Cartomizers vs Clearomizers: subjective difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the functional difference between cartomizers and clearomizers, but how does this affect vaping?

I've only used cartomizers (I use KGO batteries), but was considering trying clearomizers. What are the benefits of each as far as filling, vapor production, flavor, etc. is concerned? What are the pros of using one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Clearomizers give you a looser/milkier cloud of vapor. I've found cartomizers to offer more flavor and throat hit than most clearomizers. If I had to choose a clearomizer to use, it would be an itaste30.

Cartomizer pro's- better flavor, more consolidated cloud, cooler tanks and such, different wick densities with the different brands for different liquids or preference...I've never had one leak.
Clearomizer pro's- no time needed to spend with hands on priming, milkier clouds.... If I had more pro's to list, I'd be using them instead of carto's.

It's really what you get out of it. Don't get stuck on one delivery method in the beginning. Branch out and experience what is available to you. You may find you'd rather deal with dripping or something of that sort than those choices..

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I understand the functional difference between cartomizers and clearomizers, but how does this affect vaping?

I've only used cartomizers (I use KGO batteries), but was considering trying clearomizers. What are the benefits of each as far as filling, vapor production, flavor, etc. is concerned? What are the pros of using one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

It's all very subjective, really. Cartomizers come with a polyfill stuffing inside and some people don't care for the taste. Cartomizers are truly disposable because they can't be cleaned or dry burned. On the other hand, people who use cartomizers in tanks often feel that that's the ultimate in vaping.

I started with cartomizers (I like Boge) and carto tanks, but I moved to clearomizers. I like Kanger BCC line--they are all good, especailly the recent upgrades. They are easy to fill, you always know how much eliquid there is inside and the heating coils can be cleaned, dry burned and even rebuild.

Try them and see for yourself! They are inexpensive and really enjoyable. T3S, baby T3, eVod, mini ProTank2--they are all good.

Good luck and welcome to ECF!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

Considering the low costs of either option you really need to try both because this can be a very individual preference.

In general, most people claim better flavor from cartos versus clearos.

Cartos can be a pain to fill and have a relatively short life span compared to clearos. I can fill a Kanger T3s clearo once - and I'm all set for nearly 24 hours. How many times do you top off your carto during a 24 hour period?

When a clearo production drops off you can clean them effectively to get back "like new" production. With a BCC type, you turn it upside down, unscrew the coil base to clean the coil, and lose no liquid doing it. When a carto dies... you toss it. Cartos waste liquid in this regard, because you have to perform all sorts of PITA procedures to get the liquid out of the dead carto and transfer it to a new carto - and all that wastes both time and liquids. Or you don't bother and chuck it - full of liquid.

The bottom line is clearos are a lot more convenient. Cartos may give you better flavor. I'd rather take the convenience and accept the trade off.

Thanks all for your help!

One thing that came to mind and I was wondering about, how do clearos work as far multiple flavors? Do you generally just have to use one clearo per flavor if you don't want to mix, or is cleaning worthwhile?

Either way I think I'll stick with cartos for now as I haven't had any issues (although filling is kind of a pain).

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
...When a carto dies... you toss it. Cartos waste liquid in this regard, because you have to perform all sorts of PITA procedures to get the liquid out of the dead carto and transfer it to a new carto - and all that wastes both time and liquids. Or you don't bother and chuck it - full of liquid...

I very much agree with the prior posts, one never knows what they will end up preferring, so try every option you can.

Regarding "wasting" juice when the tank is full, but the carto is dead: as long as the carto tank you are using has interchangeable top and bottom caps, as opposed to the type with a concave bottom cap (which, personally, I've found to be low quality), switching out cartos isn't difficult. Click on the link in my signature where it says "Swap it."

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks all for your help!

One thing that came to mind and I was wondering about, how do clearos work as far multiple flavors? Do you generally just have to use one clearo per flavor if you don't want to mix, or is cleaning worthwhile?

Either way I think I'll stick with cartos for now as I haven't had any issues (although filling is kind of a pain).

You can use multiple flavors in the same clearo. If the flavors are compatible, just refill with the new flavor. If they are not, you can do several things when you want to change to a different eliquid;

1) remove the remnants of the juice from the tank, rinse the tank body with warm water and air dry, clean the coil (I soak them in PGA for a couple of hours) and reassemble;

2) rinse that tank out as per (1) and use a new coil for the new flavor; or

3) add 0.5 ml (or more) of unflavored (just plain PG, or PG/VG mixture, with or without nicotine) in the tank and vape that until the coil is clean--PG is a great solvent and will clean your wick and coils, especially if you increase your voltage a bit. Think of it as a 'wet burn."

nqabassist26

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
SoCal
Cartos and cartotanks have been in my vaping repertoire for years now, as they deserve it for being so tried and true. But I do have to disagree with some of the posters mentioning that cartos have better flavor than bottom wicking clearos.

I don't like to change my set up often, so I continued using cartos forever, ignoring releases of all the newer clearos coming out (Awful CE2s were the only clearo I had much exposure to, so I wrote them off). I was then presented with a Kanger Protank, and gave it a shot after learning about its wicking system compared to the old clearos.

I was in bliss to be quite frank.

No chance of burning any filler material, no real priming, no slotting for a tank, CLEAN taste, decent vapor production. It all made me feel like a grouch who had ignored technological advances for so long.

And everything went wonderfully, until I realized that they have their own problems as well.

Although minor, I've noticed most bottom-wicking clearo tanks to have occasional leaking issues, flooding issues, dry hits and sometimes lackluster vapor/TH depending on the juice.

I build my Kayfun and RSST and use those as my daily tanks, so most of this isn't an issue for me anymore, but I can say that at this point, if I had to go back to using a "normal" tank, I'd still go back to a clearomizer set up as its benefits really outshine its negatives.

My vote is to give it a shot, you might end up liking it a lot more than cartos.

grayscale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2013
DFW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread