Calling all Dog lovers - The Ehpro True MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molchi

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2017
Germany
That's what i wasn't sure about, if a loose 510 can cause pressure loss, but seems that exactly this happened, glad it didn't leak through the pin into the mod.

China really needs to improve their QC, a loose 510-pin, getting a second small glass insead of a bubbleglass, then a loose 510 screw, hope thats it now.

I've been almost afraid to type that both of mine have been working wonderfully for a couple-few months now.

Uh oh. I probably shouldn't oughta done/said that. :blink:

Don't worry, my own true's are also working just fine, but maybe you should check your 510-screw too :D

Northnet

Jan 23, 2020
Durham, UK
I've read this thread from start to finish, and it looks like it is as well I did! I have a True on its way, hoping for improved flavour over my current Siren 2. I'm still wrestling to get decent flavour out of the Siren and it is/was supposed to be the ultimate for flavour (before I bought it!). All the issues mentioned in this thread also apply to my experiences with the Siren - leaking, gurgling, spitting, lack of flavour. dry hits - all at various times. I've just discovered that I have been using a too thick wick, so that it vapes just fine after a new build (when the coil is soaked) but then drops off, as I now discover, as the wick dries out inside the bell. I also suffered from too thin wick, when it flooded and leaked etc.

Does this all sound like a True experience or what?! Anyhoo, I have been learning from this thread and armed with everyone's experience I anticipate a leak free, mega vaping experience when I first build the True on arrival. Or not... o_O

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    The very 1st Siren was a flavor banger but suffered from leakage problems, then came the bland no flavor Siren 2, we now have a great tank for flavor and 0 leaks if built correctly. The dry wick will happen with the True if to much wicking material is used. You may have to try different thickness when starting out but when you get it right the flavor and smooth airflow will have you smiling.

Northnet

Jan 23, 2020
    Durham, UK
    Yes, wick thickness and coil diameter is what I am focussing on with the Siren right now. I have cotton strips, so no repeatable way to adjust the thickness. I have been using Slacker Cotton, which suggests 1.5 - 2 for one strip, or 2.5 - 3 for a double strip, so I have been doubling it up and using a tightly bent paper clip to draw it through the 3mm coil. As a method it works a treat, but even at 3mm I got the wick drying out under the coil. I am currently using one strip and 2.5 plain Kanthal coil, which is better. I've just received some Wotofo Xfiber 3mm, and some plain SS316 wire to see what difference it makes. I haven't been bothered about deliberately spacing my coils, but being Kanthal, neither are the coils 'in contact'. I will experiment with spaced SS316 coils when I get around to making some.

By the sound of it, the True seems to like 2.5mm coils(?), and the builds I have seen on this thread have all used spaced coils. Could be a problem seeing I have 3mm cotton :unsure:, so I'll try a 3mm coil first and see how it goes. And then comes the saga of the tails! My instinct is to take them down to the deck and tuck under (you have to leave them long in the Siren or lose a chunk of tank capacity), but I have noted many peeps recommending cutting them shorter to prevent leaking. Time will tell...

Reactions: bigbob2322

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Like any other tank, the EHPRO True has it's learning curve. Once you get past that it's a solid tank. I really like the small format tanks, especially if they expand to 4 or 5 ml.

Off topic, but pertinent to MTL tanks.

I just ordered 3 more Ulton Kayfun Lite 2019 clones with long mode kits for the stash box. That makes 5. It's a solid 24mm RTA that has yet to leak (in my experience) and the flavor is good. If you like the Doggie or the True you'll like the Kayfun 2019 clone. The long mode kit increases the tank height and the capacity to 5ml and includes a removable ring that provides top fill access.

Recommended. $19.68 for the tank. $3.69 for the long mode kit that takes it from 3ml to 5ml juice capacity and adds the removable ring for top filling.

ULTON KF Lite 2019 Style 24mm RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer 3.5ml - Silver

Last edited:

Northnet

Jan 23, 2020
    Durham, UK
    Well, my True arrived (from Greece of all places!). I stuck to my plan and wound a 3mm 26 SS316 7 turns coil, forgot to burn it in, and wicked with 3mm Wotofo Xfiber. I kept the tails just long enough to tuck under the platform. Topped up with some DIY Lemon Tart at 6 nic and went for it.

Just a slight sizzle at 12 Watts, and a beautifully smooth inhale with nice flavour. Now I know better than to say this now, but no immediate leaks, not a hint, and it has been on its side half the time. Tomorrow morning will be interesting!

IMG_20200125_152402.jpg

It looks quite good on my old Eleaf TC40...

IMG_20200125_152608.jpg

...and a bit lost on my GeekVape. But both work just fine. I ditched the drip tip almost immediately, and the drip tip from an old Nautilus 2 happens to match the diameter perfectly. I'm a happy bunny - until tomorrow at least! :thumb:

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Just to be safe seeing it's your first build on the True I would take the tank off your mod before sleep tonight. Wrap the bottom in paper towel and stand upright until morning just to make sure all is good, wouldn't want to ruin your mod if it leaks. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the True drip tip but I love them.

Northnet

Jan 23, 2020
    Durham, UK
    Just to be safe seeing it's your first build on the True I would take the tank off your mod before sleep tonight. Wrap the bottom in paper towel and stand upright until morning just to make sure all is good, wouldn't want to ruin your mod if it leaks. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the True drip tip but I love them.

Sage advice, which I took. However, I am very pleased to report that an Ark was not required next day as not even a seep was apparent. Still early days, but so far so good.

I *could* have got away with the True tip, but I am very familiar with the Nautilus, and it 'fits', so I have stuck with it. So now I have a nice smooth tank, I can get down to re-assessing my DIY liquids more accurately because I was finding many of them way too harsh, and I am thinking that is down to the Siren 2.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I too have read all true posts.

It has mysterious hard to solve leaking for everyone at first, it seems.

For those of you having ongoing problems, I would recommend leaving it out with a quartz crystal overnight during a full moon.

I'm serious. It makes as much sense as any of the other "solutions." My "backup to my backups" came a couple days ago. I fully expect every true to leak at least once. When it's new.

No clue why don't care .Because it is great. My main issue with it now is the dang topfill, That has to be the MOST annoying top fill of all time (well, I am sure someone can come up with worse.. maybe) with the added benefit of knowing if you don't do it fast enough, it's like gonna start leaking through the airholes like a sieve, LOL,.

Have not built my Precio yet from what I hear I may be replacing a BUNCH of doggies. we shall see.

Anna

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    The only reason I have not tried the True is because it has no liquid control. I love the way you refill it but I use High PG liquids that are very thin and I'm afraid it will always leak out the air hole.
    I have 4 True tanks in rotation and all had a leak with the first build, I think it's a rite of passage LOL, but only on the first build. I use a 50/50 mix on everyone of my True tanks. BTW this is the fastest tank to fill especially when driving.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    .. but I use High PG liquids that are very thin and I'm afraid it will always leak out the air hole.
    The pre-mixed nic base I'm using has a 75/25 PG/VG ratio. If I add some flavor(s) to it the ratio gets closer to 80/20 . I found that I have to use a bit more cotton than I think should be enough. The only major leak issue I've had (aside from the 'first time leak' that nearly everyone has experienced) is when I left the fill ports exposed/open for too long a time. This is very similar to what Anna described a few posts earlier.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Yes you are correct, I forgot to close one day receiving a phone call and a couple hrs later had a juice leak. But because of it producing great flavor I granted it my forgiveness after all it was my fault for not closing the fill ports.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    By the sound of it, the True seems to like 2.5mm coils(?), and the builds I have seen on this thread have all used spaced coils.
    I actually switched from 2.5 to 2mm id a long time ago, when I was using doggies. I still do that with the True and now the Precisio. I did it because it just gave me a much better, more flavorful hit. But I think it also makes it more forgiving on wicking. There's limited space in those side channels. And if you use a 3mm (50% wider), you're also going to increase the amount of wicking in the channels, and risk the chimney choking off some of the wicking action. Of course, you can thin the tails, but I'm to lazy to do that anyway.

I really think any mtl'er that hasn't tried it should give 2mm a go. Mine is 316L, 28ga, 7 wraps spaced, about 0.58 ohm. I've tried about everything except exotics, and it's my favorite by far. I accidentally gave an extra wrap one time a month or so ago, and noticed right away that something was off, and it wasn't hitting as good.

Like many, I had a leak on my very first build on the True. That was my only leak ever on it. I'm a firm believer that when dry, that top fill gasket just doesn't make a good seal until you've first built & filled it, and that's why they never leak again. Maybe between being lubed with pg/vg, and given time to properly seat ends that issue.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Have not built my Precio yet from what I hear I may be replacing a BUNCH of doggies. we shall see.
    Anna
    Well, Anna- you just might replace the doggies. Precisio delivers a much more flavorful, dense vape than doggies & True (or anything else I've ever tried), by a large margin. At first, it took over and I never touched my Trues. But to be honest, it's really so powerful a hit, that I keep a True on the desk, just to get a lighter hit sometimes. I've gotten to the point that I mix it up throughout the day, occasionally hitting Vladdin, Alto, True and Precisio.(but the Alto's going away when the pods are empty - they wick terribly, and give a burned flavor in a very short time).

But that Precisio is really just an unbelievably great vape, and a great tank.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Well, Anna- you just might replace the doggies. Precisio delivers a much more flavorful, dense vape than doggies & True (or anything else I've ever tried), by a large margin. At first, it took over and I never touched my Trues. But to be honest, it's really so powerful a hit, that I keep a True on the desk, just to get a lighter hit sometimes. I've gotten to the point that I mix it up throughout the day, occasionally hitting Vladdin, Alto, True and Precisio.(but the Alto's going away when the pods are empty - they wick terribly, and give a burned flavor in a very short time).

But that Precisio is really just an unbelievably great vape, and a great tank.
    I would already own one but I really hate Ultem, how are your threads holding up so far?

Northnet

Jan 23, 2020
    Durham, UK
    About the filling, mine too has that nasty looking cut out in the seal which leaves a very narrow slot in the centre, and a slightly wider space at each end. I have been filling with an old pipette(?), the ones that used to come with pre-made juice in 30ml bottles before TPD was inflicted by the EU, with a rubber bulb on the end. There is no way one of these tips will fit into the True fill holes, but I have found that if the pipette is held vertical against the fill hole, the juice goes straight in, so long as you don't try to rush it. A small amount of juice (less than a drip) gathers around the hole but this is easily wiped off once the fill cap is closed. I do have a bunch of needle nose bottles but for no good reason I took to using the old juice bottles instead.

Northnet

Jan 23, 2020
    Durham, UK
    I actually switched from 2.5 to 2mm id a long time ago, when I was using doggies. I still do that with the True and now the Precisio. I did it because it just gave me a much better, more flavorful hit. But I think it also makes it more forgiving on wicking. There's limited space in those side channels. And if you use a 3mm (50% wider), you're also going to increase the amount of wicking in the channels, and risk the chimney choking off some of the wicking action. Of course, you can thin the tails, but I'm to lazy to do that anyway.

I really think any mtl'er that hasn't tried it should give 2mm a go. Mine is 316L, 28ga, 7 wraps spaced, about 0.58 ohm. I've tried about everything except exotics, and it's my favorite by far. I accidentally gave an extra wrap one time a month or so ago, and noticed right away that something was off, and it wasn't hitting as good.
    <snip>
    I'm stuck with 3mm cotton right now, and 26ga 316L wire. I will order some 2mm, and 28ga wire next time and give it a whirl. Any thoughts on SS vs Kanthal?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread