to learn how to put off-the-shelf components together. Who knows what sorts of batteries will be available 10 or 20 years from now?

Mod made from off the shelf parts are old school....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/106016-how-build-puck.html#post1596382

They work very well as a 5 volt fixed voltage rig, just not great on the voltage drop...:2cool:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread