Can anyone lean me in the right direction..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Can anyone list some good dual coil rda's that can be used for squonking, and produce intense flavor? Can you also explain what coils work well ? (single / clapton / etc)

I am just looking for intense flavor. I have tried the daranger and didn't get good flavor. The best flavor i got so far is from the mesh pro tank but I heard you can get a lot more flavor from squonking !

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
not sure about dual but if you want flavor then the profile mesh rda you can't go wrong with

Thanks for your response Shadav!

I should have mentioned that I don't want to mess with Mesh RTA's , I am a rebuilding newbie and if you mess those up it's easy to get dry hits so I hear. And I also heard the flavor is kind of on par with the mesh pro triple coils, so I am looking for more flavor then those hehe.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Can anyone list some good dual coil RDA's that can be used for squonking, and produce intense flavor?
I’m more of a single coil RDA guy, but you want an RDA that has “bf” or “bf pin” somewhere near the name or in the description.
Can you also explain what coils work well ? (single / clapton / etc)
There is intense disagreement about this. There is a following for gigantic super subohm fused Claptons of various types, which are viewed by those outside the following as potentially dangerous in some devices, wasteful of power, and not significantly better than a more sane build. They are exceptionally annoying and complicated to wrap. So much so that unless you want to make coil wrapping a hobby it is better to buy them singly.
I am just looking for intense flavor. I have tried the daranger and didn't get good flavor. The best flavor i got so far is from the mesh pro tank but I heard you can get a lot more flavor from squonking !
Did you mean the derringer? Very very small single coil RDA? They were good for their time but are now a bit dated.

There is a squonkable mesh RDA which is quite popular. I believe it is single coil (though the coil is very very large)
Wotofo Profile RDA | 24mm Mesh Clamp Style Rebuildable Squonking Atomizer
I’m toying with buying one atm. I’m not sure I want to get into a different kind of wire though.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I love my profile and it also takes coils but it is only single coil not dual

I haven't had any issues with dry hits from it and it is extremely easy to wick with the mesh
I mean with every new atty there is always a learning curve but especial when squonking no really issues with dry hit, once the flavor starts to diminish just squeeze a bit and you're good to go

another easy one, which can take quad coils lmfao is the 454 big block, instead of having posts the leads are held by a ring you screw down and one center post [edit] i don't think it's able to be used on squonk mods those....

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
what are you planning to put this atty on? I kinda go by the one battery per coil rule myself. I use single battery mech sqounkers pretty much exclusively so my knowledge is pretty much limited to single coil set ups with little micro aliens or fused claptons 2x28/40 Ni90 2.5mm 5 wraps...right around 0.23. Some good single coil squonk atties in my opinion are Psyclone Citadel, Haku Phenom, Cruiser, Venna, Armor v1 or V2 (can be run singla or dual ), Gas mods Nova, Asmodus C4 ( $17.95 at vapor range right now),Wotofo recurve or Nudge 22, are a couple off the top of my head...al are pretty easy to build if you are just starting out...another thing that might make your coil building confidence grow is to try the rectangle wire from K-Bee either NI80 or Stainless Steel....gives you the surface area of a smaller alien but is super easy to work with....great for single coils

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
The Drop Dead, Dead Rabbit, and Pulse v2 are all excellent dual coil, Squonk capable rda’s. I’ve used Clapton’s, single wire, and twisted coils in them with great success. The Drop Dead is my current favorite of the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Thanks everyone! I am looking for the best for flavour. :) I want more coils but I do want to vape safely, hopefully vaping 60-100 watts on a regulated squonk mod is safe. I would be using two batteries. I’m not sure what squonk mod to use. I don’t think it would be easy to find titanium premade Clapton coils, I’m allergic to stainless steel and nickel so unless I use titanium I cannot temp mode vape. So maybe it doesn’t matter if the mod has temp control.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks everyone! I am looking for the best for flavour. :) I want more coils but I do want to vape safely, hopefully vaping 60-100 watts on a regulated squonk mod is safe. I would be using two batteries. I’m not sure what squonk mod to use. I don’t think it would be easy to find titanium premade Clapton coils, I’m allergic to stainless steel and nickel so unless I use titanium I cannot temp mode vape. So maybe it doesn’t matter if the mod has temp control.
If you squonk you need an RDA and they are all wrapped coil devices anyway. Titanium is reportedly not great for exotic coils. You would need to wrap your own radiator coils to get high flavor TC DL out of an RDA. A radiator coil will do what a fused Clapton exotic does, but the vape is cooler. More like a mesh coil. They are high ohm rather than low ohm. I’m vaping a pair right now. 5mm 28ga 316L stainless 9 wraps @ 28w. The coils are 2ohm each to make a 1ohm set. Goes through juice almost as bad as a fused Clapton exotic though battery life is better. Also I can run it in TC.
radiator coil wire needs to be very thin and very stiff. I don’t know if titanium would be good for it or not. Maybe I’ll try some.

There are advantages to VV mods besides TC. They are a lot safer and more versatile than mechs.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
The Drop Dead, Dead Rabbit, and Pulse v2 are all excellent dual coil, Squonk capable rda’s. I’ve used Clapton’s, single wire, and twisted coils in them with great success. The Drop Dead is my current favorite of the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, HELL NO and yes.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@tara81 – your concerns toward a mesh RDA are valid. But would just like to address that every RDA has its own quirks and learning curve. Mesh, most notably the Profile RDA is no more difficult to setup than your usual single or even dual coil RDA – it’s just different. Once you become accustom to how it works and what is needed to set it up, which does not take long at all, it becomes second nature. If you are a fan of mesh subohm tanks, the Profile RDA offers a lot of similarities.

The low mass and high surface area of mesh is very efficient in comparison to a many coil-based setups. The positive to this is you enjoy instant ramp up time with little needed power. And because of its low mass, it cools back to room temperature instantly which can lead to a more consistent vape especially if you chain vape a lot.

The amount of cotton that is needed for mesh, which is roughly 3x that of a single 3mm coil, may look intimidating and wasteful. But the wick lasts so much longer than a typical coil (sans dry burns) that in the end you are actually using less cotton. With some of my sugary based juices, which dictates a re-wick after 3 to 4 days with a regular coil, my wick with the Profile has lasted over a month and even then, it did not look any worse for wear.

As for flavour – flavour is very subjective so you will always receive many different opinions on it. The Profile is very flavourful, but because it is a fixed system, meaning there is no coil positioning needed, it offers a very consistent flavour. Where with a coil you may have to tinker to find that sweet spot. In the end only you can answer whether the flavour it offers suits you or not. Unfortunately, that means you have to try it to discover for yourself.

It is true that mesh is less forgiving than a typical coil in terms of dry burns – they can come suddenly and be quite aggressive! But once you discover where that threshold is, which again is a short learning curve, dry burns become a thing of the past. The Profile helps mitigate this with a spring loaded pressure plate under the wick - so as your cotton degrades, the plate is pushing the wick up against the mesh alleviating any voids that can result to hot spots which is the cause of dry burns. And of course you just have to ensure the wick is nice and saturated…but that is a given for either system (coil and mesh!)

The biggest con that I see with the Profile, is that it takes a lot more effort to squonk. The cotton which resides directly over the squonk pin does create a bit of back pressure which grants a harder squeeze of the bottle. And because there is so much wick, you may have to squonk a few times in order to fully saturate. But this could be lessened by changing the frequency in which you squonk.

Despite being a huge fan of the Profile RDA I won’t say that it is better or worse than your usual coil based RDA – just different. That difference has great value to me and judging by some of the comments on this thread along with others, many feel the same.

Long post but hope it clarifies some of the misconceptions with the Profile mesh.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    A basic premise is that 'the smaller the chamber - the more intense the flavor'.
    The old A7 mini (good luck finding one) is still the flavor king of all atomizers. (and it's just a single coil MTL atomizer)

Squonking is nothing more than a method of getting juice into the atomizer, and has nothing to do with the atomizer's ability to produce flavor.
    Dripping is still the best way to produce flavor however, and squonking is nothing more than dripping from the bottom of the atomizer instead of the top.

tara81

ECF Veteran
    Mar 13, 2014
    canada
    A basic premise is that 'the smaller the chamber - the more intense the flavor'.
    The old A7 mini (good luck finding one) is still the flavor king of all atomizers. (and it's just a single coil MTL atomizer)

Squonking is nothing more than a method of getting juice into the atomizer, and has nothing to do with the atomizer's ability to produce flavor.
    Dripping is still the best way to produce flavor however, and squonking is nothing more than dripping from the bottom of the atomizer instead of the top.

I have tried berserker mini , Kay fun prime, and doggystyle clone rta with various coils, with no luck getting good enough flavour. The derringer beat them out in flavour, and the triple and double mesh tanks from falcon and freemax best the derringer out for me. Someone mentioned if you coil wrap double coils and drip you will get better flavour then the triple mesh freemax. So I’m just looking for more flavour.

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    some people swear buy dual coils, me personally, na, never noticed a difference over single or dual.... so far nothing beats my profile with mesh
    but then I just use standard coils and usually micro coils, I don't do the big fancy crazy builds
    but I also vape around 20w

it all really depends on how you vape....sure you might get better flavor from a dual coil build, but it's probably going to be like .05ohm and 150w or something.... and that style of vaping just ain't for me

Black wings

ECF Veteran
    Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    The tsunami 24 was the budget option for amazing flavour with simple 25 awg kanthal coils coming in at 0.3/2.5mm 7 wrap but the American made Kennedy 24 with a pair of flatwire claptons (as) coming in at 0.2 was amazing. You did have to saying carefully due to the under coil airflow but the deck is very deep so not too many issues.
    Interestingly a single coil squonk designed rda like the hadeon from phsyclone mods (clones of all the above available at around $10) loaded with a brochrome (flat nichrome) coil 24awg six wraps at 0.3 can blow you away for something so simple.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    People say the mesh rdas have the same flavour as the mesh pro triple coil tank... I want more flavour if it’s possible, which is one reason why I don’t want to rda with mesh....I mentioned this earlier

That is incorrect. I own both and subjectively I feel the Profile Mesh RDA produces more flavour than the Triple Mesh subohm. The flavour is more dense and there is much more vapor. I also own many single and dual coil RDA’s – again I will not say they are better or worse but different.

Example: Vaping on Dinner Lady’s Lemon Tart right now. With the Profile Mesh the lemon curd and pastry notes are more balanced. With a coil RDA, there is more lemon curd than pastry notes. Obviously someone else’s experience may vary for we all taste differently but one can choose which they prefer.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Flavour is a factor of vapor production vs air. Too much air and flavour diminishes. Incorrectly directed air and flavour diminishes. Vapor production can be increased by adding more coil surface area, as with a second coil, but in doing so you are also increasing the RDA’s internal volume which effectively adds more air. There is some fact to @tj99959 comment on smaller chamber’s contribute to more flavour, but that is not always the case for the direction of air, and it’s turbulence it is also very important.

As an example: Lets look at the Freemax Triple vs the Single. The Triple employs a much less dense mesh so technically it has less surface area over the Single. But, by using 3 smaller holes vs 1 larger it changes that vapor to air ratio.

It is more complex than this but in saving on writing out a novel on flavour this is the short and dirty explanation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread