Can anyone lean me in the right direction..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
not sure about dual but if you want flavor then the profile mesh rda you can't go wrong with

Agree. I only vape mesh rda's now days and my vaping is all about intense flavor. The Profile is 'THE' easiest mesh RDA to get right with the very first build... the one I suggest anyone new to mesh RDA's start with.

Thanks for your response Shadav!

I should have mentioned that I don't want to mess with Mesh RTA's , I am a rebuilding newbie and if you mess those up it's easy to get dry hits so I hear. And I also heard the flavor is kind of on par with the mesh pro triple coils, so I am looking for more flavor then those hehe.

No doubt a dry hit on a mesh fire breathing dragon will ruin your day. By design it will be much more intense that a coil build. But dry hit cause is no different with mesh builds than with coil builds.... it's entirely operator error, not the gear itself. A build with 100% contact between the mesh and wick and keeping the wick charged with joose will prevent a dry hit. And just like with coil builds a mesh build gives you warning signs that if recognized by you will prevent you from ever getting a dry hit in them. I suffered one on my very first mesh RDA around 17-18 months ago as I was learning how to build it right. Have never had another and now days I vape 21 mesh RDA's (9 of them are Profiles).

I DLH... with a saturated wick on my regulated mod/mesh builds I can get a dozen or more pulls between squonking the mesh wicks again - on the mech mod/mesh builds maybe a third less simply because they run at higher to much higher wattage.

@tara81 – your concerns toward a mesh RDA are valid. But would just like to address that every RDA has its own quirks and learning curve. Mesh, most notably the Profile RDA is no more difficult to setup than your usual single or even dual coil RDA – it’s just different. Once you become accustom to how it works and what is needed to set it up, which does not take long at all, it becomes second nature. If you are a fan of mesh subohm tanks, the Profile RDA offers a lot of similarities.

The low mass and high surface area of mesh is very efficient in comparison to a many coil-based setups. The positive to this is you enjoy instant ramp up time with little needed power. And because of its low mass, it cools back to room temperature instantly which can lead to a more consistent vape especially if you chain vape a lot.

The amount of cotton that is needed for mesh, which is roughly 3x that of a single 3mm coil, may look intimidating and wasteful. But the wick lasts so much longer than a typical coil (sans dry burns) that in the end you are actually using less cotton. With some of my sugary based juices, which dictates a re-wick after 3 to 4 days with a regular coil, my wick with the Profile has lasted over a month and even then, it did not look any worse for wear.

As for flavour – flavour is very subjective so you will always receive many different opinions on it. The Profile is very flavourful, but because it is a fixed system, meaning there is no coil positioning needed, it offers a very consistent flavour. Where with a coil you may have to tinker to find that sweet spot. In the end only you can answer whether the flavour it offers suits you or not. Unfortunately, that means you have to try it to discover for yourself.

It is true that mesh is less forgiving than a typical coil in terms of dry burns – they can come suddenly and be quite aggressive! But once you discover where that threshold is, which again is a short learning curve, dry burns become a thing of the past. The Profile helps mitigate this with a spring loaded pressure plate under the wick - so as your cotton degrades, the plate is pushing the wick up against the mesh alleviating any voids that can result to hot spots which is the cause of dry burns. And of course you just have to ensure the wick is nice and saturated…but that is a given for either system (coil and mesh!)

The biggest con that I see with the Profile, is that it takes a lot more effort to squonk. The cotton which resides directly over the squonk pin does create a bit of back pressure which grants a harder squeeze of the bottle. And because there is so much wick, you may have to squonk a few times in order to fully saturate. But this could be lessened by changing the frequency in which you squonk.

Despite being a huge fan of the Profile RDA I won’t say that it is better or worse than your usual coil based RDA – just different. That difference has great value to me and judging by some of the comments on this thread along with others, many feel the same.

Long post but hope it clarifies some of the misconceptions with the Profile mesh.

^^^great post^^^

People say the mesh rdas have the same flavour as the mesh pro triple coil tank... I want more flavour if it’s possible, which is one reason why I don’t want to rda with mesh....I mentioned this earlier

I have no experience with that other tank mentioned, but I have a lot of it with Vandy Vape Mesh, Digiflavor Mesh Pro and Wotofo Profile Mesh RDA's. And all of these can easily be flavor monsters.

Flavor is subjective to personal taste, AND all of the many other elements involved in vaping that play a roll in flavor (vaping style, the gear, the build, etc, etc, etc). If you vape premade joose those other elements are all you have to work with to change the flavor. If you DIY you can match the joose to each of those elements and your personal taste far better. I've done DIY from the start (6 years) because premade liquids didn't get it done for me.

Profiles on mech squonk gear (but I also have some on regulated squonk).
profileP67ss.jpg DS-ProfileS.jpg profile6mods.jpg

Digiflavor Mesh Pro's on regulated squonk (but also have some on TC mods).
dmp6mods.jpg

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Thanks everyone! I am looking for the best for flavour. :) I want more coils but I do want to vape safely, hopefully vaping 60-100 watts on a regulated squonk mod is safe. I would be using two batteries. I’m not sure what squonk mod to use. I don’t think it would be easy to find titanium premade Clapton coils, I’m allergic to stainless steel and nickel so unless I use titanium I cannot temp mode vape. So maybe it doesn’t matter if the mod has temp control.
Kanthal A1 will be your best bet for flavor if you are allergic to both SS 316L and Nichrome 80. There exist spools of premade fused clapton wire, alien wire, etc. of various qualities (most of them rather disappointing IMO) that you can buy, and, you could search for places where decent handmade coils are sold, BUT... I highly recommend that you learn to build your own advanced coils with a drill and swivels, if you have the time and dedication for it. Doing this lets you tailor your own vape experience to your own personal preferences (that is, as opposed to merely settling for that which someone else likes...), albeit there is a learning curve, and, the best way to explore your own personal preferences is by trial and error. So yeah, it's a lot of hard work because it's called a flavor chasing HOBBY, but immediately I'll add that, no, those who insist that it isn't worth the trouble are typically not those who speak from true experience. Whereas, personally, I, DO speak from first-hand experience.

That said, I think a nice example of a quality squonk mod that is regulated and uses dual 18650 batteries is the Rage 155 watts Squonk Mod by OhmBoyOC and Desire Designs. As for RDAs that are squonkable, I highly recommend the TERK V2 RDA in black (as the black version is the one that comes with a gold plated build deck, whereas the silver version comes with a stainless steel build deck, and that you said you are allergic to, so...), which comes with a squonk pin already included in the package, is very easy to build, looks gorgeous, and is right up there with the best when it comes to flavor performance IMO. The asking price for this RDA is reasonable and fair, also IMO. Finally, temp control doesn't work with Kanthal A1 despite some claims to the contrary, but IMO it really doesn't matter at all because, of all the flavor chasers I know, nobody uses temp control. I mean, I live in a country where online sales of vaping products have legally been banned so I am forced to go to a local B&M store where knowledgeable flavor chasers come and talk to each other in person as opposed to listen to what the "reviewers" say, I build my own advanced coils, and, I own multiple dozens of high end RDAs so I think I know what I am talking about, especially if talking about the flavor chasing topic.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Kanthal A1 will be your best bet for flavor if you are allergic to both SS 316L and Nichrome 80. There exist spools of premade fused clapton wire, alien wire, etc. of various qualities (most of them rather disappointing IMO) that you can buy, and, you could search for places where decent handmade coils are sold, BUT... I highly recommend that you learn to build your own advanced coils with a drill and swivels, if you have the time and dedication for it. Doing this lets you tailor your own vape experience to your own personal preferences (that is, as opposed to merely settling for that which someone else likes...), albeit there is a learning curve, and, the best way to explore your own personal preferences is by trial and error. So yeah, it's a lot of hard work because it's called a flavor chasing HOBBY, but immediately I'll add that, no, those who insist that it isn't worth the trouble are typically not those who speak from true experience. Whereas, personally, I, DO speak from first-hand experience.

That said, I think a nice example of a quality squonk mod that is regulated and uses dual 18650 batteries is the Rage 155 watts Squonk Mod by OhmBoyOC and Desire Designs. As for RDAs that are squonkable, I highly recommend the TERK V2 RDA in black (as the black version is the one that comes with a gold plated build deck, whereas the silver version comes with a stainless steel build deck, and that you said you are allergic to, so...), which comes with a squonk pin already included in the package, is very easy to build, looks gorgeous, and is right up there with the best when it comes to flavor performance IMO. The asking price for this RDA is reasonable and fair, also IMO. Finally, temp control doesn't work with Kanthal A1 despite some claims to the contrary, but IMO it really doesn't matter at all because, of all the flavor chasers I know, nobody uses temp control. I mean, I live in a country where online sales of vaping products have legally been banned so I am forced to go to a local B&M store where knowledgeable flavor chasers come and talk to each other in person as opposed to listen to what the "reviewers" say, I build my own advanced coils, and, I own multiple dozens of high end RDAs so I think I know what I am talking about, especially if talking about the flavor chasing topic.
Building exotic coils imho is a hobby on the level of knitting or fly tying. Nothing wrong with it. It’s productive and you can get products of much higher quality than modern manufacturing can provide. Still, it’s a full on hobby. Not everyone has time for those.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Building exotic coils imho is a hobby on the level of knitting or fly tying. Nothing wrong with it. It’s productive and you can get products of much higher quality than modern manufacturing can provide. Still, it’s a full on hobby. Not everyone has time for those.
Talking on the internet about advanced coils instead of actually trying them before talking is IMHO a hobby on the level of being full of it. I'm sure others will agree.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I know a couple, but before recommending, a few questions:
- what kind of vape setup has been best for you so far? Specifically in terms of ohms/watts and if an RDA or RTA, what kind of coi? Just cuz some RDA's shine for lower settings or mechs, and some are more suited to a high powered mod.
- why duals? Is it because you think that will increase flavor output, or for some other reason/preference? Just wondering - and again, the answer might influence the RDA choice...

Can anyone list some good dual coil RDA's that can be used for squonking, and produce intense flavor? Can you also explain what coils work well ? (single / clapton / etc)

I am just looking for intense flavor. I have tried the daranger and didn't get good flavor. The best flavor i got so far is from the mesh pro tank but I heard you can get a lot more flavor from squonking !

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@dripster @bombastinator – for the sake of the OP who I gather is trying to learn something, can we refrain from the personal jabs and derailing the thread? Both agree to disagree or take your quarrels privately.

@tara81 – dripster did bring a valid point on the various qualities of pre-made spools and or coils of the Clapton type style. It is not a one size fits all which does come with a level of understanding as to how a specific coil will operate within your build’s. That is not to say you NEED to make your own Clapton type wire and wind your own coils, but be prepared for a little trial and error while you find something that suits your needs. The same goes for regular coils but with them the learning curve is generally not as steep

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
@dripster @bombastinator – for the sake of the OP who I gather is trying to learn something, can we refrain from the personal jabs and derailing the thread? Both agree to disagree or take your quarrels privately.

@tara81 – dripster did bring a valid point on the various qualities of pre-made spools and or coils of the Clapton type style. It is not a one size fits all which does come with a level of understanding as to how a specific coil will operate within your build’s. That is not to say you NEED to make your own Clapton type wire and wind your own coils, but be prepared for a little trial and error while you find something that suits your needs. The same goes for regular coils but with them the learning curve is generally not as steep
First off, when someone jumps in and judges the performance of advanced coils WHICH THIS SOMEONE HAS CLEARLY NEVER TRIED, logically it follows that this someone is leaning everyone in the wrong direction, by pure definition alone. So your remark regarding personal jabs and derailing the thread contributes nothing useful to the discussion at hand.

Secondly, you DO NEED to make your own clapton type wire and wind your own coils, or at the very least you need to go shopping for decent quality handmade advanced coils, to learn what's out there. That's just because if you don't, you'll never know what's best, which you'll be able to then keep denying till hell freezes over, but the downside of that will be that people who are sane will know, with certainty, that you are indeed completely full of it, and, if you want to be completely full of it, then by all means go for it. I've gotten fairly used to this kind of trash talk as I've seen it many times before, and was expecting no different here.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Can anyone list some good dual coil RDA's that can be used for squonking, and produce intense flavor? Can you also explain what coils work well ? (single / clapton / etc)

I am just looking for intense flavor. I have tried the daranger and didn't get good flavor. The best flavor i got so far is from the mesh pro tank but I heard you can get a lot more flavor from squonking !

Two of my fav all time flavor delivery devices…

The first (left) happens to be a Derringer with an authentic famous mod maker's taller increased chamber cap for it. Albeit convenient, it does tend to go hot and diffuse, with the low-rider original flat top cap. Not an easy build but it can be with thinner gauges up to 25AWG.
The 2nd an Origen v3, one of the very best dual-coil verticals ever made and supported sqwonking. I've found almost anything can be made into an intense vapor producing phenom if you can control for density consistently. On that score you gals can outperform us fella's handily. In part by making best advantage of some of the methods I've discussed on this forum elsewhere.
Nudge me if you decide to try and can't connect with some answers.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I know a couple, but before recommending, a few questions:
- what kind of vape setup has been best for you so far? Specifically in terms of ohms/watts and if an RDA or RTA, what kind of coi? Just cuz some RDA's shine for lower settings or mechs, and some are more suited to a high powered mod.
- why duals? Is it because you think that will increase flavor output, or for some other reason/preference? Just wondering - and again, the answer might influence the RDA choice...

80 watts triple mesh pro by freemax has been the best flavour for me so far. Followed by dual mesh falcon at 60-70 watts. I was set in my ways for a long time that mtl vaping was the best, but once I tried the derringer I realized DL was better for flavour for me. I tried rebuilding on mtl rdas and couldn’t find the flavour I wanted. I have trouble tasting my juice , maybe it’s because I vape 0 nicotine. I diy my ejuices because bought juices are too hard to taste. I figure more coils = more surface for more vapor = more flavour. I want to vape at 60-100 watts. Maybe things have changed since I last heard about mesh rda’s, maybe they produce more flavour then the very first one that was out. So now I guess I will have to try mesh rda and dual coil rdas to see what I like better.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Gotcha.

1 - you can BF a Derringer! just sayin'

2 - I like the original Goon, 22mm if you can find it. Pretty big airflow, good flavor (though the desing doesn't make you expect it - it's good). And good for bottomfeeding. Not readily available but maybe out there and never was really expensive, so should be cheap used...

3 - I'm gonna go a little out there and suggest QP Kali.
Thing is big, but good flavor, very good value, and very flexible. Room for exotic coils, but I'm running dual SS simple wire coils and I like it. Big-... holes, but I have it dialed down to "restricted lung" (about halfway open). Nice package with different bits to use, too.

Here's Goon on left, Kali on right:

GoonVKali.jpg

And a stock pic of Kali package
kali_v2_112_720x.jpg

80 watts triple mesh pro by freemax has been the best flavour for me so far. Followed by dual mesh falcon at 60-70 watts. I was set in my ways for a long time that mtl vaping was the best, but once I tried the derringer I realized DL was better for flavour for me. I tried rebuilding on mtl rdas and couldn’t find the flavour I wanted. I have trouble tasting my juice , maybe it’s because I vape 0 nicotine. I diy my ejuices because bought juices are too hard to taste. I figure more coils = more surface for more vapor = more flavour. I want to vape at 60-100 watts. Maybe things have changed since I last heard about mesh rda’s, maybe they produce more flavour then the very first one that was out. So now I guess I will have to try mesh rda and dual coil rdas to see what I like better.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
First off, when someone jumps in and judges the performance of advanced coils WHICH THIS SOMEONE HAS CLEARLY NEVER TRIED, logically it follows that this someone is leaning everyone in the wrong direction, by pure definition alone. So your remark regarding personal jabs and derailing the thread contributes nothing useful to the discussion at hand.

Secondly, you DO NEED to make your own clapton type wire and wind your own coils, or at the very least you need to go shopping for decent quality handmade advanced coils, to learn what's out there. That's just because if you don't, you'll never know what's best, which you'll be able to then keep denying till hell freezes over, but the downside of that will be that people who are sane will know, with certainty, that you are indeed completely full of it, and, if you want to be completely full of it, then by all means go for it. I've gotten fairly used to this kind of trash talk as I've seen it many times before, and was expecting no different here.

And your response to @bombastinator contributed how to this thread? It is all too common that every thread you get involved with gets derailed with heated debates and lobbing red X’s back and forth like hand grenades. The problem is obvious!

As for your second comment, which if you took the time to read, contradicts yourself – you obviously failed to acknowledge that I agreed with your statement in regards to various quality of pre-made spools and coils. But one does not need a drill and a swivel to understand the characteristics behind various gauges and coil making techniques. This is not about you, your values and methods. There are many extremely content users out there who purchase either pre-made spools or coils. What they use may not side with your values, but failing to acknowledge their vales is a sign of unacceptance. Put the guard down dude and just accept that someone may have a different opinion and or approach toward vaping than you do.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

@Punk In Drublic has a point. You want to be assumptive and insulting let’s do it. I personally think it will be fun. But elsewhere.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Gotcha.

1 - you can BF a Derringer! just sayin'

2 - I like the original Goon, 22mm if you can find it. Pretty big airflow, good flavor (though the desing doesn't make you expect it - it's good). And good for bottomfeeding. Not readily available but maybe out there and never was really expensive, so should be cheap used...

3 - I'm gonna go a little out there and suggest QP Kali.
Thing is big, but good flavor, very good value, and very flexible. Room for exotic coils, but I'm running dual SS simple wire coils and I like it. Big-... holes, but I have it dialed down to "restricted lung" (about halfway open). Nice package with different bits to use, too.

Here's Goon on left, Kali on right:

View attachment 802953
And a stock pic of Kali package
View attachment 802955
You can BF in a derringer?! How pray tell? Mine doesn’t have a squonk pin. Perhaps because it is likely a clone (it wasn’t expensive). Are BF pins available still?

• Agree
Reactions: Skeebo

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@tara81 – apologize for my above rant. I thought my earlier post would have warrant some consideration from a certain individual so they would refrain from their usual heated debates and condescending remarks. Obviously I was wrong!
*does enjoy heated debates and condescending remarks*
Fair enough. I’ll work on it.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
There exists no linear relationship between the amount of vapor production and flavor performance. A dual coil RDA generally makes it easier to, when compared to a single coil RDA that is similar in chamber size and in restrictiveness of airflow, achieve a cooler vape as the generation of heat is dispersed more.

I vape on both dual coil and single coil RDAs. My favorite single coil RDA is the Deathwish Modz 24mm Deathtrap RDA; it also comes with a squonk pin already included in the package. Several many juices taste bland and/or off balance for me if the vape either is too cool or is too warm. I have no real preference between cool or warm. It largely depends on what juice I'm vaping. A single big framed alien (also known as a 'fralien') coil used at a bit higher wattage can produce the same as or actually even bigger amount of vapor than two medium/small-sized alien coils in a dual coil configuration can. Aliens and fraliens may seem like they are very difficult to make. But it doesn't take that long to fully master them, usually it takes no more than a few failed attempts, and, there exist at least half a dozen other coil types that you can try to build in the mean time, like, for example, the staggered fused clapton (SFC).

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
And your response to @bombastinator contributed how to this thread? It is all too common that every thread you get involved with gets derailed with heated debates and lobbing red X’s back and forth like hand grenades. The problem is obvious!

As for your second comment, which if you took the time to read, contradicts yourself – you obviously failed to acknowledge that I agreed with your statement in regards to various quality of pre-made spools and coils. But one does not need a drill and a swivel to understand the characteristics behind various gauges and coil making techniques. This is not about you, your values and methods. There are many extremely content users out there who purchase either pre-made spools or coils. What they use may not side with your values, but failing to acknowledge their vales is a sign of unacceptance. Put the guard down dude and just accept that someone may have a different opinion and or approach toward vaping than you do.
My response to him contributed to this thread because my point is very much valid; he has been judging flavor performance of a whole plethora of advanced coil builds by merely trash talking about them instead of by vaping on them. I'm not going to waste time reading the rest of your replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My response to him contributed to this thread because my point is very much valid; he has been judging flavor performance of a whole plethora of advanced coil builds by merely trash talking about them instead of by vaping on them. I'm not going to waste time reading the rest of your replies.
For those probably extremely few who may be interested in this particular issue it may be continued here: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/bombastinator-vs-dripster-battle-of-the-ers.899863/

• Optimistic
Reactions: dripster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread