c-e2 - Never saw an applicable answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Guava

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
I'm getting that burnt plastic taste/smell.

This happens when I smoke it out of the box or have soaked in alcohol and dry burned, til the coiled wick turned white.

However, what I did notice was that there was a slight bit of smoke coming from under the ceramic bowl. It seems like *something* is burning under there. It happens, even if lit for 1 second.

WTF.

I read about people trying to build a .....ing spaceship out of their c-e2, but the most extensive response to the nasty taste is some form of "soak it in xxxxx".

Anybody?

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
All I can tell you is my experience with them. On an initial rinse and dry burn I usually get some white smoke. I dry burn until there is no more smoke, and never see it again. One thing your post didn't mention is how long you're dry burning. The coils on these are pretty robust and you can dry burn them quite a bit longer than the average atty. If rinsing them doesn't work for you, try boiling them a few minutes before dry burning.

Hope this helps.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I've started boiling and dry burning everything out of the box, attys, cartos, and E2s. And sometimes if, on dryburning, the smoke keeps coming out in excess, I'll boil some more.

Last night I ordered a sonic jewelery cleaner from Amazon for around $25; good reviews. I'll probably still pre-boil but I'm thinking this may come in handy after they are used to help knock more gunk off. I have one E2 that I didn't pre-boil before using and I can't seem to get the bad taste out of it no mater how much boiling I do. The wick inside the coil is nice and white but where it goes through the cup slits is still black. It may go in to scrap pile if more boiling, sonic cleaning, and dry burning doesn't clear out the bad taste.

BTW..... I used to use EverClear to soak everything but ran out. It's not available close by but DH is going in to Dallas today and picking some up or Vodka. That might help, a high drinking alcohol soak before or after boiling.

BTW..... I'm way sensitive to any residues left in the atty/carto/E2 and can taste it when DH can't so mine have to be pristine before I can use them.

Remember, there could be metal protectant residue and/or solder flux residue even if there is no filling put in them.

Alice

Last edited:

Pure Guava

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
All I can tell you is my experience with them. On an initial rinse and dry burn I usually get some white smoke. I dry burn until there is no more smoke, and never see it again. One thing your post didn't mention is how long you're dry burning. The coils on these are pretty robust and you can dry burn them quite a bit longer than the average atty. If rinsing them doesn't work for you, try boiling them a few minutes before dry burning.

Hope this helps.

I have used boiling water, vinegar and 91% iso alcohol.

I've dry burned in 10-15 second intervals, for 1 to 5 minutes.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I have used boiling water, vinegar and 91% iso alcohol.

I've dry burned in 10-15 second intervals, for 1 to 5 minutes.

If it were me I'd take a tube cutter to one and see if there's anything in there that shouldn't be. If you don't see anything obvious (like a glob of glue or something), I don't know what to tell you. I've used dozens of these things and never had a taste problem I couldn't get rid of.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Hmm mine don't taste burnt or anything.

Glue/plastic taste: soak them in boiling water, rinse and smell the carto. soak again until you can't smell the glue

Burning/dry taste: 100% VG might cause wicking problems, use PG/PEG if possible, or add water. Ensure you have Revision4.

Overcooked juice: Use lower voltage batteries and/or high ohm carto's. 3.2ohm carto with 3.3v battery is best for me.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Wonder if you got one thats not a version 4?

I soak all mine and steam clean them before I use them.
The one time I didn't it tasted like um......
I can tell you that one, took a lot of work to revive. Its much better to get them clean first.

I've said it 100 times on here, steam cleaner is the way to go. I did 6 E2's and 4 atomizers yesterday in 10 minutes.
The come out looking like and tasting better than new.

Pure Guava

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
Wonder if you got one thats not a version 4?

I soak all mine and steam clean them before I use them.
The one time I didn't it tasted like um......
I can tell you that one, took a lot of work to revive. Its much better to get them clean first.

I've said it 100 times on here, steam cleaner is the way to go. I did 6 E2's and 4 atomizers yesterday in 10 minutes.
The come out looking like and tasting better than new.

Can you describe the method (tools, etc) of your steam cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread