• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Can we trust the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Just a question.... when did the Bible become synonymous with the Word of God? I'm not deminishing the Bible's validity or that it is devinely inspired. I'm simply asking about the difference between the Bible and the Word.

Long before there ever was what we consider to be the Bible.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Just a question.... when did the Bible become synonymous with the Word of God? I'm not deminishing the Bible's validity or that it is devinely inspired. I'm simply asking about the difference between the Bible and the Word.

I think it's synonymous based on Scripture....

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." John 1:1-5

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105 - (This scripture reference tells me that without His 'word' - the Bible - I will be in darkness with no direction)

I see your point Hy as JESUS was the living word of God, so I suppose if Jesus lives in us as we in Him, we too are the living word of God. :)

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think it's synonymous based on Scripture....

1. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

2. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." John 1:1-5

3. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

4. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105 - (This scripture reference tells me that without His 'word' - the Bible - I will be in darkness with no direction)

I see your point Hy as JESUS was the living word of God, so I suppose if Jesus lives in us as we in Him, we too are the living word of God. :)

I've added the numbers for reference.
1 refers to the Bible. But it doesn't say that it is the Word. It certainly says that scripture is useful.
2 & 3 are talking about Jesus... and doesn't say that it's the Bible.
4. refers to His Word but does not say that it is the Bible.

I'm not arguing a point. I'm sincerely asking the question.

Do we (generally speaking) worship that which was created rather than the creator???

Might I offer that when we see the Bible as the "Word", it leads us to the Book. When we respect that the Bible says that Jesus is the Word, it points us toward relationship with God through Christ.

Do we lean on the book or do we lean on our relationship with God. Do we trust our understanding of the book or do we trust in our relationship and the Word that is written on our hearts by the Creator?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread