Status
Not open for further replies.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
Oh look another reason to boycott starbucks. As if the unsustainable, non fairtrade, overpriced, pretentious, burnt coffee sold there needed another reason to be avoided. Starbucks to me is like chrysler; if I want to buy two tons of manure I'll talk to a farmer and if I want a cup of charcoal I'll talk to a fireman

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
Not for nothing....I have no affiliation with any starbucks stores or employees and I never liked starbucks coffee to begin with but it is well within their rights to ask you not to vape inside their stores. A better way would be to ask permission first before vaping away. Especially since according to your post you were asked politely not to vape. That should not prompt you to want to boycott them.

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
Maybe I am alone in this feeling. But they have the right to say that inside their establishment. I am someone who never vapes inside business. I just don't feel it's a right to vape anywhere I please.

People are always asking me about my provari and what I am doing. It's to the point it's rather annoying. Today I've had 43 people ask. Yes, I counted!! I'm out of an office most the the day, so I am around a lot of random people. I try to not cause any attention to what I am doing. If a business chooses to not want e-cigs inside that there right, and I have no problem with it.

Plus they asked you nicely. I don't think they did anything wrong. If they were rude it would be a different conversation

Last edited:

Mrtrucker40108

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Brandenburg, KY, USA
First and foremost let me echo whats already been said..
Contrary to modern definition thieves reinterpretation of the word 'Public', Starbucks is a private company. You are a guest on their propertys, they have every right to dictate what you can and can not do as a guest on their property. The libertarian in me will go so far as to say what you do on Starbucks property is soley between you and Starbucks but I digress (but only because I will rant for hours...lol )

Secondly, a question. Why do a portion of vapers have the idea that they can vape where ever they like when ever they like? I'm not meaning that with a chip on my shoulder or anything. I genuinely curious.

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
Of course they have a right to ask me not to vape in their store. I was very polite in return. It IS private property.

It is ALSO well within my right to politely ask for my Starbucks card to be cancelled and to tell them I don't agree with their COMPANY WIDE policy and to tell my friends not to go to Starbucks and to go somewhere else. I was certainly polite when I left quietly explaining my confusion since no second hand smoke etc.

I crossed the road to taco bell and vaped unobtrusively for two hrs.

In the future I'll go to the taco bell and drink diet mountain dew ;-) which I love.

BTW it is perfectly legal to carry a .357 revolver concealed in a Starbucks in WA state. Last year Starbucks refused to give in to the gun ban nuts. I agree on that point as I am most assuredly libertarian.

Perhaps if enough people asked permission to vape and then left without buying anything they might change their opinion.

My business goes elsewhere.

Jeff

GG stealth, Provari, iatty2, DIY chef

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
I think that really depends on the store. It's not a chainwide decision, so you cancelling your Starbucks card is a bit overkill, really... and I'm not boycotting my vape-friendly stores. ;)

Not correct ......it is an OFFICIAL COMPANY WIDE POLICY NATIONWIDE. Look it up

J

GG stealth, Provari, iatty2, DIY chef

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
Wow, but you're insistent about this, ain'tcha. Don't raise your all-caps voice to me, young man, because I was raised with better manners than that!

Seriously: a friend of mine is a district manager out here. It's store-by-store for ecigs. And she did look it up. What's nationwide is the smoking ban. Starbucks stores are smoke-free zones.

Vaping, on the other hand, is not smoking. In fact, it's significantly different from smoking. If your PV looks like a cigarette, or you're blowing ginormous clouds of vapor, or you're flaunting the fact that OMG you're breaking their rule ha ha ha, you can expect them to politely ask you to depart with that thing.

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
Secondly, a question. Why do a portion of vapers have the idea that they can vape where ever they like when ever they like? I'm not meaning that with a chip on my shoulder or anything. I genuinely curious.

If you ever find out the answer to that question, lemme know, will you? I've always wondered that myself. :)

Blood_of_Adonis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Space
Bottom line- If you were at a friend's house, and in spite of your best efforts to educate your friend, they ardently wanted you to not vape in their house, you wouldn't stop being their friend, and tell other people not to be their friend. (at least, I hope not...)

On another note, a lot of it is knowing the people. I don't vape at my nearby Starbucks, inside. I have before, and the worst I got was funny looks. I don't now because they recently changed Managers at the location I frequent, and I haven't really warmed her up to me yet. Outside the starbucks, though, is altogether different. I vape (and i still smoke a lil too) openly, and unabashedly. I don't throw it in other people's faces, but I try to be a polite person, generally.

A recent exception: do you remember those militant non-smokers? You know, the ones that would walk by, mock-coughing and swatting at the air? Saying things like, "I can't believe it's the year two-thousand [whatever] and people still smoke!" ? (i've had this passive aggressive piece flung at me, verbatim). I walked right up to the MFer and blew vape in his face. Needless to say, he was more than a little confused by the strong Cinnamon aroma that billowed out of my mouth.

But yeah... consider the way you presented it before you decide THAT is the reason you're gonna boycott Starbucks. (I'd boycott them on corporate principal alone, but there aren't any other coffee houses around here :( )

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread