Boge or Smoktech Cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
In the five months I've been using them, I find the build quality better on the Boges, but I find the flavor better on SmokeTech. Both start out OK, but the Boges seem to develop a metallic taste within a day, and rapidly get worse. The SmokeTechs seem to take 4-5 days for this to kick in, and I've never had one last more than a week.

In fact, the best tasting cartos that I've gotten so far are the clear plastic ones from SmokeTech, but they are so fragile, they come apart if I try to keep on in my pocket. Flavor on them stays true from the first drag until day 4-7, when they begin to get that stale, funky taste.
Development of that stale, funky taste is what signals the end of a carto's useful life. I've convinced these off tastes are produced by an accumulation of darkened, heat-altered juice in the lower end (510 connector end) of the carto. I fill cartos from the mouthpiece end and let the carto sit upright a while during filling to soak in the maximum amount of juice. When juice starts to flow out the 510 end of the carto onto paper towel or kleenex I know the carto is filled.

After using a carto for several days I will deliberately overfill the carto by two or three drops after it is filled. That seems to flush some of the darkest juice out of the filler, extending the better taste. If that outflow juice contains blackened particulate matter then I know I vaped that carto down too far past the half capacity level and burned the filler to a degree.

I generally get 7-14 fillings out of a Smoktech single coil LR XL before tossing them. The average is about 10 fillings. Refilling the cartos sooner than later seems to extend the life of the carto.

I'm the opposite of you in my preference for Smoktech carto tube materials. I can taste the clear plastic tubes but find the stainless steel tubes contribute no taste.

dragnfire

Mar 19, 2012
Connecticut
I fill my cartos the same way, yzer, and I agree 100% the the 'end of life funk' is the result of adulterated juice in the end. When I first started, I thought it was from running them too dry, so I have acquired the habit of topping off with 5-10 drops after each session, until the filler is full and I just start to get the first drop forming at the threads. One time I did run a carto too dry, and the taste is VERY different than the funk. It's clearly burnt, and something everyone will experience once and not forget.

Sometimes I wonder if the metallic taste I get is some odd combination of the carto and the particular juice I use. I've been exclusively using Highbrow's Eve's Delight as my all day vape, and keep it loaded in a carto on one battery for my kGo, and the other battery has an atty for dripping and changing up flavors and nic concentrations as the day rolls on.

I think what I need to do is load up another carto with different juice, and run that down to the end of its life. Gonna do that now, actually.

Believe me, I would much rather use metal than the plastic! It's an unpleasant experience (to say the least) to have a carto open up in your pocket, and drench your shirt or pants with juice, then try to roll the filler back up and reassemble it...

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Juice selection certainly has an effect on how long a carto will last.

If you like a juice that has a strong taste when the carto is new that taste will get funky faster than with a more lightly flavored juice. The longer you use a carto the more concentrated juice accumulates in the filler. Flavor components will change with repeated heat cycles on an individual basis. Some flavorings will taste better after heat cycling than others.

My everyday juice is lightly flavored. I have some stronger flavored juices but the cartos don't last as long with them.

I read something a week ago about the differences between the most popular juices in the US and Europe. US juices tend to be more strongly flavored.

My juice tastes a bit weak to me on the first carto fillings. I like the flavor best at around five fillings. Ten fillings or so is when I find the taste getting nasty and change out the carto.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I like Boges, but as with all things, try several and find what you like. I ran through a couple of boxes of Smoketek cartos in fall of 2011, I had one dud. A year of using Boge 510d, I have had two duds.

Boge 2.0 on fixed 3.7v devices, gives more vape/flavor.
Boge 3.0 on VV devices is usually better, LR draws more amps for the same temps, just hits your battery harder.

I am vaping about 3ml a day of clear juices, I usually get a week to a week and a half out of one (about 21ml to 30ml total). They are always still working, but once the flavor falls off, I just toss them, they are cheap in 15-packs.

Early on, I boiled them out, and later would slush them out with a syringe pump and ISO alcohol (alcohol drys much faster than water, and won't mold in hot/humid MIdwest USA temps and humidity). Cleaning them out can extend their life, but one of the by-products of use is that often the filler gets compacted, cleaning them usually does not help that.

The amount of juice you run through one is a more accurate measure of lifespan than time. Some people vape a lot more/less than others, so the number of days isn't the same as volume of juice run through it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Having used Smoktech LR single coils since November I can honestly say that only one carto has lasted me only two or three days. That was one that I burned early on. Box after box, every one lasts 10-14 days. Maybe I'm getting better quality Smoktech product than you.

To tell you the truth I have no way of knowing if my cartos are Smoktech or not. There is no label identifying the brand on the package or the product.

Anyway, I have a lurking suspicion that both Smoktech and Boge cartomizers come off the same assembly line in Shenzhen, China. :lol:

OK, any Boge users out there able to post a similar photo?

My Boges come in a generic box that is similar to yours, except on the side it says "atomized cartridges". If I'm lucky it has a small sticker on the bottom that says "510 RE stainless". Nowhere does it say Boge. The flanged Smoketech tank cartos come in the same clear wrapper with an RE sticker if I buy them singly.

They all reek of genericism. I agree that they probably come off the same line and are packed for later labeling by the retailer.

The other day I got strange taste from one SS carto. After a while, I decided to resistance check it. It measured 1.9 ohms even though it came out of a box marked RE (3 ohms). 1 out of 5 in the box was a LR carto. Go figure. I get one occasionally that just won't wick like I'm used to. Tight filling, I guess. Then, there are others where the filler pulls away from the side. Those wick well and appear loose and likely to leak, but they don't.

QC is random. I blame that on supervision and insufficient testing. I'm thinking sweat shop conditions where the thrust is to get it off the line, in a box, and onto a ship.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I'm vaping a Smoktek SC 1.7ohm cartomizer on my new Silver Bullet right now, having vaped Boge for just about ever, and well. It's acceptable. It's a good vape. Is it the best I've had? No, I don't think so.

It's certainly good and satisfying but I think I'll order some Boge 2.0ohm ones next round and see how they fair. I've only got Boge 3ohm ones on me right now and well, they aren't about to go billowing smoke at 3.7v.

I think the real test will be over the course of this week. I want to see if this ST cartomizer holds up. I'm teetering on whether or not I want to keep ST cartomizers for my Silver Bullet or buy Boge 2.0's next. It's really a hard decision.

Reliability and a pleasant 6.8watt vape or... Chancing each cartomizer and having a very satisfying 8watt vape.

ScottGChi

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2012
Chicago
Knock on wood, but I've only used SmokTek 1.7's so far...shorty's, regular and XL...and have had no issues and have been really happy with them. For me, a tiny glistening of juice on the bottom of the 510 connection isn't a leak and that's the most leaking I've experienced.

But I have been wanting to try the Boge 1.8 ohm 801 Fusion cartos that COV is carrying. Anyone try them? Also on a COV note, in one of the first posts someone mentioned an "atty tank." Is this what you mean?

http://www.cloudsofvapor.com/store/127-new-at-cov/1263-cov-ego-tank-with-air-control-steel.html

I saw it on their site yesterday and emailed them about it. It looks really cool, but I didn't quite understand how it worked...lol.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Knock on wood, but I've only used SmokTek 1.7's so far...shorty's, regular and XL...and have had no issues and have been really happy with them. For me, a tiny glistening of juice on the bottom of the 510 connection isn't a leak and that's the most leaking I've experienced.

But I have been wanting to try the Boge 1.8 ohm 801 Fusion cartos that COV is carrying. Anyone try them? Also on a COV note, in one of the first posts someone mentioned an "atty tank." Is this what you mean?

http://www.cloudsofvapor.com/store/127-new-at-cov/1263-cov-ego-tank-with-air-control-steel.html

I saw it on their site yesterday and emailed them about it. It looks really cool, but I didn't quite understand how it worked...lol.

I have, and most of them come out at 1.9 or 2.0ohms. One out of two boxes has been 1.8ohms.

-Tested with a Varitube X. (Which is very accurate. I've been able to hit everything pretty solid on the nose, even other people's gear)

lettucehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Indiana
Between the SmokTech and Boge - Boge definitely...

I think there is a definite muted taste from the SmokTech and doesn't have as warm a vapor.

The Boge are pretty good, but even with the XXL, I don't like that I can't see the liquid level and risk of burning the filler, so I find that I top them off every 1/2 hr or so (which I don't like doing because I just want to VAPE and not fiddle so much.

I'm going to try punching the Boge and see how it does on my tank.

I do like the Ego clearos - occassional burnt taste, but over all pretty good...

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
I have been using both the Boge and Smoketech for over a uear and cannot tell any diff between flavor or durability. The Boges have a much more airy draw than the smoketchs. I keep one of my provaris loaded with a DC tank and 3.0 Boge and the other provari with a DC tank and a 2.0 DC smoketech. I just alternate back and forth depending on how much air I am wanting on the draw. Both are top notch cartos imo.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Quick question - Are Smoktech cartos horizontal or vertical coil?

I have yet to come across Kangers but read good things about them, where is a good place to buy them?

I have searched high and low over the past few months for the best deal on Kangers, and HealthCabin is the cheapest place to get them, even with the expedited shipping. Otherwise, if you want to buy 50 or more at a time, Good Prophets carries the 1.8 ohm version for $6.99 per pack of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread