Can You Explain Temp Control Vaping to an Old Fart ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Not saying I am going that way, but I have questions ....
1) Has to be some kind of newfangled electronic chip involved. So it means don't drop it, or get it wet, or use in high-dust environments, and so on ?
2) I am guessing there are several TC mods. What would be the better electronic chip ?
3) Who makes the most durable TC Mods ?
4) I am an M-T-L Vaper who stays around 10 or 11 watts. Is there TC mods for my style of vaping ?
5) I prefer squonking over tanks. Is there such a thing as a Bottom-Feed TC Mod ? (and who makes them ?)
6) I build my own coils, not a problem here. But I have to use something other than A-1 Kanthal ?
7) Would I need a new atomizer, or could I use, say... a Chalice III ?
8) Can I still choose my wattage preferences even at lower temperatures ?
9) Don't take this the wrong way, but can I stay under $300 ?

So, a quality water and dust resistant TC Mod (preferably a squonker) that would be good for a Renaissance Vaper (dislike the term Tootle Puffer) for a decent price (but not cheap).
Quality and Durability mean more than lowest price available to me.

Maybe I should just stay with my dinosaur gear. I am happy there....

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So I'm not the only one ? :D

proxy.php

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

My recent post, in another thread...
girl_wink.gif

Well, my main reason for not switching to TC was the initial difficulty I encountered with user interface on different mods (different chips)--seemed overwhelming to me. Press this button, hold those two buttons for three seconds, press here to scroll, there to select, lock in resistance (coil has to be cool), answer the question, 3 more clicks to adjust temperature, 3 more to adjust wattage, upgrade firmware, remember which mode you're in--and then you're kicked out of TC mode for some reason... Heck, I have a mod that always locks itself and demands to know if I'm using a new coil--even in power mode. :facepalm: Arctic Fox??? Too much for me. :lol:

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Yes you can get bottom fed TC mods. 2 that come to mind (without looking up stuff) are the Lost Vapes Therion BF TC 75C, and the HCigar VT Inbox DNA 75.

I have an Inbox and I can say it's solid, but I doubt water resistant. Dust really shouldn't be that big an issue.

You can use just about any 510 sqonk ready RDA, but need to use SS, Ni, or Titanium. Kanthal will not work for TC.

I have used it sparingly and don't have all that much experience with it to give building details.

Sorry I can't add more.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Please keep in mind I have been a strait mech user (Reos) for years.
My Variable Volt experience is limited to the 15W Buzz Pro chip from 'back in the day', and an occasional use of Pro Vape gear.
Or in other words, this would be a big leap for me...

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've not heard of a water and dust resistant squonker yet.

The geekvape aegis is (water and dust resistant), but it's not a squonker.

Honestly, I would recommend trying tc prior to making any kind of serious investment in a regulated squonker BECAUSE, tc mode seems to be for those who can't build a coil to their prefered vaping style and temperature .. I have this idea that you can do that just fine.

So far with tc, im finding zero benefit. But you could get you an inexpensive tc capable device to see more of what it's like. I might not have this whole tc thing figured out myself.. who knows?

Last edited:

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Please keep in mind I have been a strait mech user (Reos) for years.
My Variable Volt experience is limited to the 15W Buzz Pro chip from 'back in the day', and an occasional use of Pro Vape gear.

I found TC fiddly and not worth the effort. I tried it out on a DNA75 (Thereon), Reuleaux RX Mini and a Minikin V2. I don't get the need.

People complain about dry hits and whatnot all the time, so I'm sure it's been revelatory for a ton of vapers, but I'm dialed in and haven't had problems with my vape in years.

Just my 2¢. Curiosity got the best of me this year and I dropped a good amount of coin on TC mods to see what regulated devices have to offer now, and I was left totally disappointed.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
1) Has to be some kind of newfangled electronic chip involved. So it means don't drop it, or get it wet, or use in high-dust environments, and so on ?
2) I am guessing there are several TC mods. What would be the better electronic chip ?
4) I am an M-T-L Vaper who stays around 10 or 11 watts. Is there TC mods for my style of vaping ?
5) I prefer squonking over tanks. Is there such a thing as a Bottom-Feed TC Mod ? (and who makes them ?)
6) I build my own coils, not a problem here. But I have to use something other than A-1 Kanthal ?

So, a quality water and dust resistant TC Mod (preferably a squonker) that would be good for a Renaissance Vaper (dislike the term Tootle Puffer) for a decent price (but not cheap).
Quality and Durability mean more than lowest price available to me.

Maybe I should just stay with my dinosaur gear. I am happy there....

1) Yes it uses a chip, but you can use it anywhere you would use any other regulated device. If you are coming from pure mechs, yes you need to be a bit more protective of them than that.
2) The best TC boards are the Evolve DNA boards and the Yihi boards (lots of mods use these)
3) I am personally using an HCigar VT 75D (uses the latest DNA board), but there are some mods out there that you can drive over with your truck.
4) TC is kind of irrelevant to vaping style, if the tank supports MTL then yes you can use it to MTL. I am personally using a Serpent SMM with the airflow mostly closed and a restrictive drip tip and vape TC MTL myself using SS316L coils 25watt preheat at 465F. The average wattage used is around 11 watts once the temp is reached.
5) Check out the Lost Vape Therion BF Squonker DNA75C Box Mod. It uses the same DNA board as my mod, but is also a squonker. See video review posted below.
6) Yes you will need to use a TC wire such as Stainless Steel (316L is most common), Titanium, or Nickel (Ni200). I would suggest using SS b/c it is also the only one you can dry burn to clean and also use in wattage mode if desired. You must use one of these b/c TC works by measuring resistance changes as the metal is heated and using calculations to determine the current temp. Kanthal doesn't change resistances so it cannot be used to calculate the temp.
7) Again you can use any Tank/RBA/RDA/etc. that you want for TC. However it needs to have a bottom fill squonk pin if you want to squonk. I would not suggest using a topper that uses prebuilt coil heads b/c you don't always know for sure what material was used in the coils.
8) Sort of. You set a wattage for "pre heat" which is just the wattage it uses to get the coil to the target temp. Once there the mod will regulate the wattage to maintain that temp steady. You do want to set the "preheat" wattage higher than your normal vaping wattage to get the coil to temp faster, but not way higher.
9) Yes the lost Vape Squonker I mentioned is probably around $150 but there are probably cheaper devices out there, although I can't say enough that the DNA board is really good at TC and cheaper devices are...well...cheaper.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Well, my main reason for not switching to TC was the initial difficulty I encountered with user interface on different mods (different chips)--seemed overwhelming to me. Press this button, hold those two buttons for three seconds, press here to scroll, there to select, lock in resistance (coil has to be cool), answer the question, 3 more clicks to adjust temperature, 3 more to adjust wattage, upgrade firmware, remember which mode you're in--and then you're kicked out of TC mode for some reason... Heck, I have a mod that always locks itself and demands to know if I'm using a new coil--even in power mode. :facepalm: Arctic Fox??? Too much for me. :lol:

All I can say is the DNA 75C board with 3 button controls makes changing modes easier than it has ever been. I built my coil set the wattage and temp and now the only thing I ever press is the fire button. No need to even mess around with adjusting wattage or anything.

Sure you can build coils and set wattage to get what you want, great flavor and clouds. I did it for years. I prefer TC primarily because you can keep from over cooking your juice and releasing bad things.

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
The electronics are inside the mod and are no more/less sensitive than any other regulated mod's electronics as far as I know
Stay away from the Kangertech Dripbox 160 as it uses all 160 Watts of power to heat up the coil, causing it to waver on/off in a funky manner-but the Joyetech Elitar Pipe is great using nickel atomizers and it lets you control the Wattage that you use-my Sigelei Fuchai 200 Watt+TC (the first one) did just fine but won't work with stainless steel
I would think that the better companies will make better mods
All you are doing is controlling the max temp of the coil and how much power is used to get there
There are bunches, but stay away from that KT DP 160 and look for one that allows you to set Wattage in TC
Yes you will have to use a different material to build your coil with-like nickel, stainless steel, nichrome, or titanium
Check the specs of the specific atomizer
Depends on the mod
Yup. Easily under $300

Hope that helps.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Pop, temp control simply adds another layer of regulation to the vaping experience. I mostly vape using temp control but truthfully i dont think it really significantly adds to the quality or flavor. It affects the style more than anything. For me at least. I see benefits for others that do not benefit me. I'll write more tomorrow when I'm at my laptop.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
All I can say is the DNA 75C board with 3 button controls makes changing modes easier than it has ever been. I built my coil set the wattage and temp and now the only thing I ever press is the fire button. No need to even mess around with adjusting wattage or anything.

Sure you can build coils and set wattage to get what you want, great flavor and clouds. I did it for years. I prefer TC primarily because you can keep from over cooking your juice and releasing bad things.

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

You seem to like plugging that thread, but I'm sure you know, at least I hope you do, that a coil can be built to run cool if you like a cool vape, or warm if you like a warmer vape, you can build them to heat up quickly, or to heat up slowly.

This is what some of us are talking about anyway. I don't see the point in fiddling with tc when we are already building coils.

So far, it's given me virtually nothing..

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Right. Um... see my posts above. ;)

Sorry I meant to quote multiple posts. To you was the first part about how the new DNA 75C board solves your problem of hard to mess with menus and I have never been kicked out of TC mode or had any of those problems.

The rest should have directed toward directed to Opinionated and VictorViper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread