Not open for further replies.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
Nothing that you are saying here makes what this company is doing cool. It's not right. Banning tobacco? Ok maybe I can see that. But an ecig is different. Especially in your own vehicle. You gonna try to tell me that someone lost an account because they smoked an ecig in their car on their lunch break? Yeah right.

I will tell you this though. Great response, it's very eloquent and well written. Probably makes me look bad if someone ignorant was reading it. Maybe the FDA's PR department is hiring. You would be a great asset =)

Noone said life was fair bud. How can you possibly think you can argue the case against state farm being on the side of nicotine addiction? They are an insurance company. Whether their policy if fair or not isn't the point.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
Again we should unite. Each and every time we are discriminated against. Every time they try to force us into the cold. We should stand united and tell the anti's. Screw you buddy, you down't own me.

Have you not seen the organizations we have already uniting vapers?

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
At that point, when they control what you do 24/7 you are their property.

They aren't controlling you 24/7. They are saying you can't use this stuff on their property. You can still use the stuff on property they have leased, but not the property they own.

This means if you walk across the street, off their property, you can use them. Have you misunderstood their position this whole time?

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
They aren't controlling you 24/7. They are saying you can't use this stuff on their property. You can still use the stuff on property they have leased, but not the property they own.

This means if you walk across the street, off their property, you can use them. Have you misunderstood their position this whole time?
Actually this quote was from the discussion about nicotine testing. A side discussion with reign. Discussing how some companies prohibit noctine use. So in essence when they ban you from using a legal substance and test your urine for it they are controlling what you do at work at home and everywhere else which is why I said I find it even more offensive. It is invasive. Again, not cool and I am against it.

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
ready for this? , then get a new job.
I certainly wouldn't work for any company I feel is exploiting me. Unless I had no choice. Too often americans don't have that choice. I have worked those types of jobs in the past and I don't like the way that feels at all.

Lucky me, I work at an e-cig stand. Very nice people I work for. Not oppressive or invasive in the least. Their only concern is that I am productive at my job. Which should be any employers main concern. Not whether he smoked a cigarette at his brother's bachelor party last week and has now tested positive for nicotine. That isn't relevant. It is invasive and not cool. I don't want people like that to have my money. I work hard for it. That's all I am saying.

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
Actually this quote was from the discussion about nicotine testing. A side discussion with reign. Discussing how some companies prohibit noctine use. So in essence when they ban you from using a legal substance and test your urine for it they are controlling what you do at work at home and everywhere else which is why I said I find it even more offensive. It is invasive. Again, not cool and I am against it.
I certainly wouldn't work for any company I feel is exploiting me. Unless I had no choice. Too often americans don't have that choice. I have worked those types of jobs in the past and I don't like the way that feels at all.

Lucky me, I work at an e-cig stand. Very nice people I work for. Not oppressive or invasive in the least. Their only concern is that I am productive at my job. Which should be any employers main concern. Not whether he smoked a cigarette at his brother's bachelor party last week and has now tested positive for nicotine. That isn't relevant. It is invasive and not cool. I don't want people like that to have my money. I work hard for it. That's all I am saying.
Nail on the head there Mac, I'm self employed, and like you I'm sensitive to invasive corporate fear tactics. Corporate employees become desensitized to it over time, and obey without question.

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States

Yeah i hear you for sure , that's the way the economy works , my mother refuses to shop at Wal-Mart for very similar reasons "oh they treat their employees terrible , so i wont shop there" cool , that is an honest concern , but once you cross that line... and make the decision to not do business with a given company because of their practices , you better make sure that all the other companies you DO do business with are not the same way.

i told my mom "so you won't shop at walmart because of how they treat their employees? how do you know that Bestbuy or Target or Trader Joes' or Safeway or Sony or Arco or PierOne or anywhere else you shop are treating their employees better?"

People hate "big business" automatically these days , but it's cherry picking , People love Apple... but hate WalMart.... Love Chevy but hate Ford...

I also feel there is ALWAYS ALWAYS another option , the problem is people will continue to work at a job they hate , because they are unwilling to give up the lifestyle that job provides for them.

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
... the problem is people will continue to work at a job they hate , because they are unwilling to give up the lifestyle that job provides for them...

Good point Grimgreen.

To put it harshly.. they suffer a "coward's fate."

I'm very tired of fighting for principals for those who have none. If their policy didn't name "e-cigs" would anyone still care? No? then why should anyone care about e-cig users?

I'm guessing most of us don't care about cigarette taxes anymore. 400% tax doesn't bother anyone who isn't directly effected it seems.

I worked for a company which treated us badly. I gave them hell and complained. Some improvements were made. Naturally I never got that promotion.

I became very popular with other employees, but they spoke out of both sides of their mouth. They cared more about adding "Sr." to their title than eating lunch.

Now I work for me. That's the American dream.

-Gooney0

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
Yeah i hear you for sure , that's the way the economy works , my mother refuses to shop at Wal-Mart for very similar reasons "oh they treat their employees terrible , so i wont shop there" cool , that is an honest concern , but once you cross that line... and make the decision to not do business with a given company because of their practices , you better make sure that all the other companies you DO do business with are not the same way.

i told my mom "so you won't shop at walmart because of how they treat their employees? how do you know that Bestbuy or Target or Trader Joes' or Safeway or Sony or Arco or PierOne or anywhere else you shop are treating their employees better?"

People hate "big business" automatically these days , but it's cherry picking , People love Apple... but hate WalMart.... Love Chevy but hate Ford...

I also feel there is ALWAYS ALWAYS another option , the problem is people will continue to work at a job they hate , because they are unwilling to give up the lifestyle that job provides for them.

You ever seen that documentary? "the low cost of high prices". Wal mart sure ...... off the guy who made that movie. I happen to disagree with quite a few of wally worlds practices, but I am not calling for a boycott against them unless I hear about them discriminating against e-cig users. There is no reason to hassle e-cig users. Anyone who does is a bully on a power trip.

Again you can say whatever you want, but there is no way you are going to change my mind. If you harass e-cig users and I find out about it I will not give you my money. Unless of course you are the federal government, in which case you will just take it from me.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
You ever seen that documentary? "the low cost of high prices". Wal mart sure ...... off the guy who made that movie. I happen to disagree with quite a few of wally worlds practices, but I am not calling for a boycott against them unless I hear about them discriminating against e-cig users. There is no reason to hassle e-cig users. Anyone who does is a bully on a power trip.

Again you can say whatever you want, but there is no way you are going to change my mind. If you harass e-cig users and I find out about it I will not give you my money. Unless of course you are the federal government, in which case you will just take it from me.

Seems your the bully on a powertrip to me. They haven't "hassled" anyone. Just created a company policy that prohibits their use on their owned(not leased) properties. Nothing in it states you can't use them while on duty, or can't possess the stuff on premises. Just says they dont want it used. Your trying to create a mountain out of a mole hill and its getting pathetic.

Your no hero, although you might want to think of yourself that way. If you really wanna make a difference...Go find a company actually persuing E-cig users actively and im sure people would be following suit.

Also, If you think Walmart hasn't stopped the use of E-cigs in their stores, I would do a bit of research. Unless of course, your just arguing and "boycotting" the convenient companies.

PS: Happy thanksgiving Everyone!

Last edited:

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
Seems your the bully on a powertrip to me. They haven't "hassled" anyone. Just created a company policy that prohibits their use on their owned(not leased) properties. Nothing in it states you can't use them while on duty, or can't possess the stuff on premises. Just says they dont want it used. Your trying to create a mountain out of a mole hill and its getting pathetic.

Your no hero, although you might want to think of yourself that way. If you really wanna make a difference...Go find a company actually persuing E-cig users actively and im sure people would be following suit.

Also, If you think Walmart hasn't stopped the use of E-cigs in their stores, I would do a bit of research. Unless of course, your just arguing and "boycotting" the convenient companies.

PS: Happy thanksgiving Everyone!
You really love the sound of your own voice don't you? Do you get a hard on for everyone who disagrees with you?

I have vaped at wal mart countless times. I know several people who work at wal mart and have no issues with vaping in their car on break. Nice try though.

Let me guess. You next post here will be back to "for the children" again. You can demonize me all you want. Doesn't change a thing. I see right through you. You are the only bully here.

Last edited:

scrooby

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Florida, United States
I have allstate, but I never go to an allstate office, never have and never will. So if they made the same policy, it would have no effect on me whatsoever.

Off topic here for a moment, but watch yourself with allstate, close friend had them for 23 years, house,auto. Never ever filed a claim in all that time, no accidents no tickets nothing, then one day his truck is hit by a drunk driver and they drop his auto insurance, he told them where to shove it and canceled his other policies with them.

punkman

Sep 22, 2009
I don't know about everyone else but if a employer treats me badly or has policies I don't agree with I see myself out the door. I have had many opportunities to work for insurance companies but I will not, they treat their employees like their customers. I treat places that I purchase stuff from the same way, don't like the polices I don't purchase from them.

The_janty_Misfit

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
New York City
It is the wave of the future and will become more prevelant as time goes on.

Smokers and Ecig users really have no rights where business is concerned.

This has been in the works for many years and now companies feel they have backing from all the non smoker groups and the medical establishment to back up their policies.

It will be rammed down everyones throat just like health care reform is going to do..!

The idea you see in the whole “corporate-offices-ban-tobacco-products-of-any-kind-on-their-property” thread is interesting because it shows how American social movements work and how early gutlessness can come back to bite you later.

A long, long time ago (I think it was during the Reagan administration), corporations decided that they would start drug-testing programs and therein lies an idea that is finally having a greater impact on more people today than it ever has before.

A great many Americans fail to understand their constitutional rights, and what those rights mean in a broader context and this happy circumstance has allowed companies large and small to confuse the word, ‘employer’ with the word, ‘owner.’

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights protect American citizens from unlawful search and seizure with respect to home, property and person. When the government needs to violate that protection, it requires due process of law, like a search warrant issued by authorities who have formal, documented reasons to suspect someone may have committed some specific illegal act. Corporations are a different animal.

In the mid-eighties, companies were encouraged to weed out drug-use (and undo the philosophical heresies of the Sixties and Seventies) by tying drug-testing to the implied contract in the employer/employee relationship.

This meant that your boss could hold himself to an information-standard with respect to your behavior that the government didn’t and couldn’t give itself. Encouraged by the blessing of successive right-wing administrations and the lack of real outcry or organized opposition, any employer can now consider it his right to demand the kind of insight into your life that even the FBI considered beyond its reach and demanding the right to control your most intimate behavior while on their property is only a small extension of that idea.

This brings us to today and American Social movements.

If you’re reading this, you can pat yourself on the back and say that you’re living through an intense phase in American History and its latest social movement. It’s a movement with all the passion of the movement that ended slavery, or the one that gave women the right to vote, or the one that brought about the miserable idiocy of Prohibition.

The anti-smoking movement is driven by the nasty triumphalist energy that can only come from knowing that your belief-system makes you better than people who don’t share it. Movements like that never take the inconsistency, inaccuracy or unfairness of what they say into account: your race, sexuality or ethnic origin are strictly no one’s business as far as corporate America is concerned; so long as you’re sober on the job, you can drink all the booze you like, but nicotine addiction is fair game and being a smoker, or now even a vaper, is creating a situation where it is beginning to carry all the stigma of being black in Alabama in the fifties--non-smokers consider it their right to tell you to sit in the back of the bus.

We’re becoming a society that is opening the door to people’s worst impulses--one where you might be a complete idiot, and still count yourself as smarter and better than any smoker--offering its participants the pleasure of being part of a mechanism that gives them the power to control other people’s actions without their consent and without compensation.

In the end, it isn’t anything like universal health care because it has nothing whatsoever to do with today’s government, or even with the Reagan administration that refused to slap down companies that made a violation of their employees privacy a condition of their employment. The fault is ours because, way back when, we did nothing whatsoever to stop it.

Big Brother is alive and well, but he works for the boardroom.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Like I always say, "first they came for the smokers..."

Nope. Prior to 1914, all drugs were legal in this country. A politician wouldn't dare to suggest such an intrusion into the private lives of U.S. citizens. So they drummed up a racially motivated hysteria about ....... causing "Negros to rape white women". That was the beginning of the slippery slope we are on now.

By the way, after all of the trillions of dollars spent, and all of the lives that have been ruined and lost enforcing drug prohibition, we still have about the same percentage of addicts in this country as we did prior to 1914.

The criminals have made out pretty well, though.

I don't think this whole "lesser of two evils" voting strategy is working out very well for us.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
You really love the sound of your own voice don't you? Do you get a hard on for everyone who disagrees with you?

I have vaped at wal mart countless times. I know several people who work at wal mart and have no issues with vaping in their car on break. Nice try though.

Let me guess. You next post here will be back to "for the children" again. You can demonize me all you want. Doesn't change a thing. I see right through you. You are the only bully here.

Yeah because I can hear myself when Im typing. Not all of us have to speak along with the words they write.

Ok, so your walmart doesn't have a problem with it. The question was, have you done any sort of research into it? Way to not answer a question presented. Shows how committed you are.

What are you talking about "for the children again"? Make some sense.

I came here originally to post my opinion and you want to treat me as if I am Anti-smoking, Anti-vaping, and anti-protesting. Seems your defensive behavior over absolutely nothing and how you treat everyone with a difference opinion harshly makes you the bully kid.

Like I said before. I sure am glad that you aren't smart enough to run any sort of campaign on your own as it would turn into a disaster for our side.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
Off topic here for a moment, but watch yourself with allstate, close friend had them for 23 years, house,auto. Never ever filed a claim in all that time, no accidents no tickets nothing, then one day his truck is hit by a drunk driver and they drop his auto insurance, he told them where to shove it and canceled his other policies with them.

Seems like there is more to the story than just what you have written.

I've had them for 10 years with 4 claims filed through allstate against other drivers who had hit me, and 1 claim of my own fault. No threats have ever been made, I get alot of good driver discounts, cheap insurance, and the claims I have filed were taken care of quickly and with as little hassle to me as I could imagine.

On the same note, I pay my insurance on time or early, dont get rude with customer service when it is not warranted, and dont expect things from them that are unrealistic. Im sure if I was late paying all the time, always rude, nasty, and prophane on the phone, expected them to upgrade my car radio to an in-dash GPS unit for free when its being repaired, and was partially at fault for an accident with a drunk driver, I'd be dropped too.

Insurance companies are like any other business....bottom line is money. Don't expect more from them than you would expect from any other company.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
I don't know about everyone else but if a employer treats me badly or has policies I don't agree with I see myself out the door. I have had many opportunities to work for insurance companies but I will not, they treat their employees like their customers. I treat places that I purchase stuff from the same way, don't like the polices I don't purchase from them.

So do you research every company and their policies before you purchase anything from them? There comes a point where every company is going to have things that are quirky or something you dont like about them and you would effectively eliminate every business on the face of the planet this way.

People ultimately like to stay blissfully ignorant in order to remain sane in todays marketplace or become full hate as Mac has shown here. If you dont buy from State Farm, you have to buy from somewhere. Good luck finding an insurance company that you agree 100% with each and every policy they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread