can anything beat the screwdriver honestly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericscott

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Grove city ohio
The 510 is awesome, but apparently the Prodigy from puresmoker is where it's at. I don't have one personally due to the size but since you have a sd it may be right up your alley.
Wait about a week and go to www.hardassvapor.com and get there magum and you will not use the screwdriver no more.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
If you try a device like a Prodigy (Puresmoker) running at 5volts or a Zi Moshi (hardassvapor) or GG (some UK retailer) putting out 6 volts, you may find very little use for your Screwdriver. High-Voltage vaping is quite good with analog-like throat hit, better battery life than screw-ins and sealed batteries so you can drip like you can on the Screwdriver. I rarely vape at 3.7 volts anymore.

Many folks are satisfied with the 3.7 volts from a normal e-cig and may not enjoy a higher powered device. If you like the SD and that voltage, definitely check out the AdapteveR. Very nice, solid device.

Last edited:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
there is no absolute "best" of anything.. size.. weight.. duarbility.. relaiblity.. ergonomics.. long term running costs.. what it looks like.. all this has to be taken into account when making a purchase..

by current standards a Screwdriver could be described as a good all rounder.. it will do the job most folks require of it.. and it will do it cheaply and reliably..

pretty boring really.. and by definition a good all rounder can never be the best at everything... it will always in some aspects be beaten by something else..

perhaps we should stop looking for the "best" and start looking for something that does the job we want it to...

we dont look for the "best" car.. we just look for something that does the job we want it do and at a price we can afford.. if we wanna go racing we buy race car.. if we wanna go shopping we buy a shopping car.. if we wanna look rich we buy a look rich car..

and whatever type of user of whatever type of product we are.. there will also be several much of a muchness choices.. there is never one simple "the best" of anything...

trying to answer the unanswerable is what forums are about.. but no firm conclusion is ever arrived at..

trog

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Are you saying the Prodigy is going to taste like burnt vapor and it will kill attys a lot? Do you have one?

I can be pretty sure that anyone who orders a high-voltage vaping device will fry a few atomizers during the 'learning curve'. I have built several 6v modded devices and know first hand how distressing this can be. The loss of the atomizers is usually more about user error than the higher voltages. A new user would probably lose fewer atomizers using a 5 volt model than a 6 volt model, initially.

You can't use them like a conventional e-cig. You need to put them down after several draws to cool. Puffing on them like it is an 801/901 will severely overheat the coil at the higher voltage. Dripping on a hot coil is a sure fire way to burn it out quickly. Allowing the atomizer to get a little bit dry (that is when you get your first burnt taste) may also shorten the life of the heating coil if you start digging the taste and run it dry. In the opposite direction, if you flood the atomizer, trying to vape off the excess (which sounds like a gurgle) forces the coil to overheat as it trys to eliminate the juice overflow.

There are likely many that disagree with my statements, but this is how I see it. Once you learn how to use the devices, rotate to other devices while the other one cools down, you can keep an atty running for a month or more.

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Esoteric State of America
depends on what you want, if you like burnt tasting juice, having to replace atty's daily from over volting then there are many devices out there that can beat the SD, but if your looking for solid construction, reliability and outstanding battery life....very few if any can compare
I think I am sold!! ;-)

Mikie Likes It

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
You know what... That is the most informative feedback I have received yet. I am using the 510, and am still having trouble wicking. I always thought the gurgling was good. I cant quite figure out the dripping, seems anything more than 1 drop leaks past the atty down the side of the battery. I fill up my carts about 3/4 the way with fluid, put the stuffing in slowly to let it soak up the juice, and then top it off. I vape 2-3 vapes, then have to add a drop, two, three vapes later, add 2 drops.. and so on. Does this sound normal to you? Sorry about getting off topic, but you sound like you actually know what youre doing.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
This is crazy that 6v or 5v burns up atomizers. If you feed the monsters right this does not happen. This happens when you do not know, how to feed the big volts.
They take alot of juice and if you do not feed them,than yes a burned out atomizer.
No burnt taste either if feed right.

I love the big volt and I have a screwdriver. Screwdriver is in a drawer now.

D05GTO

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
SC
It is basicly the same thing as the Screwdriver.. a battery housing that atomizers attach to.

Here's a comparison of from left to right. Adaptever, 901, 510, 4081, Janty Minifogger.

comparisonr.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
When it comes to getting that analog-like vape, it's all about the volts IMO.

I have both the screwdriver and the GG and they are both very good e-cigs. It just depends on what your needs are.

I used the screwdriver for a few months and I felt like something was still missing.

I use the GG all the time now running at 6 volts. It totally satisfies me with a real analog-like vape.

You can vape with 901 attys, 801 attys, and 510 attys. The 801 attys and 510 attys need an adapter that can be purchased separately.

I did run through a few 901 attys with the GG before I found a few that could take the 6 volts.

But I primarily vape with the 510 atty for a very nice smooth vape. Lots of warm vapor, more vapor, and an awesome throat hit.

When I want to kick it up a notch in warmth and throat hit, I vape with the 901 atty.

I am so tired of the peeps that say with higher volts you get a burnt taste and burnt attys. Someone started this myth and others perpetuate it. If this were true, e-cigs like the Prodigy, the GG, and the Zi Moshi wouldn't be so popular and needed.

Finding the right 901 atty that can take the higher volts might be a consideration, but when you find one that works you'll be in absolute vaping heaven!

For a smoother vape at higher volts though, I would recommend the 510 atty. I've not lost any 510 attys this past month using it with 6 volts. In fact, I've been alternating 2 of them and they are both still working great.

So, if you want to kick it up I would definitely recommend the GG. Lots of warm vapor, more vapor, enhanced flavor and a throat hit that will knock your socks off!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread